Jump to content
IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!!: The 20th (THREAD) Achieved!


Recommended Posts

nastyhobbitses
4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I've encountered it in Greek Orthodox churches as well. And mosques, of course!

When I went to visit a mosque in Malaysia, I went in wearing a long-sleeved shirt, an ankle-length skirt, and carrying a scarf to put on my head. The lady running reception said that she appreciated that I actually dressed modestly (unlike a lot of tourists who come), but I still had to put on the big purple cloak that all non-Muslim tourists have to put on. I think I looked a little silly and the cloak was enormous on me, but hey, I got to see a gorgeous mosque and had a really cool tour guide, so I didn't mind. The pictures make me look like a purple Ringwraith as an added bonus.

  • Upvote 16
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • JermajestyDuggar

    31

  • theinvisiblegirl

    23

  • EmCatlyn

    20

  • Jana814

    18

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, FJ has officially reached the 20th thread...Michelle and Kelly must be fuming.  Carrying on from here:   

Christ on a cracker, that name is borderline abusive. I can't even think up a decent pronunciation. I hope little Hessie goes by her middle name.  Jesus didn't die for this nonsense. 

Posted Images

PennySycamore

The Catholic Church, at least in the US dispensed with hat-wearing for females around 1968.  Some traditionalist Catholics have gone back to wearing veils (and other head coverings) in church.  I don't know of any widespread head covering (i.e., women's heads should be covered at all times) movement among trad Catholics though.

Many black women still wear hats in church and they can be fabulous!

One of my premie daughters in the NICU graduated from Bob Jones U (they have a really good nursing program) and she told us that BJU required women to wear hats in chapel.  She also told us that she threw all her hats out the minute she graduated!

Speaking about hats and nurses reminds me of nurses' caps.  Caps in the US generally were modeled after servant's caps, but those in the UK were often modeled after a nun's veil and nurses were/are called nursing sisters.  Damn, I'm going to miss Call the Midwife till next year!

  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Wolf

Me too. They did a great job dealing with difficult topics. The Thalidomide was heartbreaking.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
CreationMuseumSeasonPass

Personally, I like wearing hats because it saves time doing my hair in the morning. It can get really weird and wavy. Just put on a little fashionable hat and go! However, if my gross ass hat hair is supposedly turning guys on, well, THEY have more problems than first realized. Lol.

  • Upvote 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
EmCatlyn
12 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

The hat thing is just in the church of england. And about covering knees and shoulders, i have only ever encountered it in italy, in big historic cathedrals. It killed me, they can cover up the abuse of children all over the world, but they can't handle my knees

I was in England two years ago and I didn't notice any hats in church.  I daresay it is permitted, but I don't think it is common any more.

In Catholic churches all over the world, it used to be required for women to cover their heads.  I had not heard that it was now considered disrespectful in some European churches for women to wear hats.  I know when I was in Santiago de Compostela three summers ago, men were asked to take their hats off, but women apparently were not. (A French woman on the same pew as I was had a cloth hat on during the whole service.).  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
anotherone
10 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Hats were required in the Catholic Church when I was a child. Even to the point where some ladies would bobby pin a little round lace mantilla, or even a tissue to their hair. I stopped going to mass around the time I graduated Catholic HS, so not sure when that change happened.

Do you remember gloves?  As little kids we had to wear white gloves as well.   (Dress, patent leather shoes, little purse, gloves, and hat.)  I don't know if it was required at church or it was just the style then.  After the late '60's I don't remember the hats anymore.

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
EmCatlyn
8 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Probably post Vatican II. In fact I can no longer remember if it went on while I was in HS, 69-73.

 I believe it relaxed gradually between 1968 and 1972.  By 1973, in New Orleans, only little old ladies wore head covering to mass.  Visiting very religious cousins in Mexico in 1971, the practice was you could visit the church as a tourist without a head covering but if you were going to worship you wore the veil.

This link gives a little of the history of the Catholic position on veils in the 20th century. It is a conservative site which concludes that the veils are attractive.

What happened to head coverings

A funny factoid is that even Catholics did not wear mantillas (lace veils) to church on Sundays in the US. The American women wore hats.

But when Jackie Kennedy wore a mantilla to church, it suddenly became a fashion even among many Protestants.  This was in the early 60s.  I am sure she didn't wear a mantilla in the 70s if she even went to church. (As I recall, she was excommunicated for marrying Onassis, who was divorced.)

 

image.jpeg

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
DamnPrecious

Scared the shit out me! I thought Michelle was pregnant again due to the title. 

  • Upvote 16
Link to post
Share on other sites
NotAnIncubator
9 hours ago, anotherone said:

Do you remember gloves?  As little kids we had to wear white gloves as well.   (Dress, patent leather shoes, little purse, gloves, and hat.)  I don't know if it was required at church or it was just the style then.  After the late '60's I don't remember the hats anymore.

Its still alive and well at Baptist churches down here in Georgia. Easter hats are like the Kentucky derby for southern ladies.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
JabberJabber
9 hours ago, DamnPrecious said:

Scared the shit out me! I thought Michelle was pregnant again due to the title. 

I thought exactly the same and was expecting  FJ to have im/exploded with indignant rage.

As for hats, I attend a 'high' Church of England Church and only see hats in formal occasions like wedding, funerals etc. I don't see them routinely and would  expect a person chose to wear one rather than doing it to fulfil an obligation. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
paulypepper

Are the rescue ferrets still around? :ferret::ferret::ferret:

I've been on vacation this week and sliding into sooooo many rabbit holes...:shakehead2:

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Drala
12 hours ago, anotherone said:

Do you remember gloves?  As little kids we had to wear white gloves as well.   (Dress, patent leather shoes, little purse, gloves, and hat.)  I don't know if it was required at church or it was just the style then.  After the late '60's I don't remember the hats anymore.

I do!  Child of the 50's here.  I absolutely hated those white gloves. I had to wear them whether it was hot or cold outside.  I liked my patent leather Mary Janes, though.  I also remember in the early 60s that teenage girls wore girdles, another restricting garment I hated.   :playful2:

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ungodly Grandma
43 minutes ago, Drala said:

I do!  Child of the 50's here.  I absolutely hated those white gloves. I had to wear them whether it was hot or cold outside.  I liked my patent leather Mary Janes, though.  I also remember in the early 60s that teenage girls wore girdles, another restricting garment I hated.   :playful2:

Girdles with garters to hold up stockings.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
genever
I thought exactly the same and was expecting  FJ to have im/exploded with indignant rage.

As for hats, I attend a 'high' Church of England Church and only see hats in formal occasions like wedding, funerals etc. I don't see them routinely and would  expect a person chose to wear one rather than doing it to fulfil an obligation. 

Same here, but Anglican Church of Canada. And even for weddings and funerals, they're not common.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBeach

@PennySycamore said:Many black women still wear hats in church and they can be fabulous!

Every time I see the Queen of England and other royals with their fine millinery, I think to myself that they would fit right in on Sunday morning in many predominantly Black churches. Especially  the Queen, with her matching suits. I have several nice hats from my Missionary Baptist days, but I seldom wear hats because hat hair. I have short hair that is poofy on top, so in winter I wear those wrap around ear warmer thingies, which are not just for men anymore.

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBeach
2 hours ago, Drala said:

 I also remember in the early 60s that teenage girls wore girdles, another restricting garment I hated.   :playful2:

Body armor! I hated girdles with the heat of a thousand suns, those rubber smelling things. It was Iike wearing a tire! Add garters and stockings, and the torture outfit was complete. My mother said only hussies went untrussed and jiggling. No matter how big or small of a person you were, girdle it was! Those were the bad old days. I still can't stand feeling restricted.

I found it interesting that the Jehovah Witness lady who studied with me decades ago put a scarf over her head when we prayed together and no men were present. She said it was to acknowledge that if a man had been present, he would have led the prayer, or something like that. To show she was cognizant of her role as a woman, or something else that made no sense to me.

Edited by SilverBeach
Sp
  • Upvote 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
Drala
2 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Body armor! I hated girdles with the heat of a thousand suns, those rubber smelling things. It was Iike wearing a tire! Add garters and stockings, and the torture outfit was complete. My mother said only hussies went untrussed and jiggling. No matter how big or small, girdle it was! Those were the bad old days. I still can't stand feeling restricted.

Do you remember your first bra?  I was still quite flat at 13, but my mother insisted I get this contraption to wear under my white shirts so no one could see my nipples.  (I guess she never heard of undershirts.)  I freakin' hated that thing.  One afternoon I came in the house and ripped it off, gnashed at the fabric with my teeth, then threw it down the toilet--after stomping all over it.  When 'burn your bra' came in vogue in the late 60s, I was first in line for the bonfire.

  • Upvote 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
SilverBeach
7 minutes ago, Drala said:

Do you remember your first bra?  I was still quite flat at 13, but my mother insisted I get this contraption to wear under my white shirts so no one could see my nipples.  (I guess she never heard of undershirts.)  I freakin' hated that thing.  One afternoon I came in the house and ripped it off, gnashed at the fabric with my teeth, then threw it down the toilet--after stomping all over it.  When 'burn your bra' came in vogue in the late 60s, I was first in line for the bonfire.

Yeah that was silly to make you wear something you just didn't  need. I was, uh, busty when I started developing. I remember narrow non stretch straps digging into my shoulders so bad it hurt and left contusions. I also remember  straps breaking in gym class and trying to find someone with a safety pin. It was mortifying, this undergarment insecurity. Undergarments are so much nicer now.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
devoe364
7 hours ago, JabberJabber said:

I thought exactly the same and was expecting  FJ to have im/exploded with indignant rage.

As for hats, I attend a 'high' Church of England Church and only see hats in formal occasions like wedding, funerals etc. I don't see them routinely and would  expect a person chose to wear one rather than doing it to fulfil an obligation. 

I'm Anglican Church of Canada, and we do not wear hats to church. Haven't my entire life. That said, I did attend a Puritan Church as a child, and had to wear a hat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ksgranola1

I've been down here in the south for 10 years now, but I belonged to my chirch up north for 30-odd years. I sit in the choir loft overlooking the congregation & I could swear, every week I think I see someone from home or someone I am familiar with. Few weeks ago it was the dead husband of another choir member. Spitting image. This week, it was Josie Duggar. She came up by the choir loft for the children's sermon. Same raggedy blond hair, same body shape, same age, same goofy head & a long dress.

I should get my eyes checked.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Handmaiden of Dog

When I turned 12 I was given a new outfit to wear to my Birthday treat (an outing to see a musical performed) which included gloves, lipstick, and my first girdle and fishnet stockings!  This was in August.  In Southern California.  Hot hot hot.  But that's how ubiquitous fishnet stockings were-- they were considered appropriate even for little girls.  All  through 6th grade I wore dresses and fishnet stockings (the schools had not changed the rules yet so female students had to wear dresses and skirts.)  Can you imagine a 12 year old playing on the monkey bars in a girdle and fishnets?  I laugh just thinking about it but at the same time it is a bit horrifying what society considered appropriate wear for girls.

Also in the 6th grade my mom sent me to an after school class for "finishing" (mostly grooming and posture.) We ended the 8 week class with a fashion show for our parents and the teachers of the class chose what we would model.  They gave me-- a 12 year old girl sensitive about her overly large breasts and hips-- a two piece, polka dot bathing suit to model.  I think about it now and wonder how I ever had the courage to walk down the runway.  Everyone else was modeling clothes and coats.  What the hell were they thinking?

  • Upvote 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Wolf

@Handmaiden of Dog I can't imagine what they were thinking, but you should feel proud that you were able to do it. I don't think I could have, though at that age I had nothing to show off.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Finduilas

Bloody hell guys, when I saw the title I thought J'chelle was pregnant. Don't do that to me !!! 

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
OyToTheVey
2 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

When I turned 12 I was given a new outfit to wear to my Birthday treat (an outing to see a musical performed) which included gloves, lipstick, and my first girdle and fishnet stockings!  This was in August.  In Southern California.  Hot hot hot.  But that's how ubiquitous fishnet stockings were-- they were considered appropriate even for little girls.  All  through 6th grade I wore dresses and fishnet stockings (the schools had not changed the rules yet so female students had to wear dresses and skirts.)  Can you imagine a 12 year old playing on the monkey bars in a girdle and fishnets?  I laugh just thinking about it but at the same time it is a bit horrifying what society considered appropriate wear for girls.

Also in the 6th grade my mom sent me to an after school class for "finishing" (mostly grooming and posture.) We ended the 8 week class with a fashion show for our parents and the teachers of the class chose what we would model.  They gave me-- a 12 year old girl sensitive about her overly large breasts and hips-- a two piece, polka dot bathing suit to model.  I think about it now and wonder how I ever had the courage to walk down the runway.  Everyone else was modeling clothes and coats.  What the hell were they thinking?

I know I will set womens right back like a 100 years but I kinda wish I went to finishing school. I don't posses the 'girl' gene as I call it. I hunch over, don't walk nicely, and don't get me started on clothing. No matter what I wear I don't look 'put together'. I'm always pulling and tugging. Even if I look nice I still pull and tug. So yeah that's just me. I need refinement lol

 

I'll go back to my cave now.

  • Upvote 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
princessmahina
3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I know I will set womens right back like a 100 years but I kinda wish I went to finishing school. I don't posses the 'girl' gene as I call it. I hunch over, don't walk nicely, and don't get me started on clothing. No matter what I wear I don't look 'put together'. I'm always pulling and tugging. Even if I look nice I still pull and tug. So yeah that's just me. I need refinement lol

 

I'll go back to my cave now.

It doesn't necessarily help. I went to a finishing school type thing one summer, and I still consistently look like I got caught in a wind tunnel. My posture is pretty good and I walk well (I guess?) but I attribute that to a decade of ballet classes. I sometimes wonder if some of us just aren't born a little "sloppy." Makes the boho look a breeze though :pb_lol:

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • OnceUponATime locked this topic
  • OnceUponATime unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Recent Status Updates

    • 47of74

      47of74

      Went up to the Iron Range of Minnesota last weekend to talk to guy about a job.  I ❤️ the area and hope to get said job up there.  Course got to pass the bar first but I'm really taken with the area.  And it's not an area that overall treats fuck face as the second coming or some goddamn thing.
      · 0 replies
    • HarryPotterFan

      HarryPotterFan

      Happy Shavuot to all those who celebrate! I have no idea why, but for some reason God commands us to eat ice cream. Well, dairy. So eat cheese! Eat pizza! Eat ice cream! Eat cheesecake! It has no calories because God commands us to do so!
      · 8 replies
    • Jinder Roles

      Jinder Roles

      I know it’s just a beauty contest but this is the 4th time Jamaica was snubbed in favour of 5 contestants who were clones (with the exception of Peru) 
      Still can’t believe Mexico won. Even Olivia Culpo was looking at the results confused😂
      Shoutout to Haiti, Canada, Thailand and Myanmar who were also snubbed. 
      · 0 replies
    • Mela99

      Mela99

      I really love gobs.
      · 1 reply
    • EmCatlyn

      EmCatlyn

      Tired and confused,
      · 0 replies
    • Jinder Roles

      Jinder Roles

      I've somehow invested in this year's Miss Universe pageant. After watching the prelims my favorites are: 
      1. Jamaica (naturally lol but she's doing well)
      2. Haiti (love her energy) 
      3. Great Britain 
      4. Bahamas 
      5. Canada (a beauty! absolutely stunning!)
      6. Japan (adorable) 
      7. Cameroon (also adorable w/ an amazing costume) 
      8. Myanmar (seems sweet)
      9. Vietnam 
      10. Thailand 
      11. USA (I'm rooting for everybody black lol) 
      Not a fan of these but I think they'll place: South Africa, Mexico, Columbia, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Peru, Australia, Denmark, Ireland, Dom Rep. 
      If they make Zozi (the current Ms. Universe) give the crown to a white girl from Pretoria, I will scream. 
      · 1 reply
    • WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

      WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?  »  church_of_dog

      I just made a lovely discovery! Type a colon, then a ) without any spaces. Then type a space. 
          
      I am ridiculously happy to discover this! (I also have a nagging feeling that I should have figured this out sooner...)
      · 11 replies
    • louisa05

      louisa05

      I’ve got a pack of rude sixth graders this morning. Ugh. 
      · 6 replies
    • HerNameIsBuffy

      HerNameIsBuffy

      Aren't I too old to forget to eat lunch?  
      So now....do eat a late salad and be cranky before bed because I want dinner and it's too late to eat or....do I tough out the afternoon cranky at my desk and eat dinner?  
      The dilemma is real.  
      · 3 replies
    • feministxtian

      feministxtian

      2nd Pfizer tomorrow!
      · 10 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.