IGNORED

What an IDF solider thinks of the name Israel

amyjoyharrison

Here is a really informative article from a former IDF solider. She believes they've done an amazing thing by chosing the name Israel David.

blog.amyjoyharrison.com/2015/04/why-duggar-named-her-baby-israel.html

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching old episodes on Hulu lately, and noticed that the IDF t-shirts show up a lot. The name + t-shirt + flag picture are a clear political statement by the Dillards. In the short term, at least, that statement supports unwavering financial and political support of Israel from the US. Of course Israelis appreciate that support. I do think more people might question the Dillards' motives if they understood the whole rapture-inducing train of thought that underpins fundie-Christians love of Israel.

Here is a really informative article from a former IDF solider. She believes they've done an amazing thing by chosing the name Israel David.

blog.amyjoyharrison.com/2015/04/why-duggar-named-her-baby-israel.html

Yes. You know, it took baby Israel Dillard to out myself in this group. I am a Torah observant Jew and I live in Israel. I don't know what Jill and Derick's vision is for the world's future. The important thing is their support now, that they get it, as the blog linked above explains.

I only skimmed it, but the guest author came off as a fetishist. She says she's not an Israeli citizen yet. I thought Jews were granted citizenship by birth? To be clear, the author doesn't say she's converting, either. She says she married an Israeli, but that doesn't necessarily mean she married a Jew, does it? Who can serve in the IDF?

I am confused by this blog post. AJH lives in Ontario, she is friends with this Michelle Katz-Sigulum? And this friend is the one who was in IDF six years ago, married a soldier two years ago, and lives in Ontario? But Michelle Katz-Sigulum is not Jewish because her mother is Christian? And who can serve in the IDF, no residency requirements or anything?

Holy crap, that is a lot to pin on a kid - sounds almost messianic.

There is a significance and interwoven connection between Israel and Christians. I hope that by having the Dillards name their baby Israel, the world, and specifically Christians, will come to discover and comprehend God’s heart and calling for Christians in regards to Israel and in regards to each and every believer personally.

Poor little boy. There is no discovering who he is or what he is meant to be or what he can or can't do in this life. His parents ordained him as some kind of political figurehead and are playing it up to the hilt from birth.

I cannot imagine this is a thoughtful, well-reasoned ideology out of people like Derick and Jill Dillard. I wonder how much they actually know about history.

I feel sorry for this boy and I wish the Duggars would get off the air and back to their private lives.

The OP linked to her own blog post and her Jewish/Christian not an Israeli citizen friend wrote the article?

Christian Zionism. The Second Coming is at hand.

The OP linked to her own blog post and her Jewish/Christian not an Israeli citizen friend wrote the article?

I did, and yes. That's "kosher" right? :)

She says she married an Israeli, but that doesn't necessarily mean she married a Jew, does it? Who can serve in the IDF?

I believe he's a Jewish Christian also. I actually haven't met her husband...

And great question about serving requirements. I'm going to find out for you.

I am confused by this blog post. AJH lives in Ontario, she is friends with this Michelle Katz-Sigulum? And this friend is the one who was in IDF six years ago, married a soldier two years ago, and lives in Ontario? But Michelle Katz-Sigulum is not Jewish because her mother is Christian? And who can serve in the IDF, no residency requirements or anything?

Michelle and I both live in Ontario, yes. Obviously she lived in Israel when she served. See above, I'll try to find out about the requirements for service.

Help me out, we can't link personal stuff?

There is a rule against self promotion and I reported you.

Help me out, we can't link personal stuff?

I don't make the rules and IDK.

PM Coconut Flan (the mod who broke the link) for clarification and check the TOS.

Yes. You know, it took baby Israel Dillard to out myself in this group. I am a Torah observant Jew and I live in Israel. I don't know what Jill and Derick's vision is for the world's future. The important thing is their support now, that they get it, as the blog linked above explains.

You need to realize that these Christian Zionists are really NOT your friends. They only want the Jews back in Israel so that Jesus can come back. The Jews themselves except for those few who convert to Christianity will be slaughtered in a horrible bloodbath. There's a good argument that the Bible doesn't say that at all and not all Christians believe it, but there is a strong belief in this among fundie/evangelicals/pentecostals.

I don't make the rules and IDK.

PM Coconut Flan (the mod who broke the link) for clarification and check the TOS.

Will do and yes TOU says no self promotion. In my mind I wasn't promoting myself, haha. Lesson learned. Thumbs-up emoji, where are you?

Still waiting on a reply from Michelle about her enlistment requirements but here's a link to their official site:

idfinfo. co.il/ How_To_Enlist.php?cat=a3

You need to realize that these Christian Zionists are really NOT your friends. They only want the Jews back in Israel so that Jesus can come back. The Jews themselves except for those few who convert to Christianity will be slaughtered in a horrible bloodbath. There's a good argument that the Bible doesn't say that at all and not all Christians believe it, but there is a strong belief in this among fundie/evangelicals/pentecostals.

Well, I don't believe that will happen, and in the meantime, Israel receives support.

I only skimmed it, but the guest author came off as a fetishist. She says she's not an Israeli citizen yet. I thought Jews were granted citizenship by birth? To be clear, the author doesn't say she's converting, either. She says she married an Israeli, but that doesn't necessarily mean she married a Jew, does it? Who can serve in the IDF?

A Jew by birth *can* become a citizen of Israel but he or she has to go through the process of doing that. You don't automatically have Israeli citizenship just be being born a Jew anywhere in the world.

A Jew by birth *can* become a citizen of Israel but he or she has to go through the process of doing that. You don't automatically have Israeli citizenship just be being born a Jew anywhere in the world.

Okay, thank you.

From the website OP suggested (bold and italics are from the site):

In order to join the IDF, you must have the right to make Aliyah. This means that you must have at least one Jewish grandparent. If you are not Jewish, and would like to enlist into the IDF, you must convert before making Aliyah or volunteer through Mahal.

So that's something. I hate to be such a skeptic, but Christian Zionists (thank you, Palimpsest, for the term--these people fill me with rage and I can only come up with bad names to call them) are bad news and since learning about them on FJ, it sometimes feels like I see them everywhere.

Well, I don't believe that will happen, and in the meantime, Israel receives support.

I don't believe in Armaggedon, either, but those who do will turn on Jews in an instant.

Wait so Christian Zionists know that Jewish people are gods chosen people but are going to kill them all after Jesus comes back??? How do they think they'll get into heaven?

Isn't the woman you quoted a Messianiast and not an Israeli citizen? Her opinion isn't exactly representative of much.

Here's her reply..

In 1948 when all of the countries attacked Israel right after it had been established a program called Mahal (volunteers from oversee) was started. If it wasn't for the volunteers (or actually Gods protective power) the country surely, in a natural sense, would have lost. The program still continues today. You have to prove you have Jewish heritage (for security reasons) but the program allows you to serve like a regular Israeli soldier, with the exception of a shorter service. It is very rare for female volunteers to do this program, only around 7 a year. Here is more info on it. mahal-idf-volunteers.org

Technically because I did serve and marry an Israeli, I am automatically eligible for citizenship. But I'm waiting to make "Aliyah" (citizenship and the biblical word for ascending) when Moshe and I feel called to move back there. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Archived