IGNORED

Kendal Explains Why Homeschooling Really Is a Waste of Time

emmiedahl

...except for Bible!

thefatherknowsbest.com/2011/09/knowledge-versus-wisdom.html

She lists chemistry, math and geography among things that are not so important in the scheme of things. As a former homeschooling parent, this shit pisses me off. To be fair, she is quoting some Christian author I have never heard of.

Worshipping people who aren't God + child neglect = Christian fundamentalism

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if you just want to freaking live exactly like Kendal, her daughters are going to need to know chemistry and math. and her sons math. Paying the bills/budgeting/being within your paycheck=MATH.

Cooking and baking=CHEMISTRY.

My stepdad is a chemistry teacher and sometimes he explains to me the chemical processes when I ask him cooking questions. And it makes me understand the cooking better.

So interesting how presentation makes such a difference.

If she'd stuck with "knowledge is not the same as wisdom", I could totally agree. And I've seen that disconnect more times than I'd care to count, and wouldn't want my children to go that way.

But she's taking a completely antagonistic approach towards knowledge and that bothers me. I'm also a Christian, so I understand the idea of the Gospel's primacy, but maybe it's because I'm not a Calvinist :p ....I don't view learning and knowing and progressing as utterly useless to manking or to individuals, and I don't believe death will end those things, either. If anything, we will have the opportunity to learn infinitely more, which is a cool thought to me. :)

Even if you just want to freaking live exactly like Kendal, her daughters are going to need to know chemistry and math. and her sons math. Paying the bills/budgeting/being within your paycheck=MATH.

Cooking and baking=CHEMISTRY.

My stepdad is a chemistry teacher and sometimes he explains to me the chemical processes when I ask him cooking questions. And it makes me understand the cooking better.

My daughter is about to finish a bachelor's degree (4 year college- GASP!) in culinary SCIENCE. 4 years' college education in the science behind food (growth/manufacture/preparation/preservation/etc).

Go figure.

Kendal is an idiot. Seems like failing to teach kids about basic educational topics when one "homeschools" would be a legal violation that might fall into the child neglect category.

I think this broad genuinely, in her heart of hearts, wishes she could send her kids to daycare/public school, but external forces (husband? church?) are preventing her. Any good home schooler has to approach the task with a healthy respect for knowledge and inquiry. This one? Not so much.

Being a chemist, hearing people say science is useless just sets me on fire. SOOOO mad. Does Kendall take medication? Has she ever taken advil? Does she know why you can't take certain medications with grapefruit juices? Does she understand why when her child is sick, its CHEMISTRY that makes them better? Ugh, sooooo flipping mad. Going to work now to do teh evil Chemistry and set about continuing to save lives with science

So much for taking over the world...if Kendal's a representation of the religious homeschooling mama (and I don't think she is), then there's nothing to be worried about.

Being a chemist, hearing people say science is useless just sets me on fire. SOOOO mad. Does Kendall take medication? Has she ever taken advil? Does she know why you can't take certain medications with grapefruit juices? Does she understand why when her child is sick, its CHEMISTRY that makes them better? Ugh, sooooo flipping mad. Going to work now to do teh evil Chemistry and set about continuing to save lives with science

As a scientist as well, I concur. However, from the few times the fundie SAHMs have posted their scientific knowledge on their blogs, in some ways I rather their kids live in blissful ignorance than learn fundie science.

Kelly over at GC had a somewhat similar post. Someone had asked her about how homeschooling worked for higher level subjects where the mom may not know much about the topic and the example brought up was chemistry. Kelly's response was something along the lines of "Well, I took chemistry in high school and I don't remember any of that and I don't use it so its not necessary." She also pointed out that the school district in her area didn't require that the students take chemistry so she wasn't worried about it (because when it comes to your kids education, its always best to aim for the minimum).

As a scientist as well, I concur. However, from the few times the fundie SAHMs have posted their scientific knowledge on their blogs, in some ways I rather their kids live in blissful ignorance than learn fundie science.

Kelly over at GC had a somewhat similar post. Someone had asked her about how homeschooling worked for higher level subjects where the mom may not know much about the topic and the example brought up was chemistry. Kelly's response was something along the lines of "Well, I took chemistry in high school and I don't remember any of that and I don't use it so its not necessary." She also pointed out that the school district in her area didn't require that the students take chemistry so she wasn't worried about it (because when it comes to your kids education, its always best to aim for the minimum).

Blissful ignorance is pretty much the way fundies go when it comes to science. Not surprised about Kelly GC's post about not having her kids take chemistry. At my high school, chemistry also was not required. Biology was the only required science class. You needed three science credits to graduate and if you didn't take chemistry you could opt to take earth sciences, astronomy, or physics. But fundies like Kelly would find all science classes evil.

I don't know about Kendal specifically, but since so many fundie types try to cure themselves and their children with cranberry juice and prayer, I'm gonna go with "no" on that one.

I'm sure we all have certain topics that we studied in school that don't apply later, but I'm not sure that's a total waste. At least you can impress your friends while watching Jeopardy and Cash Cab ;) It's not like "knowledge" and "the Bible" are totally separate entities, and you can only choose one to learn about. Plenty of people go to seminaries and spend their lives studying their religious texts, but they still manage to learn a few other things along the way. Only studying one book your entire life seems like a waste to me.

I can't say I remember much of chemistry, but it doesn't mean it isn't an important subject... It just means I didn't pay much attention :handgestures-thumbdown: (and was drawing in my note-books instead of focusing). So I guess that according to Kelly's logic, the only subjects which she found to be interesting, are the ones worth teaching to her kids? Wow... :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

...except for Bible!

thefatherknowsbest.com/2011/09/knowledge-versus-wisdom.html

She lists chemistry, math and geography among things that are not so important in the scheme of things. As a former homeschooling parent, this shit pisses me off. To be fair, she is quoting some Christian author I have never heard of.

Worshipping people who aren't God + child neglect = Christian fundamentalism

Math isn't important in daily life? A civil engineer uses math hundreds of times a day. Why? To make sure the roads, tunnels, bridges and dams are SAFE and built correctly. That's pretty damn important.

Chemistry is important- a firefighter uses chemistry when he decides what to use to put out a fire. House fire? Probably water. Oil fire? Something not water.

Geography is important- a geologist will use geography (as well as topography and geology) to diagnose and find a way to fix your home's foundation sinking into the ground. Or to test soils for toxins. Or to determine how to build safely in an earthquake zone.

Just because you don't use it in YOUR daily life doesn't mean it's irrevalent IN your daily life. THAT'S why we teach science and math.

Are they just afraid their kids will know about the world or something?

Just so everyone knows my kids have a nice chemistry kit I bought for this year and have taken at least 4 chemistry classes(one was a camp run by the science center).

Just because you don't use it in YOUR daily life doesn't mean it's irrevalent IN your daily life.

And besides, if you're a QF mom, how can you not use math in your daily life? You need math to figure out when your next blessing is due, and how far apart your contractions are. You need it to figure out how many yards of calico will clothe your girl blessings. You need it to multiply recipes until there's enough to feed the umpty-twelve mouths at your dining room table.

A question... As a homeschooling parent, what are you required to teach your children?

How many more languages than English?

When it comes to religion, are you supposed to teach about a variety of religions?

How much maths? Does it involve drawing graphs, solve different types of equations, understanding derivative and number e...? (I'm just mentioning random things from what I learned in public school).

Honestly, it's just another way to limit their kids' futures. They don't want to expand their children's horizons at all, let them see the world in a new light, or see how various things are interrelated. And they CERTAINLY don't want them to grow up to be a doctor or a lawyer or...well...anything but a SAHM (girls) or manual labor (boys). Sadly, limiting their educations is a very effective way to keep people in line.

A question... As a homeschooling parent, what are you required to teach your children?

When it comes to religion, are you supposed to teach about a variety of religions?

How much maths? Does it involve drawing graphs, solve different types of equations, understanding derivative and number e...? (I'm just mentioning random things from what I learned in public school).

The requirements probably vary from state to state. I used to read a blog written by a widowed mother homeschooling her teenage daughter. The blogger claimed she was homeschooling her daughter because the girl had a form of vertigo. This woman lived in California and she said on the blog that they got to pick out the subjects for homeschooling and then they had to file with the state. This woman was a devout Christian and she even said that she was going to make Bible study apart of their curriculum.

In New Mexico where I live, the homeschooling families that I have known here didn't teach their kids foreign languages and when their kids were at the high school level the kids did take algebra 1, algebra 2 and geometry which are the basic core requirements in the public schools, the kids did take 2 or 3 years of science, 4 years of English, 3 years of history/social studies. One of the families I knew was fundie lite but they were ok with math and sciences. The other family that I knew were secular homeschoolers who did follow some things from public schools. The fundie lite family did have bible study as part of their curriculum.

And what's so wrong with learning something simply for the joy of learning it? I don't have to know about stars, the moon, our milky way, in my every day life, but when I'm outside at night I love to contemplate the mysteries of our wonderful universe. And any other universes out there!

Kendal is laying the groundwork for not schooling those children. She mentioned something about homeschooling in her meltdown follow up post that made me really nervous.

Starting our school year was definitely an added source of pressure. I felt a bit unprepared and was unsure how we were going to accomplish all that needed to be accomplished while still meeting the needs of the other children, especially my little fussy man. So my husband and I talked and we are going to make some changes. He reminded me first that there is absolutely no pressure in starting school right away. We are never "behind" when it comes to school work. We are on our own schedule and after looking at what the state requires for her to know, we are ahead of the game. So no worries there!

Honestly I think she is slowly trying to convince herself that the only education they need is the Bible, and a crash course in cleaning Kendal's house and helping Kendal raise her children 101.

She KNOWS better. Hell she used to be a nurse, and she knows that her husbands education provides the comfortable lifestyle she now leads, but for some reason she's going to deny her children.

She has gotten sucked into homeschooling somehow, and she's not willing to part ways with the idea, but she's too damn lazy to actually follow through with it. I think there is A LOT of princess to Kendal. That's why she's raising those girls to take care of each other.

I think they would all be so much happier if she put the older kids in school.

....I don't view learning and knowing and progressing as utterly useless to manking or to individuals, and I don't believe death will end those things, either.

Sorry but I have to snark on this riffle. Freudian slip?

Every state has different requirements

From PA.state law:"At the secondary school level, the following courses shall be taught: English, to include language, literature, speech and composition; science; geography; social studies, to include civics, world history, history of the United States and Pennsylvania; mathematics, to include general mathematics, algebra and geometry; art; music; physical education; health; and safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the dangers and prevention of fires. Such courses of study may include, at the discretion of the supervisor of the home education program,

economics; biology; chemistry; foreign languages; trigonometry; or other age-appropriate courses as contained in Chapter 5 (Curriculum Requirements) of the State Board of Education."

To me, the stupidest thing is the dangers and prevention of fires EVERY YEAR,including highschool. We normally take the whole co-op to a "safety day" where all the police, firetrucks, ambulances are and count that.

You do not have to teach anything about religion. We do "world religions" and my kids know all the major religions. We are hoping to start fieldtrips this year to the Buddhist center, Hindu temple etc...

Speaking for myself, my kids have had 4 years of Spanish so far, depending on your state you may not need any.

Just so everyone knows my kids have a nice chemistry kit I bought for this year and have taken at least 4 chemistry classes(one was a camp run by the science center).

These bitches are definitely not the typical homeschooling moms, because the moms I knew were really into creating educated adults. When we homeschooled, our day was basically divided between science and reading books. I know she is not the typical homeschooling mom. For a fact.

My philosophy was always that you can learn history, psychology, etc from books--from reading historical novels and such. And you could learn math and so many other things from science. We had other stuff thrown in there, but science took up half of our days typically. Most homeschoolers I knew had tons of science supplies. I still do a lot of science activities with my kids because their schools

Science is important because it is how shit works. On the most fundamental basis, we are alive because of photosynthesis. It is that important. And it is not in the Bible.

It varies by state.

The vast majority of homeschoolers I know are religious, and also have no problem with college education, and they are generally looking to go way beyond the bare minimum required by the state.

One of the things that convinced dh that homeschooling was viable and not just for lazy, education-hating silly people was meeting people from the local homeschooling co-op and their children. These particular people were *very* intent on giving their children a thorough, well-rounded, college track education. And doing a fine job of it.

Our current co-op is all elementary aged students, and doing semester long introductions to Spanish and German and maybe other languages as well as cultural studies. This is not something provided at my kid's ages through the state cyber school, so I'm glad for the opportunity.

I think it varies according to the area.

Where I homeschooled, no foreign languages are required for homeschoolers. To be fair, they are not required in public schools, although we learned Spanish because I live in an area where that is the predominant language and thus needed to get around in daily life.

No requirements for religion. Again, it is not required in public schools either. My kids learned about world religions. Also, my husband is Christian, I am Jewish and my parents are Buddhist. We are a walking religion unit. Just throw in some Hinduism and Islam and we got it covered!

As for math, the kids have to take the state tests. Mine always scored in the highest categories.

I was a somewhat lackadaisical homeschooler, but they soak stuff up like a sponge! When we re-entered the school system, all scored several grade levels above their actual grade level and were placed in gifted classes where these are available. I do believe that children will learn a lot on their own if parents give them the tools and convey a love of learning. But Kendal is teaching her kids the opposite--that learning any secular subject is pointless. Her kids will fail in any academic environment with that attitude.

Archived