IGNORED

Brett Kavanaugh's Confirmation Hearing

Cartmann99

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trump: ‘Very Hard for Me to Imagine Anything Happened’ Between Kavanaugh and Ford

President Trump criticized Christine Blasey Ford’s allegation of sexual assault against Supreme Court Justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh once again on Wednesday, telling reporters outside the White House that it’s “very hard for me to imagine anything happened” between the pair. If Ford does make a “credible” showing in front of the Senate, he said, according to CBS News correspondent Mark Knoller, “that’ll be very interesting.” But he also expressed his doubt and frustration toward the senators debating Kavanaugh’s nomination: “Really, they’re hurting somebody’s life,” he said, according to the New York Times. “I think it’s a very unfair thing what’s going on.”

Trump also announced he would like to meet with Ford, the California professor who has accused Supreme Court Justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh of attempted rape in 1982. “I really want to see her. I really would want to see what she has to say,” Trump said, according to McClatchy News reporter Anita Kumar. “If she shows up, that would be wonderful; if she doesn’t show up, that would be unfortunate.” He then pivoted to attack Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), noting that “what I don’t like” was that Feinstein had Ford’s letter since July. “Why didn’t Sen Feinstein bring this up in her meeting with Judge Kavanaugh,” he continued, according to another tweet from Knoller. “That doesn’t look very good.”

He wants to meet her? Why? To size her up? Get the dirty details? Or to try and intimidate her? Pay her off? 

Here's an op-ed on who Brett Kavanaugh really is, from someone who knows him well:

David Brock I knew Brett Kavanaugh during his years as a Republican operative. Don't let him sit on the Supreme Court.  We were part of a close circle of cynical hard-right operatives being groomed for much bigger things.

Here's the first paragraph; it's a longish article and let's us know that Brett Kavanaugh is truly worse than what we thought.  Just click on the title above to link to the entire thing.

Spoiler

I used to know Brett Kavanaugh pretty well. And, when I think of Brett now, in the midst of his hearings for a lifetime appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court, all I can think of is the old "Aesop's Fables" adage: "A man is known by the company he keeps."

And that's why I want to tell any senator who cares about our democracy: Vote no.

Twenty years ago, when I was a conservative movement stalwart, I got to know Brett Kavanaugh both professionally and personally.

4 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Good question.

Because of the "magic R" after his name.

I believe Dr. Ford - no one in her right mind would put herself and her family in the middle of this shitstorm if the story were not true.  And, she told this story to other people YEARS ago; this isn't a new story. She was only 15 at the time, she was at a place where her parents would not have approved with the under-aged drinking going on, so I can understand why she didn't tell them. AND, she said there was a witness- no one who makes up a story includes a witness!

Finally, I had a very similar "close call" when I was young and I know others who did as well. It's not as rare as some old white men want to pretend it is!

I'm not seeing, at this point, how Kavanaugh's nomination is going to be stopped. Republicans want this nomination approved, period.  Of course he did this horrible thing in high school; there is no doubt.  Of course, he's a Hillary hating nut case.  Of course, there will be a huge move to dismantle Roe v. Wade and he clearly understands his marching orders. 

There is a high likely hood he has, at minimum, horrible financial management skills and at worse, a gambling addiction. But let me say this -- he doesn't have to be bought off.  He's already been in the cray cray wheel house for a long long time.  I have no doubt, none, about the veracity of David Brock's piece that I linked to above.  

But the Republicans have tasted blood, the huge gamble with Gorsuch paid off, and the second placement is in sight; they aren't going to let it slip away. 

Kavanaugh made it to the top of the list for a reason.   Should pigs fly early next week and Kavanaugh is dumped, they will be someone waiting, but I don't think he or she will be anywhere near as toxic as Kavanaugh. 

Kavanaugh messed up by denying the incident ever happened, effectively calling his accuser a liar. This is less acceptable than it used to be, unless you are the senate judiciary committee. Voters will remember that Republicans are responsible for this debacle come November. The SC has been a sham ever since President Obama's nominee was stonewalled, denying him an appointment after nearly eight years as president while fuckface rolled into office and got one right away. Totally unjust and I am done.

I wonder if Dr. Blasey can file a lawsuit against Kavanaugh for defamation like Avenatti did with the presidunce when he called his client Stephanie Clifford a liar on twitter?

If she could, then wouldn't that be a way to get Kavanaugh investigated? Or would the burden of proof -- and therefore the cost -- be on her? (A go-fund-me could help her out there, and I'm sure there will be enough donators to help her with that.)

What if such a lawsuit were to happen, and what if that investigation could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Kavanaugh is guilty, and he were to be sentenced as such? What would the consequences be? Could he still remain on the SC after that?

If anyone needed any more proof that the whole Kavanaugh confirmation is nothing but a sham, Grassley's chief counsel went out and publicly stated as much on twitter -- and then quickly locked his account when he realized what he'd done.

Don't worry though, screenshots were made!

After he deleted his post, he went public again and came up with a lame ass excuse, blaming Democrats, of course.

(thread)

He is a piece of shit who, short of some sort of miracle, will be confirmed. The GOP is backed into a corner. They need to get him confirmed before the election. They aren't going to risk losing a chance to sway the SC to their side. It doesn't matter if more women come forward, they will keep pushing on and coming up with excuses to justify it, just like they did with Trump. 

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

I wonder if Dr. Blasey can file a lawsuit against Kavanaugh for defamation like Avenatti did with the presidunce when he called his client Stephanie Clifford a liar on twitter?

If she could, then wouldn't that be a way to get Kavanaugh investigated? Or would the burden of proof -- and therefore the cost -- be on her? (A go-fund-me could help her out there, and I'm sure there will be enough donators to help her with that.)

What if such a lawsuit were to happen, and what if that investigation could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Kavanaugh is guilty, and he were to be sentenced as such? What would the consequences be? Could he still remain on the SC after that?

It would be a civil lawsuit, so the FBI wouldn't be involved. And, who would remove him? The Repug congress? I think not.

Not in any way funny, but sadly all too true to the good old boys:

20180920_maggie20.PNG

Archived