IGNORED

ever heard of a gay grocery store?

FundieWatcher

This is a quote from the link Lori gave on her blog today:

For so long, I saw myself solely as being a gay man. That was such a big part of who I was. I went to a gay club, I went to a gay gym, I went to a gay grocery story . . . everything. All my friends were gay.

I'm I out of the loop? Are there gay grocery stores? Or is the innuendo of some kinda? Lol Also, sad. At first his mom made him choose between family/sexuality:

My mom had given me an ultimatum. She said, “You must either choose the family or choose homosexuality.â€

This whole story is over-the-top and and little to convenient. I honestly don't know, I guess it could be true. But he was gay, started using drugs, started selling drugs, went to jail, got HIV, and then found God. It is like a fundie cautionary tale. I mean, he was in dental school and not practicing safe sex or using clean needles? Come on.

reviveourhearts.com/radio/revive-our-hearts/holy-sexuality-1/

This is a quote from the link Lori gave on her blog today:

I'm I out of the loop? Are there gay grocery stores? Or is the innuendo of some kinda? Lol Also, sad. At first his mom made him choose between family/sexuality:

This whole story is over-the-top and and little to convenient. I honestly don't know, I guess it could be true. But he was gay, started using drugs, started selling drugs, went to jail, got HIV, and then found God. It is like a fundie cautionary tale. I mean, he was in dental school and not practicing safe sex or using clean needles? Come on.

reviveourhearts.com/radio/revive-our-hearts/holy-sexuality-1/

WHere are these gay grocery stores??? I want to know!! I want to spend all of my money there!! :cracking-up:

I bet this is the same guy who used to invite Ken to all those "big gay parties" he talked about a while back!

I'm guessing gay groceries are places for gay people to go to get their gay food and gay party supplies and maybe hook up with hot gay strangers amongst the cucumbers and pomegranates. You can't very well expect gay people to shop straight, now can you?

Not officially a "gay grocery store," but years ago I lived near a store that some locals* referred to the "disco Kroger" because it was in the middle of Montrose. Great grocery store, though... open 24 hours, friendly staff, and they carried a brand of peanut butter i liked at the time... that was almost a decade ago, though!

*When I say "some locals" I mostly mean "the circle people who I ran with in my early 20s," and a lot of us were jerks back then (I know I was!) so take all of that with a spoonful of salt.

the convenience stores of a large supermarketchain in the Netherlands changed it's logo for a week during the gay pride week in Amsterdam

center10347567_684665648311814_394901845508189

to this

center11796315_703556936422685_495024255658398

maybe this is it?

the convenience stores of a large supermarketchain in the Netherlands changed it's logo for a week during the gay pride week *snip*...

maybe this is it?

That's pretty awesome. I love it!

I think back in the 1980s when lesbian feminist separatism was a big thing that there might have been grocery stores that were all female owned and intended to serve a female clientele. I know there were B&Bs, restaurants, and coffee houses that were run on lesbian separatist lines. I would imagine that in certain neighborhoods with high numbers of LGBT people that a grocery store might seem "gay" simply because of who is shopping there. But the entire story sounds like a Jack Chick tract come to life, so unless there are some clarifying details (or just better storytelling in general), I'm just going to assume that this is about as real as XGay Greg being "the most popular gay on the beach."

Well I'm certain there are no "gay" grocery stores here in the Deep South. But I am equally certain that up in the land of gay rights, my gay friends shopped at the same stores as everyone else, mostly Wegman's. Hell, at least once my massage therapist got a ride to the grocery store with my husband because he car was in the shop. He raised kids in the 80s and 90s, lost s partner to AIDS and just got married this weekend because his second partner refused to get married until it was legal everywhere. I'm positive if there was a gay grocery, he would have known about it. I'm equally certain my husband is not gay since he's my exhibit A to refute my theory we might all be naturally in the Bi middle and gravitate to the edges as we age.

Deep South here also. There are no gay grocery stores around here or my my SIL and her wife would have told me. However, SIL's wife is in the process of trying to open her own full service salon. She will definitely get my business!

This probably refers to a grocery store in a gay village or quarter. Such things do exist along with gay diners, gay gyms, etc. Basically a grocer that caters to a specific community, likely due to location, but may also run food drives for lgbt youth homes or AIDS/HIV focused hospices.

There is a small grocery store in my city that has the LGBT flag flying year round outside. As far as I know, it's not a gaybourhood... if it is, as a queer person, I'm really out of the loop!

Some stores use that as a pull-factor to attract the LGBT crowd. I used to read the LGBT magazine that is distributed in my hometown and a lot of the companies that advertised had "gay owned-gay friendly" (or similar expressions) included in their ads.

Gay bars, gay restaurants, gay gyms, gay grocery stores, all fine and dandy. Nothing holds a candle to a gay campground. Years ago I was pleasantly surprised to find out they are all over the country. :auto-camptrailer:

Archived