IGNORED

Mormons and Early Marriage: Why?

darkplumaged

takers401,

When I read your sentence about the girls' only activities, I read it as "focused on learning to cook, SEX, describing the number of kids we wanted"

Yeah, it's late here.

Hee. That's funny.

I only know two Mormons, brother and sister. The brother is my best friend, but he's gay and gay marriage isn't legal in Colorado yet. His sister is in high school. I don't know how old their parents were when they married.

However I do come from a small town on the border of North Carolina and Virginia, and it's like nearly everyone I graduated high school with is married and/or having children. I go to a university in a larger city 4.5 hours away, and I don't know anyone who is engaged, married, pregnant, or a parent.

I don't know why, but a lot of the Mormons who get married in their early 20's, get married like three months after their first date.

"After our first date, Thomas called his mother to tell her that he had found his future wife and theree months later we were sealed in the Temple..." :shock:

I'm 20 and two people from my class are married with babies already. My university housemate and I are both thinking of getting married after university, when I'll be 23 and she'll be 21. My cousin married at 24 and my other school friend at 21. I'm not from a particularly religious background and not all of the above people even go to church.

I think it's changing for the current crop of young women. Compared to our parents who put off marriage and babies to be the first generation of 'career women', I think nowadays a lot more of us want to have marriage and babies younger (whilst we have the energy) and then think about really moving up the career ladder once we hit our thirties.

I'm 20 and two people from my class are married with babies already. My university housemate and I are both thinking of getting married after university, when I'll be 23 and she'll be 21. My cousin married at 24 and my other school friend at 21. I'm not from a particularly religious background and not all of the above people even go to church.

I think it's changing for the current crop of young women. Compared to our parents who put off marriage and babies to be the first generation of 'career women', I think nowadays a lot more of us want to have marriage and babies younger (whilst we have the energy) and then think about really moving up the career ladder once we hit our thirties.

Interesting point. Presented with the option, I might have gotten married at, say, 24 or 25, but I never felt that it was up to me. Most men around here aren't interested in marriage until their late 20s at the very earliest, and I wouldn't have meshed with a guy that much older than me when I was in my early 20s; I was very immature in those days.

Archived