IGNORED

Blackjack Bateses! - Bates 21

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

Could it have been Chad and Erin? In my head that's what I thought but I could and probably am totally wrong.

From what I remember with them, they met at a Valentines Banquet hosted by Got-hard's crew and Erin thought it was love at first sight.

1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

Could it have been Chad and Erin? In my head that's what I thought but I could and probably am totally wrong.

Chad and Erin had multiple opportunities to meet through IBLP.  Or Gothardite weddings.

I mean, it is not as though their respective Daddies are not both hand in glove on the IBLP Board of Directors.  And their Daddies are both up to their respective dirty little necks in the sexual abuse cover-up lawsuit.

It is not as though Chad and Erin weren't both documented frequent flyers (and leaders) in JTTH.  

I believe their "official story" is that they met at Oak Brook HQ while conveying JTTH  koolaid to other victims.

15 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

I just looked at a video on up tv's website from the first season of bub where they introduce the Bates. John said they met at a wedding but Alyssa doesn't remember about it. the families became friends and then she went help campaign for his dad.  She became interested then, but John had been attracted to her since the wedding

For real? She was so young when they married (He's older, yes?) She must have been a teenager when he met her and he's attracted to her? Maybe I'm making too big a deal over the age difference? Shudders. It creeps me out. 

13 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Chad and Erin had multiple opportunities to meet through IBLP.  Or Gothardite weddings.

I mean, it is not as though their respective Daddies are not both hand in glove on the IBLP Board of Directors.  And their Daddies are both up to their respective dirty little necks in the sexual abuse cover-up lawsuit.

It is not as though Chad and Erin weren't both documented frequent flyers (and leaders) in JTTH.  

I believe their "official story" is that they met at Oak Brook HQ while conveying JTTH  koolaid to other victims.

Didn't he get his parents to invite her parents and family over because she was so *sweet* .  I hate how they use that word. I don't mind it used on occasion but its so demeaning the way Chad says it. 

45 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

For real? She was so young when they married (He's older, yes?) She must have been a teenager when he met her and he's attracted to her? Maybe I'm making too big a deal over the age difference? Shudders. It creeps me out. 

I think she was probably 16 or 17 and he was like 22 which is like the same difference as Josie and Kelton. John did say in the vid that he thought Alyssa was older

I personally believe the Bates and most of their in-laws have known each other for a long time, well before anybody developed a crush. There is evidence of this on the old blog (mentions and pictures). Perhaps the couples didn't develop feelings for each other until much later. Kind of like Joy Duggar and Austin Forsyth.

Is it clear what work Alyssa is doing outside the house? She shills stuff on Instagram, but that wouldn't count, I don't think (I'm guessing she gets free product instead of cash, and it's an at-home job.) She worked at a florist's before marriage: is she doing that again? Is this working in John's cleaning business, or is it something else entirely?

Whatever it is, I'm glad to see she's being industrious and getting out, and hopefully making more and more connections outside her family.

1 minute ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Is it clear what work Alyssa is doing outside the house? She shills stuff on Instagram, but that wouldn't count, I don't think (I'm guessing she gets free product instead of cash, and it's an at-home job.) She worked at a florist's before marriage: is she doing that again? Is this working in John's cleaning business, or is it something else entirely?

Whatever it is, I'm glad to see she's being industrious and getting out, and hopefully making more and more connections outside her family.

She and John run a cleaning service. John also works at his family's heating/air conditioning repair service. 

https://www.instagram.com/jonnyonthespotcleaning/

2 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I think it's a good thing.   I suspect the florist job she held before had her meeting and dealing with all kinds of people Maybe her industriousness is not only helping to bring in income but perhaps she has discovered that she likes getting out and interacting with other people.   

On 8/22/2017 at 1:20 AM, JesusCampSongs said:

or who only support "side b" gayness, which is super fucked up and destructive.

What's 'side B' gayness, in this context?

3 hours ago, seraaa said:

It means that being gay in and of itself is okay, but you can't act on it. So gay Christians are "accepted" but expected to remain celibate.

