IGNORED

Local Biblical Counseling Ad

dairyfreelife

A church locally here has a counseling center and I saw their ad the other day. It starts off by saying this: "Sometimes those that have suffered in their marriage, business, job, finances, relationships, or through disability or other tragedy could benefit from solidly Biblical-based counseling."

It gets worse: "In contrast to psychologically-integrated systems, Biblical counseling seeks to carefully discover those areas in which a Christian may be disobedient to the principles and commands of Scripture and to help him learn how to lovingly submit to God's will," reports the International Association of Biblical Counselors.

Background: I go to a pastoral counseling center. The place I go to is great. I've had nothing but positive experiences with the center. They don't deny that mental illness exists at all. They do not pray unless you want to be prayed over and don't use the Bible unless you want scripture used. It's more of a counseling center that will use the Bible and pray if you want to include them as part of your therapy and not the other way around.

I am currently going through CBT through the center for my anxiety and phobias. I'm not afraid to admit this. They offer treatment plans that include medication. I have chosen to go without anxiety meds because I have not a positive experience with them before.

Just wanted to vent because I don't think telling someone they are having problems because they are "disobedient to God's word" is a good thing at all. :x

Guest Anonymous

Just wanted to vent because I don't think telling someone they are having problems because they are "disobedient to God's word" is a good thing at all. :x

I participate on a general religion forum that is dominated by Southern Baptists and todays discussion is just that. If its not disobedience to the word, its a sin of the father, or a mother that sleeps around that is blamed for all ills including diabetes (I kid you not).

Archived