IGNORED

Trump 9: RESIST!

Destiny

[Long pause.] No, Hillary Clinton could not have won this election cycle for a few reasons. One is she could never really escape the fact that, including according to The Washington Post polling, that persistent, nagging majorities of Americans find her to be dishonest and untrustworthy and didn’t particularly like her, either. Two, it’s not clear to me that this woman who has surrounded herself with talented professionals — I’m very fond of Robby Mook, her campaign manager, for example, and I have a cordial relationship with Huma Abedin — had ever surrounded herself with people who would actually tell her no. Or that this isn’t a good idea. Or that this isn’t working. Which every leader needs. The other thing is that the question for Americans was not, Would you vote for a woman? But would you vote for this woman? It wasn’t a hypothetical; it was Hillary.

Nobody that surrounds Trump is telling him no, or "that this isn't a good idea."  They're too busy fawning over him.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Fuck you Conway. FUCK YOU!

I honestly can't decide who I hate more. Her or Trump.

Why choose? Hate both equally.

@Ali, Again, overcompensation! Guess he feels quite…small all of the time.

I just ran into this article and had to share:

https://www.yahoo.com/style/a-tennessee-yarn-store-doesnt-want-womens-march-supporters-as-its-customers-182525469.html

Elizabeth Poe, the owner of the Joy of Knitting in Franklin, Tenn. — located just outside Nashville — is not here for your pink pussy hats.

On Tuesday, Poe posted on the shop’s Facebook page that following this past weekend’s Women’s March on Washington, D.C., she would prefer that participants and supporters of the protest and its efforts not patronize her shop.

“The vulgarity, vile and evilness of this movement is absolutely despicable. That kind of behavior is unacceptable and is not welcomed at The Joy of Knitting. I will never need that kind of business to remain open,” Poe writes. “As the owner of this business and a Christian, I have a duty to my customers and my community to promote values of mutual respect, love, compassion, understanding, and integrity. The women’s movement is counterproductive to unity of family, friends, community, and nation.”

She concludes her note, “I do pray for these women. May God work out His love in their hearts and continue to heal and unite Americans.”

It looks like if you're a crafter around Nashville, this would be a store to avoid. I wonder if she'll see some backlash or if other stores will proclaim with pride that they stood with the women who bought the materials from them to craft their hats.  I wonder if she's now going to ask what the project is when she sells pink yarn.  I do wish that anyone who purchased the materials for their hat from this store would return the completed hat and say that they didn't want to keep materials contaminated by the owner's attitude.

My other thought is, "Seriously? She really doesn't get what the protests are about. P.S. We had several men participating in my city and across the country as well."

32 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Nobody that surrounds Trump is telling him no, or "that this isn't a good idea."  They're too busy clapping for him.

I fixed that for you.

16 minutes ago, Terrie said:

Why choose? Hate both equally.

Since he hates Mexico so much:

Spoiler

She believes in compassion, love and unity? What a load of bullshit. If she believed in love and compassion and unity, she would welcome all customers. But apparently, she can only be bothered to be nice to people who share her so-called "Christian" beliefs. 

The "Christians" who are defending Trump and trashing the Women's March are not even the slightest bit Christlike. It's so fascinating to me how many people who profess to be Christian, love, wonderful people are nothing but hateful bigots. 

4 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Dammit, guess I'm going to have to read Harry Potter one of these days, just so I get all the subtle nuances of these titles

#firstworldproblems #beenlivingunderarock #hermitsunite

Do it!!

4 hours ago, Destiny said:

Do it! It's like reading an allegory for today.@harrypotterfan, DeVos = Umbridge. Discuss.

For the record, I find them horrifyingly similar.

Agreed about the allegory and DeVos. Both DeVos and Umbridge are government drones who have no business in education. They put themselves and their power first, and are part of a corrupt regime. They don't give a shit about the students and whether or not they learn anything. In fact, the less students learn the better. And asking questions is a big no no. I can see DeVos issuing educational proclamations, trying to make rules about what clubs people can join and such.

3 hours ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

Just so you guys know I'm now envisioning Mike Pence and Kellyanne Conway as Kronk and Yzma. 

Kellyanne Asshole, as my dad likes to call her, does have a lot in common with Yzma...

2 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

If Voldemort was Dark Lord, can Trump be Orange Lord? 

I vote yes.

I'm still reading the article, but in the latest news of our facist regime Bannon says the media should keep its mouth shut: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/business/media/stephen-bannon-trump-news-media.html?_r=0&referer=

humorously referred to himself at one point as “Darth Vader.” He said, with ironic relish, that Mr. Trump was elected by a surge of support from “the working class hobbits and deplorables.”

He's mixing up his fandoms, what a wanker. And I'm proud to be a hobbit. And DARTH VADER IS THE BAD GUY!! Bannon is basically Kylo Ren, staring longingly at Vader's burned helmet, wishing Vader was still around to offer sage wisdom.

how the fuck is Bannon a real person?

Teen Vogue has a solution for the White House comment line being shut down:

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/how-to-call-white-house-comment-line-closed

But, while you can call senators’ and representatives’ offices to air your grievances (as long as their voice mailboxes aren’t full, that is), Americans are no longer able to call the White House directly. The comment line (202-456-1111) that used to be open to the public is now “currently closed,” per the automated recording you hear when you call. That message states that, “Your comment is important to the President,” so if you want to share it, you can do so via the White House website or Facebook page. The problem is, sending Facebook messages and emails can sometimes feel like shouting into the void. It’s different than having a two-way conversation with someone about the very serious issues our country is facing (and, by the way, calling is generally more effective).

So, to solve the problem, White House Inc. — created by Revolution Messaging, the same company that worked on Bernie Sanders’ digital presidential campaign — connects you to Trump in a different way: by calling his businesses, the same ones the president isn’t divesting from, despite the fact that it may be illegal and unconstitutional for him to hold on to them. The idea is that, since Trump is still very much intertwined with his businesses, American citizens should be able to share their thoughts and concerns with anyone at any of those businesses and have that message communicated back to the President.

“By not divesting himself from his businesses, he’s actually creating satellite White Houses all over the world,” White House Inc (which was actually created last year to urge Trump to divest from his businesses) notes on its website. “That means we have dozens of phone numbers we can use to reach the president and discuss the issues that matter most. Foreign leaders and Wall Street executives know that if they want to reach out to our President, they can just connect with his business associates. Now the American people have a direct line to Trump too.”

Trump has a lot of businesses, including hotels and golf courses all of the world, but you don’t even have to spend your time googling to find one to call — White House Inc. does the legwork for you. Just enter your phone number and email address on the website, and you’ll receive a call that connects you to a Trump business. “You may be asked to make a reservation or a tee-time, but tell management that until Trump steps away from his businesses for real, their property is no different from the Oval Office and you want to talk about the issues that matter most,” the website states.

Don't break the rules by representing Free Jinger! News and Guts Facebook page has requested people post their experiences n the comments.

Wow, these antiabortion activists are finally calling themselves by an accurate name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/01/26/why-these-activists-dont-like-calling-themselves-pro-life-anymore/?utm_term=.2c441816c31c

Kristan Hawkins has asked many students on college campuses whether they support strict limits on abortion access.

And then when they say yes, she has asked them, “Are you pro-life?”

That’s when she gets a no.

The term “pro-life” — used by abortion opponents to proudly define the value at the heart of their movement for 44 years since Roe v. Wade — is out of favor among many young adults today.

And Hawkins, the president of Students for Life, said that her organization is turning instead to a term that the media has long used to describe these activists, usually over the activists’ objections: “antiabortion.”

“We’re against abortion. I think it’s much simpler. It gets across what we’re about in a faster way,” said Hawkins, 31. “It’s already a bad thing. To say you’re against it is okay. I am antismoking. I’m anti-sex trafficking. I’m anti-drunk driving. And yes, I’m antiabortion.”

I don't think they realize that they are being as honest as they are, but this antiabortion activists are just that- anti-abortion. They aren't pro life. They aren't pro education. They aren't pro healthcare. They aren't pro sex education or pro- make it easier to obtain birth control. I doubt they'd be for anything that makes the life of a working mother or a single mother any better. I would also bet that many don't care about the lead in the water in Flint, Michigan, or other environmental concerns that can lead to birth defects or infant or child mortality. Now, they need to clarify their point further- they're pro birth, even if that means no prenatal healthcare or no medically assisted delivery. (I'm waiting for a conservative hospital to say giving birth isn't a life threatening emergency and won't help anyone without insurance who comes to their emergency room when in labor because women have been giving birth, unassisted by hospitals, for generations.)

Teen Vogue will lead us out of the darkness

I just remembered that Cheney already has the honorary title of Darth Vader, so Bannon will just have to go cry in a corner because his hopes and dreams have been taken from him. 

44 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

@Ali, Again, overcompensation! Guess he feels quite…small all of the time.

I just ran into this article and had to share:

https://www.yahoo.com/style/a-tennessee-yarn-store-doesnt-want-womens-march-supporters-as-its-customers-182525469.html

It looks like if you're a crafter around Nashville, this would be a store to avoid. I wonder if she'll see some backlash or if other stores will proclaim with pride that they stood with the women who bought the materials from them to craft their hats.  I wonder if she's now going to ask what the project is when she sells pink yarn.  I do wish that anyone who purchased the materials for their hat from this store would return the completed hat and say that they didn't want to keep materials contaminated by the owner's attitude.

My other thought is, "Seriously? She really doesn't get what the protests are about. P.S. We had several men participating in my city and across the country as well."

I just went to her Facebook page and tons of people are leaving comments reminding her that if not for the members of the women's movement that she's railing against, she wouldn't even have the ability to own a business. 

I'm so sick of the hypocritical women who insult feminists while working, voting, using birth control, and taking advantage of all the other things that the feminist movement gave them. It's galling. If they truly don't believe in feminism then they need to put their money where their mouth is and stop working, voting, getting divorced, using birth control, etc. 

I'm on a roll today. Here's an article about Senate Democrats supporting Trump nominees.

http://theweek.com/articles/675627/why-are-senate-democrats-rolling-over-trump

Senate Democrats are acting like a bunch of spineless jellyfish.

Several of President Trump's Cabinet nominees — James Mattis for defense, John Kelly for homeland security, Mike Pompeo for CIA director, and Nikki Haley for ambassador to the United Nations — have been confirmed. And after the most hawkish members of the Senate Republican caucus — John McCain, Lindsey Graham, and Marco Rubio — overcame their initial skepticism to offer support for Rex Tillerson as secretary of state, it seems all but certain that basically all of Trump's controversial nominees are going to be confirmed sooner rather than later.

Incredibly, Democrats — despite having no obligation to do so — are actually voting for these people. The only Democratic holdout across the first three confirmations, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, voted for Haley; the South Carolina Republican sailed through 96-4. Previously, Gillibrand had been the only senator to vote against Mattis; she and 10 other Democrats voted against Kelly; and Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul joined dozens of Democrats to oppose Pompeo.

That might sound like solid opposition, at least in Pompeo's case, but 14 Democratic senators still backed him. Those who voted for Pompeo crossed ideological lines; conservative West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, up for re-election in 2018 in a state that went heavily for Trump, supported Pompeo; so did liberal California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who tried for two years to get the CIA to declassify the complete torture report, and was called "narcissistic" by Pompeo for her efforts. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and 2016 vice presidential candidate Tim Kaine also voted for Pompeo.

I can see the problem with Democratic Senators in states that went for the Groper in Chief. As much as I dislike their votes, I admit these Democrats need to be strategic. They need to do some things their constituents agree with, as the role of a Congressperson is to express the voice of their constituents. In order to bring about change, you must have a place at the table. If these Senators oppose everything the Republicans want, I can see more states electing Republican senators, which would skew the Senate even more Republican. More Democrats than Republicans will be up for election in two years. It's not just about saving their job for some, it's about keeping Democratic representation in the Senate, and having leadership and experience in place when more are voted in. 

I don't have as much sympathy for Senators in strongly reliable Blue states. They have much less to lose by voting against these nominees. 

The suggestions for the thread titles made me smile, and I really needed that today--thank you.

Although it's late to the party, my submission:

Orange is the New Wack

1 hour ago, RoseWilder said:

I just went to her Facebook page and tons of people are leaving comments reminding her that if not for the members of the women's movement that she's railing against, she wouldn't even have the ability to own a business. 

I'm so sick of the hypocritical women who insult feminists while working, voting, using birth control, and taking advantage of all the other things that the feminist movement gave them. It's galling. If they truly don't believe in feminism then they need to put their money where their mouth is and stop working, voting, getting divorced, using birth control, etc. 

Their FB page has over 11K reviews, with a rating of 1.4 out of 5.

My Thread Titles:

What fresh hell is this?

Don't you feel like a dumbass for saving for retirement all these years?

Saw this on Twitter from one of Trump's fans:

C3IgDDaWYAQnQQx.jpg

I thought for a second about asking why the pictures of the new royal family didn't include Melania, but then decided it was pointless to engage with him. 

Is anybody else going to be at the Q&A with Dr. Stroop tonight? *points up to the top of the page where @Curious announced it*

Anyway, good to see all of you. :-) 

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Teen Vogue will lead us out of the darkness

I just remembered that Cheney already has the honorary title of Darth Vader, so Bannon will just have to go cry in a corner because his hopes and dreams have been taken from him. 

Okay, so if Bannon wants to be Darth Vader, is Emperor Cheeto going to electrocute him like in Return of the Jedi? I don't like violence, but I can't deny that would be something to see.

For those who are interested, The WaPo did a great annotated transcript of Agent Orange's ABC interview. Scary crap: "Donald Trump’s stunning first major interview as president, annotated" The notes are great. Sorry, I can't quote them here.

This is also a good article: "Donald Trump’s definition of ‘voter fraud’ appears to include his own daughter and top adviser". I agree with others here that simply being registered in two places isn't fraud, but Herr Trumplethinskin says it is. Priceless that Tiffany is one of those "frauds".

President Trump says he will launch an investigation into his baseless claims of widespread voter fraud. But one of the potential areas he highlighted for probing — voters who are registered in two different states — appears as though it would snag his own top adviser.

Trump tweeted Wednesday morning that his "major investigation into VOTER FRAUD" would be "including those registered to vote in two states."

One of those people, as it happens, is apparently Stephen K. Bannon, Trump's chief White House strategist.

The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported Tuesday evening that Bannon was registered to vote in both Florida and New York. The Post's Matea Gold, meanwhile, reports he attempted to de-register in Florida, but that it was never received or processed:

Bannon registered to vote in New York on Oct. 14, 2016, and cast an absentee ballot there, according to New York City elections officials. At the time, he was serving as chief executive of now-President Trump's campaign. But he was also registered in Sarasota County, Fla., where he had been on the voter rolls since Aug. 25, officials said.

White House officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

On the day before the Nov. 8 election, Bannon sent a letter to then-Sarasota County Elections Supervisor Kathy Dent, informing her that he had moved to New York and requesting that he be removed from the rolls, according to a person familiar with the letter who shared details about it with The Washington Post.

Since the letter was sent Nov. 7, it is unlikely it would have arrived before Election Day. However, on Wednesday, Sarasota elections officials said they still had no record of receiving it. "None of us recall getting it," said the current elections supervisor, Ron Turner, who took office in January after previously serving as the agency's chief of staff.

Even if it was merely an honest mistake or paperwork glitch, it's an example of how two of the three things Trump says he wants investigated for "VOTER FRAUD" — dual registrants and "those registered to vote who are dead" — simply don't constitute fraud. These things happen quite a bit, almost always for non-nefarious reasons, and they aren't actually proof of the 3 million to 5 million illegal votes that Trump has baselessly claimed were cast in the 2016 election.

Those alleging voter fraud have long pointed to people still being registered to vote after they die and to those registered in two states as proof that voter fraud exists or is possible, as White House press secretary Sean Spicer did Tuesday while being pressed for proof of Trump's claims.

Spicer mentioned a 2012 Pew study that estimated that as much as 13 percent of national voter registrations were inaccurate or invalid. But an author of that same study emphasized after Spicer's briefing that this was simply faulty registrations — not voter fraud.

And Bannon's problem is actually quite common, as the Pew study notes:

This study found that almost 2.7 million people appear to be registered in two states, and more than 70,000 people could be registered in three or more. In all, more than 2.75 million people appear to have multiple registrations.

As is dead people being registered to vote:

More than 1.8 million records for people who are no longer living, but have registrations on voter rolls.

But these are registrations, not actual votes. And there are very, very few proven instances of dead people voting or people voting in two states — and certainly not even close to being on the scale of millions in one election.

Let's assume Trump does launch this investigation — which remains an open question given that the Justice Department isn't commenting and Republican congressional leaders view this as a useless distraction. If and when there is no evidence of the millions of illegal votes Trump has alleged, he and fellow voter fraud crusaders may again point to these dual registrants and registered dead voters as proof of voter fraud.

But now, if Trump does that, he'll basically be accusing his own chief adviser of fraud — which is just about a perfect microcosm of this whole wild goose chase.

57 minutes ago, AuntK said:

Samantha Bee is terrific! This is a must watch! (I had no idea Pence called his wife, "Mother!"   EWWWW!!!!)

https://youtu.be/8pEcvteQo9g

Not unusual in my part of the world for older men with grown kids to call their wife Mother.  My neighbor (retired, late 60s) does it all the time when referring to his wife. 

"The leaks coming out of the Trump White House cast the president as a clueless child"

Spoiler

All White Houses leak. Sometimes the leaks are big, sometimes small. But there are always people willing to talk to reporters about the “real” story or about why the chief executive made a mistake in regards to some decision he made.

That said, I've never seen so much leaking so quickly — and with such disdain for the president — as I have in the first six days of Donald Trump's presidency.

Two recent examples:

1. This from the New York Times today on Trump's impulsiveness:

Mr. Trump’s advisers say that his frenzied if admittedly impulsive approach appeals to voters because it shows that he is a man of action. Those complaining about his fixation with fictional voter fraud or crowd counts at his inauguration, in their view, are simply seeking ways to undercut his legitimacy.

Yet some of his own advisers also privately worry about his penchant for picking unnecessary fights and drifting off message. They talk about taking away his telephone or canceling his Twitter account, only to be dismissed by a president intent on keeping his own outlets to the world.

2. This from WaPo on Trump's inauguration crowd estimates:

Trump’s advisers suggested that he could push back in a simple tweet. Thomas J. Barrack Jr., a Trump confidant and the chairman of the Presidential Inaugural Committee, offered to deliver a statement addressing the crowd size.

But Trump was adamant, aides said. Over the objections of his aides and advisers — who urged him to focus on policy and the broader goals of his presidency — the new president issued a decree: He wanted a fiery public response, and he wanted it to come from his press secretary.

Time and again, the image of Trump pushed by his “aides” is one of a clueless child — someone who acts on impulse, disregarding the better advice of people who know better. We know he needs to be managed or else he will say and do stupid things, the message seems to be. We're working on it.

And what we know about Trump from his presidential campaign is that some of his top staffers — most notably Kellyanne Conway — often communicated to the boss via the media. What that strategy suggests is that Trump is influenced at least as much — and, in truth, likely more — by reading the sniping of his aides on background (meaning without their names attached) in the news than he is by private conversations. That the best way to reach him, change his mind or otherwise bend his ear is through a public airing of grievances.

Trump has shown that his tendency to obsessively consume media — especially cable television — is unchanged in the six days since he has become president. He appears to be making policy decisions via things he watches or reads. (Remember Trump's famous/infamous statement that he got his military information and advice “mostly from the shows.”)

At odds with all of this, however, is the fact that Trump is both deeply proud and hugely image-conscious. Having to read and watch allegedly loyal “aides” casting him as a sort of feckless child constantly in need of guidance wouldn't seem to be the sort of thing that would sit well with him.

Tim Miller, a former spokesman for Jeb(!) Bush's presidential campaign and a frequent Trump critic, summed that sentiment up nicely: (the Tweet is in the article, and reads: "Trump doesn't seem like the type who will enjoy his advisers talking about him like he's a child to the New York Times for long." )

It doesn't take much imagination to conjure up an image of an irate Trump surrounded by the various clips of his aides driving the perception that he badly needs to be managed at every moment. If Trump's entire #brand is centered on being the best/classiest/smartest, these sort of leaks fundamentally undermine that image. And we're only six days into his presidency!

The frequency — and nature — of these leaks are yet another reminder that the Trump presidency is nothing like anything that's come before it. There is no blueprint. We're through the looking glass.

But my educated guess is that these leaks must be driving Trump absolutely crazy. And when he gets mad, history suggests he will try to get even. And quickly.

He really is a petulant child.

Another good one: "Trump pressured Park Service to find proof for his claims about inauguration crowd"

Spoiler

On the morning after Donald Trump’s inauguration, acting National Park Service director Michael T. Reynolds received an extraordinary summons: The new president wanted to talk to him.

In a Saturday phone call, Trump personally ordered Reynolds to produce additional photographs of the previous day’s crowds on the Mall, according to three individuals who have knowledge of the conversation. The president believed that the photos might prove that the media had lied in reporting that attendance had been no better than average.

Trump also expressed anger over a retweet sent from the agency’s account, in which side-by-side photographs showed far fewer people at his swearing-in than had shown up to see Barack Obama’s inauguration in 2009.

According to one account, Reynolds had been contacted by the White House and given a phone number to call. When he dialed it, he was told to hold for the president.

For Trump, who sees himself and his achievements in superlative terms, the inauguration’s crowd size has been a source of grievance that he appears unable to put behind him. It is a measure of his fixation on the issue that he would devote part of his first morning in office to it — and that he would take out his frustrations on an acting Park Service director.

Word rapidly spread through the agency and Washington. The individuals who informed The Washington Post about the call did so on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the conversation.

Neither Reynolds nor the Park Service would talk about it.

“The National Park Service does not comment on internal conversations among administration officials,” agency spokesman Thomas Crosson said.

White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the call simply demonstrated that Trump’s management style is to be “so accessible, and constantly in touch.”

“He’s not somebody who sits around and waits. He takes action and gets things done,” Sanders said. “That’s one of the reasons that he is president today, and Hillary Clinton isn’t.”

On Saturday, the same day Trump spoke with Reynolds, the new president used an appearance at CIA headquarters to deliver a blistering attack on the media for reporting that large swaths of the Mall were nearly empty during the event.

“It’s a lie,” Trump said. “We caught [the media]. We caught them in a beauty.”“It looked like a million, a million and a half people,” Trump said, vastly inflating what the available evidence suggested.

Later that day, White House press secretary Sean Spicer reiterated Trump’s complaints about media coverage of the crowd in a tongue-lashing from the lectern of the briefing room.

“These attempts to lessen the enthusiasm of the inauguration are shameful and wrong,” Spicer said.

The Park Service does not release crowd estimates. Experts, however, have estimated that the 2017 turnout was no more than a third the size of Obama’s eight years earlier.

Reynolds was taken aback by Trump’s request, but he did secure some additional aerial photographs and forwarded them to the White House through normal channels in the Interior Department, the people who notified The Post said. The photos, however, did not prove Trump’s contention that the crowd size was upward of 1 million.

Reynolds, who had served as the Park Service’s deputy director of operations for six months before assuming the post of acting director, is a third-generation employee who has worked there for more than 30 years. As deputy director, he oversaw the Park Service’s $2.8 billion budget and more than 22,000 employees.

In the days since Trump’s election, the Park Service has become an unlikely protagonist in a battle between the new president and some career government employees.

The trouble began late Friday, when the agency’s official Twitter account retweeted two messages that could be perceived as critical of the new administration: the one comparing the relative crowd size for Trump’s inauguration to that of Obama’s 2009 swearing-in, and another that noted policy pages that had been removed from the White House’s website.

That prompted an “urgent directive” to Interior employees that they “shut down Twitter platforms immediately until further notice,” which was lifted early Saturday morning. Crosson then apologized on Twitter for “mistaken RTs from our account.”

On Tuesday, the Badlands National Park’s Twitter account became a social-media sensation when it posted four tweets in a row about rising atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations and the threats posed by climate change.

Those tweets were then deleted. An NPS official later explained that Badlands NPS officials learned they were posted by a former employee who still had access to the account, and decided to remove them.

Sigh. 'nuff said.

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

My Thread Titles:

What fresh hell is this?

C3IgDDaWYAQnQQx.jpg

I thought for a second about asking why the pictures of the new royal family didn't include Melania, but then decided it was pointless to engage with him. 

Is anybody else going to be at the Q&A with Dr. Stroop tonight? *points up to the top of the page where @Curious announced it*

I have a very weird obsession with all things royalty of any European house/country/time period - my favorite is reading about the demise of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. The French had the right idea on how to dispose their tyrants, straight to the guillotine!

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

My Thread Titles:

What fresh hell is this?

C3IgDDaWYAQnQQx.jpg

For some reason I thought of this right away when I saw that...

borgias.jpg

I guess Trumplethinskin needs to look at his family and inner circle for all their "voter fraud": "It turns out Jared Kushner and Sean Spicer are also registered to vote in two states"

Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and one of his closest White House advisers, is registered to vote in both New Jersey and New York, while White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer is on the rolls both in Virginia and his home state of Rhode Island, according to elections officials and voting registration records.

Their dual registrations offer two more high-profile examples of how common it is for voters to be on the rolls in multiple states -- something Trump has claimed is evidence of voter fraud.