3 hours ago, seraaa said:

It's a way for more mainstream conservatives and evangelical churches to pretend that they aren't homophobic while still treating their LGBT members like second-class citizens. 

As @singsingsingsaid, these churches do not believe that being LGBT is a choice. This allows them to conveniently distance themselves from more aggressively anti-gay Christians who support conversion therapy, work camps, and sodomy laws and ostensibly welcome LGBT people who are interested in joining their congregations. 

The flipside, of course, is that they still think that having gay sex or being in LGBT relationships is sinful, so LGBT members of their churches are expected to be single, celibate, and childless for life and devote themselves to serving the church. Compared to some alternatives, it sounds pretty nice on paper, but in reality, it's separate-but-equal window dressing that is still pretty emotionally damaging to LGBT church members. While there's nothing wrong with being single, celibate, childfree, or whatever combination thereof and devoting one's free time to service to one's church, it's pretty fucked up for churches to demand that life (and labor) of LGBT members but not cishet members. Just because they're no longer advocating for putting LGBT people in jail, attempting to electrocute them into straightness, or anything in the vein, doesn't magically make them not-homophobic. 

So I'm not about to hand out cookies and head-pats to Christians who think that not killing LGBT people anymore makes them accepting. 

That's horrifying :S  I have heard of "celibate gay" before, but can honestly say I've never been to a church myself, that pretended to be LGBTQ+ friendly - but once you're in the door, treated people like that.  I'm very sorry that such a place would exist in this religion :/

Can I suggest the only kind of cookies you feed them, should be ones shaped like dicks? :my_biggrin:. The patriarchal Christians seem to be so focused on dicks anyway . . . Might as well have them chew on some.  Just sayinnnggg.

^ this isn't very Christian of me, I know.  Sorry (*whispers* not sorry).

Plus, in evangelical denominations where everything revolves around family fun!!! couples' retreats!!! weddings and baptisms!!! being saddled with compulsory celibacy is completely isolating.

7 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

I think she was probably 16 or 17 and he was like 22 which is like the same difference as Josie and Kelton. John did say in the vid that he thought Alyssa was older

What is up with all these grown-ass ATI guys in their twenties wanting to "get to know" teenage girls though?? (See also: JoeKen and Joystin)

1 minute ago, nickelodeon said:

What is up with all these grown-ass ATI guys in their twenties wanting to "get to know" teenage girls though?? (See also: JoeKen and Joystin)

Probably has something to do with the fact that they don't have the same concept of life phases as the rest of society. Being a teenager isn't really a thing, you're a kid and then you're a young lady or young man in training, and then you're a young lady or young man, and that's it. A lot of them graduate from homeschool at 16 or 17, and even then, education isn't a big priority and the grade school - middle school - high school structure isn't there. They don't have homecomings and proms and so on as rites of passage. Young marriage is prized and delaying marriage is viewed with suspicion. They don't seem to mature much beyond their teen years, anyway - let's face it, a fundie girl of 17 and a fundie woman of 23 probably aren't much different in terms of maturity, all else being equal. It used to be completely normal for a guy in his 20s to 'court' a woman in her late teens, and we know how much fundies love 'the good old days'.

39 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

and we know how much fundies love 'the good old days'.

In all fairness, after a couple of major fuck-ups (think eldest son) the Bateses backed off a bit on the courtship crap.

On the other hand - there are people even more fucked up than the Gothardite Batessessess.

If you are shocked by the Bateseseses and Duggars - they are just the tip of a very ugly iceberg.

Hard to believe - check these out.  Here's Vaughn Ohlman, for a start:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/2016/05/vaughn-ohlman-seeks-another-location-for-underage-marriage-retreat/

And Maranatha Chapman

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2013/12/the-rest-of-the-maranatha-story.html

And we have covered these travesties on FJ.

Thanks, @singsingsing and @JesusCampSongs

1 hour ago, JesusCampSongs said:

While there's nothing wrong with being single, celibate, childfree, or whatever combination thereof and devoting one's free time to service to one's church, it's pretty fucked up for churches to demand that life (and labor) of LGBT members but not cishet members.

Yes, therein lies the injustice

Any internationals that have found places to view the episodes? Vudu won't log me on, ITunes is crashing, and Amazon doesn't work outsides the states. I need something to play in the background when I'm studying.

Last night's episode... scratching my head. So pointless. A group took the littles to a pool to learn how to swim. Kelly looked nervous and hovering and uncomfortable. Which is weird because i believe there were two trained teachers as well as several older kids helping. Of course everyone was fully geared in fundie-suits. Then, camping and shooting things, oops the equipment was broken, so lets shoot skeet! Only they did it by Zach throwing the skeet into the air. Then, a talk about how they are sometimes unprepared. And fishing. 

43 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Last night's episode... scratching my head. So pointless. A group took the littles to a pool to learn how to swim. Kelly looked nervous and hovering and uncomfortable. Which is weird because i believe there were two trained teachers as well as several older kids helping. Of course everyone was fully geared in fundie-suits. Then, camping and shooting things, oops the equipment was broken, so lets shoot skeet! Only they did it by Zach throwing the skeet into the air. Then, a talk about how they are sometimes unprepared. And fishing. 

I felt like it was another episode to show off Nathan.  Nathan's in the pool.  I think it was supposed to be about the little things, getting back to nature, and male bonding.  I wasn't really sure either. 

Sorry. I know I'm posting a lot today. But it drives me crazy when Gil says "Zach is trying to figure out how to invest in his brothers." Or "Nathan invests in his brothers by teaching them to swim." 

No, what they are doing is parenting your children Gil. You had so many kids that you can't take care of them properly and now they're grown brothers--one of whom has a family of his own that he had to leave to go take care of--and one of whom is a pilot who should be living on his own are fathering your children Gil.  They're not investing. They're taking over because you are not raising them. Its called neglect. 

2 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

No, what they are doing is parenting your children Gil. You had so many kids that you can't take care of them properly and now they're grown brothers--one of whom has a family of his own that he had to leave to go take care of--and one of whom is a pilot who should be living on his own are fathering your children Gil.  They're not investing. They're taking over because you are not raising them. Its called neglect. 

That's exactly what their doing. That's all I could think about while they were telling us how amazing Zach and Nathan were. Great something else the parents didn't do. It really sucks that Gil and Kelly get away with it.

On 8/24/2017 at 5:45 PM, Palimpsest said:

In all fairness, after a couple of major fuck-ups (think eldest son) the Bateses backed off a bit on the courtship crap.

On the other hand - there are people even more fucked up than the Gothardite Batessessess.

If you are shocked by the Bateseseses and Duggars - they are just the tip of a very ugly iceberg.

Hard to believe - check these out.  Here's Vaughn Ohlman, for a start:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/2016/05/vaughn-ohlman-seeks-another-location-for-underage-marriage-retreat/

And Maranatha Chapman

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2013/12/the-rest-of-the-maranatha-story.html

And we have covered these travesties on FJ.

I clicked that Patheos link and I just could not believe what I was reading.  That story was creepy AF.  Maranatha sitting there for like 9 hours a day in a wedding gown with a packed suitcase?  WTF?  How anybody could find that story to be anything but creepy, abusive, sick, and just flat-out weird is beyond me.  And then when you add in her age, it gets even worse. 

17 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

I clicked that Patheos link and I just could not believe what I was reading.  That story was creepy AF.  Maranatha sitting there for like 9 hours a day in a wedding gown with a packed suitcase?  WTF?  How anybody could find that story to be anything but creepy, abusive, sick, and just flat-out weird is beyond me.  And then when you add in her age, it gets even worse. 

Right?! Disgusting how her husband bragged about her being such a good, submissive daughter and thats what trained her to be a submissive wife. It was like he was talking about getting a dog that had been through training.  It was like her father tested her submissiveness throughout the whole story and then "rewarded" her for not thinking for herself by giving her to some older guy. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived