IGNORED

Anti-Gay Day Planned at Public School

Cleopatra7

So much for millenials being more tolerant than previous generations: :shifty-kitty:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2015 ... rming.html

Last Friday, April 17, the LGBTQ advocacy organization GLSEN sponsored its “Day of Silence,†an annual event that “brings attention to the anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment that is common in schools†by having queer students and their allies organize peaceful demonstrations on campuses, often involving self-imposed quiet for much of the day. Due to a scheduling conflict, the Gay-Straight Alliance at McGuffey High School in Claysville, Pennsylvania, chose to mark the occasion on Wednesday, April 15, instead, drawing between 30 and 50 participants and generating a generally supportive atmosphere, according to a participant who spoke with BuzzFeed News.

The mood changed on Thursday, when, according to a number of reports, a similar-sized group organized an “anti-gay day,†which they marked by wearing flannel, writing “Anti-Gay†on their bodies, posting Bible verses to queer students’ lockers and social media profiles, and, most troublingly, allegedly harassing “Day of Silence†participants both verbally and physically. There are also allegations of a “lynch list†containing the names of LGBTQ students, a noose being hung from a flag in one classroom, and, according to local outlet WPXI, plans for further clothing-based demonstrations all this week. While harassment reports are currently being investigated by the school district—which on Monday reported not yet finding evidence of assaults or the “lynch list†in an update to BuzzFeed—many of the “anti-gay day†activities were documented on Instagram and other social media platforms.

McGuffey High School really needs to tackle this problem full force. I'm glad the article said the offenses could be considered expulsion worthy. Good, those kids need to be expelled. Maybe when they're sitting in a continuation high school or other alternative placement, they'll reflect on why threatening people with a lynch list is wrong.

On a side note, I know a boy who got expelled from school his senior year, and it really messed him up for college. His twin brother got to go to his college of choice, but the expelled kid didn't. His credits got messed up because the expulsion happened mid-semester. He learned the hard way and has been in no further trouble.

Okay, but what really gets me is that they marked themselves by wearing flannel. The stereotypical wear of lesbians and bisexual women.

This upsets me, obviously, but that little detail cracks me up. I'm bisexual. It's just that when people are homophobic but bad at it, I have to take in that dark humor. For instance, once in high school I was in the locker room and I heard this girl asking her friend, "Hey, what's the word for gay but like for a girl?" and her friend didn't know so she said, "Whatever I'll just use the other one." and they walked by me and screamed "GIRL F*G!!!" I cracked up. Maybe this isn't funny to anybody else but man, if they're gonna hate me, at least they're hilariously incompetent at it.

That aside, this is a very real problem. I remember doing Day of Silence. Even some teachers got passive aggressive about it so this sort of response isn't shocking.

However, despite this, I believe that millennial, my generation, are still more tolerant than the past. It just won't ever come all at once.

Okay, but what really gets me is that they marked themselves by wearing flannel. The stereotypical wear of lesbians and bisexual women.

This upsets me, obviously, but that little detail cracks me up. I'm bisexual. It's just that when people are homophobic but bad at it, I have to take in that dark humor. For instance, once in high school I was in the locker room and I heard this girl asking her friend, "Hey, what's the word for gay but like for a girl?" and her friend didn't know so she said, "Whatever I'll just use the other one." and they walked by me and screamed "GIRL F*G!!!" I cracked up. Maybe this isn't funny to anybody else but man, if they're gonna hate me, at least they're hilariously incompetent at it.

That aside, this is a very real problem. I remember doing Day of Silence. Even some teachers got passive aggressive about it so this sort of response isn't shocking.

However, despite this, I believe that millennial, my generation, are still more tolerant than the past. It just won't ever come all at once.

It's good that you can have a sense of humor about it. You would have been within your rights to report the little snot.

I agree that things are getting better overall. When Arkansas Gov. Hutchinson spoke about his state's RFRA, he acknowledged that there is a generational divide on this issue, and his own son asked him to not sign it the way it was. I think that 20 years from now, this country will be a lot better because attitudes will have changed.

It's good that you can have a sense of humor about it. You would have been within your rights to report the little snot.

I agree that things are getting better overall. When Arkansas Gov. Hutchinson spoke about his state's RFRA, he acknowledged that there is a generational divide on this issue, and his own son asked him to not sign it the way it was. I think that 20 years from now, this country will be a lot better because attitudes will have changed.

Eh, reporting her might not have done any good. I saw her around but I didn't know her name and without a bunch of witnesses, what does it come to? I think bursting out laughing was hopefully much more effective.

Our administration was actually also extremely anti-gay. They mandated gender segregated assemblies (which were always sexist anyway) but that was a problem for our few transgender students. It was also extremely bad for one particularly flamboyant gay kid -- all his friends were girls and when there was an all-boys assembly, he struggled to find a place he could sit safely/comfortably. Some of the football players wouldn't let him sit down, etc. I wrote a petition against these and other administration policies. I got a few signatures and our librarian, who was South African, personally congratulated me and my friends on it because, "This is what you have to do. I am sick of this. I have seen it before and it doesn't get better until somebody says stop." So the petition changed a few things but the principal said that he felt the "LGBT community at this school acts as bullies to straight students." He said it to the school reporter. It got quoted in the newspaper. We cackled. He just had made himself look foolish. [This was not the only time in my high school career I got in his face but it was the most topical.]

I was also walking with my girlfriend to the gym once and a girl walked by and hissed, "Lesssbians" at us and were were like, "Yep. Glad you know the word. Well done, gold star."

If nothing else, I think everybody knows at least 1+ LGBT person these days. I think things were harder when "the gays" were a mysterious hidden group that didn't go out but now, hate speech has to be more personal. Some people double down on it, but some stop and think twice.

1978-village_people.jpg

To the tune of "YMCA":

Young man, are you dumb as a rock?

I said young man, secretly wanting cock?

I said young man, 'cause you’re closeted now

There's no need for “out and happyâ€

Young man, there's a shirt you can wear

I said young man, that just screams “future bearâ€

You can wear it, and I'm sure you will spy

Many laughing as you pass by

It's fun to see you think FLANNEL’S NOT GAY

You have everything, ‘cept the balls to come out

You can do the Travolta route

You can get yourself straight, you can feel the self-hate

You can go on a fake, sad date…

I am proud to say that I work at a high school in central Illinois with a strong commitment to social justice. While things aren't perfect, there is a real effort to make it a place where all students feel safe and accepted. We've had openly gay administrators and staff members and I think this has really helped normalize attitudes here.

I agree that the administrators at the school in this article need to respond swiftly and strongly. It sounds like the whole district would benefit from some workshops/lessons on diversity, civil rights and civility. I hope there are also some sane parents who demand changes at that school.

Let's pretend this has nothing to do with religion and the Bible verses being used to justify hatred are a total coincidence!

The Bible isn't LITERAL, stupid heathens. I'm a mainstream Christian so that means I'm following my religion correctly and there is nothing wrong with it.

Just in case I'm wrong, can someone prove this was a movement fronted by non-religious students?

Someone on DailyKos said that the picture of the flannel-clad guys arms across each other's shoulders in the hall looked like a meeting of Future Bears of America.

If you don't know what "bears" are in a LGBTQ context, look it up.

Dom Wack Troll,

That was brilliant and made my day!

I've taught at several high schools and that kind of bullshit would never be tolerated with good administration.

Let's pretend this has nothing to do with religion and the Bible verses being used to justify hatred are a total coincidence!

The Bible isn't LITERAL, stupid heathens. I'm a mainstream Christian so that means I'm following my religion correctly and there is nothing wrong with it.

Just in case I'm wrong, can someone prove this was a movement fronted by non-religious students?

What exactly are you trying to prove? You seem to be trying to say, I think, that it's always Christian's ( or other religious people ) who are anti- gay and everyone non- religious is just chock full of acceptance and a champion of equality for all.

Is that what your argument is? It's a phenomenally flawed argument. For one - jerks come in every philosophical bent. Yes, some philosophies promote jerkish beliefs and behaviors more than others. Christianity can go either way. You do have loud, obnoxious Christians who use the bible to attempt to justify persecution against groups of people. You also have Christians who use the bible to promote social justice and inclusion of those same groups.

Individuals can do that with pretty much ANY writing or theory or philosophy or line of thought . Virtually anything the brain can come up with can be twisted towards the positive or the negative.

Also, unless this was planned specifically BY a religious group, the supposed religious affiliation of the teens might be generally meaningless .For example -- 80% of the participants might identify as Christian - but that would mean vastly different things depending on the identification of the general student body: 50%? 80%? 95%? .

If the overwhelming majority of U.S. Christian's were anti -LGBT you wouldn't have a majority of adults support marriage equality in an overwhelmingly Christian country.

What exactly are you trying to prove? You seem to be trying to say, I think, that it's always Christian's ( or other religious people ) who are anti- gay and everyone non- religious is just chock full of acceptance and a champion of equality for all.

Is that what your argument is? It's a phenomenally flawed argument. For one - jerks come in every philosophical bent. Yes, some philosophies promote jerkish beliefs and behaviors more than others. Christianity can go either way. You do have loud, obnoxious Christians who use the bible to attempt to justify persecution against groups of people. You also have Christians who use the bible to promote social justice and inclusion of those same groups.

Individuals can do that with pretty much ANY writing or theory or philosophy or line of thought . Virtually anything the brain can come up with can be twisted towards the positive or the negative.

Also, unless this was planned specifically BY a religious group, the supposed religious affiliation of the teens might be generally meaningless .For example -- 80% of the participants might identify as Christian - but that would mean vastly different things depending on the identification of the general student body: 50%? 80%? 95%? .

If the overwhelming majority of U.S. Christian's were anti -LGBT you wouldn't have a majority of adults support marriage equality in an overwhelmingly Christian country.

Your response came across defensive yet lacking content. You want to claim nonreligious people can be fastidiously homophobic, but deep down you know you can't prove your defense. Is there an even remotely popular secular movement designed to specifically advocate against homosexuality?

Good luck finding that group, ma'am.

Good luck finding that group, ma'am.

I know you're talking about non-religious students, but I'm not sure why. A non-religious person can use the Bible as a weapon just as effectively as a Christian can; if it serves his purposes to claim God says gays should be killed, then he might use whatever weapon at hand to ensure his message gets across.

And more broadly...

Well, homosexuality doesn't even exist in North Korea - LOL! So you won't find anti-gay groups there.

And wasn't homosexuality illegal for a period in the Soviet Union? So...no non-religious homophobia there. :D

I'm genuinely curious - where do you think homophobia comes from?

It's shocking at times to see how bigotry is handed down by parents. My 14 y.o daughter came home very upset not long ago when a teacher ( 8th grade) made some comment about the acceptance of gay marriage and how it's becoming more and more accepted, not overly pro anything and a kid got up out of his chair flipped his desk and strides toward her in a threatening way. He was a big kid and it scared the shit out of my daughter. He was screaming that it's not ok to be gay. Kid got no consequences for his behavior. I'm guessing parents threatened religious persecution.

In another class she wanted to give a speech for gay marriage. I wanted to make sure scary boy was not in class and emailed the teacher with concearns before she did it. I don't even live in a Fundie area.

I know you're talking about non-religious students, but I'm not sure why. A non-religious person can use the Bible as a weapon just as effectively as a Christian can; if it serves his purposes to claim God says gays should be killed, then he might use whatever weapon at hand to ensure his message gets across.

And more broadly...

Well, homosexuality doesn't even exist in North Korea - LOL! So you won't find anti-gay groups there.

And wasn't homosexuality illegal for a period in the Soviet Union? So...no non-religious homophobia there. :D

I'm genuinely curious - where do you think homophobia comes from?

It is relevant. Pay attention to the context of the thread.

North Koreans ARE religious. They worship their leader, believe in prayer and the supernatural. NK is the opposite of secular.

Military states such as the USSR were against homosexuality because their interest was in outnumbering the non-soviets. And again, they may have rejected a god, but they were NOT secular. Worshiping a leader/system is a religious activity. They were also supernaturally inclined--soviets at the time of Lenin's death (and undoubtedly many ex-soviet Russians today) believe Lenin's body is so well-preserves because he is the military/political equivalent of a saint.

I suggest looking up the word "secular."

Archived