IGNORED

Kelly @GC once again making a fool of herself

Effie

quoting from desertvixen:

"I'm pretty sure the guy who said "Let the little children come to me" would gladly have given them free breakfast (fish and loaves, anyone?)"

This. So This. And I quite unexpectedly have tears in my eyes.

Resent a child having breakfast and lunch at school ? For shame.

And I'm seconding your this!! Makes me want to cry as well. Kelly is a disgusting, heartless person.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

she's complaining coz her homeschooled kids don't even get to take advantage of it while she's paying for it. She's a stupid person. Let her know hunger and we'll talk about it later.

she's complaining coz her homeschooled kids don't even get to take advantage of it while she's paying for it.

Well, that's an easy fix! Send the kids to public school and I'm pretty sure they'd qualify for it.

I'm really just waiting for them to try some sort of "Christian/homeschooling/anti-evil-liberal-government" tax exemption and have some success with it.

The way students pay for lunch in my district is by punching in their student number at POS. So I put a certain amount of money in each of our sons' accounts and they buy lunch against that balance. When it runs low, I get an email and I can replenish it again. For kids on free/reduced, they are handled no differently. They punch in their number and it looks the same as anyone else. No one would know who is on free/reduced and who is not. No money or cards of any sort are used.

I grew up way below the poverty line. I am so thankful for programs that feed and dress little children who otherwise would have nothing because I was one of those kids. The experience of growing up that way stays with me. Looks to me like if Kelly wanted to learn mercy, she's had her lesson. Too bad she didn't learn...

And of course she has to validate her idiotic statements by adding that she's seen soooo many families where the kids are spoiled little jerks that treat their mothers like the hired help. To echo the sentiments of other people at various other times concerning other bloggers--no you haven't Kelly, you're just making stuff up--again. She is not around "those kinds of families" because she has probably chosen to only associate with people just like her. Kelly probably goes to the grocery store or the mall and sees kids driving nice cars, using various expensive electronic gadgets, and assumes that they're all spoiled and entitled, and they have overly indulgent parents. Of course those types of kids and parents do exist. But maybe that kid she sees driving around in the nice car is driving her parents' car to her after school job, or running errands for mom. Maybe that kid with the expensive MP3 player actually worked for it, either by earning the money to buy it or earning the item itself through good grades or extra household chores But of course Kelly would never take those things into consideration, because that wouldn't fit in with her way of thinking.

Kelly is a giant asshole.

I'm pretty sure the guy who said "Let the little children come to me" would gladly have given them free breakfast (fish and loaves, anyone?)

Let's face it, a lot of people don't have enough. If you look at the military, even - we have members on food stamps and at least on the base I'm on, we're having a serious problem keeping the food locker full. Not "ramping up for Thanksgiving" but keeping it full on a regular basis. Now, yes, some of these families are in a bad economic fix because of decisions made or NOT made about family size, a spouse staying at home and not earning a wage, etc, but it is NOT THE KIDS' FAULT.

I agree with this children should not suffer in those cases.

I think it's different in the US - our social programs and foreclosure crisis are worse, and I don't think we have as much subsidized child care, so we have more kids in charge of kids in the mornings before school.

I'm sure neglect and abuse are a big chunk of it, but feeding the elementary aged kids helps the whole family, sometimes even the neglectful parent, who may be spending all of the money on drugs and also not eating.

[sNIP]

I am not sure it matters to me why kids aren't fed at home, in terms of what we should do about it. When the food goes directly to kids it bypasses neglectful or abusive parents. Can you imagine what Kelly would do if she had little food in the house and someone gave her food for her kids? I'm going to guess it's not "Feed them joyfully until they are full and feel loved and valued."

It seems like the Christian response to hungry kids would be to FEED THEM, and I'm sure that happens, but just in general someone's going to take on the project. Where districts don't do free food programs, teachers and PTAs take it up themselves - in my hometown, where there is no school breakfast but most of the kids get subsidized lunches, there were usually a case or two a year of middle-school-aged kids saving most of their food to take home to siblings not yet old enough for school, and the teachers organize food backpacks for those families when they notice it. And here, the city parks department has free lunches for kids (18 and under) all summer because of the marked increase in child hunger when school is out of session.

I think the distinction does matter: If a kid isn't eating because his parents can't afford it, that's one problem, and the solution is to feed him. If he's not eating because his mom took off for the week on a bender, that's another, and the solution is to feed him and get him into care.

ITA that food programs are important and are doing great things. I just thought it was interesting because a lot of people are like, "Kids aren't hungry anymore because we have food programs at schools. Child poverty problem solved!".

What this researcher says is that the underlying causes of food insecurity aren't being addressed because we think that school nutrition programs are alleviating child poverty and therefore are enough. They're not. She suggests reducing housing prices and setting prices on staple foods for the poor as ways of reducing food insecurity and addressing issues of poverty in Canada.

Anyway, Kelly would probably take food as long as it was from Christians who didn't pay taxes and refused school lunches themselves. UGH.

Those are both good solutions. I just think things are worse here, and going through the schools is one of the few hopes we have of doing any antipoverty work at all. Not because we think it's solved, because most people could give a shit. Because, except for Kelly and her hobros, most people are still willing to feed kids and in some states even give them medical care, because they are "innocent victims" (or a good investment against future spending, take your pick.)

And of course she has to validate her idiotic statements by adding that she's seen soooo many families where the kids are spoiled little jerks that treat their mothers like the hired help. To echo the sentiments of other people at various other times concerning other bloggers--no you haven't Kelly, you're just making stuff up--again. She is not around "those kinds of families" because she has probably chosen to only associate with people just like her. Kelly probably goes to the grocery store or the mall and sees kids driving nice cars, using various expensive electronic gadgets, and assumes that they're all spoiled and entitled, and they have overly indulgent parents. Of course those types of kids and parents do exist. But maybe that kid she sees driving around in the nice car is driving her parents' car to her after school job, or running errands for mom. Maybe that kid with the expensive MP3 player actually worked for it, either by earning the money to buy it or earning the item itself through good grades or extra household chores But of course Kelly would never take those things into consideration, because that wouldn't fit in with her way of thinking.

Kelly is a giant asshole.

I agree. I think the other families Kelly associates herself with are usually fundie types like her. I also agree that there are spoiled kids in the world. Kelly probably makes assumptions when observes other people in public. There could be many different explanations to why teen is driving around in a car or has an mp3 player or a laptop. I know others like Kelly who assume that anytime a kid has an iPod that it means they are spoiled. One of my boyfriend's cousins is like that. She grew up in a family that wasn't big on extra things like stereos, big screen TV's, game consoles etc. A couple of years ago for Christmas, another cousin told everyone about he bought his two daughters Wiis the other cousin started ranting and saying that he was spoiling his daughters. The cousin with the two daughters bitched her out and told her that the main reason he bought his daughters game consoles is because each of them had 4.0. GPAs. The other cousin pretty much shut up when she heard that.

As for teenagers having cars, I wouldn't label all teens with cars as spoiled. Some parents buy their kids cars to prevent conflicts with scheduling and events. When I was a sophomore in high school, I inherited my dad's old truck. He agreed to pay for the insurance and I had to pay for gas and maintenance. I took good car of that car for the next couple of years and I had a clean driving record. Halfway through my senior year, my parents bought me a new car and of course I got labeled spoiled by some. But even though I was driving a new car, there was a lot of other stuff I would have to loved to have but didn't because I was glad to have a car rather than certain expensive clothes.

Kelly will be always schlepping her teens around and she will probably get pissed when she kids the same age driving around in old or new cars.

We have, for 3 years now, been collecting food in our neighborhood--a poorer neighborhood in one of the wealthiest counties in the country--for children who eat free lunch at school and some teachers found out that this was the only meal they got every day. The food drive is basically permanent because of the continuing need.

So, yeah, Kelly, you're a giant asshole for begrudging kids a free breakfast.

I work at a school where about 90% of students qualify for free breakfast and lunch. The school lunches in my district are actually quite healthy, usually with whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Some kids are really picky but they usually try and eat some of the food. I figure repeat exposure to healthy foods can't hurt. By contrast the students who bring their lunch or breakfast from home is that itls almost always junk food lots of chip candy and even soda! (seriously folks, please don't caffinate your kids!)

Lilah, at least at our school, the lunches are quite healthy and the breakfasts are all sugary packaged things (like, premade "french toast" in plastic shrinkwrap) because the funding comes from a different source, and the breakfast funding has just about $0 for labor - just enough for one person to stock the tables and one to count kids.

Where I grew up, school lunch programs continued into the summer holiday, as there were enough kids that otherwise wouldn't eat for the 10 weeks of summer "vacation". Summer lunch was usually just brown bag lunches handed out in the parks, but it was still better than nothing.

Where are the suggestions on how to alleviate that kind of poverty without government assistance, Kelly?

Or would you rather we just let these kids fend for themselves? Some might starve to death. Others will steal food, or beg off their neighbors. Maybe we can go back to letting kids work in factories instead of going to school. Or they can sell newspapers on the streets - oh wait, newspapers are gone due to the internets and besides the media is godless and evil, right?

The only way I ate as a kid during the summer and weekends is if I managed to spend the night with a friend and their parents gave me dinner. I think some of the moms caught on to what was going on and I had an open invite to eat and or stay the night.....so, Kelly? Fuck the hell out of you, Bitch.

From Kelly (same post):

Family economy is so misunderstood and underrated in the typical American home. Because we love our children, it *feels* like giving them everything they want is a good thing. And while I love to give my children gifts as much as the next parent, we need to distinguish between gift-giving and a daily practice of proper economy.

Making sure your kids have enough food so they can go to school and learn on a full stomach is not a WANT. My daughter WANTS a Barbie DVD - she NEEDS food. Now, I do buy food she likes, and it may cost more than just "basics" (like, for instance, she loves Babybel mini-cheeses, and those suckers are about 6/$3.00) but it's still a need. I can afford it, but there are parents who can't. Their children shouldn't be penalized because their parents don't make enough, or have to be at work when it's breakfast time.

Also, I like the commenter Ginger who stabs at the Bates family and Lawson buying groceries.

And mirele's comment got through - and Kelly even responds! She "said nothing" about poor kids who can't afford to eat, it's all about those kids whose parents can afford to feed them. Let the GC commenter back-pats begin.

she's complaining coz her homeschooled kids don't even get to take advantage of it while she's paying for it. She's a stupid person. Let her know hunger and we'll talk about it later.

I pay taxes and I have no kids. Should I bitch and moan even louder? I don't begrudge a single cent I pay that goes towards relieving poverty and feeding the needy. (I do have a problem with the defense budget.)

Generation Cedar is more like Generation Self-Centered.

I pay taxes and I have no kids. Should I bitch and moan even louder? I don't begrudge a single cent I pay that goes towards relieving poverty and feeding the needy. (I do have a problem with the defense budget.)

Standing O, mirele! And I think it's an absolute crime, with how bloated the defense budget is, that the families of those who put their lives on the line so very often have to subsist on food stamps.

Let's not forget that this is the cow that collected THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars in cash donations and just about everything else you can think of, and then turned around and planned to sell it to her kids.

Family economy my ass. She needs close up the baby factory and get a job, so her kids don't have to work to support her family.

Let's not forget that this is the cow that collected THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars in cash donations and just about everything else you can think of, and then turned around and planned to sell it to her kids.

Family economy my ass. She needs close up the baby factory and get a job, so her kids don't have to work to support her family.

About those donations...

Since Kelly lived on her parents' property, and in one of her parents' houses, will she and hubby have to claim the donations as income, or does that fall on her parents? Will her parents even have to claim it as income, since it appears that property is part of a ministry of some sort? I thought her folks just owned a huge hunk of land and let Kelly live there, then rented the other areas out for weddings and such. But I guess most of the area is:

...an independent living ranch offering assistance for young men who are coping with a difficult transition into adulthood. The facility, located in beautiful Shoal Creek Valley near Ashville Al, offers opportunities for personal improvement in a peaceful environment.

Whatever that means.

I have no idea how non-profits work, what's taxed, what's not, etc. It just seems to me that there's some co-mingling of personal finances with the finances of a non-profit. That can't be good. But then again, if Kelly benefits from the situation, that's all that really matters, right?

ETA: Another fine example, I might add, of leavin' and cleavin'!

I was raised Catholic in a Catholic majority country, and I don't get how Protestant fundies can call themselves Christian and have so little charity and such scorn for the poor and weak.

Btw, isn't this the person who was the recipient of a "sewing bee"? Because sewing supplies are a crucial need, right? Nowhere as frivolous as a car.

About those donations...

Since Kelly lived on her parents' property, and in one of her parents' houses, will she and hubby have to claim the donations as income, or does that fall on her parents? Will her parents even have to claim it as income, since it appears that property is part of a ministry of some sort? I thought her folks just owned a huge hunk of land and let Kelly live there, then rented the other areas out for weddings and such. But I guess most of the area is:

Whatever that means.

WTF?

Whatever that means is right. I can only imagine in the mindset of these sickos what the definition of a young man who is "coping with a difficult transition into adulthood". :shock:

I'm pretty sure the guy who said "Let the little children come to me" would gladly have given them free breakfast (fish and loaves, anyone?)

Let's face it, a lot of people don't have enough. If you look at the military, even - we have members on food stamps and at least on the base I'm on, we're having a serious problem keeping the food locker full. Not "ramping up for Thanksgiving" but keeping it full on a regular basis. Now, yes, some of these families are in a bad economic fix because of decisions made or NOT made about family size, a spouse staying at home and not earning a wage, etc, but it is NOT THE KIDS' FAULT.

And on a military base, sometimes the decisions about one spouse not working has nothing to do with it being a personal decision, but an issue of the military spouse being transferred around too much for the other one to find a stable job. I see that with my students. (I teach near an AF base.)

Archived