IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!!: The 20th (THREAD) Achieved!

FundieFarmer

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I've encountered it in Greek Orthodox churches as well. And mosques, of course!

When I went to visit a mosque in Malaysia, I went in wearing a long-sleeved shirt, an ankle-length skirt, and carrying a scarf to put on my head. The lady running reception said that she appreciated that I actually dressed modestly (unlike a lot of tourists who come), but I still had to put on the big purple cloak that all non-Muslim tourists have to put on. I think I looked a little silly and the cloak was enormous on me, but hey, I got to see a gorgeous mosque and had a really cool tour guide, so I didn't mind. The pictures make me look like a purple Ringwraith as an added bonus.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Catholic Church, at least in the US dispensed with hat-wearing for females around 1968.  Some traditionalist Catholics have gone back to wearing veils (and other head coverings) in church.  I don't know of any widespread head covering (i.e., women's heads should be covered at all times) movement among trad Catholics though.

Many black women still wear hats in church and they can be fabulous!

One of my premie daughters in the NICU graduated from Bob Jones U (they have a really good nursing program) and she told us that BJU required women to wear hats in chapel.  She also told us that she threw all her hats out the minute she graduated!

Speaking about hats and nurses reminds me of nurses' caps.  Caps in the US generally were modeled after servant's caps, but those in the UK were often modeled after a nun's veil and nurses were/are called nursing sisters.  Damn, I'm going to miss Call the Midwife till next year!

Me too. They did a great job dealing with difficult topics. The Thalidomide was heartbreaking.

Personally, I like wearing hats because it saves time doing my hair in the morning. It can get really weird and wavy. Just put on a little fashionable hat and go! However, if my gross ass hat hair is supposedly turning guys on, well, THEY have more problems than first realized. Lol.

12 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

The hat thing is just in the church of england. And about covering knees and shoulders, i have only ever encountered it in italy, in big historic cathedrals. It killed me, they can cover up the abuse of children all over the world, but they can't handle my knees

I was in England two years ago and I didn't notice any hats in church.  I daresay it is permitted, but I don't think it is common any more.

In Catholic churches all over the world, it used to be required for women to cover their heads.  I had not heard that it was now considered disrespectful in some European churches for women to wear hats.  I know when I was in Santiago de Compostela three summers ago, men were asked to take their hats off, but women apparently were not. (A French woman on the same pew as I was had a cloth hat on during the whole service.).  

10 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Hats were required in the Catholic Church when I was a child. Even to the point where some ladies would bobby pin a little round lace mantilla, or even a tissue to their hair. I stopped going to mass around the time I graduated Catholic HS, so not sure when that change happened.

Do you remember gloves?  As little kids we had to wear white gloves as well.   (Dress, patent leather shoes, little purse, gloves, and hat.)  I don't know if it was required at church or it was just the style then.  After the late '60's I don't remember the hats anymore.

8 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Probably post Vatican II. In fact I can no longer remember if it went on while I was in HS, 69-73.

I believe it relaxed gradually between 1968 and 1972.  By 1973, in New Orleans, only little old ladies wore head covering to mass.  Visiting very religious cousins in Mexico in 1971, the practice was you could visit the church as a tourist without a head covering but if you were going to worship you wore the veil.

This link gives a little of the history of the Catholic position on veils in the 20th century. It is a conservative site which concludes that the veils are attractive.

What happened to head coverings

A funny factoid is that even Catholics did not wear mantillas (lace veils) to church on Sundays in the US. The American women wore hats.

But when Jackie Kennedy wore a mantilla to church, it suddenly became a fashion even among many Protestants.  This was in the early 60s.  I am sure she didn't wear a mantilla in the 70s if she even went to church. (As I recall, she was excommunicated for marrying Onassis, who was divorced.)

image.jpeg

Scared the shit out me! I thought Michelle was pregnant again due to the title. 

9 hours ago, anotherone said:

Do you remember gloves?  As little kids we had to wear white gloves as well.   (Dress, patent leather shoes, little purse, gloves, and hat.)  I don't know if it was required at church or it was just the style then.  After the late '60's I don't remember the hats anymore.

Its still alive and well at Baptist churches down here in Georgia. Easter hats are like the Kentucky derby for southern ladies.

9 hours ago, DamnPrecious said:

Scared the shit out me! I thought Michelle was pregnant again due to the title. 

I thought exactly the same and was expecting  FJ to have im/exploded with indignant rage.

As for hats, I attend a 'high' Church of England Church and only see hats in formal occasions like wedding, funerals etc. I don't see them routinely and would  expect a person chose to wear one rather than doing it to fulfil an obligation. 

Are the rescue ferrets still around? :ferret::ferret::ferret:

I've been on vacation this week and sliding into sooooo many rabbit holes...:shakehead2:

12 hours ago, anotherone said:

I do!  Child of the 50's here.  I absolutely hated those white gloves. I had to wear them whether it was hot or cold outside.  I liked my patent leather Mary Janes, though.  I also remember in the early 60s that teenage girls wore girdles, another restricting garment I hated.   :playful2:

43 minutes ago, Drala said:

I do!  Child of the 50's here.  I absolutely hated those white gloves. I had to wear them whether it was hot or cold outside.  I liked my patent leather Mary Janes, though.  I also remember in the early 60s that teenage girls wore girdles, another restricting garment I hated.   :playful2:

Girdles with garters to hold up stockings.

I thought exactly the same and was expecting  FJ to have im/exploded with indignant rage.

As for hats, I attend a 'high' Church of England Church and only see hats in formal occasions like wedding, funerals etc. I don't see them routinely and would  expect a person chose to wear one rather than doing it to fulfil an obligation. 

Same here, but Anglican Church of Canada. And even for weddings and funerals, they're not common.

@PennySycamore said:Many black women still wear hats in church and they can be fabulous!

Every time I see the Queen of England and other royals with their fine millinery, I think to myself that they would fit right in on Sunday morning in many predominantly Black churches. Especially  the Queen, with her matching suits. I have several nice hats from my Missionary Baptist days, but I seldom wear hats because hat hair. I have short hair that is poofy on top, so in winter I wear those wrap around ear warmer thingies, which are not just for men anymore.

2 hours ago, Drala said:

I also remember in the early 60s that teenage girls wore girdles, another restricting garment I hated.   :playful2:

Body armor! I hated girdles with the heat of a thousand suns, those rubber smelling things. It was Iike wearing a tire! Add garters and stockings, and the torture outfit was complete. My mother said only hussies went untrussed and jiggling. No matter how big or small of a person you were, girdle it was! Those were the bad old days. I still can't stand feeling restricted.

I found it interesting that the Jehovah Witness lady who studied with me decades ago put a scarf over her head when we prayed together and no men were present. She said it was to acknowledge that if a man had been present, he would have led the prayer, or something like that. To show she was cognizant of her role as a woman, or something else that made no sense to me.

2 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Body armor! I hated girdles with the heat of a thousand suns, those rubber smelling things. It was Iike wearing a tire! Add garters and stockings, and the torture outfit was complete. My mother said only hussies went untrussed and jiggling. No matter how big or small, girdle it was! Those were the bad old days. I still can't stand feeling restricted.

Do you remember your first bra?  I was still quite flat at 13, but my mother insisted I get this contraption to wear under my white shirts so no one could see my nipples.  (I guess she never heard of undershirts.)  I freakin' hated that thing.  One afternoon I came in the house and ripped it off, gnashed at the fabric with my teeth, then threw it down the toilet--after stomping all over it.  When 'burn your bra' came in vogue in the late 60s, I was first in line for the bonfire.

7 minutes ago, Drala said:

Do you remember your first bra?  I was still quite flat at 13, but my mother insisted I get this contraption to wear under my white shirts so no one could see my nipples.  (I guess she never heard of undershirts.)  I freakin' hated that thing.  One afternoon I came in the house and ripped it off, gnashed at the fabric with my teeth, then threw it down the toilet--after stomping all over it.  When 'burn your bra' came in vogue in the late 60s, I was first in line for the bonfire.

Yeah that was silly to make you wear something you just didn't  need. I was, uh, busty when I started developing. I remember narrow non stretch straps digging into my shoulders so bad it hurt and left contusions. I also remember  straps breaking in gym class and trying to find someone with a safety pin. It was mortifying, this undergarment insecurity. Undergarments are so much nicer now.

