IGNORED

Joy and Austin: dating with a purpose .... or something (part 4)

Destiny

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhm..did I miss something on FJ? Apparently they're already engaged?

Ellie and Lily wrote "Duggar wedding #5 coming soon":

"A new season of Counting On starts this summer! And better yet, the network just revealed that it will feature the conversation that Austin Forsyth recently had with Jim Bob Duggar to ask for his blessing to propose to Joy-Anna Duggar. Stay tuned for more details!"

You'd think they meant to court Joy but apparently he already proposed. 

So a June wedding in the making? The next season is in the summer. Perfect timing. 

2 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Uhm..did I miss something on FJ? Apparently they're already engaged?

Ellie and Lily wrote "Duggar wedding #5 coming soon":

"A new season of Counting On starts this summer! And better yet, the network just revealed that it will feature the conversation that Austin Forsyth recently had with Jim Bob Duggar to ask for his blessing to propose to Joy-Anna Duggar. Stay tuned for more details!"

You'd think they meant to court Joy but apparently he already proposed. 

So a June wedding in the making? The next season is in the summer. Perfect timing. 

The end of the episode tonight showed previews for the summer season of CO and it showed Austin asking JB for her hand in marriage (he had to finish renovating / selling 5 houses before he could ask and we also saw them saying he was just finishing house 5)

And clearly the odds of them airing that without her being engaged are about nil, so presumably they're already engaged.

Also, there's been some speculation around FJ that they're getting married in April since that both follows the general engagement to wedding timeline of the sisters, but also a phone call led to the discovery there's a weekend the camp is blocked out for a private family camp, that then was discovered to be actually it blocked out for a wedding in April, so some are guessing that may actually be their wedding.

Personally I could see them making them wait a little longer due to age (more like July - give or take a few weeks either direction) plus it would probably fit better w/ filming for a fall season and also having J/D back for the baby if they pushed it out a little longer, but...that's just my own thoughts timing wise.

A July-ish wedding would let them air it close to ending of the summer season (which will likely, and apparently, cover babies #2, much of J/A's courtship, and early marriage for JinJer) like Jinger's close to when it actually happens - but spend the fall season focusing on the wedding planning (like we just had w/ Jinger)

(Though I absolutely wouldn't be shocked if they do get married at the camp, whenever it happens)

8 minutes ago, elvirajane said:

Next thread names has got to be "Miss Joy-Anna". God. What is it with fundies and the overuse of "Miss"/"Mr" + first name?

I think that's more of a Southern thing. It just so happens that the Bates and Duggars are in the South and we hear them speak more than all the other fundies we snark on. 

3 hours ago, jakesykora said:

A July-ish wedding would let them air it close to ending of the summer season (which will likely, and apparently, cover babies #2, much of J/A's courtship, and early marriage for JinJer) like Jinger's close to when it actually happens - but spend the fall season focusing on the wedding planning (like we just had w/ Jinger)

(Though I absolutely wouldn't be shocked if they do get married at the camp, whenever it happens)

When their courtship was announced, I did a little digging and posted the potential wedding weekends based on the camp's schedule. There were quite a few May/July/August weekends blocked off on the camp schedule for private events where the camp would not be open to the public. This is, of course, assuming the wedding is held at the camp. 

48 minutes ago, WhyNotJulie said:

I figured they got engaged a while ago - likely just before the Forsyths included Joy in the family photo on their website.

I don't think they got engaged until the 1st part of February, I'm guessing that was filed around the same time Henry was born. I don't see her getting married with out Jill here, not sure when the Dullards are coming back but I'm sure the wedding will be planned around that. Jill will probably be back for good in early June, so I can see a June or August wedding Jill with either be HUGELY pregnant or just given birth. If they marry in August Jessa can be preggers again and possibly even Jinger. and Joy can be pregnant by Christmas. :(  

She's just so YOUNG .... When my SIL got engaged, it was to her very first boyfriend in college, at the ages of 19 and 20. I was admittedly concerned. They've since married but still... there's so much out there... 

Damn. If this IS true, she'll be the youngest Duggar kid to get married. It's super similar to Alyssa too. Alyssa has a November birthday and was married in May at 19. Joy has an October birthday and (if it's confirmed) will be married in April. Exactly 6 months after their 19th birthdays. Wonder if Joy would wait until she was 20 to announce a pregnancy like Alyssa did. Because let's face it, if she DOES marry, even in July, I'm betting she'll be pregnant by Christmas. She probably has the fundiest in-laws bar Josh and so there will be pressure from both sides to produce a blessing ASAP.

