IGNORED

Plathville Coming to TLC

zeebaneighba

I think I found the solution- headphones! I feel bad, but I'm about to be like that person on public transportation who puts headphones on, even if they aren't listening to anything. I think he'll not talk to me if I have them in.

BTW- I feel like I sound like a horrible wife. I love and adore my husband to bits, but a girl's gotta work!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I think I found the solution- headphones! I feel bad, but I'm about to be like that person on public transportation who puts headphones on, even if they aren't listening to anything. I think he'll not talk to me if I have them in.

BTW- I feel like I sound like a horrible wife. I love and adore my husband to bits, but a girl's gotta work!

My husband did that ALL the time...like come to tell me about some TV show I was SO not interested in. I finally put a sign on the door to my office that said something to the effect of "unless the house is on fire, someone is bleeding profusely or you're bringing me coffee...STAY THE HELL OUT". 

Homeschooling is KILLING me!!! I can't get anything else done in the mornings because I'm teaching little one. Afternoons I can get some things done since she does zoom classes. I STILL don't get those women who said that homeschooling only took a few hours a day. From 8 to 11, she does the assignments from her PS teacher and the enrichment activities we do here. Then at noon she does her zoom class until 3. I mean, mornings involve me actively teaching...explaining, showing examples, finding visual aids, asking questions to see what she remembers. This is harder than teaching my AutoCAD classes, which I'll start again at the end of January. I need a vacation!!! Oh and keeping up with my bible study too. Holly Molly...I need a 36 hour day again. Yeah, retired my ass! 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

The new episode of Plathville is actually really good. They really screwed their kids up emotionally. 

I especially feel for Moriah and her essentially shutting down at any emotional distress. Not sure how much is staged but Max is such a mature and upstanding guy. Seems like he really cares for her while also having boundaries for himself. 

This show is what the Duggars would be if any of the kids went rogue (apart from Jill)

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

On 11/30/2020 at 3:10 PM, Gobsmacked said:

There is no way that Moriah Plath would look at Timbits romantically. Zero, zilch. 

The speculation was about Lydia right? Not Moriah.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

The speculation was about Lydia right? Not Moriah.

Yes, Moriah said that a guy was messaging her asking about Lydia. So the guy was interested in Lydia romantically but also talking to Moriah.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

I watched last night's episode. In one segment with Lydia and her mother, there were workbooks in evidence. No working together, just filling in the blanks. I clearly heard the  oldest three, (married, model, and Moriah) give some sort of reference to "taking things one step at a time" and "shutting down" . To me it was related to fear. Of doing the wrong thing, of saying the wrong thing, of making a mistake.. They all seem nearly paralyzed. 

Except Model Boy and his "I like to show off when I'm driving." Which explains the busted up car...

Their parents really fucked them over.

• Sad 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

50 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I watched last night's episode. In one segment with Lydia and her mother, there were workbooks in evidence. No working together, just filling in the blanks.

Oh really? I'm sitting here with little one doing math...like she's sitting next to me and I'm explaining how to find the answer. We've been at it about 20 minutes now and probably will go for 15-20 more. I'm heading out later to buy a white board I can hang up in my office space to use for teaching both her and my AutoCAD class that starts in January. This homeschooling shit is WORK!!! After our morning session, I want a friggin NAP!!!! I'm just as exhausted as if I were teaching my autoCAD class. 

Yes, some of her workbooks are "fill in the blank" but those also take WORK for me. Explain the topic, examples, guide through the first couple of exercises, then be available for questions. Maybe it's because little one is essentially an ESL learner (she's only been in the US a year, from Mongolia), but man...this shit takes WORK. Makes my brain hurt! BUT...I'm trying to do the best I can with little one so she loses no ground during remote schooling. 3 hours of school in the morning is some serious shit. We fill the time with school work, both assigned from her school and homeschooling stuff. Like, we do reading, math, writing, spelling, language arts. I go easy on the amount of work because of said ESL situation...we have to stop and look things up in the dictionary at times. Other times we have to discuss something she is unfamiliar with (see Mongolia). So, it takes a helluva lot more work than Kim Plath puts in just to educate ONE child. Yes, I'm sitting here typing but...she's right next to me (like literally) and I'm stopping to help her as I write. 

::::off soapbox:::::rant over

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

On 11/25/2020 at 12:05 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Yeah, but they’re not fractured. They’re breeding for Jesus under their own roof.

He works in Tallahassee, which is the capital of Florida, so I assumed that he’s working for the state government. 

On 11/25/2020 at 12:05 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Yeah, but they’re not fractured. They’re breeding for Jesus under their own roof.

He works in Tallahassee, which is the capital of Florida, so I assumed that he’s working for the state government. 

Barry works for a private consulting firm as a transportation planner.

• Thank You 3

In this week’s episode, Moriah brought Max to visit her family at his request, even though they’ve broken up. Everyone involved found the visit awkward and weird. Kim thinks they’re obviously going to be dating. The preview showed that next week Max teaches her to dance, and they look very attracted to each other.

Meanwhile, Ethan and Olivia didn’t get the house they wanted to buy. Olivia whines about how she left her hometown for a small town where everyone knows her business. Sounds like she might want to move away. (My husband: “They’re gonna end up getting divorced.”) Also, they go to a liquor store and Ethan buys a big bottle of whiskey even though he’s never tried it before. He really likes the whiskey, and drinks it directly from the bottle, not concerned that it’s a work night. He doesn’t know that “slippery nipple” is just a naughty name for a jello shot flavor and not a sex game.

Barry and the boys went to a swimming hole and Barry jumped in from a tall tree.

• Thank You 9

Yeah, I have serious doubts on whether Ethan & Olivia stay married.   They just have very different and conflicting personalities.  If they dated like normal teens, it would be the cool popular girl dating the aww shucks guy, and it would end fairly quickly.

Olivia seems to have hit the resentment point with him, and that’s hard to come back from.  I hope they at least wait on having kids. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 12/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

In this week’s episode, Moriah brought Max to visit her family at his request, even though they’ve broken up. Everyone involved found the visit awkward and weird. Kim thinks they’re obviously going to be dating. The preview showed that next week Max teaches her to dance, and they look very attracted to each other.

Meanwhile, Ethan and Olivia didn’t get the house they wanted to buy. Olivia whines about how she left her hometown for a small town where everyone knows her business. Sounds like she might want to move away. (My husband: “They’re gonna end up getting divorced.”) Also, they go to a liquor store and Ethan buys a big bottle of whiskey even though he’s never tried it before. He really likes the whiskey, and drinks it directly from the bottle, not concerned that it’s a work night. He doesn’t know that “slippery nipple” is just a naughty name for a jello shot flavor and not a sex game.

Barry and the boys went to a swimming hole and Barry jumped in from a tall tree.

Since we know the show has a lot of staged situations i will asume that situation with Max was created just for the drama.

This shows seems so scripted to me in general, and to be honest i dont like the way they are staging and editing it. I would like the narrative here to be about how the way Ethan and his brothers and sisters were raised is so damaging, but what we get instead is how they are so innocent and good and are now being corrupted by the outside world. Just in this episode we can see Olivia encouraging Ethan to drink whiskey directly from the bottle and telling him that everyone does it (WTF?) and this when it was stated in previous episodes that alcoholism runs in his family. 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1

@llucie You're so right. The editing is so weird... no one on this show comes out looking good. It's like the opposite of 19 KAC where everything was edited to look squeaky clean. Moriah and Micah, who should attract some sympathy, are made to look superficial and ditzy. Olivia comes across as whiny and resentful. Ethan is a goofball who looks dumber than he actually is. Barry is awkward/creepy as hell and Kim is a manipulative bitch. 

I'm sure the TLC money is very tempting but you couldn't pay me enough to look this bad on TV.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

I think the show has minimal to no staging actually. What we're seeing is family drama aired out and typically no one ever looks good when that happens. And Micah and Moriah can be sympathetic while a little superficial and ditzy. Its interesting that I can understand where every single person on this show is coming from. It shows how people can want to get along but just be too different in wants and needs to coexist. At least without a lot of turmoil.  

• Upvote 3

I think it’s fine for literal teenagers on their own for the first time after enduring a shitty childhood to come off as superficial and ditzy. It could be a lot worse. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

Moriah’s makeup disturbs me.  This is not a criticism, she’s beautiful and deserves to do as she damn well pleases, but I get the impression she’s hiding behind a mask.  I hope this isn’t the case and she knows she’s beautiful without that mask.

I don’t think we’ve seen the true toxicity of her parents, they’re hiding it very well.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Moriah’s makeup disturbs me.  This is not a criticism, she’s beautiful and deserves to do as she damn well pleases, but I get the impression she’s hiding behind a mask.  I hope this isn’t the case and she knows she’s beautiful without that mask.

I don’t think we’ve seen the true toxicity of her parents, they’re hiding it very well.

I noticed the make-up too-I feel like that’s a stage many kids go through. They experiment. Maybe she’s just going through this later because she couldn’t before.

Edited by Pleiades_06
  • Upvote 12

I’ve only watched the first two episodes so far and what stood out to me was Micah and Moriah sitting down with their parents and Kim and Barry being SO dismissive about the lack of education and not caring how hard it is for them to have to get GED’s because they failed them. I think Kim was talking about Micah scoring in the 95th percentile of the 12th grade test, isn’t that scholarship material? When Micah said “we don’t even have diplomas, we all have to get GED’s” that hurt and for Barry to say will you forgive us for perceived or actual wrong doings? What?? You screwed your kids out of an education and Moriah had to quit one of her jobs because school is too much...why are they not helping their children? I can’t wrap my head around it. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

This week on “Welcome to Plathville”...

* Ethan and Olivia planned to get couples’ tattoos. She’s pushing it but he has doubts, especially when she says she might add on on hers later. He says he wishes she paid more attention to his feelings. They finally get the tattoos, which are a K over a heart and a Q over a heart on the inside of their wrists.

* The little Plath girls have expressed curiosity about the death of their brother Joshua. Kim tells the story again and says she wants to take the whole family to his grave.

* Moriah and Max get back together and they kiss.

* Olivia plans to go to California with her friend, also named Olivia, so that other Olivia can make a video to promote Olivia’s photography business. Uh huh. She’s clearly wanting to get out of town and away from her husband. He wanders into the room while the Olivias are on video chat and says he wants to go too. Olivia obviously doesn’t want him to, but she says okay. She says they’ll go to Joshua Tree. He says, “It’s a tree in the desert?”

* Next week: The estranged Plaths miss Isaac. Olivia and Ethan are in LA. There will be an “explosive finale.”

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

Did you see the segment of Micah skate boarding with a friend named Ashburn? That was Ashburn Roberts of the Roberts family the Bates family is friends with (Of which Campbell married into the Morton family). 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

4 hours ago, Flower987 said:

Did you see the segment of Micah skate boarding with a friend named Ashburn? That was Ashburn Roberts of the Roberts family the Bates family is friends with (Of which Campbell married into the Morton family). 

It makes sense. They all live in southern Georgia. I imagine most of the fundies in southern Georgia have run across one another at some point. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/16/2020 at 9:26 AM, Coconutwater said:

...and for Barry to say will you forgive us for perceived or actual wrong doings? 

That sounds like one of those crappy non-apologies, "I'm sorry you got all offended over nothing". 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

7 minutes ago, moreorlessnu said:

That sounds like one of those crappy non-apologies, "I'm sorry you got all offended over nothing". 

I had the exact same thought. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since Ethan Plath decided to stop having contact with his parents, he and his wife Olivia are focused on making new happy memories together.

This year, after testing negative for COVID-19, the couple traveled from Georgia to be with his grandparents in Minnesota, where the eldest son of Welcome to Plathville's Kim and Barry Plath experienced his first snowy Christmas.

"This is Ethan’s first white Christmas because he didn’t celebrate Christmas growing up, and so it has been a lot of fun. We’ve watched a lot of Christmas movies and hung out with his grandparents here," Olivia, 22, tells PEOPLE.

Also joining the pair for the holiday was Ethan's younger brother Micah, 19. "I’m really excited to go skiing with [Ethan] tomorrow too. He’s never been skiing and Micah’s up here; Micah has," says Olivia. "So I know that they’re going to have a blast together."

And for New Year's, "we’ll probably still be skiing actually," says Olivia. "We’re going to go up north by the Canada border, so it’ll be a very cold New Year’s."

As seen on the current season 2 of the TLC reality series, the conservative Plath family is at odds and has split into three households — Ethan and Olivia, Micah and Moriah, and Kim and Barry with their youngest children — though they only all live blocks apart....

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/welcome-plathville-olivia-plath-says-233429499.html

Edited by Marmion
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

That is so sad. Kim and Barry are more examples of whack jobs who had a normal upbringing and decided to deny their children the same. We won't discuss the educational (or lack thereof) aspects of their lifestyle.

• I Agree 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic