IGNORED

Evangelical Minister Supports Bernie Sanders

PraiseDog

This guy is a Liberty University graduate and a Christian therapist.  He saw Bernie's speech at LU, and he's now convinced that the Christian thing to do is to support Bernie.  Here's an audio of his sermon about it, it's pretty interesting:

https://clyp.it/eusxalwe

His argument is more emotional than incisively logical (to be expected with this crowd, I guess) but if it gets a segment of conservative Christians to support Bernie, I'll take it.  

Next, I'd like to hear these guys do a sermon on why conservative Christians should support environmental causes, based on the "not shitting all over the gift God gave you" argument.

• 3 weeks later...

Most fundies vote based on their holy trinity of "pro-life", "pro-guns" and "anti-gay"...this guy is appealing to what will hook them...my favorite passage in the bible, Matthew 25:31-46. In that passage, Jesus lays out exactly what you gotta do if you expect to go to heaven and it has nothing to do with hate, prejudice, violence or any of the other thing fundies are so well known for. I know of a few people who have changed their minds from Trump, Cruz and Rubio because of this speech. I'll take it! 

1 hour ago, mamallama said:

Wow who would have thought Liberty could turn out Christians that actually follow Christ.  Interesting.

I'm an LU grad too...it's not quite the fundie mill that folks think it is...BS Biblical Studies 2012 (online)

Sorry If I offended.  I definately do associate it with fundies.  I do hope he causes others to rething their support of politicians who preach hate.

6 hours ago, mamallama said:

Sorry If I offended.  I definately do associate it with fundies.  I do hope he causes others to rething their support of politicians who preach hate.

Honestly, the theology department is MUCH less fundamentalist than you'd think. I royally pissed off some fundie classmates when I called the first 3 chapters of Genesis a creation myth. HOWEVER...I got shocked to my boots when my professor defended me. Not everyone takes the baloney in Convocation seriously. Not everyone agrees with the University head-honchos. All in all it was a good education. The profs were amazing, and I learned SO much. 

On 2/22/2016 at 10:20 AM, feministxtian said:

Honestly, the theology department is MUCH less fundamentalist than you'd think. I royally pissed off some fundie classmates when I called the first 3 chapters of Genesis a creation myth. HOWEVER...I got shocked to my boots when my professor defended me. Not everyone takes the baloney in Convocation seriously. Not everyone agrees with the University head-honchos. All in all it was a good education. The profs were amazing, and I learned SO much. 

Just out of curiosity, did these folks understand that "myth" has meanings other than "a lie"? Because it seems to me that "creation myth" is a pretty accurate and even non-judgmental description of Genesis (as is calling all other Christian theology a myth) once it's understood that you're not using the "lie" meaning of the word.

My prof had to explain to some serious fundie what I meant by myth. It was interesting and I think the fundie ended up dropping out. Prof later emailed me and complemented me on my thought processes. I worked my ass off for that degree, it was no joke

Archived