IGNORED

Pastafarian gets to wear strainer on head in license photo

doggie

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  On one hand, its awesome, but on the other its kind of annoying.  Drivers Licenses are needed for identification and when we start expanding ways to alter them we lose that benefit.  

This is exactly why I think it is important, though.  I think I have made it clear that I am no fan of religion (particularly organized religion), however I do try very hard to be respectful of the beliefs of others unless they are clearly inordinately toxic and harmful.  I don't at all really enjoy making light of someone else's beliefs regarding religious practices such as attire, etc.  HOWEVER, I think I as a nonbeliever have every right to be afforded the same rights, privileges, and responsibilities as any other citizen.  If others can demand special accommodations at work based on their deeply held beliefs and convictions, so can I.  If others can wear head coverings, or hairstyles/beard styles, or other affectations of their faith or group membership, I should be afforded that same right or privilege.  

Many years ago when the first Pastafarian tried to get their license photo taken wearing a colander, I was fairly opposed to the idea.  My thoughts and feelings on the issue have swayed a bit more each and every time a religious fanatic nutter screams "persecution" as they trample the rights of others or draft legislation for the "restoration of religious freedom".  I'm just done with the demands for respect and special treatment people think I so ill deserve.  

In short, if head coverings in RMV photos (licenses or state IDs) are such a threat to our system of identification and national security - they should be banned.  Period.  I realize this view may make me kind of an ass in the eyes of some - I care about that less and less with each new absurd religious rights sob story.

This is exactly why I think it is important, though.  I think I have made it clear that I am no fan of religion (particularly organized religion), however I do try very hard to be respectful of the beliefs of others unless they are clearly inordinately toxic and harmful.  I don't at all really enjoy making light of someone else's beliefs regarding religious practices such as attire, etc.  HOWEVER, I think I as a nonbeliever have every right to be afforded the same rights, privileges, and responsibilities as any other citizen.  If others can demand special accommodations at work based on their deeply held beliefs and convictions, so can I.  If others can wear head coverings, or hairstyles/beard styles, or other affectations of their faith or group membership, I should be afforded that same right or privilege.  

Many years ago when the first Pastafarian tried to get their license photo taken wearing a colander, I was fairly opposed to the idea.  My thoughts and feelings on the issue have swayed a bit more each and every time a religious fanatic nutter screams "persecution" as they trample the rights of others or draft legislation for the "restoration of religious freedom".  I'm just done with the demands for respect and special treatment people think I so ill deserve.  

In short, if head coverings in RMV photos (licenses or state IDs) are such a threat to our system of identification and national security - they should be banned.  Period.  I realize this view may make me kind of an ass in the eyes of some - I care about that less and less with each new absurd religious rights sob story.

I mean, I think it's funny and a good point about special treatment of religion by the government, but at the same time, I think I'm fine with head coverings and such for ID photos because at least for Muslims and Sikhs, they wear those head coverings every day. That's what they're going to look like on a daily basis, and they are perfectly within their rights to look like that. Part of the point of the ID photo is to match what you generally look like, and if you wear a hijab or a turban every day, it doesn't make much sense to have an official photo of you meant to represent your day-to-day appearance that doesn't represent your day-to-day appearance. I doubt that a Pastafarian is actually going to walk around with a spaghetti strainer on their head every single day, which kinda defeats the purpose of the ID photo, even if it is making a point about religious exemptions.

They aren't "needed for identification." They have been used for ID, but really, anyone can go get a state ID instead or as well. I'd actually prefer if we separated driver's licenses from IDs, because they aren't the same thing, technically. In practice, but it also helps perpetuate the myth that people without driver's licenses aren't as responsible. 

For most purposes (airplane boarding, buying age restricted vices, employment i-9 forms, banking) a state ID card is treated the same as a drivers license (in most states, they look very similar to a drivers license, but maybe the lettering is a different color).  

In reality most people with drivers licenses are not going to go out of their way to get a separate card (and take up more space in their wallet) when your drivers license serves the same purposes.  I don't have any additional forms of photo ID that are valid (I'm sure I could find an old student ID or my long expired passport) and don't feel the need to get one (if I'm planning an international trip, then things would obviously change).  

I have one question for pastafarians when it comes to headgear.  Typically the religious exemptions for official photos are made for someone who wears their headgear whenever they're out in public (turban, hijab, etc).

Do pastafarians wear colanders on their head whenever they're out in public.  I have yet to see anyone doing so.

I agree with what people are saying about the reality of things in terms of is this something you truly believe in and do you wear that out and about every day, etc.  That totally should matter.  The unfortunate fact is, however, that no one checks (at least not at my DMV).  No one at all checks to make sure that someone who comes in wearing a head covering or whatever 1) hold any belief that would suggest or require they wear it or 2) wears it ever day or that anyone but the individual would agree this is something that is done for religious purposes.  

This argument, while I get it, is something I feel is better understood in the context of religious accommodation law in general.  The way the laws are often written is highly concerning and in my opinion leaves a huge gaping hole for people to sneak through in an effort to put themselves above the law.  

ETA - I am not at all as against religious accommodations as I probably sound.  I am against the abuse of religious accommodation laws.  I don't think anyone really wants a colander on their head in their license photo - they are proving a point about how the laws are currently written and implemented.

I've got a regular colander & a 1/2 colander thingy that's attached to the pot as I pour the hot water out of it; would I need to wear both?

Can you guys imagine the chaos that might ensue if the Pastafarians get backing for putting up Winter Holiday displays in state-supported public spaces? Pirates dressed in red and green and throwing candy at children?

Likewise, could you imagine the uproar if Pastafarians ever constructed a public display depicting FSM heaven?!

:beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:   :beer:

Goodness, mugs WOULD be much easier than constructing the Beer Volcano.  

But what about those of us who consider themselves Reformed Pastafarians (e.g., nondrinkers)?  Can we get a Pepsi Volcano, maybe, and down in Hell it's Diet Pepsi and flat to boot?

How do IDs work with something like a burqa? 

I think this is hilarious, but I'm definitely with @Woosh that it is kind of a stretch. Eesh, what a hot mess.

What if I believe in a faith that says that I have to be touching my dog at all times? Is she in the photo?

If you don't feel comfy with a colander, I'm pretty sure a pirate bandanna would be acceptable, since Pirates are absolute divine beings, and I think Henderson has stated that one should be wearing Pirate Garb when spreading the Message.  RAmen!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

This is actually not as much of a joke as one might imagine.  There was an issue somewhere where a gang member wanted to wear his colors - a bandana over his head - which he wears every day and it is central to his belief system, way of life, and identity as part of a group.  Can he wear it?

I tend to think that if you can't remove  y our religious symbol for a ten-second photo, maybe it's time to rethink those beliefs. I also don't think there's an issue with covering hair. Pretty much anyone can change or cover their hair, so I don't think having it in a photo will make much difference in identification. 

I am just imagining if this lady is involved in a fender bender- some teenager rearending her and going home to explain it was totally not his fault because this lady is nuts... 

I do feel like if you choose to wear something in your drivers license photo then you should have to wear it anytime you drive.  Now I am just waiting for someone to get a pair of those HUGE sunglasses like the California raisins wore....

How do IDs work with something like a burqa? 

I think this is hilarious, but I'm definitely with @Woosh that it is kind of a stretch. Eesh, what a hot mess.

What if I believe in a faith that says that I have to be touching my dog at all times? Is she in the photo?

I don't know how it works in the US but in Sweden you are not allowed to wear a niqab or burqa on your ID, passport or drivers licence. You can wear a veil that does not cover the face though. Normally people who wear a niqab/burqa will asked to be checked by a woman but it is actually allowed within Islamic teaching to show your face if it is necessary and most scholars say that showing your face to the police is a necessary situation so this is OK. 

Where can I join???

And do they accept cats too? 

:pb_lol:

I hope so, my feline headship would be heartbroken if she wasn't accepted.  One of her favorite toys is an uncooked piece of spaghetti.  Wait, would that be considered sacrilege??

But what about those of us who consider themselves Reformed Pastafarians (e.g., nondrinkers)?  Can we get a Pepsi Volcano, maybe, and down in Hell it's Diet Pepsi and flat to boot?

I'm guessing the FSM would be okay with this as long as there are carbs involved.  I'm hoping those noodly appendages will be good to me since I'm on a gluten-free diet. :my_smile:

Once the Pepsi volcano is firmly established, we'll have to figure out how to win Teri Maxwell over as a convert! 

@ElegantMess: For you, because you're special, here are spaghetti squash noodles!  (And lots to share, for anybody with egg, vegan, or gluten problems.)

@sawasdee and others:  Yes, your metal has been tested and found wanting.  PLASTIC for you!  But, on the other hand: you are not as rigid as the Weal and Twoo0 Believers.  Come, partake in the communion of Pasta and Sauce!

@Woosh:  Gang colors. INTERESTING.  IIRC (and am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, and don't have a Staples "Easy" button), one issue might be whether Colors are majorly disruptive.  I believe Tinker said that people have a right to free speech

Archived