IGNORED

Bible Thumping Principal Gets Exposed By Student (AUDIO)

doggie

Nothing like a christian thinks they can do anything they want in the name of god. The arrogance and ignorance when christians think all you need is the bible to be a good person proving it does not even work on them.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/03/05 ... principal/

A high school student in White Oak, Texas, recently released recordings of their principal reading biblical passages of the loudspeaker. The student alleges that this isn’t uncommon, his principal reads bible verses along with the daily announcements every day. This is of course, in direct violation of the separation of church and state.

The recordings were sent to the blogger Hemant Mehta (aka “The Friendly Atheistâ€) by a student at the school. Writing for Patheos, Mehta reports:

I wonder what Monday, March 8th will be like at this school. The principal might pretend that he never read Bible verses at school, or he may dig in his heels and keep expressing his religious views. I hope there is some follow up from the media because I hate not knowing how a story ends. I also hope no one ever figures out who the kid is who reported this.

Cue the death threat from the "good Christians" against this student (who did the right thing) and his or her family.

Cue the death threat from the "good Christians" against this student (who did the right thing) and his or her family.

That's my fear. It takes a lot of guts to stand up against the status quo.

I see that this school has been warned before about religion during school or school events. The district has denied doing it. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... uncements/

Scroll to the bottom and see the update. It links to the district's response to the FFRF.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... s-neutral/

The superintendent is backing the prinicipal. He says Bible verses are okay if they are presented in a neutral manner. Also, the FFRF has very few members in Texas so who cares.

FFRF is asking for a current student to come forward so a lawsuit can be filed to stop the religious indoctrination at this school. Alumni have expressed regret that they didn't speak up when they were students, but that's not good enough for a lawsuit.

Can you imagine how strong a teen would have to be to be the one to come forward? I'm the mom of a teen, and the two of us have talked about this situation. I'm trying to raise her to be the type of person who would speak up and seek justice. Some families, however, would ostracize a kid for doing that.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/03/11/texas-superintendent-defends-principal-who-reads-bible-verses-during-announcements-calling-his-actions-neutral/

The superintendent is backing the prinicipal. He says Bible verses are okay if they are presented in a neutral manner. Also, the FFRF has very few members in Texas so who cares.

FFRF is asking for a current student to come forward so a lawsuit can be filed to stop the religious indoctrination at this school. Alumni have expressed regret that they didn't speak up when they were students, but that's not good enough for a lawsuit.

Can you imagine how strong a teen would have to be to be the one to come forward? I'm the mom of a teen, and the two of us have talked about this situation. I'm trying to raise her to be the type of person who would speak up and seek justice. Some families, however, would ostracize a kid for doing that.

It's not neutral unless he's including passages from other sacred scriptures. If Christian scripture is the only texts he's choosing, then there is a clear leaning towards Christianity.

edited to make myself clearer

It's not neutral unless he's including passages from other sacred scriptures. If Christian scripture is the only texts he's choosing, then there is a clear leaning towards Christianity.

Yeah, but needs a current student to stand up. A John Doe lawsuit can be filed. That doesn't mean that the school won't try to do its damndest to find out who the person(s) are. In Santa Fe School District v. Doe (also a Texas case), the Does were Mormon and Catholic high school students. The judge hearing the case (not the Supreme Court, the federal district court judge) had to warn the school district NOT to try and find out who the students were. I mention this case here as it is somewhat relevant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe_I ... ict_v._Doe

The Friendly Atheist reports that the district is backing down and will no longer read Bible verses along with the morning announcements. patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/03/15/texas-school-district-says-principal-will-stop-reading-bible-verses-during-morning-announcements/

Yay! :thumbsup3:

Even if he's choosing other faiths scriptures, there's still people who are atheist. Is he going to quote Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens or Richard Dawkins as well?

The only place I see religion having a place in school is in a Philosophy class, in a History class to describe how "X war was due to conflicts between this-religion and that-religion", or in an English class to show the authors intent or to discuss themes like Dominionism in 19th century literature.

Archived