IGNORED

Black Fundies

iheartchacos

As a black girl, I'm always interested in black families. I know about the Bauchman's and I used to read Teri, Breathing Grace.

Any other blogs out there I can add to my feed?

Me, too! I don't know of any black fundie blogs, but the Sprinkle family often posts on LFOP Facebook page. 

I'd be interested too, but I get the impression that on-site fundies in general are not as much into blogging as their white counterparts. In the case of black fundies, the vast majority of them have their own denominations and para-church organizations, and essentially operate in a different universe than white fundies. There are some really wild groups out there that are only found in black communities, but don't have a web presence. 

A girl named Mia used to have a stay at home daughter blog. She was actually really likable (artsy, non-judgmental) and it seemed like she and her sister spent the majority of their lives living as if it were 1907.

Last I heard though she had moved on from this, and was either working or going to college. I believe she popped on here for a Fundie Friday once. 

I know there's someone else too; the name's on the tip of my tongue but I just can't think of it.

@Cleopatra7 What are "on-site fundies"? Like religious groups that live in their own communities a la YFZ ranch? I would be interested in more discussions of Nation of Yahweh and other groups like that as well. 

I think the reason you don't see too many black fundie bloggers is because they don't have the same outward focus as white fundies. White fundies want to "take back America" and eventually the world, whereas black fundies are really only interested in policing the parameters of their own communities. Case in point is this COGIC (Church of God in Christ, a black Pentecostal denomination) blog about fighting against black LGBT Christians, complete with testimonials from "ex-gays":

http://gcmwatch.com/category/cogic/

On 1/11/2016 at 10:03 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

I'd be interested too, but I get the impression that on-site fundies in general are not as much into blogging as their white counterparts. In the case of black fundies, the vast majority of them have their own denominations and para-church organizations, and essentially operate in a different universe than white fundies. There are some really wild groups out there that are only found in black communities, but don't have a web presence. 

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I think the reason you don't see too many black fundie bloggers is because they don't have the same outward focus as white fundies. White fundies want to "take back America" and eventually the world, whereas black fundies are really only interested in policing the parameters of their own communities. Case in point is this COGIC (Church of God in Christ, a black Pentecostal denomination) blog about fighting against black LGBT Christians, complete with testimonials from "ex-gays":

http://gcmwatch.com/category/cogic/

Both of these are true. Most of what I was raised in would be considered fundie by FJ standards but there isn't much of a web presence (save a few youtube videos here and there). 

It should be noted that most of the split between black & white baptist denominations was over matters of race, not doctrine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect another reason you don't see too many retro style hardcore fundie blogs by black folks is that there is a massive amount of history fantasy and idealization of the past involved in writing them. They all look back to a "better, simpler time". I am not black but I suspect that while individual people might have wonderful memories of their family and the black communities they grew upin , there is very little desire to re-create the past their people lived through.

The white folks who write these blogs want to "take America back"  and by back they essentially mean back to when white men where in charge of every thing and everyone. Of course, the women always imagine they would be the stay at home status symbol that was only the domain of upper middle class and rich women. They never imagine they are the women of poor families who worked outside the home as maids, teachers, in factories etc.They always assume that the experience of the most privileged men and women in the most privileged race would be their place in society if America returned to the past.

When considering what returning America to the good old days would look like for black folks I find it easy to understand why there aren't too many who fantasize or idealize that era. It would be difficult to pretend the past is a vastly better place when your granny or great granny is around to tell you about how she wasn't even allowed to use the restroom in many public buildings.

22 hours ago, frugaldreams said:

I suspect another reason you don't see too many retro style hardcore fundie blogs by black folks is that there is a massive amount of history fantasy and idealization of the past involved in writing them. They all look back to a "better, simpler time". I am not black but I suspect that while individual people might have wonderful memories of their family and the black communities they grew upin , there is very little desire to re-create the past their people lived through.

The white folks who write these blogs want to "take America back"  and by back they essentially mean back to when white men where in charge of every thing and everyone. Of course, the women always imagine they would be the stay at home status symbol that was only the domain of upper middle class and rich women. They never imagine they are the women of poor families who worked outside the home as maids, teachers, in factories etc.They always assume that the experience of the most privileged men and women in the most privileged race would be their place in society if America returned to the past.

When considering what returning America to the good old days would look like for black folks I find it easy to understand why there aren't too many who fantasize or idealize that era. It would be difficult to pretend the past is a vastly better place when your granny or great granny is around to tell you about how she wasn't even allowed to use the restroom in many public buildings.

Very well said. I also have a theory that black people, if they have at all experienced racism/bigotry/cruelty by white people in their lives (and let's face it, that's probably everyone) grow up more compassionate and aware of issues around them. For white people I think it is more easy to live their lives in ivory towers.  

Archived