7 hours ago, JabberJabber said:

I'm Anglican Church of Canada, and we do not wear hats to church. Haven't my entire life. That said, I did attend a Puritan Church as a child, and had to wear a hat. 

I've been down here in the south for 10 years now, but I belonged to my chirch up north for 30-odd years. I sit in the choir loft overlooking the congregation & I could swear, every week I think I see someone from home or someone I am familiar with. Few weeks ago it was the dead husband of another choir member. Spitting image. This week, it was Josie Duggar. She came up by the choir loft for the children's sermon. Same raggedy blond hair, same body shape, same age, same goofy head & a long dress.

I should get my eyes checked.

When I turned 12 I was given a new outfit to wear to my Birthday treat (an outing to see a musical performed) which included gloves, lipstick, and my first girdle and fishnet stockings!  This was in August.  In Southern California.  Hot hot hot.  But that's how ubiquitous fishnet stockings were-- they were considered appropriate even for little girls.  All  through 6th grade I wore dresses and fishnet stockings (the schools had not changed the rules yet so female students had to wear dresses and skirts.)  Can you imagine a 12 year old playing on the monkey bars in a girdle and fishnets?  I laugh just thinking about it but at the same time it is a bit horrifying what society considered appropriate wear for girls.

Also in the 6th grade my mom sent me to an after school class for "finishing" (mostly grooming and posture.) We ended the 8 week class with a fashion show for our parents and the teachers of the class chose what we would model.  They gave me-- a 12 year old girl sensitive about her overly large breasts and hips-- a two piece, polka dot bathing suit to model.  I think about it now and wonder how I ever had the courage to walk down the runway.  Everyone else was modeling clothes and coats.  What the hell were they thinking?

@Handmaiden of Dog I can't imagine what they were thinking, but you should feel proud that you were able to do it. I don't think I could have, though at that age I had nothing to show off.

Bloody hell guys, when I saw the title I thought J'chelle was pregnant. Don't do that to me !!! 

2 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

When I turned 12 I was given a new outfit to wear to my Birthday treat (an outing to see a musical performed) which included gloves, lipstick, and my first girdle and fishnet stockings!  This was in August.  In Southern California.  Hot hot hot.  But that's how ubiquitous fishnet stockings were-- they were considered appropriate even for little girls.  All  through 6th grade I wore dresses and fishnet stockings (the schools had not changed the rules yet so female students had to wear dresses and skirts.)  Can you imagine a 12 year old playing on the monkey bars in a girdle and fishnets?  I laugh just thinking about it but at the same time it is a bit horrifying what society considered appropriate wear for girls.

Also in the 6th grade my mom sent me to an after school class for "finishing" (mostly grooming and posture.) We ended the 8 week class with a fashion show for our parents and the teachers of the class chose what we would model.  They gave me-- a 12 year old girl sensitive about her overly large breasts and hips-- a two piece, polka dot bathing suit to model.  I think about it now and wonder how I ever had the courage to walk down the runway.  Everyone else was modeling clothes and coats.  What the hell were they thinking?

I know I will set womens right back like a 100 years but I kinda wish I went to finishing school. I don't posses the 'girl' gene as I call it. I hunch over, don't walk nicely, and don't get me started on clothing. No matter what I wear I don't look 'put together'. I'm always pulling and tugging. Even if I look nice I still pull and tug. So yeah that's just me. I need refinement lol

I'll go back to my cave now.

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I know I will set womens right back like a 100 years but I kinda wish I went to finishing school. I don't posses the 'girl' gene as I call it. I hunch over, don't walk nicely, and don't get me started on clothing. No matter what I wear I don't look 'put together'. I'm always pulling and tugging. Even if I look nice I still pull and tug. So yeah that's just me. I need refinement lol

I'll go back to my cave now.

It doesn't necessarily help. I went to a finishing school type thing one summer, and I still consistently look like I got caught in a wind tunnel. My posture is pretty good and I walk well (I guess?) but I attribute that to a decade of ballet classes. I sometimes wonder if some of us just aren't born a little "sloppy." Makes the boho look a breeze though :pb_lol:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • OnceUponATime unpinned this topic

Archived