IGNORED

Nirvana's "Nevermind" Released 20 Years Ago Today!

GolightlyGrrl

I like your article. If you have Sirius or XM satellite radio, you must know that they have temporarily converted the alt-rock channel LIthium into Nevermind Radio to celebrate this 20th anniversary of Nevermind's release. I spent my whole day at work today listening to Nirvana demos, live recordings, deep tracks and classics. Tonight at I think 8 pm eastern they have a live broadcast of an interview/fan Q&A session with Grohl and Novoselic. The host is John Stewart. I'll be listening.

Kurt Cobain had a remarkable voice and sensibility. I was a little bit old to be a fan at the time, and a lot too old to still be a fan; but I love how Nevermind kicked the ass of hair bands and the odious late 80's pop sound. I have told my husband that if I predecease him, I want "All Apologies" at my funeral.

I'm so glad you like my post. I'm still reeling "Nevermind" is now 20 years old. It seems only yesterday I discovered Nirvana, and thought, "Yea, this is exactly what I want to be listening too."

Sadly, I missed the XM/Sirius Nirvana stuff. I don't have XM/Sirius. Sad.

And you might enjoy this review I did of the book "Cobain Unseen" by Charles R. Cross.

http://popcorninmybra.blogspot.com/2008 ... an-be.html

That was really wonderful and it makes me want to get the book. I am very affected by artists dying young in general. When it's an artist whose work I really admire, I tend not to get over it. That's how I feel about Kurt Cobain. I appreciate what we had of him, but I feel really sad and cheated that we didn't get more. Yet it's hard to blame a person who's in so much pain for doing what it took to get over that pain.

Sirius and XM are still playing Nevermind Radio. As I took my son to school just now we heard Lounge Act, Lake of Fire and a Cobain home recording of About a Girl. Great stuff.

Archived