IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 4: Lick the Fork

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Today's devotional is up early! It is the same stuff she has said in the past. Don't make food an idol, focus on God, blah, blah, blah. None of this applies to Gwen and her making an idol out of worldly possessions and her hair. Or junk food. Gwen looooves junk food. She ads some shaming for those who initially lose weight on her program but then gain it back. It isn't because Gwen gives out shitty advice to starve yourself and subsist off diet soda and junk food, no it is because the person who gains weight back isn't trusting God. 

The ONLY time in my life I obsessed about food like this was before inpatient treatment for my ED when I was a teenager.

She has seriously disordered thinking and needs professional help as do, I’m sure, many of those she has influenced.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a weightloss for children video from 2012. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44IoGMYU1Es

Starting at about minute 32:45 Gwen talks about withholding food from Elizabeth when she was a child. Asking her what her tummy wants and when Elizabeth says that her tummy wants it, she disregards her childs answer as not understanding and sends her out to play to distract her. 

It is hilarious tho. Obey your parents, obey your mommy and daddy always. Unless they aren't in Remnant, then it's basically ok to disobey them. 

46 minutes ago, SJWaterford said:

Starting at about minute 32:45 Gwen talks about withholding food from Elizabeth when she was a child. Asking her what her tummy wants and when Elizabeth says that her tummy wants it, she disregards her childs answer as not understanding and sends her out to play to distract her. 

It is hilarious tho. Obey your parents, obey your mommy and daddy always. Unless they aren't in Remnant, then it's basically ok to disobey them.

I couldn't listen to the entire thing. I listened to the beginning 5 minutes, skipped to the 3 teenagers on stage - the boy in the middle saying (paraphrase) "well when I stopped trying to be my own person then everything went great"- WTF?! Then I skipped ahead to the "charming" <:puke-right:> story about little Elizabeth- oh my. The poor little girl. It sounds like she was asking to eat what was already on her plate because Gwen said that she would bag it up an put her (Elizabeth's) name on the bag and she could have it tomorrow. So to me that said that the food was already in front of Elizabeth and her mom said no, stop eating.

Then a little after that Gwen says that when kids get right with the Lord they have all their prayers answered. That isn't how it works. All prayers are not answered. Prosperity gospel - do it per these rules and you will be blessed. Not how it happens! UGH!

Example outside money & food - I am an expert in my field, I am looked to by many across my state for advice in my field but my own employer doesn't see it. I haven't gotten any promotions, no recognition, and often not listened to by those in my office. I have done everything right but I am still a mushroom (kept in the dark and piled with manure). Does that mean that God doesn't have favor with me? According to prosperity preachers like Gwen & Joel & Creflo I am at fault for not getting promotions, recognition or respect. :pulling_hair:

13 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

The poor little girl. It sounds like she was asking to eat what was already on her plate because Gwen said that she would bag it up an put her (Elizabeth's) name on the bag and she could have it tomorrow. So to me that said that the food was already in front of Elizabeth and her mom said no, stop eating.

Yes, that is exactly what it sounds like. This is horrifying and it is no wonder Elizabeth looks like she is starving herself. 

She said "When Elizabeth was little she would ask for more than what I thought she could use." This wasn't about Elizabeth becoming in tune with her body, it was about Gwen controlling her and refusing her food when she asked for it because GWEN thought she didn't need it. Then Gwen would ask her "Okay, what does your tummy say?" Apparently the only acceptable answer was that her tummy didn't want food because if she said she wanted food Gwen would claim she was being rebellious and deny her food. 

Seriously, Elizabeth has to need massive amounts of therapy to recover from what her mother did to her. And she probably needs to cut Gwen  out of her life. Especially since Gwen seems to be most proud that Elizabeth didn't gain weight after pregnancy. It is clear Gwen would view her as a failure if she didn't remain stick skinny. 

RF people. This is NOT OKAY!! This is not okay at all. Anyone interested in Weigh Down or Remnant Fellowship, read this and realize this is what Gwen did to her own child. It isn't okay to treat children this way. This was all about Gwen having so much food control that her own daughter as a small child wasn't allowed to say she wanted food if Gwen thought she shouldn't eat. 

