IGNORED

Harold Camping/Family Radio--is this not a fundy thing?

AnnoDomini

In all my (admittedly not terribly long) time on FJ, I've never seen a mention of Harold Camping/Family Radio from anyone other than me. Is it not as big of a fundy thing as I thought? I thought that 'end of the church age' and 'end of the world' stuff would be pretty heavy fundamentalist.

I think Harold Camping/Family Radio are their own little universe, actually.

Lots of fundamentalists hold some scary eschatology and do the aaaaugh, end of the world thing, but Camping has been so cukoo for so many years that I don't think a whole lot of fundamentalist groups have a liking for him. Particularly not since he started teaching that all churches are the Whore of Babylon and real Christians will leave churches and form little fellowships around his teachings. I don't imagine VF or IFB churches would take too kindly to that.

Haha. He was a pastor too. I wonder what changes HIS used-to-be church went through when he came out with the teachings of no-more-corporate-church. Probably very little, if anything beyond a few cosmetic changes such as renaming the pastors and deacons and elders new things.

(For the record, I do believe in the end of the church age. I'm not here to debate it or judge anyone who attends church, and I don't believe it just because he says so, nor do I buy into a lot of his current teachings, though it would be nice to not believe in hell, which he doesn't anymore.)

Guest Anonymous
(For the record, I do believe in the end of the church age. I'm not here to debate it or judge anyone who attends church, and I don't believe it just because he says so, nor do I buy into a lot of his current teachings, though it would be nice to not believe in hell, which he doesn't anymore.)

Would you be open to explaining what this means and how you came to believe in it?

There was a lot of discussion on the old board about him and his May 23 prediction. Not a lot of talk since then since he has been ill. He's not broadcasting live anymore since his stroke so there has been no more of the handwringing and threats that typified his broadcasts leading up to May 23.

I think he would qualify as fundy if you could get him to actually focus on anything besides the end of the church age. He is quite socially conservative from what I recall. Once on a broadcast a guy was trying to ask him if fellatio was within God's law and Brother Camping was just beside himself at the mention of any sort of sex act on the air. Plus he believes in the Bible's inerrancy, though apparently one needs Brother Camping himself to interpret it, because he definitely does not subscribe to what the plain meanings of the language are.

Would you be open to explaining what this means and how you came to believe in it?

Fraid not. I'm like Moses--I suck at talking and explaining. My father had a site, daysofvengeance.com and quitchurch.com explaining things but they seem to be gone now.

Remember October 21st is the day he appointed to be the real end of the world. The time between May 21st and October 21st was/is the tribulation.

I haven't read much PR about the new date, so maybe it's fallen by the wayside. :cry:

Guest Anonymous
Fraid not. I'm like Moses--I suck at talking and explaining. My father had a site, daysofvengeance.com and quitchurch.com explaining things but they seem to be gone now.

Fair enough, I'll do some more googling and see what I can come up with.

Remember October 21st is the day he appointed to be the real end of the world. The time between May 21st and October 21st was/is the tribulation.

I haven't read much PR about the new date, so maybe it's fallen by the wayside. :cry:

I didn't hear much about it either, in fact this is the first time I have. But I didn't hear much about it until a week or two before May 21. I'd heard about it before then, but only one article and that was it. It didn't make the mainstream news for months after that.

Of course, now that everyone knows Camping is a loony...

I think God (if he exists) must enjoy fucking around with him.

I don't know, this is at least his second failed prediction. My parents believed his prediction that 1994 was the end of the world too. After the world failed to end you'd think no one would believe him again but they did.

He only started talking about Oct 21 after his May prediction failed.

To me, it seemed like the May one got more coverage, and maybe had more outsiders nervous. But then, this is the age of the internet. Things were a little different in '94.

My father said something before the May thing failed; he said something to the effect of 'it could be in May or it could be in October'. So the Oct date is not new to me.

He put up billboards and signs for the May date -- they were even in the DC subway system. I heard this morning on the radio that it's ON for October 21. Camping evidently maintains that it started on May 21, but vewwy vewwy qwietwee, and will finish up on October. Which is good for me -- my Visa bill isn't due until the 22nd. ;)

My ex-husband happened upon his radio show shortly after our divorce was final. Thought Camping was marvelous. Might have had something to do with the fact that Camping was anti-divorce-for-any-reason ...

Guest Anonymous

What i still don't understand is why the people who subscribe to this wingnuttery solicit donations. If you really are going to be raptured, you're going where money is unnecessary. And if you don't get raptured, your money will be no good in a collapsed society.

I don't get it either. I just know believing in predictions is no way to live. I'm still struggling to learn how to live like I have a future.

Fair enough, I'll do some more googling and see what I can come up with.

No will do AD. You're on a board that uses words, explanation. At least give us your 10 Commandments of belief...or go away.

No will do AD. You're on a board that uses words, explanation. At least give us your 10 Commandments of belief...or go away.

Well here are some views of those sites from the Internet Time Machine.

I see that the quality of ideas here is on par with the quality of web design: http://web.archive.org/web/200411291323 ... hurch.com/

And we've moved into the website as PTA newsletter: http://web.archive.org/web/201009302103 ... eance.com/

I reviewed the site and saw nothing really supporting the idea. Am I missing something? Is this one of those things that Jews don't understand?

I mean: I read a bunch of Bible quotes, but none of them seemed to add up to the conclusion. Like if I said, all women should wear flip-flops because 1st Chronicles 19:18 says And the Syrians fled before Israel; and David slew of the Syrians the men of' seven thousand chariots, and forty thousand footmen, and killed Shophach the captain of the host.

But maybe there is some interpretation that I don't get. I was being a little sarcastic as well.

Archived