IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 8: F is for Felony and No Longer Funny

VaSportsMom

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read the last few pages of the last thread and am horrified. I was reminded of a post last year from @JesusCampSongs which seems relevant here as she even mentions the exact thing, "indecent liberties with a minor," that Gary was charged with.

I would also like to point out that I, in my professional capacity (clinical social worker w/a specialty in treating sexually victimized teenagers), have literally never encountered someone who was on the sex offender registry due to public urination or a normal high school relationship. My professional capacity includes a stint in the local county jail wherein I spent over a month digging through the files of literally every sex offender in my county (population: almost 250,000) and did not come across one single person falling into either one of those categories. And I would have known: public registries clearly show what the charges associated with the individual were. 

I did, however, come across multiple individuals who had, upon further research that was not available to the public, committed significantly worse crimes than what they'd actually pleaded guilty to. It is really, really common for people who have committed sex crimes against minors to be offered plea deals so as to not retraumatize the child by forcing them to testify in court (often while facing whoever assaulted them), meaning that individuals who had committed full-on violent rape would only have an "indecent liberties with a minor" charge on their records. 

As a result of that fun and exciting research project, I tend to have the view that, when it comes to convicted sex offenders who pleaded guilty (as opposed to going to trial), the story of what really happened is nearly always a lot worse than what their records show. I am therefore extremely suspicious of Mr. Robertson's accounting of events. 

No longer funny and I should probably change my avatar. :( 

@Rachel333 there is so much truth there. Without giving too much away, I testified as a character witness against someone who was charged with a crime like the kind we are discussing. As a person involved directly with the case, I had more information than was made public. What the person pleaded to and what actually happened was vastly different. It was disheartening to see and at the same time completely understandable. The victims were terrified of being in court. I had the deep satisfaction of helping to put that person in prison.

Men like Gary rarely change their stripe. Everything about his life choices make so much sense now. You can't really have a regular preaching gig with a crime like that behind you. It makes sense that he wanders and that he has a victim complex. I sincerely hope he doesn't have access to young girls. He makes me sick.

I haven’t checked in here in awhile. Can someone tell me where I should start reading in the previous thread to get filled in??

Update: Thanks @PumaLover I just found keepercjr’s post on it right as you posted the thread link.

Just to clarify... Becky is 41 according to google.  Gary’s ex wife is supposedly 36.  Becky’s oldest is 19.  I think Gary’s oldest is 18 but i don’t know for sure.

8 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I haven’t checked in here in awhile. Can someone tell me where I should start reading in the previous thread to get filled in??

I'm including a link but not sure if it will scroll down to where this all started. It was this past Thursday, the 23rd, and the post is by @keepercjr

Welp. That's my Wednesday evening 100% less hilarious. What a filthy creature. Shame on him. 

fuck. i go away for 9 days and come home to the news this is what this motherfucker has been hiding? i try not to curse too much, especially irl, but this fucking animal better rot in hell. the only good child raper is a dead child raper. and becky...how could you?

Re how we found Gary -- I think it was the "bonle of jore" post on Jill's FB that called him to FJ's attention, but I could be wrong -- maybe someone had found him earlier.

10 hours ago, SuperNova said:

I sincerely hope he doesn't have access to young girls. He makes me sick.

I especially hope he doesn't have access to young girls too, but young boys aren't necessarily safe around him either. We don't even know the sex of the minor he offended against. Most likely it was a girl, yes, but it could have been a boy. It's not uncommon for child sex offenders to offend against children of the opposite sex than what they consider themselves to be attracted to. And the ones with the highest rate of recidivism are those that will offend against either boys or girls.

No one who has ever offended against any child is safe to be around any child, ever.

28 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Re how we found Gary -- I think it was the "bonle of jore" post on Jill's FB that called him to FJ's attention, but I could be wrong -- maybe someone had found him earlier.

As much as "bonle of jore" sounds like a Garyism, I don't think it actually was. I did find him from some comment on Jill's fb, but it wasn't that one.

13 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

As much as "bonle of jore" sounds like a Garyism, I don't think it actually was. I did find him from some comment on Jill's fb, but it wasn't that one.

I stand corrected. Sorry about that!

He creeped me out from the get go. It sickens me that because it was prior to the sex offender registry, no one has a clue.

Welp. I need to change my avatar too. Back to the mangoes it is... or perhaps something else. 

UGH. You guys really already said everything, so I don’t have a lot to add. I wonder whether his friends/followers/whatever those people commenting on his posts should be called know about this and whether they would care if they did. I‘m guessing the answers are 1 No they don‘t. 2 No they wouldn’t, because God has forgiven him so everything‘s good. UGH.

Thanks for the laughs Bro. My new avatar is way cuter. I present to you, ANGRY KITTEN! Not one of mine, but a pic I took at my volunteer job. 

Angry Kitten judges you fundies!

I was more active on the Rod thread when Gary was found and remember that @ViolaSebastian posted this pic (very pink weens as a warning, JRod thread #40). It’s burned in my memory, I was innocently drinking coffee and scrolling through the Rod thread. 

Spoiler

D4A78C63-9938-4D04-AE85-55C564BC4EE4.thumb.jpeg.9bb47510922d0faa482434e0eada9bed.jpeg

This is the least revolting thing about him. He’s all the bad words like a lot of our fundies.  

Love the new kitty avatars!

edit to add: I had a longer post but realized I should just go with the iconic pink weens. Gary is a hateful, racist, homophonic asshole, the post was too long when I tried to include those screenshots because there was so much material. 

1 hour ago, Mar said:

UGH. You guys really already said everything, so I don’t have a lot to add. I wonder whether his friends/followers/whatever those people commenting on his posts should be called know about this and whether they would care if they did. I‘m guessing the answers are 1 No they don‘t. 2 No they wouldn’t, because God has forgiven him so everything‘s good. UGH.

This is a really good question.  A lot of these "I am reformed sinner" evangelists have an elaborate Testimony they trot out to prove how the LORD conquered Satan's attacks on the poor sinner.   Think Timothy Robertson whose rape conviction was due to that ebil woman who worked in a strip joint so it totes wasn't his fault he was tempted.   I only recollect Gary talking about conquering the demon Drank.  I wonder whether his testimony includes his felony conviction and what it was.

I wonder whether his followers and the churches who invite him to preach know his background.  And, more importantly, whether they would care if they did.  After all, they think all  sins are forgivable and if someone truly repents and is saved then everything is OK.  Think Josh Duggar and Brantley Disharoon.  Even more think Doug Wilson who defends pedophiles, and supports their marriages, only to have them (no surprise) offend again.  With their own child.

I am never optimistic about the chances of sex abusers and pedophiles re-offending.   The recidivism rates are massive.  I never want any of them around children unsupervised.  End of story.

The IFB "missionary" circle is actually quite small.  There is the Rod link, but one of Gary's followers also supports Hodnett who has links with John Shrader, and so on.  

When I was a youngish adult still attending church our pastor said something that started me down the path of leaving forever. 

He talked about how people didn’t need a “sordid” testimony to be important. He stressed that doing everything right was an important testimony too. He used as examples of a sordid testimony, women that were now sober, promiscuous women who were now saved, etc. He did not include the rapist and bank robber men that were part of the congregation. He went to their sentencing appearances and testified for them. His idea of sordid did not include the men who broke the law. 

I asked to meet with him and tried to clarify what he meant and it went downhill. 

It was worse than what I’m describing but I’m not really sure how to get it into words. Basically men who repented were welcomed back fully and worthy and women had the “sordid” testimonies.

Sordid was his word, he used it a lot. 

This was a SBC Church, I grew up in a much more conservative independent baptist church. 

Thank Rufus I got out. 

Edit to add: I think I am trying to say that men were valued for their repentance and women got the side eye and judgement. 

Oh Gary. 

I am not racist but think all nationalities should have to work.

Uh-huh.  And his work is... jumping and screaming on church pews?  Having his family bellow what might generously be called hymns?  Making barely-literate FB posts about God and toothpasta and poppyrocksy? 

4 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I only recollect Gary talking about conquering the demon Drank.

Hasn't he said that he and Becky have both "suffered" as a result of fornication?  A redemption testimony like "I done dranked and fornicated and God saved me" is a good "sinner saved by Grace" story - and more sympathetic than "I molested a child, but God's cool with it because I'm saved now".

Ugh, I went through this recently with my landlord. I was googling his name because I had lost his office address and the first thing that pops up is that he's a convicted child molester. Definitely the same dude, plus in my state they list the age of the victim, and it's definitely NOT a romeo-and-juliet situation.  This guy has keys to my apartment... luckily we don't have kids. 

@NachosFlandersStyle that is scary!! 

I haven't checked my new neighborhood on the Megan's Law map. I'm kind of afraid to but I guess I should since my kid walks to the bus stop every morning.

Just checked, no one nearby.

I have been a habitual lurker and laugh-er in the Bro Gary threads.  I wanted to speak up here about something that I am not sure is common knowledge:  Not every sex offense requires lifelong registry on the sex offenders registry.  Pennsylvania recently purged a bunch of people from having to register.  Other states (i.e. Utah) require 4 counts of certain offenses to be required to maintain registry.  

I have seen someone who was convicted of two separate instances of rape be released from registering after a period of 15 years.

A lot of states offer deferred adjudication and dismissal for sex offenses right along side of domestic battery. In many states it's easier to get a sex offense or abuse charge expunged than ticket for marijuana possession.  

For example, the Brock Turner case in California (the infamous "20 minutes of action" Stanford rape case a couple of years ago), he is sentenced to 3 years of probation after his piddly 6 months in jail, but after 18 months (that is half) of the three year probation has been completed, under California law, My understanding is that he can seek a reduction of the charges along with dismissal of the probation. The judge could at that time downgrade the plea to something that results in a lower tier of registry - perhaps only 10 years of "tier 1 registry". 

***  Please note:  I am not a lawyer nor giving any legal advice in this - I am only indicating what my understanding of various registry requirements can be and how they vary and can change even after initial sentencing.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived