IGNORED

Senate Blocks Interracial, Interfaith Marriages (SB 180)

doggie

32 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

I find it fascinating too, but find it good that it's talked about. In places like Germany, it's taboo to discuss. People will claim that race isn't an issue, and then go out of their way to explain why. But that doesn't make the issues go away. It doesn't even hide them. It just makes them difficult to discuss. And we need a frank and open discussion!

To some degree, race is in our faces every day. Darker/lighter skin colour, eyes which have/haven't an epicanthic fold, both are used to define people on sight. To ignore this is wilfully ignorant. But we can try to educate people that these external signals of difference are actually irrelevant, and that our common humanity should overcome any prejudice caused by them. I feel that is a more positive approach than to pretend it  - racism on sight - doesn't exist.

This is ridiculous. Technically my husband and I are both "mixed race". I'm Latina and we're a crazy ass mix of "white", middle-eastern (thank you Moors), and Native American (the conquistadores fucked anything and everything). My husband is "white" and Native American. My DIL is black/Native American/White. My grandson is all of the above. WTF is WRONG with people. 

6 hours ago, Alicja said:

um, Romani people are most definitely not considered white in Europe...

That's true in that they are seen as "The Other" in much of Europe and suffer discrimination according.   In the UK they are a protected group under the Race Discrimination Act (2010) as are Travellers (who are white but suffer the same sort of discrimination that the Roma do)

I'm guessing that this bill is also aimed at ensuring LBGT people can be legally treated like shit again.  As well as the brown and non Christians.

My friend has been in a mixed race relationship for about 25 years.  She says it isn't a much of an issue to people as it used to be, but occasionally she'll still get wait staff who don't want to wait on them which seems pretty damn stupid, given what I know about her tipping habits and their income.   

I guess in Kentucky, they would be protected.  I suppose they could ask them to leave.

I have another friend, in a non mixed race marriage, that had a pre-nup that listed states she would not live... Kentucky was on that list.  (as was Oklahoma and Texas... )

Well, there go or plans to retire to Kentucky.  DH is Mexican, I am white (Polish/Czech heritage) and our kids are bi-racial.  

When we travel, we never had a problem in Kentucky.  Georgia, OTOH....don't get hubby started. 

11 hours ago, Alicja said:

um, Romani people are most definitely not considered white in Europe...

In the US, they are.    In Europe, they're barely considered to be people.

My dad was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky and there was this one section of the county that was noted for their interracial marriages.

http://coeridge.com

This is totally leaving out the Southern Appalachian's Melungeon population. 

Melungeon

In the US, they are.    In Europe, they're barely considered to be people.

Very true. What a sick world we live in.

Ok, resident Kentuckian here and reporting for duty. 

Note before I begin:  I am NOT defending this proposed legislation, just offering facts. 

1. This is a bill. It is not law. It has not passed even one chamber, much less both. Four cosponsors, possibly all on the committee that sent it to the Senate. Btw, it's been assigned to the Rules Committee aka where bills are sent to die. 

2. I don't get why everyone has seized on the interracial marriage aspect of this. It's in response to a local case of discrimination against gay folk, specifically a tee shirt company that refused to print shirts for the gay pride festival. Still horrible and disgusting to discriminate, but it's not specifically targeted at interracial couples (though I'm sure bigots would be happy to use it for that reason). Indiana has similar legislation that actually became law a few years ago and it brought major national negative attention 

3. This is more personal but it gets a little old to see the stereotypes perpetuated about my state. I know that many think we're all inbred backwoods uneducated racist hicks, some comments have alluded to it here. I'm tired of it, y'all. Yes, we have our share of crazies but so does everywhere else. I dare say if you look in most of your legislative records you'll find all sorts of insane bills proposed each session. 

If I missed something, I'm sorry. I'm tired. 

@Kylolo, thank you for your post.  Thank you for setting us straight about the proposed bill.

My parents met when they were both students at Berea.  Berea admitted with women and people of color from the beginning.  When the state of Kentucky passed the Day Law in the early 1900s mandated segregation even in private schools and colleges, Berea took some of its endowment and started a college for black students in Louisville.  When the Day Law was amended in 1950, black students were once again admitted to Berea.  The college's motto is from Acts 17:26:  "God has made of one blood all the peoples of the earth."

Update, for anyone interested:

One horrid human being in the state Senate forced a floor vote today on an amended version which was passed by the senate. Here's a link which has links to the original and the amendment (SFA): http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/16RS/SB180.htm

It now goes to the House where it really will die. The KY House is the last chamber in the south still under Democratic control, it will not pass. 

Re: the amendment, it basically says anything open to the public can't discriminate. I'm not sure what the point of the bill is now. The lead sponsor has publicly stated this was to override local fairness ordinances but the way I read the amendment it wouldn't do that. 

I've read a lot of legislation, even written some, and this is the most convoluted thing I've seen. I'm still not sure what the point of the original bill was since it focused on essentially creative products; I guess it really would've protected the Jewish baker from having to make a nazi cake (argument used on the floor today) but not the corner gas station from selling to black folk. 

Anyway, that's the update from my front row seat in the commonwealth  

On 3/14/2016 at 7:23 PM, PennySycamore said:

My dad was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky

My family and I are from there as well. 

I cannot even begin to imagine how this is even happening in 2016, be it about interracial marriage, gay people, purple people eaters, whatever. Of course, I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who's lived in Louisville most of her life. There's probably lots of things that would make these people's hair curl but I'd just be like, "NBD" about. So embarrassed. Maybe I should change my location to "The state where maybe more of us are like Kim Davis than I thought." :my_cry:

20 hours ago, Kylolo said:

I dare say if you look in most of your legislative records you'll find all sorts of insane bills proposed each session. 

This is where I wish KY could be different and spend more time and money on important things like education. Instead of making ridiculous bills that won't pass or videoing an empty chamber to insinuate politicians weren't working when they were working in another room. 

13 minutes ago, wildcatgrrl said:

My family and I are from there as well. 

I cannot even begin to imagine how this is even happening in 2016, be it about interracial marriage, gay people, purple people eaters, whatever. Of course, I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who's lived in Louisville most of her life. There's probably lots of things that would make these people's hair curl but I'd just be like, "NBD" about. So embarrassed. Maybe I should change my location to "The state where maybe more of us are like Kim Davis than I thought." :my_cry:

I hate to break it to you but there are plenty of folks in Louisville who think like this. He'll there's one on your metro council. We'd like to pretend they don't exist in our cities...but they do.

Signed, 

fellow Wildcat, and Lexington native where we have an openly gay mayor who under the bill could be denied services in his own city 

Just now, Kylolo said:

I hate to break it to you but there are plenty of folks in Louisville who think like this. He'll there's one on your metro council. We'd like to pretend they don't exist in our cities...but they do.

Signed, 

fellow Wildcat, and Lexington native where we have an openly gay mayor who under the bill could be denied services in his own city 

Oh, I know. That's just my perspective and why I have it, is what I'm saying. I know there are assholes everywhere. Just saying I think the bigger cities and college cities may be somewhat less prone to it. I think, for instance, an openly gay mayoral candidate might have a very hard time getting elected in some KY cities/towns. Not because no one would vote for him, mind you. I know there are also open-minded, sensible people everywhere. 

Archived