IGNORED

Abortion at 32 Weeks

Jucifer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This breaks my heart. I've read a few stories from women who've gone through late-term abortion and what they go through is just so tragic. To know that aborting your much-wanted baby is so much more humane than allowing it to be still-born or suffer horrendously for the short time they live...talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have nothing but sympathy for these women and nothing but anger towards anti-choicers who make it all the more difficult for women to handle these already difficult situations. I hope to never be in this situation but from the outside looking in, I feel like I'd rather have a late-term abortion, as hard as it might be, than birth a child who will be in agony for the few moments it lives. But I don't know. I'm certainly not in that situation and as much as I can't say for sure what I would do, I certainly can't say what another woman should do.

But you guys, late term abortion only exists because Slutty Suzy was super lazy and decided in the middle of the third trimester that a baby will cramp her style! 

Excuse me while I go chop my fingers off because I am so disgusted that I just typed that, even in sarcasm.

In other abortion news, the Supreme Court will hand down its decision in Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt on Monday 6/27 at 10am Eastern time.  It's a big big deal.  Because who cares what Roe said if your state politicians can just pass endless TRAP laws until all of the clinics are forced to close?  A right isn't really a right if you can't exercise it.

I feel so much for this woman. And on top of everything else, her boss violated her privacy rights!

She put this well:

One of my mom’s best friends is this guy from the Middle East, a very pro-America conservative immigrant who thinks that rightful immigration ended with him. He’s a Fox News watcher. He was telling us once how we can’t allow refugees into this country because we’ll end up with Sharia law in small-town America. And I keep thinking about that—that crazy idea—because what do we have now? Abortion law is Christian Sharia law, based on religion and emotion.

In case anyone can't read through, there are links at the bottom of the article if you would like to donate to Dr. Hern's practice, the National Network of Abortion Funds, and the George Tiller Memorial Fund which goes specifically to late term abortions.  I put them in the spoiler, if that's okay.

Spoiler

drhern.com/en/contact-us.html

fundabortionnow.org

fundabortionnow.org/learn/tiller

Dr. Hern was also featured in the documentary After Tiller, which follows the remaining small handful of doctors doing late-term abortions after the assassination of Dr. Tiller.  It's available on Netflix's streaming service right now and I can't recommend it highly enough if you have any interest in the issue of reproductive rights.   Related to the pending SCOTUS case on TRAP laws, TRAPPED is now streaming in full on the website for PBS' Independent Lens program.

My computer won't let me read the full interview, it refuses to load completely, but what I read made my heart go out to this lady! I am against abortion as regular birth control but in any other cases? I feel so sorry for this lady in her horrible situation, I cannot imagine how hard it must be to make a decision in that situation.  And instead of people supporting you and trying to comfort you there is nothing but prejudice and "pro-life" blabla.  I would actually like to hear from a pro lifer how not having the abortion and letting her baby suffocate slowly would have been a better solution!

I actually had no idea that you could still get an abortion at 32 weeks. I thought that once you were at viability you were stuck until the birth.  I'm so glad that this woman was able to get what she needed, even through all the hardships.
I sent a donation to Dr. Hern to help fix his roof.

Just now, Inthemadhouse said:

I actually had no idea that you could still get an abortion at 32 weeks. I thought that once you were at viability you were stuck until the birth.  I'm so glad that this woman was able to get what she needed, even through all the hardships.
I sent a donation to Dr. Hern to help fix his roof.

It depends on the state.  The remaining doctors providing late term abortions are practicing in New Mexico (Drs. Sella and Robinson), Colorado (Dr. Hern), and Maryland (Dr. Carhart).

just horrible. 'scuse me while i go snuggle a napping baby. :'(

She's right about it being insanely expensive. I didn't have anyone to lend me that kind of cash. The doctor told me I was 'lucky' when my wanted, planned pregnancy died inside me instead of being born to suffer a short time. 

Women in this country are not people. We are two legged brood mares. If we don't want children we are selfish bitches.  Can't seem to win, can we?

:cry::cry::cry:

I saw the documentary After Tilman.  The work that they do is interesting. It's such a sad situation for anyone. The women they showed their pregnancies were very much wanted.  But their babies weren't viable. 

This story makes my heart want to leap out of my throat.  I'm the only one of my close personal circle-friends and family alike- that hasn't lost a baby.  I wasn't ready to have a baby when I did...we talked about all the alternatives, all of them.  I carried her to term and 4 years later had my tubes tied.  I have never understood why the procedure this doctor utilizes isn't part of any OB's schooling/protocol.  Perhaps it is...perhaps there are those who will reject that portion of their education simply because they don't want to deal with it.  The vehement pro-life (pro-birth) defenders make it sound as though any woman walking the street can and will just waltz into a clinic and have this done and then go have coffee.  The cost alone is enough to deter anyone who does not have a solid medical/psychological reason for this to be necessary.  I don't ever want my daughter or my niece to have to face a hell like this...whether it's one baby with major complications, or having to choose to sacrifice one or all of multiples, or carrying a child of a man who forced himself on her.  

It disturbs me to know there are so many people who will refuse to see all the grey areas in this vast issue....they make it black and white when it so clearly is not.  I wish all the Anderson's, Alexanders, Duggar's, etc, could comprehend situations like this.  

32 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

I have never understood why the procedure this doctor utilizes isn't part of any OB's schooling/protocol.  Perhaps it is...perhaps there are those who will reject that portion of their education simply because they don't want to deal with it. 

It's not taught at most medical schools, because politics/controversy.  Medical students who want to learn how to perform abortions have to seek out those opportunities for themselves.  Combine that with the fact that choosing to be an abortion provider is choosing to make comparatively little money (for a doctor) and to risk your life on a daily basis while facing constant stalking/harrassment threats, and I think it's clear why there's a huge shortage of providers in most of the US.  Those who choose to do it anyway are heroes, in my eyes.

I wish every anti choice person would read this.

I wish they could understand the harm that happens when their beliefs are made into laws.

Women deserve to make their own medical decisions just like men do.

Got it, anti choice people?

Good.  

Perhaps if pregnancy wasn't viewed by so many as a 'consequence' of sex (which is evil and sinful unless your are married) it would be more acceptable to terminate. Gotta punish those sluts,  don't ya know?

Hell, most of America doesn't even allow the right to die for adults. Life is precious. Needless suffering is so often avoidable if it weren't for other people and their religious convictions. 

Womens medicine needs to improve.  Much of it is torturing us for no reason. We have virtual colonoscopy exams for men. Women get smashed breasts for mammograms and painful transvaginal ultrasounds.

48 minutes ago, Khan said:

Perhaps if pregnancy wasn't viewed by so many as a 'consequence' of sex (which is evil and sinful unless your are married) it would be more acceptable to terminate. Gotta punish those sluts,  don't ya know?

Hell, most of America doesn't even allow the right to die for adults. Life is precious. Needless suffering is so often avoidable if it weren't for other people and their religious convictions. 

Womens medicine needs to improve.  Much of it is torturing us for no reason. We have virtual colonoscopy exams for men. Women get smashed breasts for mammograms and painful transvaginal ultrasounds.

Not only that, a lot of drugs aren't fully tested on women, because that's "too complicated." As a result, the effect of many drugs on pregnant women, or women dealing with one of the various hormonal fluctuations that mark our lives, isn't known when they go on the market. And we're all aware of the issues surrounding contraception, while there's nary a peep about men getting vasectomies or medication to deal with impotence.

I read that one of the problems with testing the safety of drugs for pregnancy is that it's ethically really dodgy to set up the study.

I read this article when it came out. Heartbreaking.

@paganbaby You're right. How many women are denied medication for concern over birth defects instead of having medical research done to delve into side effects? My mother used to say that if men could get pregnant abortion would be a Sacrament. What will it take for women to be treated like people?

It's so important for men to have satisfying sex lives. Pay no mind to the women getting fucked. If she isn't a wife and or mommy she has no value anyway.

7 hours ago, Imrlgoddess said:

7 hours ago, Imrlgoddess said:

It disturbs me to know there are so many people who will refuse to see all the grey areas in this vast issue....they make it black and white when it so clearly is not.  

Yes, agreed. What a heartbreaking story. 

This story made me cry. My heart aches for her.

A late term abortion for medical reasons should always be possible and paid for. 

She was faced with two difficult and heartbreaking choices - and she should absolutely not be faced with a medical bills of over 10,000 dollars. My condolences for her loss and I wish her a happy and healthy next pregnancy, if she should decide to try again eventually. I hope she has a great support system and I pray for healing for her and her husband.

The medical research that would need to be done for more drugs to have clear safety profiles in pregnancy wouldn't be ethical unfortunately. Without humans taking things while pregnant and comparing the results with pregnant women in similar situations who haven't been given the medication you just don't get the clear data you'd want in any other situation. Animal research only gets you to a certain point, often making things look less safe than they are. I've had to take a medication during pregnancy without clear evidence about the safety, had to prescribe to pregnant patients and desperately wish I could give them more information about the risks versus benefits but I've also done medical research. It's a catch 22 and were men the ones who carried babies I honestly do not believe that would be any different.

Archived