Jill I'm guessing wanted babies from the off, plus she loves to hog the limelight and likely really wanted to be both the first Duggar daughter to get married and then keep attention on herself by quickly producing a baby.

Jessa probably wanted kids but would've been OK with holding off a little, but knew that she would've been expected to produce a blessing ASAP.

Jinger I'm not so sure about. She's already moved out of state, and while she knows she'll be expected to have a baby fairly soon she has some breathing space and the pressure is likely less intense than if she had remained in Arkansas.

Joy's in-laws are super fundie plus they only have two kids so I'm sure the in-laws will want Joy and Austin to have more kids.

I'm out of country too so I'm waiting on Youtube. 

I've seen the clip of Austin asking for permission to court. Did they just edit together or did JB first say they'd get back to him and then ask about business before giving permission anyway? I know JB likes to make people squirm but Austin seemed the least awkward so far, but also seemed to imply there had been a previous conversation?

Is Michelle getting gradually left out of the "permission to court" process? I thought she was there when Ben asked about Jessa, then with Jill I remember JB saying "I usually discuss this with Michelle". Did he mention Michelle at all when Jeremy asked? He certainly didn't mention her when Austin was asking, though I suppose it could have been edited out or something.

On 2/27/2017 at 5:52 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

Am I the only one who got some major Swan Princess flashbacks?

(Also that movie does not know how to write characters; Odette goes from "I'm a strong independent woman who don't need no man who values only my looks" to "HEY DEREK WEIRD QUESTION HOW INTO BIRD SEX ARE YOU" in the span of approximately one musical number)

I used to watch that movie ALL the time when I was little! Because of that, whenever I hear guys answering the "what do you see in her" question I immediately think of Prince Derek's bumbling answer.

10 hours ago, danni9242 said:

I'm out of country too so I'm waiting on Youtube. 

I've seen the clip of Austin asking for permission to court. Did they just edit together or did JB first say they'd get back to him and then ask about business before giving permission anyway? I know JB likes to make people squirm but Austin seemed the least awkward so far, but also seemed to imply there had been a previous conversation?

I wondered if it was weird editing, too, because JB definitely said he'd get back to Austin about an answer then the next minute he's saying "okay, come up with a plan to ask her".

Did I see that right, at the end of the episode Austin was asking JB for Joy's hand in marriage. This is going way faster than I thought it would and was hoping for Joy that she wouldn't get married as a teen bride, end of this year as the earliest option. But as things look right now they will get married when  she is still 19, maybe even before the summer.

I was hoping JB wouldn't allow his children to get married as teens, as he and Michelle did.

Joy would be the youngest so far. Josh was 20, Jessa 21, Jinger 22, and Jill 23.

3 hours ago, eveandadam said:

Did I see that right, at the end of the episode Austin was asking JB for Joy's hand in marriage. This is going way faster than I thought it would and was hoping for Joy that she wouldn't get married as a teen bride, end of this year as the earliest option. But as things look right now they will get married when  she is still 19, maybe even before the summer.

I was hoping JB wouldn't allow his children to get married as teens, as he and Michelle did.

Joy would be the youngest so far. Josh was 20, Jessa 21, Jinger 22, and Jill 23.

It appears he asked during a trailer for next season. So jury is out on whether they are or aren't engaged yet. Either way, I think an announcement won't come until right before the next season begins.

10 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

It appears he asked during a trailer for next season. So jury is out on whether they are or aren't engaged yet. Either way, I think an announcement won't come until right before the next season begins.

which is when - because then i predict the day before 

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I have a hard time imagining that they would air even a teaser of Austin asking for permission before he actually asked Joy and got her acceptance. After all, showing the world that he'd asked for permission before he let Joy know he was ready to ask would be absurd. Aside from the question of Joy saying yes not being an absolutely sure thing, it would also be weird to tease this and then have JB say no. I mean, where would they go from there? Just keep stringing Austin and Joy (and the audience) along for a season of "Now?" "No." 2 episodes pass while Joy gives THs about how she doesn't know when he's going to actually ask her even though she knows he wants to. "Now?" Not yet." Another couple episodes. "Now?" "Yes, fine, now." Austin finally asks Joy, she gives a happy TH, end of season.

So I can't see how they could not be engaged at this point, though I agree they'll likely hold off on the announcement as long as possible or fiscally beneficial for them. 

There's no way that Joy ISN'T engaged now. The girls have never known when their man has the talk with JB to ask for their hand in marriage. This is part of how they keep the proposal a surprise. If Austin hasn't asked Joy by now, she would know that he already had JB's blessing. Joy also said she loves surprises. Her proposal would have been a surprise before this was aired- otherwise the cat would be out of the bag.

1 hour ago, metheglyn said:

I have a hard time imagining that they would air even a teaser of Austin asking for permission before he actually asked Joy and got her acceptance. After all, showing the world that he'd asked for permission before he let Joy know he was ready to ask would be absurd. Aside from the question of Joy saying yes not being an absolutely sure thing, it would also be weird to tease this and then have JB say no. I mean, where would they go from there? Just keep stringing Austin and Joy (and the audience) along for a season of "Now?" "No." 2 episodes pass while Joy gives THs about how she doesn't know when he's going to actually ask her even though she knows he wants to. "Now?" Not yet." Another couple episodes. "Now?" "Yes, fine, now." Austin finally asks Joy, she gives a happy TH, end of season.

So I can't see how they could not be engaged at this point, though I agree they'll likely hold off on the announcement as long as possible or fiscally beneficial for them. 

I agree they likely are. We haven't received any official confirmation yet - no ring sighting and no press release. I should have worded that better before, so apologies for any confusion.

This makes me sad. Sure, lots of couples marry young and they work out just fine, but Joy is being raised in a fundie household. Expectations for her future are much more different. She's literally the same age as me. I also have my birthday in October and I cannot imagine getting married at her age, especially to someone whose family is so neck-deep in Kool Aid.

6 hours ago, season of life said:

This makes me sad. Sure, lots of couples marry young and they work out just fine, but Joy is being raised in a fundie household. Expectations for her future are much more different. She's literally the same age as me. I also have my birthday in October and I cannot imagine getting married at her age, especially to someone whose family is so neck-deep in Kool Aid.

I agree, my son is month younger than you are and I just can't imagine him getting married now. He's not ready, he and his nerdy friends are road tripping 1/2 across the country to go to PAX East (a gaming convention) This is what kids your age should be doing,  stupid things, and being stupid and having fun and exploring your adult hood. 

On 28.2.2017 at 4:22 PM, Mela99 said:

She's just so YOUNG .... When my SIL got engaged, it was to her very first boyfriend in college, at the ages of 19 and 20. I was admittedly concerned. They've since married but still... there's so much out there... 

Well, the difference is (and I know you know this, just stating the obvious again), your SIL went to college and made a (hopefully) conscious decision by herself and got behind her choice.  Yes, there's so much out there but they can explore that together. Some people also just aren't the 'explore what's out there' kind of people and that is perfectly fine. The Duggars OTOH don't have a choice, and once they're married they get pregnant a second into their marriage. They don't want to explore the heathen world anyway so...

Yeah, I actually have a feeling that we are not going to see a Joy wedding next season. I think it will likely be the end of the year, or possibly 2018. I actually think that they are going to make a thing of Austin/Joy not being ready and create some suspense around it. Despite JinJer's fast track, the Duggars do really love to drag things out and I think we are going to be left speculating for sometime about when AuJoy? Joystin? will finally tie the knot.

I'm calling it now. I think a)it's too soon after Jinger's wedding to have another wedding, B)there's more story line's coming up for Jessa w #2, DerJill back in CA and the birth of Dillard #2 c)Joy is too young - I know that's not really a reason, but they can play it up and JB will have fun putting Austin through the paces and making him prove himself to creating a storyline. I bet the preview scene where Austin asks JB to propose will be met with a "now is not the right time/too soon" excuse just to prove that "not all courtships are the same". Then Austin's challenge will be flipping 5 houses before he "earns the right" to marry Joy. I think he will have to ask twice, but no more than that.

I think it has less to do with Joy being too young and everything to do with not having another daughter to marry off apart from Jana.

They'll try to get two seasons' worth of material with Joy, maybe three with Jana - looking for someone, courting someone, marrying someone and then Hannie will be old enough to be of interest and the Dullards and Seewalds will have a big enough brood to be half-interesting.

Unless that show finally gets cancelled!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived