IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Pikes Peak or Bust?

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Also, "takeaway" (British) = "to go" (US).

Reminds me of when my mother visited us in California for the first time. She saw the word taco, pronounced it take-oh, and asked if it was a take away place. I miss her.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Mayluka said:

All of their pictures together are starting to look the same to me, but at least Austin looks a lot more relaxed/happy and less intense/creepy like in previous pictures.

He got laid. He's def more relaxed lol

On 6/10/2017 at 2:39 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:
The main reasons most Americans (IMO) don't travel outside the country are:
1:  Cost. Going from the USA to Europe can easily cost more than $1,200/ticket, depending on where you're flying from. 
2:  Exchange rates for currency. 
3:  No passport and can't afford it. (The money struggle is real for so many people.)
4:  Fear. Fear of the unknown, terrorists, change, etc. 
5:  They believe America is the best there is, and nothing could be better than where they are right now. They don't care a rat's ass about culture and expanding their limited world view. 

I am European and I am living very close to 4 countries (Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, France) so there are 4 different languages within a few kilometers... I think that's one of the problems of the most Americans... the variety of languages... of course, most of the people speak English here but I think it's still very impressive, i think... we once met some young people from all parts of the US and they told us that our history was something they admire because it's over 2000 years and back home, it's only something about 200 years... I was in New York and I really loved it... but you can't compare it to Rome or some other very old cities in Europe...

I wonder if TLC was like "ok guys. We will pay for the honeymoon but no Italy, France, Australia, or New Zealand. That's been done on the show. So think about it and let us know".  And that's how they ended up where they are. It does look super beautiful! 

Actually, New Zealand is still open. I don't think JinJer made it there because of the huge earthquake in Christchurch right around the time they arrived in Sydney. 

The full wedding party: Joy-Anna+wedding+party.jpeg

someone thought it was a good idea to put pregnant Anna on her knees on the floor. Who does that to a pregnant woman?! 

Also, Hannie is gorgeous! Jenni is actually smiling but I wonder how she must be feeling, she was closest to Joy I think. 

I just read Austin's handwritten love letter. I had to stop midway through because I get serious second hand embarassement. 

That letter can be given to any Christian girl. It didn't really have anything personal about her. Like he couldn't think of one thing besides talking about her being godly and good character? I don't care how you spin it, 15 years listening to the same sermons doesn't mean shit. Probably best reality show vows I heard suprisingly was teen mom Tyler to Catelyn and also Maci to Taylor. I know they wrote vows and it's different but the point I'm trying to make is that they were way more intimate.

I cringe! 

6 minutes ago, Exjw2015deed said:

I know they wrote vows and it's different but the point I'm trying to make is that they were way more intimate.

I cringe! 

Limited education and limited contact with his spouse. maybe this was the PUBLIC note he put out and gave her a more personal one? Nah, but he could have, no he couldn't have but normal men can and do. My husband gave me a super super sweet card he found, he said it took him 3 days of shopping, and if you knew him and see the internal rage he has when I ask him to run the block to Fareway to get a dozen eggs you would know what that took for him with as much as he HATES shopping.  He gave me a gift and a small note  publicly but didn't give me this card until we were alone, because it was for me alone. 

6 hours ago, mstee said:

I wonder if TLC was like "ok guys. We will pay for the honeymoon but no Italy, France, Australia, or New Zealand. That's been done on the show. So think about it and let us know".  And that's how they ended up where they are. It does look super beautiful! 

Now I'm picturing what that would leave when they get down to Josie.  "Your only options are Syria, North Korea, and the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone."

6 hours ago, mstee said:

Also no England, Scotland, Japan, and China, since TLC has filmed Duggar family trips. And no Indonesia (Jana/John mission trip), Nepal, or Central America.

3 minutes ago, Exjw2015deed said:

That letter can be given to any Christian girl. It didn't really have anything personal about her. Like he couldn't think of one thing besides talking about her being godly and good character?

I was trying to pin what it was that bothered me about that letter, and I think you nailed it right here. With such low standards, ones that any Christian woman theoretically could meet, it makes me wonder if fundie men really love their wives for their personalities or anything uniquely themselves. Jana, for example, also has the qualities Austin lists, so it almost gives the impression that fundie men look for wives like a Walmart hiring manager looks for employees: give them someone with a pulse and they're happy. 

1 minute ago, GeoBQn said:

Now I'm picturing what that would leave when they get down to Josie.  "Your only options are Syria, North Korea, and the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone."

I would watch the hell out of a Honeymoon episode shot in the Chernobyl Exclusion zone! :popcorn:

Now I'm picturing grown up Josie and her husband in Hazmat suits, looking at the camera and saying, "Today we're planning a day of looting, so we're headed to some long-abandoned homes to find gold and other valuables left behind in the disaster! #Soblessed to finally be married to my bff!" :pb_lol:

12 hours ago, Iokaste said:

It's probably that as a Scandinavian I've been taught to respect people's privacy, even in the public space since I was a child.

<snip>
I do try, but I'm afraid I often come across as cold and reserved when travelling outside Scandinavia/England, since my default is to ignore strangers, but trust me: it is meant as a courtesy and a way to give you space and respect your boundaries, not to let you know that you are insignificant and I don't like you :-) 

I was traveling in Israel years ago and met a half-Palestinian, half-Israeli guy.  He'd lived in Sweden for several years.  He immediately identified me as Swedish, even though it's just my mom's side and I was born and raised in California.  He described the cultural differences by stating that if some random person walked into a store and sat down in Sweden, Swedes would give that person space and not talk to them to avoid bothering them, whereas Israelis and other Mediterranean folk would ask what was going on, what their story was, if they could help, etc.  Both situations involve people trying to be good people, just with very different approaches. 

32 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Limited education and limited contact with his spouse. maybe this was the PUBLIC note he put out and gave her a more personal one? Nah, but he could have, no he couldn't have but normal men can and do. My husband gave me a super super sweet card he found, he said it took him 3 days of shopping, and if you knew him and see the internal rage he has when I ask him to run the block to Fareway to get a dozen eggs you would know what that took for him with as much as he HATES shopping.  He gave me a gift and a small note  publicly but didn't give me this card until we were alone, because it was for me alone. 

Are they even allowed private notes before marriage? Sincerely. Remember Jill and derick had a friggin chaperone while they did devotionals on their wedding day!! I can't believe a 19 year old just made a decision that will determine her entire life without limited knowledge educationally and socially. It's sad.

30 minutes ago, GeoBQn said:

This may be the best comment I've ever read on here

14 hours ago, karen77 said:

Finally caught up!

Here' s my bucket list vacay that hubby and I are planning in about 5 years (when youngest is 9 and can be left with Nana for 3 weeks without us)

Khumbu valley trek to Everest Base Camp!! 

We honeymooned in France and Italy, and I SOOOO want to go back, just not with a 4 year old.

Just a warning - 25 years ago, when I was a lot slimmer and pretty fit, I trekked the Anapurna Sanctuary. I had mega insurance, which covered me for helicopter evacuation. By the end of day three, when we saw the up and down valley we were to cross the next day, I spent the night planning how to break my ankle, and my friends plotted how to break it for me - so they could be evacuated too!

(We did complete the trip, but that day - in rain,and our waterproofs weren't permeable, so we were as wet inside as out - was hell on wheels! But the tea house that night was run by ghurkas and magnificent....)

Nepal is fantastic.

On June 10, 2017 at 3:34 PM, ItsMeY'all said:

Reminds me of when work associates were visiting from Switzerland and Germany. We were living in DFW (Texas). At dinner on Thursday night several of our visitors were all excited to drive down and see The Alamo over the weekend. The following Monday night I asked how their excursion went and found out they didn't end up going because it was "Way too far! Over 400km/250 miles away!" Here I'd told them it wasn't a bad drive being only about 3.5 hours not realizing how far this was to them. They were all raised in cities, many of them London. We are all country folks.

I probably told this story on here before but when I was 19 I did a summer program in Germany for 8 weeks (I'm from the US).  We had our weekends free and some of us went to Norway for a long weekend.  The Europeans thought we were all nuts.  It was an overnight train to Oslo, spend a day in Oslo, overnight train to Bergen, spend a day in Bergen, and then I don't quite remember but probably something like 24 hours back to Gottingen (1 hour south of Hanover).  The Europeans were all like, "you guys went to NORWAY??? For the WEEKEND???"  Lol.  Um, yeah, it's kind of like driving to LA for a long weekend from the Bay Area, which you don't want to do all of the time but will do occasionally...

19 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

So basically, what I *want* is a "filter coffee" - which may or may not exist in Australia. (ASSuming you're in Australia, based on your user name.) I just want a cup of coffee - it's a drink made by running hot water over ground-up coffee beans. And then I add milk (generally whole milk - not skimmed or semi-skimmed). For Americans:  semi-skimmed is 2%.

Grande is a size at Starbucks. They have Tall, Grande, and Venti (small, medium, and large). 

So generally, I give up and order a latte, which I really don't like - but it's the closest thing to a cup of coffee with cream (milk) in it.

(Speaking here as an American married to an Australian and I've visited there a bunch) - 

I think the 'long black' might be the closest thing in an Aussie coffee shop to typical American normal coffee aka filter or drip coffee.  You can get the other stuff here (espresso drinks) too, although the 'flat white' wasn't a thing here until quite recently (I think a latte is probably the closest, although latte has more milk than a flat white).  BTW none of our Aussie relatives own a normal drip coffee maker... they drink instant usually at home, or use a french press which they think is all fancy but I think just makes gritty coffee.  

1 hour ago, GeoBQn said:

Nah, there will be plenty of options left because TLC cba with the boys. They'll have much less fuss over their weddings unless they can shove in a new engagement/pregnancy and they'll probably not get off the North American continent for honeymoon.

30 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

they drink instant

I'm a convert to instant after my travels to the UK. But I do not let the electric kettle boil before making my coffee. I stop it, pour the water into my cup, then restart it for Mr.Slytherin's tea. I learned the hard way that British coffee is served boiling - literally.

19 hours ago, Palindrome said:

Why the Bible verse with every photo? Cool your boots, Austin. Agree with @marmalade – sanctimonious is the right word. I wouldn't want to be sat at the dinner table with him, that's for sure. 

I would love to be seated next to any of them. We could have a nice conversation about Jesus and co and I can tell them all about my heathen ways. They probably wouldn't love it as much though ... :giggle:

13 hours ago, Iokaste said:

I find it super exhausting travelling in southern Europe, the US and other places where small talk and chit-chat to complete strangers is seen as friendly and appropriate behaviour.

Me too. I'm sure I seem really rude to a lot of people. But I'm not. I'm just Swedish. 

I once had a friend from the US come to Sweden to visit me since she was so close. She was in Italy. I did find that a bit funny. But I guess once you're over the pond you feel like you're close. I do the same when we visit Mr Ways family in Australia. Think that I'm close to New Zealand and want to go there and visit my friends. It's not close at all though. It's a 7 hour flight that costs lots of money. (NZ is always worth it though. Probably the best country in the world. Don't tell Mr Way I said that.)

We drove across Australia a couple of years ago and went to the centre. One night we camped by a creak and then we spent all of the next day driving and stayed at a farm. The farmer told us our camping spot was also on his land. They have some pretty huge farms there. When we were there they were gathering up the cows. They used a helicopter to spot them. 

I love travelling and feel very greatful that we have had the money and the time to do quite a lot of it. In Sweden you have a right to four continuous weeks of paid vacation though so we're a bit spoiled with that. You're actually paid a bit more during vacation then when you're at work. That's what I miss most about being employed. On the other side my new boss (me) lets me do whatever I want pretty much all the time and is very generous with the company money. :pb_lol:

I'd love to go to South America and to Africa (been to the continent but havn't really seen anything). I've only spent four days in the US on a stop over. But I did have time to visit a friend, see a basketball game, be filmed for tv and go to Disneyland. So a pretty good stop. Lots left to see though so it would be good to go back some day. My next dream destination is Japan. We're saving for that now. 

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

Um, yeah, it's kind of like driving to LA for a long weekend from the Bay Area, which you don't want to do all of the time but will do occasionally...

LOL- for 3 years, My hub's worked in LA, where we were renting a home,  we had a home in Santa Cruz ,and I worked in Sacramento...we were transferred like 4 times in 5 years time. It was horrible, anyhow, I used to drive weekly between the 3 areas. I had a triangle- LA to Santa Cruz to Sacramento, to Santa Cruz to LA. *Shrugs*. I managed.

1 hour ago, sawasdee said:

Nepal is fantastic.

I"m expecting it to be hell, but I still want to go!! :)  I plan on going the expensive route and going with a full trekking expedition company. 

@karen77 We woke up the next day to crystal clear weather, and the most breathtaking views of the Himalayas - one of the most memorable experiences of my life - and worth every sodding footstep!

You'll love it!

Mount Everest is the second least favorite place I'd like to visit. The first one is space. Sometimes I hate-watch documentaries about people hiking up there and it looks like absolute torture. I am just not a mountain person, they scare me. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived