IGNORED

Jeb Bush is dropping out of the race

47of74

Get the toilet ready for another FLUSH.

BushFlush.jpg

cnn.com/2016/02/20/politics/jeb-bush-drops-out-2016/index.html

Jeb Bush is suspending his campaign for the Republican nomination, he announced Saturday night.

Bush struggled for months to make inroads against Donald Trump, who constantly mocked the former Florida governor's "low energy" and for spending tens of millions of dollars on his campaign.

But it was Bush's disappointing finish in South Carolina, where his brother, former President George W. Bush, and mother, former first lady Barbara Bush, campaigned for him, that was the final straw.

"The people of Iowa and New Hampshire and South Carolina have spoken and I really respect their decision, so tonight I am suspending my campaign," Bush said, before being overtaken by emotion.

Well, at least we aren't going to have a 3rd Bush in the White House.

I'm waiting on Trump to drop now.

I'll be honest, Jeb dropping out makes me sad in a way. He was one of the few GOP candidates who didn't completely terrify me. I mean, the GOP has to nominate someone, so wouldn't you prefer it be Kasich, Christie, or Bush?

I guess there's the other tactic of wanting Trump or Carson to win the nomination so that it's easier for the Dem to beat them. That's just too close to comfort for my taste though. 

Kasich is the only nominee left who doesn't completely and utterly scare the crap out of me (I guess Rubio after that? But not really). I don't remember when it was this bad before. I certainly wasn't a Romney fan, but he didn't inspire the fear these ones do. 

I was never a fan of Jeb Bush or the Bush family in general, but I think Jeb is basically a decent person.  I don't agree with the Republican philosophy  (such as trickle-down economics, small government --except when it's about my lady parts, and the stereotypes about poor folk) but... again, I think Jeb was someone who is at least willing to work with other government officials and politicians whose views differed from his.  He was more realistic than some.  The talking heads agreed that he killed his chances when he talked about immigration reform being compassionate. 

The contrast between Jeb's speech ending his campaign (it was sad) and Trump's victorious speech was profound. And so unsettling that I am literally grieving for our country than a percentage of citizens actually want Trump to lead our country. 

Trump was all  "me me me"... look at my family and then more "me me me"  and "we're winning by so much"  and of course... "I hate the pundits", "let's boo the journalists in the back of the room" and oh, yeah "me  me me".  Nothing about what inspires him.

No vision, except he'll make everything great again but with nothing concrete....not even the slightest detail of "how".  

His talk about repealing ObamaCare (on "day one" of course) infuriates me.   Yup, the House has already voted to repeal, like, 200 times.  

First off, ObamaCare is NOT an insurance policy. Yes: costs continue to rise but that would be happening with or without the Affordable Care Act/Obama Care.   There are structural problems with pharma costs, facilities cost, and cost shifting (i.e. Medicare and Medicaid do not reimburse physicians enough, so the providers shift these unreimbursed costs over to the employer-based and self-insured plans).   Complex and difficult problems that the Donald cannot be bothered to study or understand.  Nor can his supporters.   

DONALD HEAR ME NOW:    "Obama Care" is a system in which people who lack insurance through their employer can purchase coverage via a marketplace of private insurers.  If they cannot afford the full cost, subsidies are available.  If they are really poor (and they live in a state where the governor is not a cruel a-hole Republican) they may quality for Medicaid.

ObamaCare is also a series of laws, which, among other things, 1)  remove the pre-existing condition limitation so people can actually GET insurance even when they've had, say, cancer  2) remove lifetime limits so that if you have a terrible illness or a premature infant, your insurance won't get all used up before you die  3) provide standard coverage for things like birth control and 4) allow young adults to remain on parents' insurance policy for an extended period of time.  

But Trump just yammers and blabs and bloviates that he's going to replace it with something HUGE ... something SO MUCH BETTER THAT WILL COVER EVERYONE (but no raising taxes).  

Oh yeah and our military will be the biggest baddest thing EVER and no one will mess with us.   OK.  

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Kasich is the only nominee left who doesn't completely and utterly scare the crap out of me (I guess Rubio after that? But not really). I don't remember when it was this bad before. I certainly wasn't a Romney fan, but he didn't inspire the fear these ones do. 

Ehhhh I'm frightened about Kasich's record on reproductive rights. Still, he's not quite as crazy as some.

Carson is running to make money, from what I understand.

But all around, it's like this meme said: "It's like it's the final season of America and the writers are going crazy"

Kasich is scarier to me than most of the others because he actually has a chance of being elected.  He *looks* so normal.  *Acts* so normal.  But he's not. . . . .

Two years later, in June 2013, the same month Wendy Davis stood in the Texas statehouse for 11 hours filibustering a bill threatening to close 88 percent of her state’s 42 abortion providers, Kasich quietly signed a budget with some of Ohio’s most stringent abortion and family planning clauses — another six measures. Unlike Davis and the Texas measures, which received ample national media attention, Kasich’s budget flew under the radar. There was no YouTube live stream, no protesters cheering and singing, no infamous pink sneakers. Just a flick of a pen and some smiles for the local reporters.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/john-kasichs-quiet-campaign-to-cut-abortion-access/

On 21/02/2016 at 6:06 AM, ShepherdontheRock said:

How on earth do you make money running for president? Am I missing something? Or is he just wanting to become president because it's well paid?

On 2/21/2016 at 11:06 PM, ShepherdontheRock said:

Ehhhh I'm frightened about Kasich's record on reproductive rights. Still, he's not quite as crazy as some.

I don't believe this, as a renowned pediatric neurologist his income has exceeded the presidential salary several times over, more than likely.

@OnceUponATime, @Silver Beach what I mean is, I'm of the understanding that Ben Carson is running not so he can win but so he can pocket campaign money. I think a lot of the candidates are.

In fact, I get the feeling Trump initially just wanted money too.

Ah, I didn't know that was a possibility. I wonder how lucrative that is after you pay all your staffers (I'm assuming they're paid) and campaign expenses.

In my house the republican primaries are now referred to as the "race to insanity"

On February 21, 2016 at 6:59 PM, nausicaa said:

I'll be honest, Jeb dropping out makes me sad in a way. He was one of the few GOP candidates who didn't completely terrify me. I mean, the GOP has to nominate someone, so wouldn't you prefer it be Kasich, Christie, or Bush?

I guess there's the other tactic of wanting Trump or Carson to win the nomination so that it's easier for the Dem to beat them. That's just too close to comfort for my taste though. 

Agree completely. I disagreed with his politics, but Bush at least seemed like a decent, respectful human being. While the big three who are left, particularly Cruz and Trump, seem to be doing everything possible to prove who can be the biggest asshole.  Like the recent minor dust up over the fake ad of Rubio shaking Obama's hand. It turned out to be photo shopped - but the idea that this was a bad thing? Crazy! Umm......he's a fucking United States Senator being polite to the current President. Isn't that kind of a basic expectation? Hell, you'd correct  a 7 year old for being rude to a kid they didn't like at a birthday party -- but a Senator should be rude to the president??? What would they like? Should he pull his hand back and say " psych!" ? Mad dog him? Go in like he's going to shake his hand and sucker punch him instead? It's insane. How would these people deal with domestic or international issues if they think being civil to people you disagree with is a bad thing?

Im also really torn between hoping for a Kasich  or Rubio ( who I think would be more moderate in practice than in the primaries ) , because they aren't as terrifying. --- And hoping its Trump or Bush because they would be easier to beat. I'm getting more and more worried that Trump would win  in the general though.....scary

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

Like the recent minor dust up over the fake ad of Rubio shaking Obama's hand. It turned out to be photo shopped - but the idea that this was a bad thing? Crazy! Umm......he's a fucking United States Senator being polite to the current President. Isn't that kind of a basic expectation? Hell, you'd correct  a 7 year old for being rude to a kid they didn't like at a birthday party -- but a Senator should be rude to the president??? What would they like? Should he pull his hand back and say " psych!" ? Mad dog him? Go in like he's going to shake his hand and sucker punch him instead? It's insane. How would these people deal with domestic or international issues if they think being civil to people you disagree with is a bad thing?

OMG, the stupid handshake non-controversy. I can't believe it's come to the point that we would criticize someone for this. And exactly, any of those people would (hopefully) admonish their child for being that rude to another child. It also goes to show just how divisive Trump and Cruz intend to be if elected. 

Christie had a handshaking controversy during Sandy.  To his credit he didn't back down when other Republicans went nuts.  Cruz probably had the ad done to go after Christie and just photoshopped Rubio in at the last minute.  

I'm a lifelong democrat and Bush was starting to grow on me, too.  He seemed smarter than his brother.  I am starting to get the impression that the money people are getting nervous that Trump or Cruz will get the nomination and they won't be able to cut through the crazy to get their agenda through.

Life long moderate Independent.  While the idea of Bush 3.0 in the White House didn't thrill me, Bush was the lesser of the batshit crazy Republican contenders.  I honestly think there will be a GOP in the White House.

Stephen Colbert does segment called The Hungry For Power Games (it's a Hunger Games parody) where he mourns the loss of another "tribute" (candidate). Here's the segment on Jeb:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Archived