IGNORED

Now Scheduling for Summer: Erika Shupe (pt. 7)

SpoonfulOSugar

On 4/21/2016 at 1:32 PM, Antimony said:

According to google, there are 10g of protein per 340 grams of spinach.

Also, 43g of protein per 140 g chicken breast.

I'm just trying to imagine how much 340 grams of spinach looks like. There are about 170 grams of it in those pre-washed bags. There's just no way. 

Not that I'm an expert or anything or a healthy eater in particular. I'm a grad student and I have my fair share of non-complete meals but nobody suffers for my dietary ineptitude except myself. But Erika is just so full of it. 

Antimony, when we were "catering" for interfaith conferences, we got huge bags (2 lbs. = 900 grams, more or less) of baby spinach.  Each sack (and we had to buy a case of 4 sacks) was about the size of a queen pillow!  Admittedly, it shrinks insanely if you cook it (1 lb. raw = about 10-12 cups torn, which cooks to about 1 cup). Other references (luvvvzzzz my Google) indicate a reasonable portion size is 1/2-1 cup cooked (and 1 cup provides only 41 calories).

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, iweartanktops said:

Right?! And what the fuck? Shupe is scrubbing the blog, and no one can notify a bitch? I can't believe one of you didn't alert me! :kitty-wink:

I really hate it when real life interferes with FJ time. Ugh. 

I'm just so glad she posted it on Facebook. I mean, a personal card from your husband should certainly be published online. :roll:

I am still shocked that of all places, she's allowed to work at a gym. 

Erika, fill us in! What's the plan? 

:popcorn2:

If it makes you feel any better, I totally thought about you after I posted. I was like, @iweartanktops is going to FREAK when she sees this! 

Since I have a bunch of time on my hands before tonight's inevitably shitty Tinder date, I have done a comparison between the blog of a few months ago and the blog today. Gone is Erika's long list of fundie/quiverfull book recommendations. She has pared it down to a few secular self help books, a couple of the Maxwell home management books, and a devotional. 

She used to have a tag used on posts called "Large Family Discipleship" which is now gone. No more "Dressing Modestly" either. 

I am definitely getting the vibe that things are changing in the Shupe household. Either that, or it was never the way she presented it as being from the beginning. 

20 hours ago, Antimony said:

I was not allowed to watch Beauty and the Beast as a child but it was a very, very secular feminist household. Other Disney films were okay'd but I don't recall loving any of them. I did, however, adore The Paper Bag Princess and the good side of princess culture in opinion is the stuff like The Royal Diaries (historical fiction, supposed diaries of Marie Antoinette, Anastasia, Cleopatra). I could read those again, I think. Maybe in the summer. 

I was allowed to watch princess movies, but didn't like them much. Except for Sleeping Beauty. I wanted to be the dragon!

1 hour ago, Seven Severn said:

Even though their area is pretty conservative I wonder if maybe Bob has the idea that he might be losing out on jobs due to Erika's nuttiness. 

This was the first thing that came to my mind, too. Or, if there is reason to think he might need to be on the job market again soon, he might want that stuff hidden as well.

2 hours ago, amandaaries said:

So I cruised over to Bob's public FB page.  He has a lot of information about gun rights, which leads to a lot of questions...  Is that why the kids aren't allowed in Bob and Erika's bedroom?  I just watched this week's Grey's Anatomy, so kids and guns are on my mind, in both inquisitive and worrisome ways.

More intriguingly, he also has a reposted meme from October which states, "I survived 'free-range parenting,'" though he also comments that he thinks he had a bit too much freedom.  Maybe Erika's loosening of the reins is coming from the headship...?  Did Bob finally decide to stand up for the kids?

Guns are common in the area.  Like I said, it is very rural.  There are plenty of predators that, if they get too hungry, will come up to houses for the easy food/prey.  Bears, wolves, coyotes, cougars, bobcats, etc.  

One of the issues in this country is that urban/suburban gun ownership =/= rural gun ownership.  There are still some places in this country where guns serve a real purpose to protect you from non-human dangers, and I don't really know of a better method to do so.  

There are a LOT of places in Sedro-Woolley especially that are not that far removed from Little House in the Big Woods.  Sure, they have indoor plumbing, electrical, internet, cable, but otherwise they are a little house isolated in an otherwise untouched forest.  And if you've never seen a forest of conifers....it isn't like forests of leafy trees.  They are dense, dark, damp, and noise is muffled by the bed of fir needles covering the ground. 

It's not uncommon at my Aunt and Uncle's house to wake up to tracks around the house.  Like right up to the house.  Out there, the things that go bump in the night have teeth and claws, and if they're hungry enough to get close, they could be hungry enough to attack.  

I am not a gun owner myself, but I sure as hell would get a gun and learn to shoot if I moved out there.  

29 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I'm sorry I failed you. Please can we still be friends? :PLEURE:

;)

I guess so... But don't let this crap happen again! :pb_lol:

10 minutes ago, defraudingjezebel said:

If it makes you feel any better, I totally thought about you after I posted. I was like, @iweartanktops is going to FREAK when she sees this! 

Since I have a bunch of time on my hands before tonight's inevitably shitty Tinder date, I have done a comparison between the blog of a few months ago and the blog today. Gone is Erika's long list of fundie/quiverfull book recommendations. She has pared it down to a few secular self help books, a couple of the Maxwell home management books, and a devotional. 

She used to have a tag used on posts called "Large Family Discipleship" which is now gone. No more "Dressing Modestly" either. 

I am definitely getting the vibe that things are changing in the Shupe household. Either that, or it was never the way she presented it as being from the beginning. 

Thanks for thinking of me! :) I can't wait to see your comparison. 

I am absolutely freaking out! I am dying to know what's going on. I have no problem believing that Erika never really bought into all of the religious stuff. As others have stated, it's likely been a way to justify her rigidity. On the other hand, Erika thinks she's right all the time, and loves to talk about how perfect she is. She seems quite smug to me. If she was moving away from the God stuff, I would expect her to flounce from the Internet before she would admit that she was wrong, or she's changing her mind. You know? I guess it's possible she's going to just scrub the blog and Facebook, and continue on like nothing ever happened. Is she dumb enough to think people won't notice or ask about it? :shrug:

I hope your date pleasantly surprises you! 

First time posting on FJ - so please let me know if I do something that is against the rules! Anyways, I was reading other forums that discuss Erika and someone mentioned that blog scrubbing/social media cleaning sometimes happens when people are getting ready to file for divorce.  Apparently it is one of the first things that attorneys tell you to do.  I wonder if something like that might be up.  I could see that being the case particularly if there was going to be a custody battle as a lot of her posts articulate a less than safe or caring treatment of her children.  

20 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Yeah, it definitely might be a matter of oversharing but my question would then be- why now, after oversharing for many years? Then again, that would explain the long-missing schedules they deleted. 

Its just strange because it seems like she's deleted almost every blog entry that was overtly religious. That seems extremely unErika-like and unFundie-like, in general. 

I wonder if she is just getting rid of a lot of the old content for new? I seem to recall some other clean up like this a couple years ago, but every thing was eventually reposted - or she could be taking them down so she can repost next year instead of having to create new content. :(

Of course, minimizing the Jesus message is weird. To me it points to monetizing. I cannot imagine Erika loosening up or admitting something she thinks is wrong. It would be like Zsucifer coming to understand that she wallows in cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy.

9 minutes ago, fundiesarefascinating said:

First time posting on FJ - so please let me know if I do something that is against the rules! Anyways, I was reading other forums that discuss Erika and someone mentioned that blog scrubbing/social media cleaning sometimes happens when people are getting ready to file for divorce.  Apparently it is one of the first things that attorneys tell you to do.  I wonder if something like that might be up.  I could see that being the case particularly if there was going to be a custody battle as a lot of her posts articulate a less than safe or caring treatment of her children.  

If this is the case, then too bad for her that the Wayback Machine exists.

27 minutes ago, fundiesarefascinating said:

Welcome! Hang around and you'll get the hang of things in no time.

Well, Bob just gave her that thoughtful card which was just the Best. Thing. Ever. so divorce kinda seems like a stretch, but who knows how these people think. ::shrug::

I feel weirdly important about being the one to break the news of the major scrubbing. Thank fuck I get bored late at night and decide to browse the blog! 

I've had the feeling that all was not right in Shupe land for quite some time. That birthday card where one of the kids wrote that she appreciated daddy not leaving the family or some such stuff really bothered me. 

There's gotta be something up!

23 hours ago, princessmahina said:

She doesn't teach her children to critically think though. She teaches them that they should just believe everything they read. In that context, her children may not be able to separate what a real relationship looks like and what a bodice ripper tells you a relationship should look like. A normal person is totally able to read romance novels and be able to have healthy, normal relationships. A Shupe, or other fundie, girl might not. 

I wasn't homeschooled, but I was *definitely* indoctrinated. I couldn't help myself from thinking critically (though I didn't know what it was at the time); I just knew that most of the time I asked questions, I ended up getting abused either verbally or physically or both. I used to pray that I'd "get it" because I was so *unlike* my family .... I hate it for the Shupe kids to have to work this out, but you can't stop anyone's brain from thinking!!! You can't just turn it off!

3 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I wonder if Erika is thinking of consolidating her posts into a book and wants to hide the insanity so the book would have a wider audience. I wouldn't put it past her now that she has sister moms to take care of/ "productively occupy" the littles.

#fundieconspiracytheories

I actually came here to say this.  Team Princess's Fundie Conspiracy!

3 hours ago, seattlechic said:

Mr. Chic got me a card that says "I like you more than french fries". Does that qualify me or is he failing at lovin'????

Well, I guess that depends on whether he likes french fries.

3 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Gone is Erika's long list of fundie/quiverfull book recommendations. She has pared it down to a few secular self help books, a couple of the Maxwell home management books, and a devotional. 

We've known for a long time that she can scrub, but Erika is truly cleaning house with the blog right now. So curious about what is up in the Shupe household these days... :popcorn:

You can all breathe easily: She left up the post where she talks about her beauty regime. So if you get the urge to recreate her look (or need to know more about how she grates her feet every week), you still can.

*beam*

3 hours ago, fundiesarefascinating said:

I wonder if their marriage is rocky. They are estranged from his parents ( wonder if that blog post is up), Karen has a job, she hasn't been posting on Facebook as much. Maybe Bob has given her some ultimatums. 

Oh to be a fly on the wall in their home...

Holy cow! She took down the blog posts about Bobs parents not following their wishes about the kids.

:ABON: And she's scrubbed any mention of Harry Potter! There is nothing on her blog or her FB page anymore about the evils of fictional witchcraft and wizardry.

I feel like the earth just shifted a little under my feet. 

Maybe this is a meltdown stemming all the way back to the miscarriage...  

3 hours ago, fundiesarefascinating said:

Welcome! It's great to have more interest in the Shupes! I don't personally think a divorce is imminent, but I also don't think it's a happy marriage. This is so fascinating! 

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I've had the feeling that all was not right in Shupe land for quite some time. That birthday card where one of the kids wrote that she appreciated daddy not leaving the family or some such stuff really bothered me. 

There's gotta be something up!

I forgot about that! So sad. 

27 minutes ago, withaj said:

The anticipation surrounding this is EVEN BETTER than waiting to see if Jill Rodrigues successfully grifted a house.

It really is! I'm so excited! I can't really say I have a solid theory... I'm able to poke holes in each one I think of. @AliceInFundyland. May be on to something regarding a meltdown, though...

:dance::popcorn2:

I just hope the kids are okay. 

6 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Yup. After my dad's suicide in December, someone had to come clean up the scene. Not just clean up though, they ripped up the room down to the studs. If Bob is doing that type of work,I don't envy him. 

:hugs: Sorry. My "dad" (closest to a father figure I ever had, step dad more or less) killed himself in August 2010. I still struggle with it today,

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

You can all breathe easily: She left up the post where she talks about her beauty regime. So if you get the urge to recreate her look (or need to know more about how she grates greats her feet every week), you still can.

*beam*

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived