IGNORED

Article similar to Lori's advice, but sane

Occasionally, I'll read Lori's blog and think that she kinda sorta has a good point....and then she'll assume that all women are just controlling bitches like her and preach unconditional submission to husbands and the point is lost.

I saw this article on a Facebook feed, and it sounds a bit like what Lori's original valid point might have sounded like, if she hadn't ruined it by being Lori and sticking in all that other crap.

www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/610/I-Wasn-t-Tre ... asn-t-Fair

No, not every woman is like this. Yes, men can sometimes do the same thing. I have seen situations like this, though, and have to agree that it's a pretty bad dynamic for a marriage. I like the idea of someone who gets angry over little things taking a step back, thinking about the good things about their partner, realizing that they are getting annoying over trivia, and looking at their own response and seeing how it may be disrespectful/scary/out of proportion.

• 1 month later...

I think that's part of the danger with Lori. If you come from a conservative Christian upbringing (especially in the South), most of what she posts is along the general lines of what you've been taught: husband first, keep the house, husband first, always look presentable, husband first, stay home with your kids, and did I mention husband first? So many of her lessons start off like that, and they seem a bit like what Mama has taught ya.

And then one sentence totally derails the whole idea into crazy fundie-dom, and suddenly it's not as digestible. It would be hard to be a young girl reading that without the life experience or discernment to tell what is healthy and what isn't.

Also...I would bet a lot of the men out there still living with women who flip out over hamburger meat would rather be married to Lori, who would at least worship the ground beneath their feet than spazz about lean-to-fat ratio. I'm glad she's aware of it, but reading that made me so sad for her husband!

Archived