IGNORED

M is For Mama - where quiver full meets Pinterest

TuringMachine

I just realized what bugged me about the GRRR8(T?) post, her gigantic house is front and center. it's perfectly in the background, centered on both sides so it's clear that was the purpose, I'm sure something else in the yard or outside could have been in the background, but it's blurred and in the background so she can act like it wasn't her intention. So it's not only look at my cute kids, amazing husband and baby #8 but look at my gigantic house, but in a way you can't call me out on being a stuck up BEC.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/24/2018 at 2:07 PM, TuringMachine said:

Well I like name guess so I'm gonna start.  Her current kids are: 

Boys: Ezra, Simon, Theodore, and Honor
Girls: Adelaide (Della), Evangeline (Evy), and Magnolia (Nola)

If it's a girl I'd guess something like Genevieve (maybe call her Vivi or something) or maybe Eleanor?

For boys, well, Honor is kinda throwing me off, maybe Micah to go with Ezra and Simon or Sebastian to go with Theo?

She needs an Alvin to go with Simon and Theodore!

Edit: I see I was the LAST one to make the joke!

If I were going to name a daughter Magnolia(which I wouldn't, but that's just me), I would use Maggie as a nickname).

27 minutes ago, smittykins said:

If I were going to name a daughter Magnolia(which I wouldn't, but that's just me), I would use Maggie as a nickname).

I think she just likes making a super special nick name because she’s super special. That’s why I said I could see her naming a child Georgianna and calling her Gia. Because that’s not the typical nick name for Georgianna. 

12 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

How does Braggie have the time to devote such intricate design detail on every single inch of the home?

Can someone help me understand?

Easy. She makes her mother take care of her kids and when that's not happening, her kids take care of her kids. That way, she doesn't have to parent, only "train" when things don't go exactly the way she wants them.

On 9/2/2018 at 12:51 AM, luv2laugh said:

How does Braggie have the time to devote such intricate design detail on every single inch of the home?

Can someone help me understand?

And to jump on to what Catholic Life said, it's also not that hard to decorate when you have enough money. I'm guessing a decent chunk of homeschool time has "teacher" shopping online. 

I will play devil's advocate on the subject of children's vs parent's clothing: because kids play hard and grow fast, it makes sense to buy most of their wardrobe secondhand. Parents who presumably stay the same size for years and can take care of their belongings to keep them in good shape might invest in good quality duds. Fast fashion is bad for the environment, the wallet and usually human rights. Good quality bespoke clothing is the Vimes Principle of Boots in action ;)

But the thing is- Braggie claims to buy all of her furniture and decor pre-owned, on sale at Hobby Lobby, Goodwill, virtual garage sales, Craigslist, DIY, and occasionally IKEA and Wayfair. It takes copious, extensive amounts of time and long hours of research to search for bargains on these sites. This doesn’t even include the time it takes it creatively brainstorm how it will “blend” in with the style at home. She has to be spending at least ~15 hrs/week researching deals on decor.

@FecundFundieFundus

Braggie is definitely reading here. Check out this sponsored post of a thrift shop where she decked out the kids wardrobe with.

87F261A3-41FC-4BA2-8D16-6D3418F72F35.thumb.jpeg.eb4036badea7ec7d660d9b22241d6901.jpeg

It is also ironic that she finally posted a picture of her two adorable kids BEING kids after we complained she doesn’t.

She also posted a food picture and for ONCE, took the focus off of her self by asking “What is everyone up to today?” 

Also, don’t be fooled by Braggie’s staging. They built that paper flimsy house with connections they had with friends with a company that had a huge amount of materials for the project. She also lives way out in the boonies, in the middle of nowhere, and her husband can get away with it by working mostly remotely with occasional commutes. He also uses vacation time from his “day job” to do his side gig of helping people from other areas and states with their computers. He also invests in a few rental properties for passive income.

Braggie is solidly middle class trying to portray a FAKE wealthy lifestyle (like so many others on Instagram do) and for now, she is comfortable. Wait until her kids need to start thinking about college. At 35, she has 8 and counting. She could easily get to 11. I’d be pooping my pants worried financially if I were them. 

Braggie seems to only care about herself. I don’t think she has the futures in mind for her 8 kids in terms of setting them up to be competitive and successful in life. She skimps on everything and when spending money, it goes to food, her wardrobe, and her decor. It seems like it’s ALL about the quantity over quality for Braggie. It’s all about Braggie and making the kids appear as props supporting her quiverfull mission. Most of us parents would be bending over backwards to set up our kids to be competitive for top colleges and financial success. We think of the kids first before ourselves and our house decorations!!!

I agree her kids are cute. For now they are all willing to dress in clothes of her choice and gather round her to show what a great mother she is. Ten years from now most of her children will be teenagers or older and far less likely to be genuinely smiling to prop her up. Some families ( Arndts, Maxwells ) seem to be able to retain iron control but most of the others ( Penningtons, Jeubs even the Duggars to some extent ) have been forced to cede some control to their children. I wonder how she will cope.

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

But the thing is- Braggie claims to buy all of her furniture and decor pre-owned, on sale at Hobby Lobby, Goodwill, virtual garage sales, Craigslist, DIY, and occasionally IKEA and Wayfair. It takes copious, extensive amounts of time and long hours of research to search for bargains on these sites. This doesn’t even include the time it takes it creatively brainstorm how it will “blend” in with the style at home. She has to be spending at least ~15 hrs/week researching deals on decor.

@FecundFundieFundus

Think this is it.

She also definitely spends a ton of time keeping certain rooms IG ready and curating photos. Once she knows vaguely how the rooms are going to be styled and what their vibe is, it's much easier to pick up different things that catch one's eye when out shopping. But since they sold off a house with their furnishings (IIRC, I only vaguely follow her), I'd be willing to lay money down that Braggie got a bunch of shit on Amazon to jump start the decor in their new place. 

Hahahaha she definitely thrifts, though... Reading through her IG and she says she "discovered Goodwill will no longer change their prices at the register [eyeroll emoji] even when" blah blah blah. 

Fun fact: that's not true. Managers enforce that rule for problem customers who waste employee time and cause headaches every time they come in. If you have two shirts, one costing $1 and the other $4, be excited you saved $3 on the cheaper shirt.

I would go thrift shopping way more if I had the time. But it takes a lot of time to go through rack after rack of clothing while looking for a correct size and if you happen to find it, you then have to look for holes or stains. That’s incredibly time consuming. I would say the vast majority of pregnant women with 8 kids just don’t have that kind of time. Again, Braggie is dxtremely privileged in the fact that she has her mother or husband able to watch the children regularly. And the fact that her oldest is even able to be a brother dad is not common. I know so many 12 year old boys that would never put up with that shit without a fight. Plus they get distracted kind of easily so it’s not a great idea to allow them to watch 6 younger siblings all at once. I’m not saying all 12 year old boys are irresponsible. Just that it’s not that common to find one that can watch 6 younger kids all at once for hours without a catastrophe of some sort. 

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would go thrift shopping way more if I had the time. But it takes a lot of time to go through rack after rack of clothing while looking for a correct size and if you happen to find it, you then have to look for holes or stains. That’s incredibly time consuming. I would say the vast majority of pregnant women with 8 kids just don’t have that kind of time. Again, Braggie is dxtremely privileged in the fact that she has her mother or husband able to watch the children regularly. And the fact that her oldest is even able to be a brother dad is not common. I know so many 12 year old boys that would never put up with that shit without a fight. Plus they get distracted kind of easily so it’s not a great idea to allow them to watch 6 younger siblings all at once. I’m not saying all 12 year old boys are irresponsible. Just that it’s not that common to find one that can watch 6 younger kids all at once for hours without a catastrophe of some sort. 

Heck, my own mother can’t even watch 6 younger kids at a time (or even 3-4). ?

11 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Braggie is solidly middle class trying to portray a FAKE wealthy lifestyle (like so many others on Instagram do) and for now, she is comfortable. Wait until her kids need to start thinking about college. At 35, she has 8 and counting. She could easily get to 11. I’d be pooping my pants worried financially if I were them. 

Braggie seems to only care about herself. I don’t think she has the futures in mind for her 8 kids in terms of setting them up to be competitive and successful in life. She skimps on everything and when spending money, it goes to food, her wardrobe, and her decor. It seems like it’s ALL about the quantity over quality for Braggie. It’s all about Braggie and making the kids appear as props supporting her quiverfull mission. Most of us parents would be bending over backwards to set up our kids to be competitive for top colleges and financial success. We think of the kids first before ourselves and our house decorations!!!

I've been following Braggie for a while, and she has made it clear before that they will not be paying for college educations for their kids. They believe college is not necessary, and if one of their kids really wants to go, they have to pay for it themselves. Kind of easy to say when both she and her husband went to college and, I imagine, had their parents' support. I don't think her husband would have the career that he does without college. Hypocrite.

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Again, Braggie is dxtremely privileged in the fact that she has her mother or husband able to watch the children regularly. And the fact that her oldest is even able to be a brother dad is not common. I know so many 12 year old boys that would never put up with that shit without a fight. Plus they get distracted kind of easily so it’s not a great idea to allow them to watch 6 younger siblings all at once. I’m not saying all 12 year old boys are irresponsible. Just that it’s not that common to find one that can watch 6 younger kids all at once for hours without a catastrophe of some sort.  

Not just that. Her two oldest boys babysit all the kids of the women who come to her house to work out twice a week. At least she pays them (I wonder how much!), but she's mentioned that sometimes, it's 20+ kids up there. Sounds like a GREAT idea to have two pre-teens in charge of over 20 children, including babies and toddlers, doesn't it? ?

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

I've been following Braggie for a while, and she has made it clear before that they will not be paying for college educations for their kids. They believe college is not necessary, and if one of their kids really wants to go, they have to pay for it themselves. Kind of easy to say when both she and her husband went to college and, I imagine, had their parents' support. I don't think her husband would have the career that he does without college. Hypocrite.

Not just that. Her two oldest boys babysit all the kids of the women who come to her house to work out twice a week. At least she pays them (I wonder how much!), but she's mentioned that sometimes, it's 20+ kids up there. Sounds like a GREAT idea to have two pre-teens in charge of over 20 children, including babies and toddlers, doesn't it? ?

Grr. People who don't want to mother shouldn't have 7 kids! And have one, maybe two on the way!

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would go thrift shopping way more if I had the time. But it takes a lot of time to go through rack after rack of clothing while looking for a correct size and if you happen to find it, you then have to look for holes or stains. That’s incredibly time consuming.

Yeah, I love to go thrift shopping, but it can be hard to find things that really fit my style and my size. One thing I like to do is go to charity shops (in the UK)/Goodwill (in the US) in tony areas, because they'll have good shit. I got a cashmere sweater for five dollars from a Goodwill, and got my senior prom dress from a thrift shop. But it's a major time commitment to go thrifting, and you have to go in with an open mind, because unlike regular chain stores where you're more likely to find something that fits what you're on the hunt for ("I want to get some v-neck t-shirts" or "I want a black sheath dress with very few embellishments on it"), you pretty much have to sift through what the shop has. Sometimes you find it, sometimes you find something you didn't realize you liked/wanted, other times you'll come out empty-handed.

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This. This. This. 

I can't agree more. I have a friend who spends hours at the internet looking for clothing offers (not used, but new). She gets brand clothes really cheap. What bothers me is that she implies that I'm silly because I buy at my town shops paying normal prices and I do not save. But I have not time. I work, I workout and above all I spend time with my family. I have tried to do what she does and it's really time consuming, plus it is usual you have to change some items, so you need even more time.

Regarding pre-teens, you are so right. I have a responsible 13 year-old. But it would be cruel to keep him isolated in the middle of nowhere, looking after siblings and being a housekeeper and of course he would fight or get depressed or both. I'm sure fundies just do not share all the home accidents, hard sibling fights and complains they have (or, in the case of non-complaining children, their anxiety issues). Because even the most mature and obedient 12 years old is unable to properly look after 6 little siblings. Negligence is running but parents just care for the pictures.

So she denies her children the kind of education she and her husband received that made this lifestyle possible? I just don't get it. With some off the less worldly families this might make sense since they wouldn't want their kids to experience the heathen environment. But Braggie and her kids don't seem sheltered at all so why all the fuss about NOT sending your kids to college? Because she can't stand the thought of not being able to buy a bunch of decoration stuff every month?