I asked earlier how the cult deals with children. 

This is just so sick. Poor Elizabeth and all the kids in that cult. 

I am honestly afraid Elizabeth won’t make it out of RF alive. If her mother hasn’t done anything to help her by now, she never will. 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

She said "When Elizabeth was little she would ask for more than what I thought she could use." This wasn't about Elizabeth becoming in tune with her body, it was about Gwen controlling her and refusing her food when she asked for it because GWEN thought she didn't need it. Then Gwen would ask her "Okay, what does your tummy say?" Apparently the only acceptable answer was that her tummy didn't want food because if she said she wanted food Gwen would claim she was being rebellious and deny her food. 

JHFC! Goddamn this woman! My heart is crying for that hungry little girl. 

Dear Gwen, you NEVER try to measure a kid's stomach. Most average kids will eat when they're hungry, eat until they feel satisfied and go on their way. I've seen a newborn eat 3 times as much as "they" claimed he should. He STILL eats like that at 31 years old. 

What have you done to this child? God will hold YOU responsible for your sins against her. 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am honestly afraid Elizabeth won’t make it out of RF alive. If her mother hasn’t done anything to help her by now, she never will. 

I think you are 100% right.  Elizabeth's mother won't help her daughter, she doesn't see any need for her daughter to get help.  She essentially caused the problem.

At the start Gwen says that her eating plan is the most essential thing a parent needs to teach their children. Not to love God, not to help others, not to be kind, but to follow Gwen's insane diet plan. She also says she loves watching children learn about her eating plan. These poor, poor kids. 

Today's daily devotional seems like it was just tossed together real fast. 

When we put God’s words into practice, can you believe everything He takes care of each day?

This sentence doesn't flow at all. Switching from "we" to "you" throws the sentence off. Apparently they didn't proof read this. It would sound better if it was "When we put God's words into practice we can't believe everything  He takes care of each day." 

First of all, He creates us, gives us a working mind and body, gives us a voice and hearing, and then gives us a desire to find HIM. And then He shows us throughout the day that when we obey His desires, this Lord of the Universe hears and answers our prayers! Our hearts may hurt and He encourages us. We are hungry and He feeds us – feeds us well! We are lonely and He sends a phone call or card or scripture. We are needy and HE provides. HE HAS PROVIDED – and we only have to look to Him for everything. When you are young and filled with energy, the world tells you to “make things happen.” But when you mature and see the Truth of who YOU are vs. who GOD is, you learn to go to HIM for all needs. He rejects the prideful and gives grace and help to the humble who need Him and call upon Him. Read all of Matthew 7 today for a filled heart!

What about the hungry people who don't get food? What about the lonely people who never get that phone call? What about the people who hurt and never get comfort? Gwen gets what she needs and wants because she is a wealthy white woman. She seems to spare no thought for those who don't have her privilege. 

Today's devotional is not about food! 

When you focus on Jesus, don’t focus on His externals…focus on His natural love relationship with God! By imitating THAT, you will grow in love with God, and don’t let any false teachers tell you any different, because nothing can come between you and this love for God when your heart cries, “Abba, Father!” You’ve learned that your heart cannot love two things, so don’t let Satan’s false accusations burden you. And no longer live in fear that you are not “good enough,” because perfect love of God casts out all fear! Just love—simply LOVE—and you will feel it when you love God, and you will see it in your actions. The world and the things of the world simply will not matter to you anymore. What freedom!

What are God's externals? And I think the things of this world matter a great deal to Gwen judging on how she micro-manages weddings. 

Speaking of externals, I was just on Google Maps looking for Remnant Fellowship, Brentwood, TN.  From the wedding photos, it looked like a fairly large church.  Then I noticed the mega churches sitting right next door to Remnant.  They are huge!  Makes Remnant Fellowship look rather thin and anemic, ha ha.

While you are in Google Maps, be sure to take a quick look through the reviews.  They are either, run for your lives -or- bestest walk with Gwen God ever (no in-between)!

44 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Makes Remnant Fellowship look rather thin and anemic, ha ha.

It is tiny compared to the rest of the churches! 

Some of those reviews are something else!

