IGNORED

Chaviva Gets FB Verified, Decides to Endanger Other Drivers

mystikchick17

Facebook apparently now lets verified users access a live video feature called Facebook Mentions. So of course, Chaviva decides to celebrate and test out the new function. While driving.

You can tell that she's repeatedly looking at the camera and tracking her stats, and while she starts off while at an intersection (stupidly dangerous in and of itself), she then continues to record and look at the camera while driving.

I'm honestly speechless. I cannot get over the absolute selfishness of deciding you're going to test out a new live video stream option while driving. Not only is she putting her own life at risk, she's actively endangering the other drivers on the road with this stupidity. I'm sure she'll be here when Shabbat is over to tell us that she wasn't really distracted, but I'm going to preemptively call bullshit on that. There is ample evidence that technology in cars is a distraction that can impair our driving abilities without us even realizing it. Do what you want on your own time, but you do not have the right to potentially kill other people just because you couldn't wait to try out some new Facebook feature. 

Watch for yourself here, because of course she made the post public. https://www.facebook.com/Kvetchingeditor/videos/10102292792272873/

I just can't. This really couldn't wait until she got home or after Shabbos or whatever? I hope her kid wasn't in the car.

OK, dating myself seriously here. But back when I was working as a nurse, with an Olde-Fashioned Pager (pre-cheap cell phones), staff were ordered to page for questions about meds.  If they didn't get a callback within 10 minutes, standing orders were to page again.  If no answer to second page in 10 minutes, protocol was to start telephoning the backup listed numbers--and you didn't stop phoning and paging till you got a registered nurse available, voice-to-voice, to deal with patient concerns or med issues.

In several years of taking one HECK of a lot of on-call time, can remember maybe two cases where the on-call nurse COULD not manage to get to a pay phone (remember those?) or a group home to respond to a call within the first 10-minute margin. (Even when travelling within the DC metro system underground, the second page went through OK between stations.)

It wasn't that freaking hard to hear a pager go off and to swerve off-road to find a phone to respond to a question about a patient's health and well-being. Will someone, ANYONE, please explain to me what the bleep is so important about FB rankings that it requires live-time monitoring, while you are handling a one-ton-or-more vehicle at 30+ miles per hour? 

Archived