IGNORED

Christian Homeschooling Parents Abused, Starved And Imprisoned Child Because God

doggie

The thing which sickens me most isn't the parents (I've heard enough of that that I'm sadly used to it), but the neighbours who spoke to the media talking about the horrible things they saw the child go through.

Well if you saw a kid going through that, WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T YOU CALL CPS?

(Please excuse my swearing and shouting - the adoptive parents are abominable, but anyone who saw that and didn't call CPS or the police has to bear some responsibility for the fact that that little girl,s hell went on for as long as it did.  They couldn't prevent the hell, but they had the power to stop it sooner.)

It's called the Bystander Effect.  Most people won't call for help because they think someone else will take care of it.  I was watching A Death in St. Augustine last night on Netflix, and a witness talked on camera about how she and a friend heard a loud fight between a man and a woman, then a woman screaming for help, and a couple gunshots, then silence, and their excuse for not calling the cops was they figured the cops would be there are some point.

I agree that people who witness abuse and murder and don't call for help should be held accountable if their calling could have reasonably stopped it from happening. No one should be expected to physically intervene, but if you can call, but don't, then how are you not assisting by letting it go on?

And this is why homeschooling needs to be regulated. Have the children be checked on every month. 

Nice thought, but a lot of these families fly under the radar enough that they would go by unnoticed.  How would be make sure every child is accounted for?  Send all families a letter with their day of the month to take their kids in, and canvas the neighborhoods for kids who don't show?  What if someone moves and doesn't leave a forwarding address?  Maybe have neighbors call a hotline to report all the kids they know to make sure they're properly papered and tracked?  Should kids be required to submit themselves to a check during the summers?  What happens if they miss a date to go prove their kids are alive?  

I don't think the solution is to start forcing all parents to be under the oversight of the government.  Even good, non-abusive parents would balk at what is really law-ordered supervision since no parents can be trusted.  The people who are going to abuse are going to find a way to do it, even if it means locking kids in cages inside the house.  How often are there cases where neighbors didn't even know there were children in a home until they were found dead or so emaciated that they were near dead?

I think required monthly visits with a social worker or whoever is assigned would drive fundy families and abusers further underground and make it harder for those kids to ever get help.  It sucks, but we need to have this stuff happening in the open enough that the victims have a chance of help, and then we need to start penalizing people who witness abuse, but don't report it.

In the book A Child Called It, Dave went into detail about how his extremely abusive mother was able to manipulate him in a way that she was able to pass him off as a happy, well-loved child to social workers who did stop by.  

I think social workers are the most underappreciated and underpaid workers in the public sector in most western societies.

Social workers and teachers.  Both blamed for everything wrong with kids and families, neither given the resources needed, both working with many more kids than is reasonable, both working within senseless and even stupid parameters that make doing their jobs effectively nearly impossible, both severely underpaid.

Why do our societies see the positions that involve caring for children as worthless?

Why is it that I KNEW the kid was adopted the moment I read the title of the thread?

right?  What is it with fundies abusing adopted children (more than their bio kids)?

right?  What is it with fundies abusing adopted children (more than their bio kids)?

Becauce they are only there to be molded into perfect little christians not really just needy children. They don't adapt to help the child.

Archived