IGNORED

"Teaching Our Daughters to Do Their Husbands Good NOW"

raineymott

When I was little I spent my money on candy bars and model ponies, not throw pillows and toaster ovens. How sad.

All my money went to buying books about science, or novels with strong female characters who made their own decisions in life.

For me it depends how little you go, but a lot of mine went towards books, clothes and candy/chocolate. I suppose I'm just useless and unprepared for life.

There might be something in having the kid put aside a certain percentage of money into a savings fund for college (or an apartment or a car or whatever) but the rest of it--majorly disturbing.

And they should definitely get to spend the rest of their money on things THEY want to spend it on. Half my childhood was spent saving up for something: an American Girl doll, a video camera, whatever.

Oh and books. I used to think my parents were too strict, until I came here. If I didn't have books growing up, I literally would have killed myself.

When I was young, I wasn't *allowed* to spend my money so that someday when I got married, I'd be able to give my husband all the money I'd saved over the years.

This is horrible on so many levels. :( I'm so sorry you had to deal with such utter shit.

Archived