I told fellowship I was sick and needed the care of a doctor they told me to quit being selfish and thinking of myself and just go to church and pray. There a snake worship in money hungry wicked group

Stay far from this church. It's bad news. Nothing good comes from it.

This place is trash

It's nothing more than a meat market full of manufactured "Christians". You get treated like a side of beef. It looks good on the outside but it's really a house of wickedness! Don't even go there!

absolutely corrupt leadership.

The other mega churches in that area have the occasional negative review but nothing like RF. 

55 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It is tiny compared to the rest of the churches! 

Some of those reviews are something else!

The other mega churches in that area have the occasional negative review but nothing like RF. 

Haha...

I forgot about the snake worshiping rumors that swirled around town. Heh. Good times... *sarcasm*

1 hour ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

Haha...

I forgot about the snake worshiping rumors that swirled around town. Heh. Good times... *sarcasm*

Can you elaborate? Do you know how the rumors began? 

5 hours ago, SuperNova said:

Can you elaborate? Do you know how the rumors began? 

The rumors started when the Smith trial kicked into gear during the mid 2000’s. I personally do not know why the rumors started but I know that it was definitely a local thing that spread to a near national level. To be clear RF does not worship with or worship snakes. If that were the case I would’ve left that place sooner. I like snakes but the concept of worshiping with them (like the “ Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name” church) is to be frank, absolutely f*cking insane. 

2 hours ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

The rumors started when the Smith trial kicked into gear during the mid 2000’s. I personally do not know why the rumors started but I know that it was definitely a local thing that spread to a near national level. To be clear RF does not worship with or worship snakes. If that were the case I would’ve left that place sooner. I like snakes but the concept of worshiping with them (like the “ Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name” church) is to be frank, absolutely f*cking insane. 

Removed. See comment above!

On December 7, 2018 at 2:22 PM, SJWaterford said:

This is so triggering for me. I was slightly overweight as a teenager and my mother was constantly ridiculing me and telling me I didn't need to eat anymore. Once, at a party, she saw me putting an appetizer in my mouth and asked if I wanted to be far all my life. Of course, she insisted she did it for my own good.

I was lucky that I escaped at age 18, found help for my ED and eventually healed. Poor Elizabeth has never been able to escape. She's suffered emotional abuse for decades and been made to feel as if Gwen is doing it to save her soul. I can't imagine if the guilt a felt about everything else as a fundie were meshed with the guilt my mother put on me because of my weight.

Elizabeth is in serious need of an intervention.

To the former RFers.  During your time in RF did anyone ever even hint that Elizabeth looked ill (anorexic)/ dangerously thin/ skeletal?  Was anyone ever even remotely concerned? Did members actually say they thought she looked good, and her weight was just fine?  Was/ is her dangerous underweight thinness seen as a model to emulate? Are there other RF members (who we haven't see) as thin as Elizabeth?

And...... looking at the weight loss for children video I noticed that in 2012 Gwen was thin, but not nearly as skeletal as she is now. Plus her foundation was a normal color, not the goth white she favors today.  Any thoughts on what caused the changes?

4 hours ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

I like snakes but the concept of worshiping with them (like the “ Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name” church) is to be frank, absolutely f*cking insane. 

Amen! Except I don't particularly like snakes... the only thing worse for me would be worshipping with crocodiles.

I have to admit I still kind of want to see someone do the snake worshipping with a taipan though. Or a tiger snake - both aggressive, both will chase you, both highly venomous. I'll watch remotely though, preferably from another continent.

No way Gwen would allow snake worship! It would take attention off herself!

Today's devotional.

What is the key to showing our love for the Father? The answer is here: focus on God and His sheep. Jesus wants His lambs – His followers, those who are seeking to know more about Him – to be fed and not to go hungry for the knowledge of Him or for His love and His will. Jesus wants us who love and care for Him to love and care for others in the world, for ALL are His lambs. In fact, we should be more concerned about feeding His sheep than feeding ourselves, for we know that God will take care of us!

I feel like teachings like this are subtle ways for her to shame those who don't exist on three chips and diet soda. Also, if this is true, why hasn't Gwen sold her huge house, tons of possessions and channeled that money into starting food kitchens all over TN? Gwen lives a life of excess, the only thing she denies herself is food. 

To feed followers of Christ would be to feed them truth that helps them turn from wrong paths and turn toward the true path of facing the cross daily and denying themselves daily. You will be persecuted if you are helping to gain more territory for God’s rule by helping others get their will out of the way. But BLESSED are they who are persecuted for Christ’s sake.

Well we are doing God's work! Gwen clearly isn't getting her own will out of the way and is not denying herself the things of this world. It doesn't matter how many people she could help, she chooses living in the lap of luxury over doing God's work.  Any criticism we get is just a sign we are on the right path, especially since RF folks couldn't even attempt to answer questions in regard to Gwen's gluttonous lifestyle. Thanks Gwen for this devotional to show we are actually on the right path!

I'm sure, though, Gwen is telling people that any criticism she gets, no matter how valid is just a sign she is being persecuted for serving God. This gives her a way out of addressing real problems people have with her rather hypocritical teachings.  

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Gwen's gluttonous lifestyle

This is really true.  Gwen *is* gluttonous with her overblown love of the things money can buy.  

Can you imagine a food kitchen run by Gwen.  "Sorry, you've had your two bites, put the sandwich down and back away slowly..." 

4 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Gwen *is* gluttonous with her overblown love of the things money can buy.  

Yes. She lives a life of pure excess. The only thing she seems to restrict is food. 

13 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

To the former RFers.  During your time in RF did anyone ever even hint that Elizabeth looked ill (anorexic)/ dangerously thin/ skeletal?  Was anyone ever even remotely concerned? Did members actually say they thought she looked good, and her weight was just fine?  Was/ is her dangerous underweight thinness seen as a model to emulate? Are there other RF members (who we haven't see) as thin as Elizabeth?

And...... looking at the weight loss for children video I noticed that in 2012 Gwen was thin, but not nearly as skeletal as she is now. Plus her foundation was a normal color, not the goth white she favors today.  Any thoughts on what caused the changes?

Honestly, before I left Elizabeth didn’t look sickly. Maybe slightly underweight but not ill. When I left I still had a BMI that was in the “healthy” range but it was only barely above the lower cutoff. I don’t know what caused the changes.. My heart hurts for Elizabeth though. I can’t imagine the emotional abuse that she has endured for years. 

Wow.  So in the early 90s, my church had Weighdown Workshop classes and I actually lost 20 pounds or so on it. It didn’t seem all that outlandish- I recall the focus being on avoiding emotional eating (which was a bad habit of mine) and only eating when I was actually hungry.  I didn’t go along with everything she said in the program, but it did help me get my appetite under control for a time. When I moved to Nashville in the mid-90s, she was still Church of Christ and she and her family attended Otter Creek C of C (her brother attended the same C of C I did at the time, although I didn’t know him).  I remember hearing she had left Otter Creek and started her own church, and I drove past the Remnant building in Brentwood a million times, but had no idea what the deal was. I did hear that churches had stopped teaching Weighdown so I figured something must have happened, but I moved away from Nashville over 10 years ago, nobody I knew was involved with Remnant, and I forgot about Gwen... dang!!!  Guess I have been living in a bubble where she is concerned for quite awhile now.  BTW, I recall that her hair started getting a bit taller in the mid 90s in some of the Weighdown materials, but nothing like the craziness it is now.  And when did her daughter, Michele, change her name to Elizabeth????  I remember thinking it was kinda cheesy that her kids were named Michael and Michele.   Michele/Elizabeth really does look sickly.

I apologize that I am not really contributing to the discussion here and just rambling, but i honestly had no idea she had gone from a pretty mainstream Church of Christ member in the late 80s/early 90s to a cult leader with crazy hair. I’ve got some reading to do, clearly.  And that wedding video was the craziest thing I have seen in a LONG time.  It really was more over the top than the royal weddings!!!

Gwen posted a video of her grandkids on Instagram. They were dressed for Christmas pictures. They are acting silly in the video so that’s normal. But the way they are dressed is absolutely ridiculous. They look like they stepped out of a time machine. I would assume they were in costume for a play taking place at a 1905 picnic. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived