IGNORED

Follow the Prophet

deelaem

I just watched this movie, "Follow the Prophet" on Netflix. It is about a 15 year old girl who escapes from her religious cult when her father tries to rape her, then marry her off to the prophet. The cult in the movie is portrayed pretty much as the FLDS, although they never quite say that. And of course the prophet is Warren Jeffs-ish. There is a character in it that is very much like Flora Jessop, whom I say from the credits had something to do with the movie being made.

I'm sorry to say that it was a really, really poorly done movie. It's clear it had a low budget and poor acting, directing and editing. But the idea of the movie, that someone could infiltrate the cult and get the goods on them once and for all, was a good one. I wonder if anyone has ever tried. I'm still shocked, though not surprised, that the FLDS is allowed to go in spite of what's known about their practices. But I guess it's typical of the Feds not to have the guts to do anything after how badly they fucked up the Waco thing. And given that our House and Senate are now dominated by religious godbags, I'm sure they see no reason to interfere with another "church". In the meantime, thousands of women and children are exploited and abused.

I agree, but it's not just the politicians and law enforcement. Look at what happened when Jeffs' compound was raided. They took the kids temporarily and next thing you know, People magazine is running a puff piece about how fucking sad the mothers were about losing custody of their children, even though they are perfectly willing to marry the 14 year olds off as sex slaves and leave the teen boys homeless by the side of the road. And the American public was all -- "This is an outrage! Give those mommies back their babies!" And I vomited.

Sure, give the moms back the kids. AFTER they agree to leave the compound and agree to monitoring of the children to ensure they are not married off or abandoned and agree to take parenting classes and agree to serious counseling.

I just watched this movie, "Follow the Prophet" on Netflix. It is about a 15 year old girl who escapes from her religious cult when her father tries to rape her, then marry her off to the prophet. The cult in the movie is portrayed pretty much as the FLDS, although they never quite say that. And of course the prophet is Warren Jeffs-ish. There is a character in it that is very much like Flora Jessop, whom I say from the credits had something to do with the movie being made.

I'm sorry to say that it was a really, really poorly done movie. It's clear it had a low budget and poor acting, directing and editing. But the idea of the movie, that someone could infiltrate the cult and get the goods on them once and for all, was a good one. I wonder if anyone has ever tried. I'm still shocked, though not surprised, that the FLDS is allowed to go in spite of what's known about their practices. But I guess it's typical of the Feds not to have the guts to do anything after how badly they fucked up the Waco thing. And given that our House and Senate are now dominated by religious godbags, I'm sure they see no reason to interfere with another "church". In the meantime, thousands of women and children are exploited and abused.

It would be incredibly difficult for an outsider to get inside the FLDS, because the organization is essentially closed. They don't proselytize and you'd have to be a marriageable female related to someone in the group to get in. The same is true of the Davis County Co-Op (aka Kingstons). The Apostolic United Brethren (the group Kody & Sister Wives are associated with) is a slightly more open group, in that they do take converts, but you have to pretty much seek them out.

tl;dr: you'd have to be born in the FLDS.

It would be incredibly difficult for an outsider to get inside the FLDS, because the organization is essentially closed. They don't proselytize and you'd have to be a marriageable female related to someone in the group to get in. The same is true of the Davis County Co-Op (aka Kingstons). The Apostolic United Brethren (the group Kody & Sister Wives are associated with) is a slightly more open group, in that they do take converts, but you have to pretty much seek them out.

tl;dr: you'd have to be born in the FLDS.

That's basically it, as they have their own police force that chases outsiders away from their towns, and there's no way they'd let a male join their cult as he would be seen as competition for the marriageable girls. After all, they kick out teenage boys for that reason.

I agree, but it's not just the politicians and law enforcement. Look at what happened when Jeffs' compound was raided. They took the kids temporarily and next thing you know, People magazine is running a puff piece about how fucking sad the mothers were about losing custody of their children, even though they are perfectly willing to marry the 14 year olds off as sex slaves and leave the teen boys homeless by the side of the road. And the American public was all -- "This is an outrage! Give those mommies back their babies!" And I vomited.

Sure, give the moms back the kids. AFTER they agree to leave the compound and agree to monitoring of the children to ensure they are not married off or abandoned and agree to take parenting classes and agree to serious counseling.

That part of it (among many others) makes me nauseated, too, demgirl. When I read about idiotic people saying, "Oh, but the kids look so happy and wholesome!", I want to hit someone.

These women are brainwashed and they should not be able to have their kids back until they're deprogrammed.

OT: This reminds me, I saw one of my friends on Facebook has a joined a kickball league from her free-thinkers group. They're called the Non-Prophets. lol.

Archived