With Kushner and Spicer, The Washington Post has now identified five Trump family members or top administration appointees who were registered in two states during the fall election. The others are chief White House strategist Stephen K. Bannon; Tiffany Trump, the president's youngest daughter; and Treasury Secretary nominee Steven Mnuchin, as first reported by CNN.

White House officials did not respond to requests for comment.

Trump said this week that the fact that many voters are registered in two states is a sign of widespread voter fraud, calling for a “major investigation” into his unsubstantiated claim that millions of people cast illegal ballots in November.

“You have people that are registered who are dead, who are illegals, who are in two states,” the president told ABC's David Muir on Wednesday. “You have people registered in two states. They're registered in a New York and a New Jersey. They vote twice. There are millions of votes, in my opinion.”

It is not illegal to be registered to vote in two states, and elections officials say that does not mean voters are casting ballots in two locations. In fact, it is quite common for out-of-date registrations to linger on the rolls, due to voters dying or moving to new jurisdictions. A 2012 Pew Center on the States study that Trump has erroneously cited as evidence of voter fraud found that about 2.75 million people were registered in more than one state — largely because voters did not report when they moved to new jurisdictions.

“It's not fraud,” said John Lindback, executive director of the Electronic Registration Information Center (ERIC), a nonprofit organization that works with states to improve the accuracy of their voting rolls. “When people move from one state to another or move down the street, they don’t think to change their voter registration.”

That appears to be what happened in the case of Kushner, who married Trump's daughter Ivanka in October 2009. New Jersey voting records show that he registered to vote there in 1999 and cast ballots in New Jersey through the November 2009 state general election, when now-Gov. Chris Christie (R) was on the ballot for his first race.

Later that month, Kushner registered in New York at his Park Avenue address. Voting records show he began casting ballots in New York in 2010.

Representatives for Kushner did not respond to requests for comment.

Spicer last voted in Rhode Island in 1998, according to state records, which means his registration should have been declared inactive or removed by now. But the Rhode Island Board of Elections confirmed to the Post that he is still listed as having an active voter registration. Since September 1999, Spicer has also been registered to vote in Alexandria, Va., according to elections officials there.

In the case of Bannon, he was registered until this week in both New York and Florida, despite his efforts to remove himself from the rolls in the latter. Mnuchin is registered in both New York, where he last voted in 2008, and in California, where he cast his ballot in November, election records show. And Tiffany Trump, the president's daughter, is registered in New York and Pennsylvania, where she was attending college until May.

On Thursday, White House senior adviser Kellyanne Conway disputed that Tiffany Trump held dual registrations, telling NBC's “Today” that the president's youngest daughter told her “it is flatly false that she is registered in two states.”

But elections officials said voters often do not realize they stay on the rolls after they have moved out of a jurisdiction.

One major reason that out-of-date registrations are not always flagged is that less than half the states participate in ERIC, a cooperative that was created after the 2012 Pew study to help make voter rolls more accurate and comprehensive. Members of the group, which currently includes 20 states and the District of Columbia, are required to share their voter registration data every 60 days. The nonprofit group uses that data — along with information from state motor vehicle departments, the Social Security death index and the U.S. Postal Service's national change of address list — to match and update voter files. In 2016, it identified about 2 million voters who had moved, passed away or had duplicate registrations.

“Before ERIC was formed, it was much worse,” Lindback said. But he noted that some of the most populous states, including California, Florida and New York, do not participate. If more states join,"the number of cases will go way down,” he added.

Lindback, who previously served as Oregon's director of elections, said he is hopeful that Trump's focus on dual registrations could help encourage more states to exchange data. But he said he's concerned that the president's debunked claims that millions of illegal votes were cast in November could “have the effect of reducing confidence in how our elections are run.”

“I just don’t get it,” he added. “I have been in elections a lot of years, and it's usually the loser of an election who claims fraud. I’ve never seen a winner claim fraud. What is going on here?”

Oh, Kellyanne, I guess Tiffany is giving you alternative facts...

I'm at a meeting of local democrats. My introvert soul is hating being surrounded by 75 people I don't know. Send good vibes.

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

I'm at a meeting of local democrats. My introvert soul is hating being surrounded by 75 people I don't know. Send good vibes.

Sending good vibes.  Yeah I totally know the feeling sometimes.  Especially when I'm at parties when I don't quite know what to do. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived