IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 4: Lick the Fork

HerNameIsBuffy

Gwen finally got around to putting up her daily devotional. It is about falling in love with God and having him be your best friend. Also, don't focus on food. 

I just can’t stress to you enough how important it is to examine your FOCUS. You WILL fall in love with what you focus on! Make it easier to focus on God and Jesus Christ all day long. Learn the stories about God and Jesus that are in the Bible, take notice of the wonderful creation God has offered for us to live in, and seek out other people who are eager to discuss God and His will in their lives. Look for His guiding hand in your life today; it is there. Make a list and count the ways God is your Hero so that you can fall in love with Him and He can become your very best Friend. Stop turning to the food and giving it all your focus! Focus on GOD today and you will feel the difference!

Judging from what we can see of Gwen's life she appears to mostly be in love with herself and focusing on herself along with crushing any individuality out of her followers. 

Gwen, it appears you give all your focus to food in that your focus seems to be avoiding food and making sure those around your avoid it. Your whole life seems to revolve around food control. Get some help. 

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been doing some reading on eating disorders and it got me thinking about Gwen's mindset. A common aspect of many eating disorders is disassociating a bit from the eating disordered voice in your mind. You have your normal thought process and then the ED talking to you, counting your calories and telling you things like people will like you and your problems will go away if you just lose some more weight. Some people will go as far as to give a name to that voice, typically 'Ana' or 'Mia.' Additionally seeing a smaller number on the scale can validate all the disordered things you've been doing and can provide a type of rush. 

What I'm wondering is if that's how Gwen reached her philosophy that God wants people to control their food intake. Like many eating disordered people she had a voice in her head that encouraged her to limit her food intake and to lose weight. However, instead of recognizing it for her ED, she convinced herself that it was God speaking to her. And that idea continued to be reinforced every time she stepped on the scale and saw a lower number because she got a rush that she could interpret as God's favor. 

19 hours ago, Calypso said:

Like many eating disordered people she had a voice in her head that encouraged her to limit her food intake and to lose weight. However, instead of recognizing it for her ED, she convinced herself that it was God speaking to her.

Very good point. She has obviously become more and more extreme as time has gone by. What probably started off as somewhat reasonable weight loss ideas has turned into her obsessing over food all day long, except she has convinced herself and others that this is what God wants. Today's devotional is pretty much saying this. 

Stop looking for one more person or book or formula that is going to make you lose weight or that will help you with some other stronghold. Don’t you see? Through God, we have EVERYTHING WE NEED for life and godliness. EVERYTHING! He has given us a means by which we can escape the corruption caused by our evil desires. So why do we continue to seek other methods? The fact is, methods such as constant dieting do not help us escape our evil desires; they only lead us farther into them by making us fall more in love with food or our stronghold!

Gwen doesn't seem to even have the slightest concept that she too falls into the category of being "one more book or formula". To her she is The One True Way. The hypocrisy of selling multiple books about this one method while criticizing others who do that isn't something she seems to be aware of. How many books has she written and sold about this? It seems like way too many books, especially since judging from her devotionals she tends to just repeat herself. 

Quit pursuing every other kind of plan or formula that you think is going to help you. You already HAVE everything you need to stop being ineffective and unproductive – so let’s be all the more eager to pursue this Godliness today!

She has set herself up as being the only plan people can follow. Anyone who follows any other plan is sinning and if her plan doesn't work then it is obviously not that living on three chips and diet coke is unsustainable for many, but it is that the people who fail are just not following God. She has given herself a way out of all blame, which is a classic cult leader move. 

Gwen's devotional today is all about how she prays better than everyone else. Also, God gives her expensive stuff. Maybe if you prayed as nicely as she did you could live in a mansion and surround yourself with expensive things you don't even need! 

When I pray, my prayers reflect more interest and concern for Him than for myself…and as a result, I’ve seen God come in and take care of my house, my business, and my children in wonderful, amazing ways. These posts are not long enough to hold all the blessings that I have received because the zeal of HIS house consumes me. Work on this attitude, and you will fall in love with God as you see how He can take care of you in every way. And remember – your heart is His house. Clean it up first!

From an outsider's view, it seems like Gwen is consumed by the zeal for money and control. 

11 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Gwen's devotional today is all about how she prays better than everyone else. Also, God gives her expensive stuff. Maybe if you prayed as nicely as she did you could live in a mansion and surround yourself with expensive things you don't even need! 

From an outsider's view, it seems like Gwen is consumed by the zeal for money and control. 

But of course, she does not read here.  At all.  It just happened that we've discussed her having so much.  Just a coincidence.  Right.  (Insert sarcasm emoji here!)

I think Gwen is taking our hair and makeup advice. She doesn’t look like she coated her face in baby powder, she has color on her lips, and her hair is slightly less enormous. 

A61BC9AE-94B5-4B61-A513-B73807E857C8.jpeg

It’s been a while since I scrolled through her Instagram, but I forgot how much she quotes herself....for someone who created a church that was supposed to bring people back to the Bible, she doesn’t quote it often, or atleast hasn’t recently. 

I just can’t get over how her whole religion revolves around food. I mean it makes sense, I guess, since she started off with a diet business but...wow. Every single devotional seems to revolve around food, with a side of god. Is every service like that? Does every sermon focus on food or do they ever just focus on run of the mill Christian stuff?

eta: looking thru her insta now.  I can’t believe she keeps quoting “you fall in love with what you focus on” but then instructing in the next post to spend all day thinking about food (and not eating it). 

Do you think she controls her own insta? Bc there are some pics on there I would not be posting if it were me. Eg the one from the engagement. Not sure how one could look at that and think “yes. This is a flattering photo of me.” 

14 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Every single devotional seems to revolve around food, with a side of god. Is every service like that? Does every sermon focus on food or do they ever just focus on run of the mill Christian stuff?

It really is amazing how she created a sort of weird hybrid Christianity where the focus is on The Growl and very little is said about other things. The fact that she encourages excess in many areas of life while only says to restrict in the area of food seems to not be something her followers notice. 

For former members, are sermons like her daily devotionals? Does anyone mention how such a huge focus is placed on food? 

Today's devotional is again very prosperity Gospelish with how God blesses you if you follow him. 

e have been given so much… We have the freedom to love God and we actually get a second chance to hear His voice and follow our beautiful Lord. While much of the world is fearful of being controlled by God, we cannot wait to find His lead! Why? Because it is so much easier to let God guide all our decisions and get all the glory, and it works so much better than trying to “GET” things for ourselves! Doing things God’s way, we go further and we get there faster. We get more done and do it better. Now, if you believe in this, then show the truth about what you believe – be consistent and go all the way with giving up the excess food. Life is SO more than food! Do not be blind to what you need to do: WAIT for God’s guidance with your eating today. Read Deuteronomy 28 today and see what God has in store for those who obey Him!

Gwen, go all the way with giving up your excess stuff. Bet you won't. Bet you won't even downsize a tiny bit. You like the big house, all the clothes, all the stuff to go in your house, all your shoes. You won't go all the way if doing so means you will have to give things up that you like. You will just twist the Bible to make it say it is okay for you to live in excess while people in the town around your go without actual needs being met. 

1 hour ago, WorseThan1Thinks said:

and is still a member of Remnant.

He is not currently a member and has not been for some time.

9 minutes ago, Fashion Forward said:

@Fashion Forward, thank you for the correction.  When did he get out?

He pretty much grew up under Gwen in RF with his mother and his brother.  I'm glad to hear he's out, but when was that?

15 minutes ago, WorseThan1Thinks said:

When did he get out?

To my knowledge, he was drifting in and out for the past 3 years but officially this summer.

So I have been doing some "research" about being overweight. Is it a sin? From what my pea sized(haha) brain can comprehend, being overweight is not a sin. Gluttony of food is a sin, but gluttony involves more than food. Gluttony could be alcohol, drugs, possessions. So for Remnant to focus on food as the one thing that they can overcome on their highway to heaven is quite comical. Lets just focus on that one thing(like Gwen says to do) and your life will be perfect and God will love you and so will she. One article I read suggested that gluttony is a sin because if we overindulge then we risk poverty. Instead of using what we need today and saving for tomorrow(kind of like saving for retirement), if we have this feast and use all of our resources today, we risk not having anything for tomorrow. Nothing I read suggests that being overweight is a sin. 

Oh, and how do the members think that if Remnant is monitoring us here, that Remnant isn't also monitoring all of them? Obviously we know they are based on the security detail monitoring Joe Lara's own underage daughter. I think this is Chris Clarks wife explaining how they are now filled with love and peace. I call BS on that. image.thumb.png.47355cd68b2d3b2d2d2528ff4be8e71b.png

3 minutes ago, Fashion Forward said:

To my knowledge, he was drifting in and out for the past 3 years but officially this summer.

I think his father passed away a few years ago. Heartbreaking. I hope he reconnected with his father before he passed. 

Has anyone else heard the rumor that Remnant Fellowship was tipped off prior to the police raiding the church offices regarding Josef Smiths death?

1 hour ago, SJWaterford said:

Has anyone else heard the rumor that Remnant Fellowship was tipped off prior to the police raiding the church offices regarding Josef Smiths death?

The raid on the weigh down building / RF  definitely happened. The offices were raided and every bit of information that pertained to the murder/case was extracted. As far as the tip off is concerned, I can’t say who or how I got the information but I discovered years that’s this tip off rumor might have merit. I wish I had hard evdicence of this but unfortunately I don’t. This rumor will probably remain as such....

31 minutes ago, Fashion Forward said:

Are you a former member?

I feel like being in rf has the potential to turn people into entitled assholes.

1 hour ago, SJWaterford said:

I think his father passed away a few years ago. Heartbreaking. I hope he reconnected with his father before he passed. 

So sad. Was his father in RF?

22 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I feel like being in rf has the potential to turn people into entitled assholes.

Oh, absolutely. All I wanted was an apology for them seeking personal info about us, among the other issues I have with them. But they don't believe I (we) deserve that. I remember having coffee with a member and the conversation was very nice until the end when I told her that they don't have a right to mess with other peoples kids. Her eyes glazed over immediately and it's like she was a different person than the one I had been speaking to 5 minutes before. They will never acknowledge wrongdoing no matter what. Because if you aren't in Gwen's fan club, then you are nothing. A bigger bunch of assholes I have never met. It was funny because I called a specific group of them a bunch of assholes once and my kid went off the deep end. Extreme loyalty to them like you wouldn't believe. It's bull because they blame me for (kid) not having a relationship with us, but my kid basically has no relationship with any of our other family. Obviously if you have been following, you have read to what lengths Gwen's fan club will go to, to protect her. And they pay a mighty steep membership fee. 

https://casetext.com/case/homonnay-v-homonnay-no-fa-03-0401627-s-may

So is it legit for a church to lend someone money in a child custody case? Says she owed Remnant Fellowship 10k. 

54 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

His father was NOT in RF. In fact he opposed the church due to various reasons. Because of this, the church retaliated against him when there were legal issues involving custody of his kids with his ex wife. It was a nasty situation that most folks don’t have many truthful details about. There are legal proceedings and details within said proceedings but being witnessed first hand to the drama / issues (I was once close with Matt through a mutual friend) was...sad.

2 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

No, his mom was.  The custody case had his dad fight for his two boys all the way up to Connecticut Supreme court.  Combined they had over half a million dollars in legal costs ($325k for his, $146k for hers; $10k which came from RF, ~$50k for the guardian ad litem, etc), he won as far as keeping his kids out of RF.  Yet somehow, he later gave in and let his mom move to Brentwood with the 2 boys.  I don't know for sure why.  But my hunch is his boys were used against him and if he wanted any relationship at all with his boys, he had to let them go (read below).

As usual, there is so damage left in the wake of Remnant.

https://casetext.com/case/homonnay-v-homonnay-no-fa-03-0401627-s-may

Here are some snippets regarding Remnant.

Homonnay v. Homonnay

Connecticut Superior Court, Judicial District of Fairfield at Bridgeport at Middlesex Regional Family Trial Docket at MiddletownMay 19, 2004

She owes the Remnant Fellowship $10,000.00.

During the time of this dissolution process, as the parties have all lived in the same home with the children, Mr. Homonnay has railed against The Remnant Fellowship, the children's mother's religiosity, and the children's willingness to attend Remnant Fellowship events. His anger and diatribes about this have caused further alienation of the children from him.

Ms. Homonnay's decision to stay with The Remnant Fellowship and introduce it as a part of the children's lives is a major cause of the breakdown of the marriage, for Mr. Homonnay warned her he would file for divorce if she pursued The Remnant Fellowship with the boys. He had his right to be concerned about this, and she has her right to pursue her own religion. Indeed, the presence of The Remnant Fellowship in the Homonnay family is a cause of the breakdown of the marriage, but no fault can be attributed regarding it.

Mr. Homonnay blames Mrs. Homonnay's involvement of herself and the boys with The Remnant Fellowship, her religiosity, and her bouts of depression and weight issues as the reasons the marriage broke down.

For Mr. Homonnay, the theology and teaching of The Remnant  Fellowship is frightening and cult-like. He feels that he has been ostracized by her and the boys through this group because of his rejection of it. While Mrs. Homonnay denies this, it is clear that she — and the boys — believe that the only answer is for him to join The Remnant Fellowship.

This is the pivotal reason this marriage has broken down and the court finds a major cause of the breakdown. 

Mr. Homonnay's sexual transgressions and anger are ultimately forgivable to Ms. Homonnay if her husband can accept The Remnant Fellowship and mend his ways by giving himself, and his sons, over to obedience to God through The Remnant Fellowship. This is unacceptable to him.

Historically, until the introduction of The Remnant Fellowship to this family, these parents functioned as a cohesive unit. 

A crisis came when the defendant insisted on the children's participation in The Remnant Fellowship, and, insisted on the primacy of the Remnant's role in their lives. The plaintiff concluded that The Remnant Fellowship is not a proper church for the boys and opposed their participation.

This crisis — that is, the parents' inability to agree on this change of their children's religious affiliation — is at the root of the plaintiff's desire to seek a divorce, and, at the root of this custody conflict.

The guardian ad litem (GAL) for these boys and their therapist both testified. They expressed grave concerns that both boys (to different degrees) have become so attached to certain particularly rigid teachings of the Remnant Fellowship, as they are presented to them, that both have shown serious loss of individuation and free will.

This court's concerns with The Remnant Fellowship teachings, as the boys hear them directly or through their mother, is of concern because of its effect on their relationship with their father and their development as adolescents. To that end, the court examines issues raised at trial surrounding The Remnant Fellowship, but draws no conclusion and makes no findings as to this religion, its precepts, or, the fundamental right of Ms. Homonnay to worship in this religion

The defendant, throughout her adult life, has struggled with weight loss issues, including purging and depression. She has been treated by mental health professionals for periods of time. Ms. Homonnay is also, by all accounts, an individual who perceives herself as deeply religious. She has continuously sought religious affiliation and guidance that would satisfy her spiritual needs.

Her need for affiliation with a community for guidance and support is apparent. Ms. Homonnay insists that all of the principles that guide her are found in the Christian Bible which  she explains is the authority for all of the teachings of The Remnant Fellowship. She points out, however, that one of the reasons she likes The Remnant is because they focus on the need for obedience to the Word of God's message, rather than a message that dwells on God's forgiveness, because she feels that has the indirect effect on encouraging sin.

Ms. Homonnay enjoys The Remnant community because she finds the people to be living that message of obedience to the Word of God. She points out that this is a church whose members are relatively free from sin. However, it appears from her ruminations regarding these teachings, there is an intolerance for nonbelievers. She writes, "God is looking for a group of people who will get it right. The Levites were willing to get rid of even relatives who were idol worshippers. Leaders in Remnant have to be willing to stand up and get rid of even relatives who are idol worshippers." The internalization of this message as she has given it to the boys is that they have been observed to be increasingly critical of their father for his lack of acceptance of The Remnant Fellowship.

One of the other tenets of The Remnant, as related by Ms. Homonnay, is that obedience includes to those in authority. For children, she relates, their obedience to God means an obedience as well to their mother and father and to the literal rules found in the Bible. While she acknowledges that these children are well behaved, she believes they will benefit from continued exposure to The Remnant. She has written, "the happiest kids are those who have no expectations." While she explains that this does not extend to hopes, dreams and aspirations, it is hard for the children to understand the difference. Her writing are from notes from The Remnant Fellowship worship services, which is what she has exposed the children to (and wishes to continue). A close reading of Exhibit 15 results in the conclusion that the obedience and boundaries imposed upon children is relentless and paramount over the need to allow the children to grow through self expression and exploration. "We want the Holy Spirit and God developed in the kids, not self-developed. God esteem, not self-esteem. Teach them death to self at an early age," the defendant writes.

Her view is not shared by the children's father, the Family Relations Officer who performed the custody evaluation, Dr. Adamakos who performed the psychological evaluation of this family, or by Dr. Israel, the children's treating psychologist.

The father's reasons for opposition appear to be numerous. He believes that The Remnant Fellowship is a cult, though he offered no expert evidence to the court to help the court determine what is a cult versus a legitimate religion, and, what are the teachings/tenets/activities/rules or the like of The Remnant Fellowship that could lead to such a conclusion.

The father is also concerned that The Remnant teaches the children to reject him because he rejects The Remnant. There is evidence that The Remnant utilizes a vocabulary in which those who reject The Remnant are seen as rejecting the Will of God and God's teachings. Further, as Ms. Homonnay explains to the court, The Remnant refers to those that are against you in any way as "The Enemies," and, those who are members of The Remnant are "The Saints." While Ms. Homonnay asserts that these terms find their authority in the Bible, they are very strong words which can for young people create an impression alienating them from the adverse group.

Finally, Mr. Homonnay worries that the Remnant has been a bad influence for the children as creating unhealthy eating habits in them, and discouraging them from their level of participation in soccer by putting Remnant gatherings as a priority to soccer.

Mrs. Homonnay has explained that overeating is considered a sin by the Remnant and that it is a result of people not making the decision to obey God and give up their sinful ways. She has found this personally beneficial, indicating that she no longer  struggles with overweight issues. Indeed, Ms. Homonnay's appearance is that of a slight woman whose bone structure is prominent; it is hard to imagine, when looking at her, that she ever was even slightly overweight.

Mr. Homonnay worries that the boys, too, have absorbed the same messages about eating and that as a result, Thomas in particular does not eat enough food, especially when with his mother. Ms. Homonnay protests that she feeds the children well and does not withhold food from them — that she will at times ask them if they are eating because they are in fact hungry or whether, instead, it is "head hunger." She acknowledges that the boys hear personal testimonials in church services that praise The Remnant, and their faith for helping them lose weight. The children's therapist has expressed no concern that either Thomas or Matthew have an eating disorder.

The family relations officer, Leah Martin-Fucci, who completed the evaluation in this matter, recommends that the father's access time with the children be structured to occur when The Remnant Fellowship meets. She was, as well, very concerned about the boys' willingness to forego soccer to attend Remnant church. Ms. Fucci's recommendations were because of her concerns that the level of obedience taught to the boys discouraged their independent thought as she heard them parroting "church" language used by their mother. Ms. Fucci found that Ms. Homonnay did not  see herself at all separate from The Remnant, that all her thoughts found their source in their teachings. The tenet of obedience that concerned Ms. Fucci was that there is a rigidity in the obedience required to God and their mother, and, that with children (and particularly teenagers) you must be able to have flexibility.

For Matthew, loyalty to his mother is also loyalty to The Remnant Fellowship because it has been so central to both of the parents in this conflict. As a result, he blames his father for all the wrongs at home including the divorce. Matthew parrots his mother and is sure that his parents would not divorce if his father saw the good in The Remnant Fellowship.

The children have been in counseling with a psychologist, Dr. David Israel. Dr. Israel is alarmed by both boys' growing identification with The Remnant Fellowship. As he sees it, because it is a religion they understand to require their obedience to their mother and God, all together, they have quickly had their ability to individuate eroded.

Juxtaposed with the concerns regarding the personality changes in Thomas and Matthew as they are exposed continually to The Remnant Fellowship and its teachings, as applied by their mother, is the concern with their continued exposure to the behavioral problems of the plaintiff. 

Mrs. Homonnay is so concerned with her identity with The Remnant Fellowship and its teachings that she is unable to make decisions for Thomas and Matthew based upon an independent judgment by her of what is needed. Instead, she has surrendered her spirit, will and critical decision making skills to The Remnant Fellowship. She indeed sees this as a struggle akin to that of Abraham in The Bible.

The children's guardian ad litem has advocated a position which would allow the children to reside with their mother but prohibit their exposure to The Remnant Fellowship. Her concern for the boys' continued exposure to The Remnant Fellowship is largely rooted in both her conversations with her wards and communications from their therapist. The guardian noted that the boys speak in their language and reasoning very similarly to their mother when they relate events. While the guardian ad litem does not necessarily find they were primed by the mother, it is her sense that this arises from their growing inability to differentiate themselves from the mother's views. Dr. Israel referred to them as "little Monicas" and that you "can't fit a piece of paper between them and The Remnant." The guardian ad litem described how each boy would spontaneously defend The Remnant, with no prodding.

The overall effects of the messages the boys get from their exposure to The Remnant Fellowship through their mother has been deleterious in a variety of ways:

1. They blame their father for the problems in the family and see his failure to accept The Remnant Fellowship as a fault. If he were to join them they believe all would be well. Their mother has affirmed this to them continually. Her perception of him is as a sinner, in a world view taught to the boys where life is a moment by moment struggle to be obedient and good. This has made them further alienated from their father; and

2. In the midst of the loyalty conflict fostered by both parents, the boys each have come to adhere over time to the view held by their mother that The Remnant Fellowship and the obedience it demands should take primacy over everything. This language of The Remnant leaves them little room to explore, challenge, rebel and grow individually. "Remember that we are soldiers engaged in major spiritual warfare . . . the ultimate good versus evil . . . the knock down-drag out that will determine eternity. The draft was enacted, and your number was called. You were chosen to fight for the good — for the Kingdom of God almighty-provided you will fall in line and be a good soldier." This email language is illustrative of the message the boys hear from their mother as to their duties in The Remnant. The court accepts wholly the following conclusion of Dr. Adamakos: "[Ms. Homonnay] espouses a position that is punitive and requiring that there `be consequences.' Unfortunately, she has no insight or sensitivity into the dilemma it places on her sons, and the punishment and negative consequences it has caused for them. She is so focused upon how Mr. Homonnay is immoral and ungodly, that she clearly lost focus on what is in the boys' best interest during the divorce dispute." This lack of insight is likely because her thinking regarding The Remnant was found (by the evaluator) to be irrational and at times delusional. The court observed a fanatical devotion to the purity of The Remnant from Ms. Homonnay in the courtroom.

The court orders:

C. Ms. Homonnay shall not take the children to any activities, community gatherings, religious activities, nor expose them to any web casts, internet or email readings or viewing, or, any publications associated with The Remnant Fellowship, Weigh Down Workshops and/or Gwen Shamblin. She shall not take them to summer camps, social gatherings or religious events sponsored by Weigh Down Workshops or The Remnant Fellowship, nor, shall she take them to the headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

The amount of pride, snobbiness and douchebagery there is in abundance however I do want to note that not every member is this way. Due to the nature of the cult and it’s doctrine, this attitude of entitlement is almost impossible to avoid and in my experience, hard to ignore (which was one of the many factors that led to my leaving).

2 hours ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

The amount of pride, snobbiness and douchebagery there is in abundance however I do want to note that not every member is this way. Due to the nature of the cult and it’s doctrine, this attitude of entitlement is almost impossible to avoid and in my experience, hard to ignore (which was one of the many factors that led to my leaving).

Oh I am sure there are some that are not. I was making an unfair generalization based on the ones we have had contact with and the ones who have interjected themselves into our lives, uninvited. Unfortunately, based on experience, the bad ones have given an unfair name to the rest. 

5 hours ago, SJWaterford said:

Oh I am sure there are some that are not. I was making an unfair generalization based on the ones we have had contact with and the ones who have interjected themselves into our lives, uninvited. Unfortunately, based on experience, the bad ones have given an unfair name to the rest. 

Completely understandable! Honestly in your case, I understand to a certain point. Nothing but love and respect is sent to you and your hubby, especially in regards to what has transpired due to the RF cult. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived