IGNORED

Duggars Vs. Bates

singsingsing

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ksgranola1 said:

I meant that she has blonde hair & blue eyes. I never met a blonde Latino.

You really need to examine some of what you post before you post it. Your post history indicates you married into an Italian family. Common stereotyping would be to say all Italians have dark complexions. That's bullshit. I believe Northern Italy has a fair amount of blue eyed blonds.

For someone who claims to have traveled to other countries you appear woefully ignorant about diversity that can exist within a population.

Funny how you only respond to certain posts. I'm still interested in an actual answer to myself and @MarblesMom

I'll wait. :562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

Wow. When I first saw Marjorie nothing about her "ethnicity" took my notice at all. What goes here? I would not have been able to comment on her ethnicity if asked.

Duggars/Bates

A  policeman married to a woman with a billing degree. 

An student, who has had a nanny job married to an ATI worker.

A piano player and teacher with a musical degree (I don't know if the degree is legal or not, but she's earning money teaching) married to a  metal worker.

A woman with no degree nor job, married to a man with a job in air conditioning. 

On the other side:

A man with no degree fired from a political job because abuse and cheating scandals, married yo a woman with no degree no job.

Twins, no degree, no married. Woman no job, raising siblings. Man has a business.

Woman with no legal degree but working as midwife. Married to a man who left a good job in accounts. Ministering in central america. No jobs.

A woman, no degree no job, married to a teenager studying and singing.

So... Yes, Bates win. 

2 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

So... Yes, Bates win. 

Win what? lol

An asshole fundie contest? =P

Because, honestly, both families win awards for that in equal measure. =)

This is not the first time @ksgranola1 has posted something that has made me want to channel Paddington Bear's Hard Stare.  Someone is forgetting her manners - or worse.

It may be an unintentional and unfortunate choice of language but there is a time to consider rephrasing something, explaining, and apologizing, rather than digging yourself a deeper hole.  

Just a gentle bit of help here, but when people say things like "I never met" what that basically says about yourself is that you're not thinking of stuff beyond your own small, personal experiences. Try and think of the bigger picture. Broaden your horizons. Learn about stuff. You know? =)

50 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Duggars/Bates

A  policeman married to a woman with a billing degree. 

Cult member married non-cult member, seemingly converted her and got into politics and government

An student, who has had a nanny job married to an ATI worker.

Cult member married another cult member and works for cult.

A piano player and teacher with a musical degree (I don't know if the degree is legal or not, but she's earning money teaching) married to a  metal worker.

Cult member married another cult member and does cult approved things.

A woman with no degree nor job, married to a man with a job in air conditioning. 

Cult  member married another cult member supports and campaigns for dangerous cult member politician.

On the other side:

A man with no degree fired from a political job because abuse and cheating scandals, married yo a woman with no degree no job.

Cult member married cult member, messed up so badly no one will ever take him seriously again

Twins, no degree, no married. Woman no job, raising siblings. Man has a business.

Cult members aren't making anymore babies for the cult.

Woman with no legal degree but working as midwife. Married to a man who left a good job in accounts. Ministering in central america. No jobs.

Cult member married non-cult member both go to another country to basically do nothing.

A woman, no degree no job, married to a teenager studying and singing.

Cult member marries non-cult member, have baby, but really don't do much.

So... Yes, Bates win. 

So yes, the Bates do when it comes to successfully indoctrinating their children in a cult and making sure everyone stays in line. They also win when it comes to expanding the cult. 

1 hour ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Win what? lol

An asshole fundie contest? =P

Because, honestly, both families win awards for that in equal measure. =)

I mean Duggars are extremely weird and without skills (even Derrick who has a good job left it) and Bates have normal jobs and more normal lifes.

No, Bates aren't good. But Duggars have worst lifes and worst future.

2 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

In Mexico blonde people are not inusual, specially in medium/high society, because they come from European inmigrants of XIX and XX century.

There are a lot of blonde or at least white skinned/light hair cubans. 

I don't know if you consider Argentina/Chile latinos or not, but the most of them are white with light eyes.

I don't like this kind of conversation but still. I'm from Spain and blondes are common,  but Americans still seem to think we're all black haired and "passional".  One of the places with more blondes is Andalucia (Seville) because English/German inmigration in past centuries. So typical  Spanish is brunette, but blonde is also normal.

15 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

In Mexico blonde people are not inusual, specially in medium/high society, because they come from European inmigrants of XIX and XX century.

I don't know if you consider Argentina/Chile latinos or not, but the most of them are white with light eyes.

I don't like this kind of conversation but still. I'm from Spain and blondes are common,  but Americans still seem to think we're all black haired and "passional".  One of the places with more blondes is Andalucia (Seville) because English/German inmigration in past centuries. So typical  Spanish is brunette, but blonde is also normal.

Heck, Catherine of Aragon looked more stereotypically Irish in real life than the Irish actress who played her on The Tudors! (For those who don't watch hilariously historically inaccurate soap operas, Catherine of Aragon is documented as having red hair, light eyes, and very pale skin, and the actress who played her on The Tudors, Maria Doyle Kennedy, is an Irish woman with olive-ish skin, dark hair, and dark brown eyes).

3 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Heck, Catherine of Aragon looked more stereotypically Irish in real life than the Irish actress who played her on The Tudors! (For those who don't watch hilariously historically inaccurate soap operas, Catherine of Aragon is documented as having red hair, light eyes, and very pale skin, and the actress who played her on The Tudors, Maria Doyle Kennedy, is an Irish woman with olive-ish skin, dark hair, and dark brown eyes).

I'm from Aragon! It's Aragon "national"  day today, Saint George's day.

No kidding!

43 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I mean Duggars are extremely weird and without skills (even Derrick who has a good job left it) and Bates have normal jobs and more normal lifes.

No, Bates aren't good. But Duggars have worst lifes and worst future.

:deadhorse:, but:

I'm not worried about the (most of the) Duggars future. The Duggars/Dillard/Seewald have some skills and real college degrees. A few of the kidults have real estate and commericial driving lincenses. JD has a pilot lincense.  I agree with those who think they would have real jobs without TLC.  The new Duggar show is all about the kidults and married couples, so I assume they're making money. They don't need "real" jobs :shrug:  It will be see interesting to what happens when the Bates and Duggars lose their tv shows.

eta: Jessa also earns money as a speaker. She had a mini tour last year and a couple of events this year.

Being on reality television is actually a job. And if it all dries up tomorrow, I'm not worried one tiny bit. They will figure out how to live in the real world just like they would have done if TLC had never come knocking.  

14 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I'm from Aragon! It's Aragon "national"  day today, Saint George's day.

No kidding!

:pb_lol: I was born in Zaragoza (only born), but i thought it was tomorrow

15 minutes ago, Kira said:

:deadhorse:, but:

I'm not worried about the (most of the) Duggars future. The Duggars/Dillard/Seewald have some skills and real college degrees. A few of the kidults have real estate and commericial driving lincenses. JD has a pilot lincense.  I agree with those who think they would have real jobs without TLC.  The new Duggar show is all about the kidults and married couples, so I assume they're making money. They don't need "real" jobs :shrug:  It will be see interesting to what happens when the Bates and Duggars lose their tv shows.

eta: Jessa also earns money as a speaker. She had a mini tour last year and a couple of events this year.

Which kids have real estate licenses- link please.

Thanks

3 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Hi there!  My mother was blonde and blue eyed--born in Cuba, Spanish grandparents.  I have hazel eyes and the very fair skin associated with blondes. I could dye my hair (which used to be brown but is now gray) blonde and look as though I had been born blonde. My brother and one of our cousins have blue eyes.  Another cousin had golden hair and brown eyes. All of us are "Latino." 

Hispanics come in many different colors, shapes and persuasions. ;) 

23 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Thanks

I read somewhere that Joseph waas studying to get his real estate lincense. The article said some of the the boys have real estate lincenses.

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

My family is mostly from Galicia and Asturias and although we have some brunettes, we have more people with fair skin and light eyes.  I have a cousin in Mexico whose hair is naturally light brown, but her husband likes her with blonde-red streaks.  She is striking, but, as you say, not that unusual among the middle classes.  

I grew up in Puerto Rico, and although the majority of the people there are mixed race, the mixture produces blondes or at least fair skinned brunettes with blue or gray eyes on occasion.

In short, "Hispanic" is more a cultural than "racial" category.

( I agree, it is not a good topic, but I feel we need to set the record straight.)

On April 22, 2016 at 0:19 PM, Palimpsest said:

Not an escapee but a macro MSW.

I think there is a crying need for services for cult survivors.  It is a complex issue and I think it is an area that needs specialized study and training.   If you are serious about wanting to specialize in treating cult survivors then this is the time to look at your electives, the possibility of independent study, and research field education possibilities in that area.  Good luck.

Useful link:  http://www.icsahome.com/home

Palimpsest, thanks for posting that link :)

19 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I don't think this is quoting properly, but @formergothardite,  your post was brilliant.  I loved the way you clearly illustrated the cultist marriages of the Bates.  It is so easy to be taken in by the Bates because their public persona is so much more likeable than the Duggars, but your bolded 'rewrites' really show the difference. 

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I grew up in Puerto Rico, and although the majority of the people there are mixed race, the mixture produces blondes or at least fair skinned brunettes with blue or gray eyes on occasion.

In short, "Hispanic" is more a cultural than "racial" category.

The best way I've heard it framed was as a question: Have you heard of the country Hispania?

That's okay, because none of us has heard of this country.  It's an invented category.  The history of the indigenous meeting with the colonizers and the slaves is complex and multi-faceted, with a LOT of time involved. The lightest to the darkest amongst us could fall into that category, provided our parents were from the right places and spoke Spanish, Portuguese, or an indigenous language.   

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Thanks

I think we need to remember that the Duggars have a way of exaggerating, (remember Jana being a concert pianist?)  So when they claim to be working in real estate or that they have a license, I am suspect.  That would be like them trying to claim that Jinger is a used car saleswoman.  They might help out with JB's real estate ventures, but I don't believe any of them are selling property on their own. 

When Jessa made that claim, that she and Ben work in Real Estate in her Dad's business,  I took that to mean that Ben gets to clean the toilets on the properties that JB owns, and Jessa gets to maybe help with some of the paperwork at the very most. 

Archived