IGNORED

Texas high school has Chlamydia outbreak and no sex ed

2xx1xy1JD

No matter what evidence there is you can't get conservative Christians to except sexual facts. no time in history have people not had unmarried sex. This is why it is so much in the bible.

Reminds me of this story: bbcnewsday.com/world-news/seven-girls-as-young-as-13-become-pregnant-on-a-school-trip/#axzz3ZItAuGxM (it was all over the news around here, there are several other sources)

And seriously, that no sex-ed and not talking about sex won't stop teens from having sex, was already known back in the day when Frank Wedekind wrote "Spring Awakening", and that was back in 1890.

I really hope that letter spells out to all the parents that they must get their children tested, even if they still think their precious darlings are still pure.

7 out of 10 women with chlamydia don't have symptoms and it can cause infertility if not treated.

I'm sorry, I know this is terribly serious, but all I could think of was Mean Girls

sex-gif.gif

No surprise it's Texas. That ridiculous ass state. So you're against sex ed, abortions, and teens having babies. I just don't understand this logic.

there is no logic. it is faith and morals and holding to them when it does not work and it actually hurts others. when it only matters to follow your faith no matter what the consequences.

:angry-banghead: This story makes me livid.

In 1998, Texas made it a requirement for minors to seek parental consent for medical treatment taking away teens confidential access to contraceptives or STI testing and treatment. So we deprive them of proper sex ed and their ability to handle sexual experimentation with any dignity ? ... Doh! Of course this happens!

Sure, nothing was stopping these teens from buying and using condoms but why would they feel empowered to do so? They are woefully unprepared, on purpose. I guess the town whores got what they deserved :nenner: .

This honestly horrifies me. Not only does chlamydia often fly under the radar for many girls/women (as has already been mentioned), but it can cause PID, which can -- worst case scenario -- cause abscess and death. I can easily see a teen girl hiding her pain until the situation is a medical emergency if she's afraid of her parents' condemnation. This is just awful no matter which way I look at it.

:angry-banghead: This story makes me livid.

In 1998, Texas made it a requirement for minors to seek parental consent for medical treatment taking away teens confidential access to contraceptives or STI testing and treatment. So we deprive them of proper sex ed and their ability to handle sexual experimentation with any dignity ? ... Doh! Of course this happens!

Sure, nothing was stopping these teens from buying and using condoms but why would they feel empowered to do so? They are woefully unprepared, on purpose. I guess the town whores got what they deserved :nenner: .

Crane is a very small town. If you bought condoms locally, there's no guarantee of your purchase remaining private. Teenagers would either have to buy online (with a parent's credit card???), or drive half an hour to Odessa to buy condoms.

Not a good scenario for helping teens prevent pregnancy or STDs. :(

I opted my daughter out of abstinence only "sex ed" every year since 7th grade so I didn't have to undo the crap. I have been criticized for doing so. So far, my daughter has a better grasp of sexuality than some of her friends older siblings (college aged sibs). She's 16 now. I might be more liberal than a lot of parents but I would much rather my daughter be armed with facts instead of fiction.

SC also has a high rate of STD's and teen pregnancy. Gotta love the bible belt.

No surprise it's Texas. That ridiculous ass state. So you're against sex ed, abortions, and teens having babies. I just don't understand this logic.

Well, there is no logic. Against sex ed, abortions, access to birth control, gay marriage and FOR teens having babies, open carry of handguns and well, guns in any form, the death penalty, pandering to the oil and gas lobby, school vouchers to pay for private schools and a lieutenant governor who makes no bones about carrying out god's will.

Anyway, the crazy just goes on and on and on....

I'd also recommend looking at the location of Crane, TX. It should be obvious that recreational sex is one of the few recreational options available to teens.

Yup, it's my state.

I feel so bad for those kid whose parents denied them education about their own bodies and who are the ones who have to suffer for it.

And I am SO GLAD that I can teach my children everything I want them to know about sex, STDs, prevention and all that... even if schools aren't doing an adequate job. It is too bad that all kids don't have parents who will do that and have to rely on schools. It's a weird world to live in where people do not believe that "knowledge is power."

I opted my daughter out of abstinence only "sex ed" every year since 7th grade so I didn't have to undo the crap. I have been criticized for doing so. So far, my daughter has a better grasp of sexuality than some of her friends older siblings (college aged sibs). She's 16 now. I might be more liberal than a lot of parents but I would much rather my daughter be armed with facts instead of fiction.

SC also has a high rate of STD's and teen pregnancy. Gotta love the bible belt.

That stuff makes me so mad. I went through that abstinence nonsense and when I finally reached a stage in my life where that was something I even considered, I was woefully unprepared and it got me into a bucket of trouble. And it was something I've had to sort out entirely on my own, because my community & parents would've been self-righteously horrified. It does way more damage than good except for the schools, who cover their butts from anything controversial.

Good for you for giving your daughter a far better education than her peers on a subject that, frankly, I find to be more important than calculus.

That stuff makes me so mad. I went through that abstinence nonsense and when I finally reached a stage in my life where that was something I even considered, I was woefully unprepared and it got me into a bucket of trouble. And it was something I've had to sort out entirely on my own, because my community & parents would've been self-righteously horrified. It does way more damage than good except for the schools, who cover their butts from anything controversial.

Good for you for giving your daughter a far better education than her peers on a subject that, frankly, I find to be more important than calculus.

I heartily agree and I love me some calculus.

In light of this article in the Washington Post, it seems that what is happening in tiny Crane TX only mirrors a national problem.

Since you can't blame a national problem, affecting women of all ages, on lack of high school sex ed class, guess that isn't Crane's problem either.

Probably shouldn't jump to the conclusion that a rise in reported chlamydia cases is driven by or would be fixed by a sex ed class.

washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/05/07/six-alarming-health-trends-every-woman-needs-to-know/?tid=hybrid_linearcol_3_na

Chlamydia is on the rise in every state, especially North Dakota and Massachusetts.

The incidence of chlamydia among American women of all ages surged 37 percent between 2002 and 2013, from 455 to 623 per 100,000. Men also saw a major increase (but the male rate remains lower): 60 to 263 per 100,000.

However...

Most people who carry the infection show no symptoms, according to the CDC. More reported cases, however, may not actually signify worsening sexual health, Hess said: “It’s possible tests are getting better and more sensitive, and more people are becoming aware they have it.â€

Okay, postulating that it could have other sources is valid- and it could be (as most things in the real world are) a combination of many factors including improved/frequent testing... but it isn't valid to conclude that sex ed wouldn't be helpful.

One, many American adults had terrible/incomplete sex ed- it's not enough to simply have had sex. We can't really be sure how much of the transmission rate is due to poor education at ANY age. Two, condoms aren't perfect, and you can still get an STI even with perfect use (some more-so than others). That said, they beat the shit out of nothing. Three, sex education doesn't lead to teens having sex more or younger.

Teaching about contraception was not associated with increased risk of adolescent sexual activity or STD. Adolescents who received comprehensive sex education had a lower risk of

pregnancy than adolescents who received abstinence-only or no sex education.

- 2008 study

There is evidence to suggest that education improves the condom usage rate, however-

Respondents who reported receiving sex education were 2.52 times more likely to report currently using condoms than respondents who reported not receiving sex education (CI: 1.65-3.85, p = .000).

-condom use study

I maintain that fundies don't like condoms and sex ed because they DO work, not because they "don't".

Well, there is no logic. Against sex ed, abortions, access to birth control, gay marriage and FOR teens having babies, open carry of handguns and well, guns in any form, the death penalty, pandering to the oil and gas lobby, school vouchers to pay for private schools and a lieutenant governor who makes no bones about carrying out god's will.

Anyway, the crazy just goes on and on and on....

I'd also recommend looking at the location of Crane, TX. It should be obvious that recreational sex is one of the few recreational options available to teens.

Yup, it's my state.

They have a bowling alley movie theater skating rink Dairy Queen, and it's only three more months until football season starts. Surely that's enough to keep teens entertained? :wink-kitty:

Archived