IGNORED

Chaviva has a Bun in the oven

ven

It might be just me, but I've always found the phrase "bun in the oven" as a little weird. Actually, it's not as bad as when people refer to their fetuses as "cooking". That just seems all kinds of squicky to me. 

Not surprised at all. Wishing her a healthy pregnancy.

I think she is around 31, so the baby train will be starting to slow down. However I think Tuvia has been back less than 6 months, so they seem to be pretty fertile. So I guess that begs the question...what is the Orthodox stance on childbearing? I often see large Orthodox families where I live, but I don't see too many where there are more than say, 7-ish kids.

Not surprised at all. Wishing her a healthy pregnancy.

I think she is around 31, so the baby train will be starting to slow down. However I think Tuvia has been back less than 6 months, so they seem to be pretty fertile. So I guess that begs the question...what is the Orthodox stance on childbearing? I often see large Orthodox families where I live, but I don't see too many where there are more than say, 7-ish kids.

I could be wrong, but I think I've read that the minimum is be in line with God's command to be fruitful and multiply is 3 kids. But, they also make exceptions when the health of the mother is at risk. I think some groups, too, make exception for financial issues, but it varies from group to group. 

I'm not an expert, though, so someone else can correct me. 

The minimum according to the most accepted opinion is one boy and one girl; there's another opinion that says two boys, so to fulfill both you'd have at least 3. And nursing is encouraged, and birth control to space out children is generally allowed - there's an opinion in the Talmud that it's certainly allowed for at least two years, so you don't often get these super-short 11-to-13-month gaps that the Duggars, Rodrigueses, Shupes, etc., have. I think the biggest Orthodox family I know personally is 8 kids, but I do know of some families with 10+. 

The largest Lubavitcher family I know had 16 kids....in 18 years.  No multiples.  The oldest son was in my class.  The 3rd child, a daughter, swore she would never have more than 3!  Don't know if she ever had more than 3. :my_smile:  Not sure about birth control.  I know that special allowances were made for the health (physical AND mental) of the mother. I know some orthodox Jews used barrier methods of birth control.  My sister's friend and her sister relied on the Sponge.  Both she and her sister had at least one pregnancy due to Sponge failure.  I think they each had about 5 kids. Very few of the orthodox families I knew made it into the double digits.

In some Chassidic sects, the couple must get a rabbi's permission to use birth control, but normally these request are granted, especially for reasons of physical and emotional health of the mother, or to have her finish a degree or certification that will help her get a job.  Some of them a also  specific about the type of BC to be used.  Oh, there is no using birth control to prevent a couple from having ANY children in Judaism, except in cases where it would kill the mother, but at that point I imagine a woman is essentially unmarriageable in Orthodox Judaism.

I know a bobov  family with 22 kids, quite a record me thinks. It depends on the sect and how strict the rabbi is if birth control is allowed or not really . Then again some people don't listen to the rabbis concerning birth control. 

I know a bobov  family with 22 kids, quite a record me thinks. It depends on the sect and how strict the rabbi is if birth control is allowed or not really . Then again some people don't listen to the rabbis concerning birth control. 

Michelle must be jealous!

I'm guessing in the places most Lubavitchers live (Chicago, NYC, New Jersey) it's probably just too expensive to house a mega family. I do remember seeing a guy at Target a few months ago that had about 6 kids who all appeared to be under 10. The poor man looked so frazzled trying to corral all his kids as they swung of all and any available objects. I'm going to guess there weren't going to be many more kids in that family.

Archived