IGNORED

Praying Over Fajitas pisses god off

doggie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a friend whose husband prays - out loud - in coffee shops before taking his first sip. Of course, not in Starbucks, though.

Who the hell seriously prays over their drink? That friend's husband is joking, right?

Whether or not the waitress warned him is debateable since I wasn't there. But didn't the sizzling noises and smoke give him a clue that it was hot? Or did he think the smoke was the Holy Spirit manifesting itself? And is there a certain range in which prayers must be said to ensure that food is properly blessed?

We are a country that has become so fucking stupid that everyone has to be warned of the fucking obvious. If you flat-iron your eyelashes because their wasn't a warning, TOO BAD. If you pour bottle of bleach into your eye because the bottle didn't say not to, you deserve what you get. I favor removing warnings about the goddamned obvious.

Couldn't he have just sort of prayed in the direction of the hot fajitas? One of the things I've gathered over the years is that God is smart and will get the general idea of what you're doing. It's not necessary to put your eyeballs within spitting distance of hot grease in order to thank Him.

God made me spit my wine out and choke painfully when I read this! B*stard that he is. :lol:

Reading this thread made me crave fajitas, so guess what I'll be anti-fasting with this weekend? Except if I get popped in the face with my own cooking oil, I'll just assume it's a wink from God, wipe it off, and get on with getting my grub on.

At Chili's last night, I failed to pray over my fajitas, and God punished me by putting cilantro in my rice.

At Chili's last night, I failed to pray over my fajitas, and God punished me by putting cilantro in my rice.

Thy god is a jealous and vengeful god.

(to me cilantro tastes like gnawing on a bar of Ivory soap!)

Thy god is a jealous and vengeful god.

(to me cilantro tastes like gnawing on a bar of Ivory soap!)

I remember reading years ago that cilantro is one of those things that some people taste one way and some taste another way -- not just the normal range of people liking or not liking, but that it actually tastes different to some people than to others, and the bad is really, really bad. Like gnawing on a bar of Ivory soap bad.

I'm one of those who realized at some point in my adult life that while I love chocolate as much as the next person, I would, if forced to choose, prefer to give up chocolate than to give up cilantro. :pink-shock:

God hates those who eat at Applebee's. He was going to pay one way or another.

Cilantro is amazing!

I remember reading years ago that cilantro is one of those things that some people taste one way and some taste another way -- not just the normal range of people liking or not liking, but that it actually tastes different to some people than to others, and the bad is really, really bad. Like gnawing on a bar of Ivory soap bad.

I'm one of those who realized at some point in my adult life that while I love chocolate as much as the next person, I would, if forced to choose, prefer to give up chocolate than to give up cilantro. :pink-shock:

I saw a paper on it somewhere in a journal, looks like it could be a genetic thing.

To people that like the stuff, what does it taste like. To me, it really does taste just like soap.

Just like asparagus causing stinky pee it is a genetic thing if you don't have the gene your pee does not stink and without the gene you can't smell it.

I wouldn't describe it as tasting like asparagus—it's sharper and more...herbal? It can add zest to a dish, but I can also see how it could taste like soap to some people.

Is powdered coriander also inedible to people who don't like cilantro?

I can't find anything else even close to it in taste in order to describe it. Yes, it's tangy and herbal, but it's got a *something* that is very distinct from any other herbs and from any other kind of tangy.

It's an acquired taste, for sure.

*IDEA* -- I want someone to make cilantro-scented soap! For those in the Twin2 category, it will (maybe) smell appropriately soapish, and for those of us who like cilantro, it will smell delightfully like that!

I'm curious about the coriander question too -- I've used coriander (the seeds) occasionally but I don't have the sense that they hold that same unique taste as the leaves do. Have you ever tried the powder/seeds, Twin2?

I can't find anything else even close to it in taste in order to describe it. Yes, it's tangy and herbal, but it's got a *something* that is very distinct from any other herbs and from any other kind of tangy.

It's an acquired taste, for sure.

*IDEA* -- I want someone to make cilantro-scented soap! For those in the Twin2 category, it will (maybe) smell appropriately soapish, and for those of us who like cilantro, it will smell delightfully like that!

I'm curious about the coriander question too -- I've used coriander (the seeds) occasionally but I don't have the sense that they hold that same unique taste as the leaves do. Have you ever tried the powder/seeds, Twin2?

I have some ground coriander seeds in the cupboard. I just tired a bit of it. That doesn't taste like soap, that has kind of a lemony-woody taste to it. I don't use it a whole lot, can't even remember what recipe I bought it for, I don't dislike it, but I don't go out of my way to use it either.

I have some ground coriander seeds in the cupboard. I just tired a bit of it. That doesn't taste like soap, that has kind of a lemony-woody taste to it. I don't use it a whole lot, can't even remember what recipe I bought it for, I don't dislike it, but I don't go out of my way to use it either.

I just had this bizarre feeling that somewhere out there is a person who's tasted lemon-scented Pledge and has discovered it tastes like Coriander seeds. :shock:

I understand -- it's not a common spice. I have some too but rarely use it. It's connected to the cilantro taste, to me, but in a limited way. I can see how someone might enjoy/tolerate one but not the other.

I just had this bizarre feeling that somewhere out there is a person who's tasted lemon-scented Pledge and has discovered it tastes like Coriander seeds. :shock:

OK, you just reminded me of something bizarre, that I've never had an opportunity to ask anyone about yet.

I taste/smell a similarity between parmesan cheese and pineapple juice.

I eat parmesan cheese often, and love the taste and smell of it. Every once in a while I am around pineapple juice or pineapple-coconut juice, and that smell usually reminds me of parmesan. Am I just :cray-cray: or could they have some chemical similarity?? Anyone else ever notice this?

I understand -- it's not a common spice. I have some too but rarely use it. It's connected to the cilantro taste, to me, but in a limited way. I can see how someone might enjoy/tolerate one but not the other.

OK, you just reminded me of something bizarre, that I've never had an opportunity to ask anyone about yet.

I taste/smell a similarity between parmesan cheese and pineapple juice.

I eat parmesan cheese often, and love the taste and smell of it. Every once in a while I am around pineapple juice or pineapple-coconut juice, and that smell usually reminds me of parmesan. Am I just :cray-cray: or could they have some chemical similarity?? Anyone else ever notice this?

Ah, it's just the methyl hexanoates!

Read all about it here (spoiler alert: you ain't cray-cray, not about this at least):

http://blog.khymos.org/molecular-gastro ... r-pairing/

Ah, it's just the methyl hexanoates!

Read all about it here (spoiler alert: you ain't cray-cray, not about this at least):

http://blog.khymos.org/molecular-gastro ... r-pairing/

Wow, thank you! I love when I discover something like this -- fascinating...

(And knowing I'm not crazy (at least about this) is nice too.)

I bet you never thought you'd have an opportunity to share that information on a discussion board about religion... :lol:

Thanks again!

I have cilantro and lime soap here somewhere. It's AWESOME.

ALL THE CILANTRO. FOREVER. *happydance*

Holy crap. Putting cilantro in soap has never occurred to me.

I love coriander, fresh, seeds, whatever. How else do you make curries or salsa, without it?

I love coriander, fresh, seeds, whatever. How else do you make curries or salsa, without it?

Quite easily, I just leave it out. If I didn't my salsa would taste like a big old of bowl of dishsoap.

Come on, there has to be some other cilantro haters here on FJ!

Ooh, I love to pick it fresh and let the smell linger on my hands!

Sorry! :D :lol:

Archived