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

So she denies her children the kind of education she and her husband received that made this lifestyle possible? I just don't get it. With some off the less worldly families this might make sense since they wouldn't want their kids to experience the heathen environment. But Braggie and her kids don't seem sheltered at all so why all the fuss about NOT sending your kids to college? Because she can't stand the thought of not being able to buy a bunch of decoration stuff every month?

Because Braggie wants to pretend like she is a rich girl (yet lives out in the boonies in a paper thin house) and spend the money decorating her house in an attempt to show off. Braggie is a super special DIY interior designer, guys. Braggie is above living a typical middle class lifestyle in a suburb with good public schools like everyone else does, guys. Braggie needs her ego boosted more than budgeting for 8+ kids to go to college. 

IMO - Braggie (I'm so proud that I came up with that moniker, btw, thankyouverymuch) keeps blogging because she's angling for a book deal a la Ann Voskamp or Shauna Niequist.  Until she learns how to self-edit her word diarrhea, it ain't gonna happen.  That and the fact that there are hundreds of sickly-sweet christian mommy bloggers JUST LIKE HER.

ETA:  many years ago I read a blog for awhile that was basically the Orthodox equivalent of Braggie - perfectly curated house, perfectly curated photos, and oh so humble (not).  I had to stop reading it because it made me feel so shitty as a mother and a homemaker.  I guarantee you Braggie and her ilk make FAR more women feel like total shit than the alternative.

12 hours ago, ophelia said:

So she denies her children the kind of education she and her husband received that made this lifestyle possible?

Par for the course with all these people. Such a bunch of fucking hypocrites.

Look at how many fundie parents graduated from or at least attended college, not to say actually MEETING each other at college:

• Doug & Beall Phillips: William & Mary
  • Geoff & Victoria Botkin: University of Oklahoma
  • Jennie Chancey: King University
  • Scott Brown: Cal State Fullerton
  • Steve & Teri Maxwell: University of Missouri at Rolla

I'm sure there are more.

40 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Look at how many fundie parents graduated from or at least attended college, not to say actually MEETING each other at college:

I'm sure there are more.

Gil and Kelly met at a college they wouldn’t allow their kids to attend. 

Don't forget Braggy's mother was a public school teacher who worked all the time Braggy was growing up.  I wonder what Grandmother has to say about no college for her grandchildren?

I've figured out who Braggy's is trying to be -- a very Christian version of Joanna Gaines. 

Think of all the money the Gaines earn with their various business.  Why if Braggy could swing a gig(s) like that she could afford even more Anthropologie furnishings and meaningless kitsch for her paper house. 

She could outsource homeschooling completely to her mom and parenting to her 2 oldest.  She could devote all her time to creating this fake world of DIY and thrifting everything and pretend she's Just.  Like.  Us.  Except with more children and an extra special relationship with Jesus because she's so special happy sparkly sugary-sweet godly that He loves her best.

Do her kids even have friends? She doesn't ever mention that they hang out with anyone else besides their siblings. It must feel so very isolating, being in the middle of nowhere, combined with the fact that they don't get to have friends, except for maybe the other kids at the home school co-op.

I really think she needs to cut down in her instagram captions. They're far too long, and they really need to stop being so false-preachy. If she captured a more authentic version of their "mess" on instagram, stopped being so long winded, and maybe stopped being so "woe is me. lol" about her kids, then she'd maybe be a bit more likable. I don't know why she can't just a) stick to being one of those instagrammers that just give you pretty pictures to look at and captions to not read, or b) a mommy blogger who acts like she, i don't know, shows her children having fun doing normal activities? plus her ACTUALLY interacting with them. She needs to pick a side and refine, refine, refine. Otherwise, she's not gonna be that likable.

7 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

I'm sure there are more.

Yes, there are a lot of college educated fundie parents out there that wouldn't allow their kids the same experience. Yet it surprises me that Braggy is one of them since most of the families mentioned seem more fundie and less worldly to me.

On a sidenote: could anybody explain to me why a lot of people say she lives in a paperhouse? Thank you!!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived