IGNORED

FJ did you thank your mother for giving you life

Toothfairy

Read an article about the ridiculous stand for life movement. Some of my friends are using their kids especially their foster/adopted kids for their political views(which I hate) to stand for life. One of my friends told me I should be grateful that my foster/adopted children's moms chose life for them and they have me now. We'll I guess being sexually, physically, emotionally abuse, neglected, and aging out doesn't matter since their mothers choose life. The article also said everyone who is born should go and thank their mothers for not aborting them and tell their children they should be grateful that they weren't aborted. Well I guess I better give my mother a call for choosing life. Even if I didn't ask to be born and have no reason to be grateful. So Fjers tell your mom thank you for choosing life! Tell your kids to say thank you to you for choosing life! If I can find the article again I'll link it.

I actually quite often wish I could slap my mother for not using birth Control when it was clear that at least her husband needed loads and loads of therapy first. And my mother needed it too.

I have yet to forgive them for having me, actually. Though of course I haven't told them this.

No, but I probably should. I wonder, while I am at it, if I should also thank her for having drunken, unprotected teen sex? Because if they hadn't gotten it on that night I wouldn't be here! And that would have been such a freaking tragedy that really, I should start encouraging the teenagers in my life to start having unprotected sex as well. Think of all the baybeez.

This reminds me of the time my husband was at the supermarket with our first child, who was a baby at the time (and who was very much wanted and planned for). Some old man came up to him, asked him if that was his son, and then said, "Congratulations for not aborting him." :o

Hmmm...since I was one of a slew of two dimensional props in the grand drama of my mother's life and she has now passed on I think I'll pass on that one.

Not just no but hell no. One of the last things that mommy dearest said to me was how she had always hated me. My reply, "I know Mom you didn't do a good job of hiding it." Also she thought she was dropping a bomb shell when she told me that if abortion had been legal in 1953 I never would have been born. My reply…"Yeah well I wish it had been legal." So take that fundie tools.

You know, I sort of attempted to thank my mum for making "the right choice" and then she told me I was carefully planned and there was never any question anyway. So...

But, on the topic of people using foster/adopted kids to push an anti-abortion agenda...does it irk anyone else when disabled children are taken advantage of to push an anti-abortion agenda?

Because what always irritated me about anti-abortionists with disabled children (ie the Santorums, Palins*) is that they have a tendency to parade their cute little disabled child around as a trophy of how GODLY and wonderful they are. When this type of thing actually contributes to images that are all in all not at all helpful to disabled people.

*this is meant to be a dig at the parents, not the disabled children themselves.

I'll thank my mother, grandmother, and at least three of my great-grandmothers for being shameless hussies who had sex before they were married, because otherwise my grandparents/parents wouldn't have been conceived and I wouldn't be here today. :)

because i was born so late in my parent's life, people usually assume i'm an oops baby...but nope! i was planned :D

i think my mum may have experienced a little premature empty nest anxiety, as my sister was preparing to graduate and my brother wasn't far behind her (i actually went to my sister's high school graduation when i was a few weeks old!). but whatever the reason, i was wanted and planned for from the get.

My mother told me multiple times (1) that I was planned and wanted and (2) that had she not had more than one (illegal, scary) abortion previously, I would not have existed because their marriage wouldn't have lasted long enough to create me. They married in the 1930s, and it evidently took them a while to figure out birth control.

So in the great moral math test, are the potential lives lost to abortion balanced out by the wanted, prepared-for babies that are born later to the same women?

That kind of stuff makes me so angry. I teach in a title one school and so many of our kids come from terrible homes and have awful lives. The apathy of some of these parents is infuriating, that was the only work related thing that made me cry last year. There are so many people who I wish would make better choices about not having children. Then these people who want every embryo to become a baby don't want to do anything to help them once they are born.

I was planned, but I do thank my mom occasionally for being so strong through all these years. Seriously, she's great. Feminists, from the womb to the tomb! But my dads an asshole. Fuck that guy.

That kind of stuff makes me so angry. I teach in a title one school and so many of our kids come from terrible homes and have awful lives. The apathy of some of these parents is infuriating, that was the only work related thing that made me cry last year. There are so many people who I wish would make better choices about not having children. Then these people who want every embryo to become a baby don't want to do anything to help them once they are born.

I'm sure you didn't mean to, but this really, IMHO, comes across like its a real shame all those poor, apathetic parents didn't just do the right thing and abort all those kids. that doesn't seem like a very good additude for a teacher. And FYI, many of the children in a wealthier school will have terrible lives - they are just better hidden.

I do agree that spending money on birth control access prior to conception, and social supports AFTER children are born should be the priority of the anti- abortion fanatics.

On the subject of thanking your mother for giving birth to you -- one year, on one of my milestone birthdays, I thought it would be a nice gesture to do something for my mom to thank her for having me. - since I wouldn't be having a birthday otherwise. I showed up at her office unannounced with flowers and a card and was going to take her to lunch . She was completely confused - because she forgot it was my birthday. :lol:

My mother has always been very clear that I was wanted baby. When I was older, she told me whole story about years of trying and problematic pregnancy and delivery, and how she spent pretty much entire pregnancy hoping for alive and healthy baby. Somehow I think thanking her about not having abortion in that situation would be absurd. Plus kinda rude.

My parents have 4 somewhat spaced out kids (kid 1-three years later kid 2, 5 years later kid 3, 4 years later, kid4) and it was pretty clear that no one was an oops. I don't think I ever thanked them for my being born, but I have more than once thanked them for not being bat shit crazy parents (though not in those terms)

It would probaly go like this:

Me: "Thanks for giving birth to me, mom!"

Mom: "You think THAT was my hardest task / biggest accomplishment as a mother?" :pink-shock:

I would - but mom has dementia, is in a skilled nursing/memory care unit and often I'm not sure she realizes I am actually her child.

The only thing I have to thank my parents' for is the fact that they put up with me all these years! :lol:

Seriously though, I don't get this line of thinking. Then again, they probably don't get how I could support a woman's right to, you know, MAKE HER OWN FUCKING MEDICAL CHOICES - because womin folk are incapable of doing the thinking and all. :angry-banghead:

Well I am glad to be here I suppose, but if my mum hadn't chosen to have me I wouldn't exist and therefore wouldn't care, so this person is asking a redundant question!

You know I actually did call my mother to thank her for giving life to me, but she didn't know what the hell I was talking about. But she did say I was an accident. :lol: Honestly kids aren't asked to be born. They shouldn't be grateful that their mother chose to go through with her pregnancy.

Some birth mothers are really shitty. Should children who are abused and neglected by their mom be grateful that they weren't aborted? What about the mom that abandoned her kids? Should her kids be grateful? We all make choices in life. Children shouldn't be used to push someone's personal political beliefs.

Uhhh. I feel like if my parents said "aren't you glad I didn't abort you?", it would have really screwed with me. What kind of message does that send? It feels like it's kind of one of those backwards compliments.

I dont need to thank my mom for choosing life. I was a wanted baby :)

Same here for me and my sister.

Archived