IGNORED

Has this Family been discussed? Harger family

Lawsome

Here's an interesting one, not quite huge, so I'm not sure if they're quiverful (or just young and starting out, and not quite as fertile as the rest), but here's the basics.

Family of four, oldest son with a chronic disease (Eosinophilic Esophagitis), in which they have shunned traditional medical care and decided to treat with the Gerson method. Homeschooling of course (though mom apparently was a teacher for some time). What's more, dad quit his stable job as a firefighter, and the whole family moved to South Africa to minister to the people there (teaching them farming and hygiene apparently). This doesn't exactly sound like a fabulous idea to me when your kid has a super-rare genetic disease. Of course, they need donations to fund their ministry.

http://www.nomuck.com

and on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/NoMuck1/

i had to google what the gerson method was and just...what? is this a real thing? from the http://gerson.org/gerpress/the-gerson-therapy/:

The Gerson Therapy regenerates the body to health, supporting each important metabolic requirement by flooding the body with nutrients from about 15- 20 pounds of organically-grown fruits and vegetables daily. Most is used to make fresh raw juice, up to one glass every hour, up to 13 times per day. Raw and cooked solid foods are generously consumed. Oxygenation is usually more than doubled, as oxygen deficiency in the blood contributes to many degenerative diseases. The metabolism is also stimulated through the addition of thyroid, potassium and other supplements, and by avoiding heavy animal fats, excess protein, sodium and other toxins.

and how are missionaries sustaining this lifestyle? 15-20 pounds of fruit and vegetables per DAY?

I have a friend with Eosinophilic esophagitis, and there isn't really any treatment besides eliminating triggers. If the trigger is food (which it sounds like it must be for this boy), then all you can do is eliminate that particular food. I haven't heard of the Gerson method, but it sounds pretty brutal, I can't imagine keeping a child on that diet long term. But if it allows the boy to live normally I can see why the family would be committed to it. 

They were on Anderson Cooper? Hmm...must do some more digging.

@Lawsome, thank you for the introduction to this family! I'm so excited to go down a new rabbit hole! It already sounds like it's full of whatthefuckery! :dance:

7 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

i had to google what the gerson method was and just...what? is this a real thing? from the http://gerson.org/gerpress/the-gerson-therapy/:

and how are missionaries sustaining this lifestyle? 15-20 pounds of fruit and vegetables per DAY?

I have a family member who is very into it. He also does coffee enemas???

2 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I have a family member who is very into it. He also does coffee enemas???

That sounds...energizing. :pb_eek:

My son has Eosinophilic Esophagitis - this makes me stabby.  There are two ways to treat EoE - dietary elimination (works for those who a. can figure out their triggers and b. are 100% vigilant about avoiding them) and swallowed steroids.  I am not against alternative medicine - one of my son's allergists is a world-renowned Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner and researcher.  However...if one more person in a support group suggests coffee enemas or essential oils, I'm going to lose eyeball function from rolling them too hard.  :pb_rollseyes:

Woah!  Clicked on the link and about fell out of my chair.  The little blonde girl could have been my daughter when she was that age.  Looks exactly the heck like her. 

Archived