IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin: Skinny for Jesus

nausicaa

I don’t even go to this church but just reading all about it and watching Remnant videos has made me very self-conscious. I gained some weight and I can hear Gwen’s words and it makes me feel bad. I’m not even a member but it’s still emotionally harmful for me. If I am having this reaction, I can only imagine how the kids, that had no choice to be part of the cult, must feel.

@RFsurvivor @RFSurvivor_2 How does Gwen treat people that are overweight? Do they show up to her parties? I read a testimony of a man who did Weigh Down and who recently lost his job and he and his wife  went to visit their friend at remnant fellowship and help set up the wedding. Gwen interrogated him about why he didn’t have a job, why he was in “Nashville” and not back home looking for a job, and then said she was concerned that he and his wife were treating it “like a vacation” when he lost his job. Also, Gwen even asked his wife why she didn’t have a job. It seemed like Gwen was shaming them to try to get them to leave.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I don’t even go to this church but just reading all about it and watching Remnant videos has made me very self-conscious. I gained some weight and I can hear Gwen’s words and it makes me feel bad. I’m not even a member but it’s still emotionally harmful for me. If I am having this reaction, I can only imagine how the kids, that had no choice to be part of the cult, must feel.

@RFsurvivor @RFSurvivor_2 How does Gwen treat people that are overweight? Do they show up to her parties? I read a testimony of a man who did Weigh Down and who recently lost his job and he and his wife  went to visit their friend at remnant fellowship and help set up the wedding. Gwen interrogated him about why he didn’t have a job, why he was in “Nashville” and not back home looking for a job, and then said she was concerned that he and his wife were treating it “like a vacation” when he lost his job. Also, Gwen even asked his wife why she didn’t have a job. It seemed like Gwen was shaming them to try to get them to leave.

I’m sorry it has affected you. It has affected me for several years.

And talking so much about them lately — after a healthy period of time away from the insanity — has consumed me, and I’m going to have to take a serious step back.

I appreciate the truth I’ve heard, but now I need a breather. I’ve been sucked back in, and I need out.

Best!

Luckily I fell down this rabbit hole in my 30s. If I had read all about Gwen when I was 21, she would have made me feel really insecure and guilty for being a “glutton.” 

A friend of mine has just lost 25 pounds. I'd like to lose some weight too, so when she mentioned she was doing some kind of mentoring/coaching I was curious. No, she isn't into Weigh Down or Remnant--just a run-of-the-mill meal replacement system. But this is what struck me:

I couldn't consider using her "system" because I'm in a different country, but I joined the Facebook group she offered, for "encouragement." Oh boy. Encouragement? More like self-hatred.

Post after post falling into one of two categories: 1) victorious posts showing before and after, hating on how worthless they used to be and how they can now finally be happy, or 2) posts asking for help as they struggle with sticking to the program, filled with self-insults. Both kinds of post make me feel sick.

My weight doesn't define me. Heck, my body alone doesn't define me. I can be overweight and still be enormously valuable, loved, useful, and happy. I would like to lose weight to make my life *even better*, not to haul my wretched life up out of some swamp of worthlessness. I'm already worthwhile. Losing some weight would just be a nice extra.

Anyway, I've noped out of receiving those notifications. How awful it would be if on top of linking weight to general worthiness, it linked weight to spiritual things. That would be evil, and that's what Remnant does. Blech.

1 hour ago, Petronella said:

A friend of mine has just lost 25 pounds. I'd like to lose some weight too, so when she mentioned she was doing some kind of mentoring/coaching I was curious. No, she isn't into Weigh Down or Remnant--just a run-of-the-mill meal replacement system. But this is what struck me:

I couldn't consider using her "system" because I'm in a different country, but I joined the Facebook group she offered, for "encouragement." Oh boy. Encouragement? More like self-hatred.

Post after post falling into one of two categories: 1) victorious posts showing before and after, hating on how worthless they used to be and how they can now finally be happy, or 2) posts asking for help as they struggle with sticking to the program, filled with self-insults. Both kinds of post make me feel sick.

My weight doesn't define me. Heck, my body alone doesn't define me. I can be overweight and still be enormously valuable, loved, useful, and happy. I would like to lose weight to make my life *even better*, not to haul my wretched life up out of some swamp of worthlessness. I'm already worthwhile. Losing some weight would just be a nice extra.

Anyway, I've noped out of receiving those notifications. How awful it would be if on top of linking weight to general worthiness, it linked weight to spiritual things. That would be evil, and that's what Remnant does. Blech.

That makes me so very sad because I was definitely in that mentality as a young adult. I’ve realized now that I most want to lose weight for energy and feeling better. I want to be more active. I want to do more. The way I look after losing weight isn’t really a motivator for me. But when I was young, it was by far the biggest motivator. 

It’s crazy how that completely switched as I’ve gotten older. 

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Luckily I fell down this rabbit hole in my 30s. If I had read all about Gwen when I was 21, she would have made me feel really insecure and guilty for being a “glutton.” 

I wasn't so lucky. I found out about Gwen Shamblin and WeighDown through a college friend of mine, and in doing research on the interwebz, I stumbled across a pro-eating disorder forum. Yeah... not a good time in my life. I lost so much weight so fast by starving, binging, and purging, that I fried my gall bladder, ruined my teeth, and messed up my heart rhythm. She is dangerous.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:15 PM, sajetime said:

CB1416B2-518F-4374-82D5-B9C87A6C4D1F.jpeg

Is it just me.... or does having a black tie dress for a second wedding seem inappropriate?

It's not just you. 

I wonder if Michael will be allowed to attend as he's gained weight and it now hidden from the rest of the "saints"?  I wonder if he will even want to attend?  I wonder if he will be forced to attend in order to show family solidarity and acceptance of the quicky wedding and new hubby?

I also wonder if Gwen will make Joe Lara failed country singer her new musical director and resident musical genius?  Replacing Michael because after all 1) Michael gained some weight, 2) we have to keep the younger new husband happy, and 3) how better to force RF to accept  to integrate JL into RF than by placing him smack dab in a prominent position in the upper Leadership.

How do we know for sure though that Michael has been told not to come to church?

It wouldn’t surprise me too much since an ex member testimony said she was asked to step down from being a Weigh Down Leader after she gained weight.

On 7/29/2018 at 7:20 PM, sajetime said:

I always guessed that Gwen does make an income on the books she writes too. I think that’s how it works with other prominent church leaders that don’t take a salary (like Osteen)?

Probably. A lot of Fortune 500 CEOs, if you look at annual corporate disclosures, have a yearly salary of like $1, but that's because pretty much all their money comes from stock in the company, plus speaking fees, book deals, getting paid to be on boards of other companies, and personal investments. It looks noble if you're not looking closely. Now, that's not to say I'm against people making a buck (though I think CEOs should prioritize their employees making a living wage and being paid equally and fairly before giving themselves enough money to buy a yacht made of cocaine or whatever), but I want more people to be aware that "he/she doesn't take a salary!" does not mean that that person's a self-sacrificing ascetic. 

So here is a little update. Remnant Fellowship is monitoring this site. Directed my child to it and Brentwood Homepage, so she cancelled a lunch she had scheduled with her dad to punish me for being on here. She said that my avatar is a 5 year old child so I'm posing as such. Said that I showed up for a private court hearing(which a news station and all of Gwen's leaders also showed up too). 

On 7/29/2018 at 11:03 PM, luv2laugh said:

Reading about Gwen and watching her videos has really triggered anorexia-like, Gwen sanctioned behavior in me. When I’m hungry, I eat, but then question:

“Was it TOO much?”

”Was I really hungry?”

”Should I eat since I feel hungry but don’t hear ‘the GROWL’?”

”Is this true hunger?”

Being a member would be really depressing. I bet the mental scars of former members are unbearable. 

I can speak from experience. The mental scars are awful and the impact on my life is something that is difficult to explain/work through because people do not see a church as something that can truly be a cult. I have been in therapy for a while working through problems from my time as a member of RF. 

On 7/31/2018 at 12:52 AM, luv2laugh said:

Do you think Gwen will have the wedding live-streamed?

Oh probably, but to watch it I’m sure you would have to have a RF sign in or fill out a visitor log in. They track all visitors watching webcasts. 

On 7/31/2018 at 3:03 PM, akinom said:

I’m watching Gwen talking to three people about other diet (whole food veganism got the most bashed). She doesn’t believe in celiac disease!

Or most mental illnesses.    

On 7/31/2018 at 8:38 PM, luv2laugh said:

People who gain weight are shunned. You get told to take more classes. Get more involved and get in “the center of the pack”. To get an accountability partner who you have to tell them everything you eat and to be shamed for every bite. You are asked to not attend services in person as to not give visitors the wrong idea about the Remnant of his TRUE church. But you still have to dedicate time and money to the church. There is so much shame there. So much. But you get so brainwashed to think that the shame is deserved and you brought the shame upon yourself. 

2 hours ago, SJWaterford said:

So here is a little update. Remnant Fellowship is monitoring this site. Directed my child to it and Brentwood Homepage, so she cancelled a lunch she had scheduled with her dad to punish me for being on here. She said that my avatar is a 5 year old child so I'm posing as such. Said that I showed up for a private court hearing(which a news station and all of Gwen's leaders also showed up too). 

Indeed! @RFsurvivor and I recently (over the past 3 days) have had family members (who are in the church) and a few RF members remove us from their facebook friend's list. I also unexpectedly received a few messages from members as well, justifying as to why they were removing me. Those messages have been quite entertaining to say the least.

Anyway, I noted a few pages ago on this thread that they potentially were watching this forum. This confirms it. We cannot confirm or deny if they know who @RFsurvivor and I are however it wouldn't surprise me. To be blunt, this is quite refreshing and solidifies everything we have been saying about this cult here on this forum and outside in real life / reality. They will do everything they can to demonize, tear apart, bully and alienate those who have left and disagree with them.

3 minutes ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

Indeed! @RFsurvivor and I recently (over the past 3 days) have had family members (who are in the church) and a few ex RF members remove us from their facebook friend's list. Not only that, I unexpectedly received a few messages from members as well, justifying as to why they were removing me. Those messages have been quite entertaining to say the least.

Anyway, I noted a few pages ago on this thread that they potentially were watching this forum. This confirms it. We cannot confirm or deny if they know who @RFsurvivor and I are however it wouldn't surprise me. To be blunt, this is quite refreshing and solidifies everything we have been saying about this cult here on this forum and outside in real life / reality. They will do everything they can to demonize, tear apart, bully and alienate those who have left and disagree with them.

So much love from the “True Church Of GOD” *eye roll*

8 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

So much love from the “True Church Of GOD” *eye roll*

They have so little faith in their god that they have to attempt (key word, attempt) to try and go after us in the most hilariously petty way possible. Couldn't they just pray us away? This is beyond hilarious! This is great!

To our beloved Admins & Mods:

Would you please consider making Gwen threads members only? Affording some protection to RF refugees & loyal Jingerites from legal action?

Thanks for your time.

@Curious @Destiny 

50 minutes ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

Indeed! @RFsurvivor and I recently (over the past 3 days) have had family members (who are in the church) and a few ex RF members remove us from their facebook friend's list. Not only that, I unexpectedly received a few messages from members as well, justifying as to why they were removing me. Those messages have been quite entertaining to say the least.

Why would ex members remove you? They don't want to get involved or what?

3 minutes ago, SJWaterford said:

Why would ex members remove you? They don't want to get involved or what?

I just edited that post. I ment to say CURRENT RF members.

2 hours ago, SJWaterford said:

1 hour ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

Indeed! @RFsurvivor and I recently (over the past 3 days) have had family members (who are in the church) and a few RF members remove us from their facebook friend's list. I also unexpectedly received a few messages from members as well, justifying as to why they were removing me. Those messages have been quite entertaining to say the least.

Of course they are.  Remnant has had a 'Truth Rises To The Top' team that hit the search engines for key words like Remnant Fellowship, Gwen Shamblin, etc.   The 'pro-Remnant' websites (their many websites) that come up as search results are then clicked on, hoping the search engines register that as a successful search and that particular search result that was click on will 'rise to the top' of search results.  Their hope is that they push down the sites critical of Remnant and Gwen and Weigh Down.  They actually do this.  They actually have a name for team of volunteers.

Think of a little 'church' committee that gathers together and just does search engine searches and tries to affect what search engines return.

They are fully aware of all sites/forums/etc that try to bring out the real truth of how dangerous Remnant is and how many lives it has destroyed.  It was no coincidence with within just hours of someone here posting the online wedding RSVP page for Gwen Shamblin's marriage to Joe Lara, that is was taken down.*

*This is also curious to watch.  The 'leaders' of Remnant had a meeting last week with members explaining away/justifying Gwen's divorce and celebrating her engagement/officially announcing her wedding date of this Aug 18th.  Yet it's almost like they're trying to keep this quiet in the public eye.  The online RSVP invite comes down hours after being posted here, their own website dedicated to Remnant Weddings ( www.remnantfellowshipweddings.com ) doesn't have Gwen's own wedding listed in their upcoming section (which they keep up to date).  The wedding isn't on their public event calendar (which they keep up to date).  These are no mistakes.  They are very organized.  They are keeping this major event off their public websites, whereas they would normally advertise such a major event to high heavens.  Wouldn't the world want to know a prophetess is getting married?  Why keep quiet about this huge, majorly important event when they normally advertise the living crap out of every other Remnant event/Weigh Down event/Remnant Wedding?

1 hour ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Would you please consider making Gwen threads members only? Affording some protection to RF refugees & loyal Jingerites from legal action?

Thanks for your time.

@Curious @Destiny 

I think this is a bad idea for 2 reasons.

For one, they already know about this site and this thread.  I guarantee you they will just get an anonymous member account and lurk.  They will absolutely want to continue to watch this thread for what is said.  Making it private won't stop them if all you need is a freejinger account to see it.

Two, you will stop the very important work this thread is doing to bring just a small fraction of all the damage that Remnant causes to the public eye.  This is a great thread with multiple ex-members and multiple people who have lost family members to Remnant.  Truth is coming out from their 1st hand experiences.  Remnant would love nothing more for this thread to disappear from the public eye and search engine results.  

Making this thread private will play into exactly what Remnant hopes will happen.

29 minutes ago, WorseThan1Thinks said:

Of course they are.  Remnant has had a 'Truth Rises To The Top' team that hit the search engines for key words like Remnant Fellowship, Gwen Shamblin, etc.   The 'pro-Remnant' websites (their many websites) that come up as search results are then clicked on, hoping the search engines register that as a successful search and that particular search result that was click on will 'rise to the top' of search results.  Their hope is that they push down the sites critical of Remnant and Gwen and Weigh Down.  They actually do this.  They actually have a name for team of volunteers.

Think of a little 'church' committee that gathers together and just does search engine searches and tries to affect what search engines return.

They are fully aware of all sites/forums/etc that try to bring out the real truth of how dangerous Remnant is and how many lives it has destroyed.  It was no coincidence with within just hours of someone here posting the online wedding RSVP page for Gwen Shamblin's marriage to Joe Lara, that is was taken down.*

*This is also curious to watch.  The 'leaders' of Remnant had a meeting last week with members explaining away/justifying Gwen's divorce and celebrating her engagement/officially announcing her wedding date of this Aug 18th.  Yet it's almost like they're trying to keep this quiet in the public eye.  The online RSVP invite comes down hours after being posted here, their own website dedicated to Remnant Weddings ( www.remnantfellowshipweddings.com ) doesn't have Gwen's own wedding listed in their upcoming section (which they keep up to date).  The wedding isn't on their public event calendar (which they keep up to date).  These are no mistakes.  They are very organized.  They are keeping this major event off their public websites, whereas they would normally advertise such a major event to high heavens.  Wouldn't the world want to know a prophetess is getting married?  Why keep quiet about this huge, majorly important event when they normally advertise the living crap out of every other Remnant event/Weigh Down event/Remnant Wedding?

I know this team because I was close with some members if this team at one point. They are quite predictable to be frank. I actually at one (very brief) point was a part of one of the original teams YEARS ago, way before it was as structured and organized as it is now. I personally was hoping to flesh them out of hiding. It appears that they definitely reported to Gwen and her people. This is good news seeing as this is definitely a sign that we (not just @RFsurvivor and I but you and many members on this forum) are onto them and have been for years.

1 hour ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Thanks for your time.

@Curious @Destiny 

@WorseThan1Thinks said it brilliantly. Admins, please do NOT privatize this thread. This thread needs to live on and stay public. This thread is extremely important for a number of reasons. Individuals in the cult who are questioning Gwen, leadership and are seeking answers can learn more about the truth in this thread. They can see the words of those who have been affected by this cult and see how Gwen and her ilk are destroying lives. This thread is an excellent outlet and information pool to those who are curious about it the cult and those who have loved ones trapped in there can find some answers and some reprieve from their situation. 

@RFsurvivor and I are going to continue sharing our experiences. We have so much to say and discuss here. We encourage anyone out there to step forward and share your experiences on how RF has effected you and/or those you love and are close with.

On that note....

I would like to formally warn everyone in this thread. Do not share any information that can legally make you vulnerable. Despite the financial impact Gwen has taken, she has a lot of rich and powerful people that are under her. Do not give them a legitimate foundation in which they can legally sue you. They can, have and WILL do it. 

I apologize for being shortsighted in my request earlier. Please disregard. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived