IGNORED

Role of personality type?

2xx1xy1JD

I recently did a couple of those online personality quizzes, and I'm an INTJ. Had some fun reading about my type and nodding along, saying "YES! That's me exactly!"

It did make me wonder, though, how someone's "type" affects things like debate style and views on all fundie issues.

For example, my type description says that I'm likely to be intelligent, logical, and someone who likes to plan. I'm also less interested in social niceties, following a crowd or hiding my impatience with stupid people.

So, I'm wondering:

- do I really come across as an elitist asshole? [You can answer honestly. INTJs don't care]

- does this explain why I hate anyone talking about "typical female thinking"? Since this type is relatively less common, and since it's twice as common in men as women, I've got this picture of Ken pointing and saying "Exception!", while Lori simply ignores any personality type other than her own. It may, however, also explain why I have male friends and find it hard to relate to some women.

- is it REALLY that weird to prefer the idea of taking a class to partying?

- does this have anything to do with the fact that I will debate others and analyze arguments no problem, and have no idea why others feel offended by this? Is this why I really can't stand a lot of social justice activism even though the goals generally line up with my values? [i remember an old board where I used to post. The people who, on paper, had the most in common with me drove me crazy because they spent a lot of time being hurt and offended. Meanwhile, I tended to hang out in the controversial debate area with 2 other women, both quite different in terms of views, who could argue passionately without making it personal. Now I wonder if they were also the same personality type.]

- is this why I can't stand anything that's oversimplified, esp. in religion or politics? And why part of me really wants to respond with links to snopes and be pretty blunt whenever someone attempts to mass email or post bullshit?

I don't know what my "type" is but I am always amazed at people who get deeply offended when they post some easily disproved item on FB and I provide a link to show that it simply isn't true. I have had some friends on FB delete my link and continue posting the things that they know aren't true. I decided that perhaps they are embarrassed that they got publically proven wrong, so I started sending the information through a FB message and got the same reaction, so it seems that some people just do not want to know the truth. So I've stopped doing it because it appears to make people hate me. If I post something that isn't true(and I have done that before) when someone shows me I'm wrong I am embarrassed that I didn't research before posting it, but I'm glad to know the truth.

i'm an intj as well :greetings-wavingyellow: i am definitely far from the idea of a "typical woman". i love old cartoons, gaming, wrestling, and hockey. i only occasionally wear skirts/dresses and vastly prefer loose jeans with a geeky t-shirt. i also can barely do my hair to save my life and have only recently started doing much with my makeup (but still not a whole lot).

i'm pretty logical when it comes to debating. i bested my dad twice, on fb, when he failed to post any links supporting his position while i posted several (the last debate, he tried to say that waterboarding wasn't torture...uh huh, tell me another one).

if possible, i would love to be a lifelong student. i loved taking most of my classes in college (except math, although the teacher was awesome, i just hate math) and if i could get paid to do that, i would love to! so, i definitely understand the going to class vs. partying preference. i'm not a huge social person and i don't like being around a lot of people for too long. it wears me out!

so, i guess, tl;dr...if you're weird, you're in good company. :D

I recently did a couple of those online personality quizzes, and I'm an INTJ. Had some fun reading about my type and nodding along, saying "YES! That's me exactly!"

It did make me wonder, though, how someone's "type" affects things like debate style and views on all fundie issues.

For example, my type description says that I'm likely to be intelligent, logical, and someone who likes to plan. I'm also less interested in social niceties, following a crowd or hiding my impatience with stupid people.

So, I'm wondering:

- do I really come across as an elitist asshole? [You can answer honestly. INTJs don't care] Bahahaha! Not to me, but you might if I weren't (also) an elitist asshole.

- does this explain why I hate anyone talking about "typical female thinking"? Since this type is relatively less common, and since it's twice as common in men as women, I've got this picture of Ken pointing and saying "Exception!", while Lori simply ignores any personality type other than her own. It may, however, also explain why I have male friends and find it hard to relate to some women. I think basic reluctance to reduce a person to a stereotype is probably more why you hate the idea of "typical female thinking."

- is it REALLY that weird to prefer the idea of taking a class to partying? No, I do too.

- does this have anything to do with the fact that I will debate others and analyze arguments no problem, and have no idea why others feel offended by this? Is this why I really can't stand a lot of social justice activism even though the goals generally line up with my values? [i remember an old board where I used to post. The people who, on paper, had the most in common with me drove me crazy because they spent a lot of time being hurt and offended. Meanwhile, I tended to hang out in the controversial debate area with 2 other women, both quite different in terms of views, who could argue passionately without making it personal. Now I wonder if they were also the same personality type.] This is interesting. I'm quite good at not getting my feelings hurt (I've learned that), but I'm pretty in tune with why others get offended when they do-- perhaps that's my F as opposed to your T coming out.

- is this why I can't stand anything that's oversimplified, esp. in religion or politics? And why part of me really wants to respond with links to snopes and be pretty blunt whenever someone attempts to mass email or post bullshit? I'm an ass and do this ALL. THE. TIME. It will be a Facebook friend I don't really even know anymore, and if the link is stupid enough, I'll just link to Snopes with the message, "This is untrue." I usually feel both vindicated and like an insufferable dick afterwards. Oh, I also ALWAYS want to argue the opposite if I get the feeling someone is oversimplifying things, even if I lean more towards their view.

I recently tested as an INFJ, so I can relate to many of the points you raised. I've answered in bold. 8-)

I've done those, I'm also INTJ and it seems something even more specific called mastermind, which iirc is that I will follow someone I perceive as a good leader but in absence of good leadership will step up to lead.

It's been some time and I did it at least twice over the span of a number of years, and got the same results.

You don't seem like an elitist asshole to me but definitely intelligent and well-thought.

The ex-h used to tell me I was more like a man and he was more like a woman - I've known forever that I'm like this. I always wanted to stretch my brain and compete as an equal with males, the concepts of being meek and playing dumb to get a boy just horrified me. I wanted to be accepted by males as an equal - not three feet behind, pretty and silent.

So how the heck did I end up such a conservative Christian? Broken parts of me, I suppose.

For so long, I would rather have an animated, intense conversation with someone who thinks totally different than me but has passionate, articulated opinions. Can't stand conversations with mealy-mouth people, probably why the Duggar kids annoy me in that aspect, that episode where they went to the Creation Museum and the TH's after... OMG.. shoot me plz... nothing but hemming and hawing.. 'but the Bible sez...." uugghh I know the Bible says, I took geology and astronomy in college and continue to enjoy ruminating and speculating and learning in those areas... I'm still a Christian... there's more to the discussion than 'the Bible sez.'

Anyway, again.. no you do not come off to me as elitist asshole but since I am likely one myself, I am probably not the best judge of that. :D

I don't know what my "type" is but I am always amazed at people who get deeply offended when they post some easily disproved item on FB and I provide a link to show that it simply isn't true. I have had some friends on FB delete my link and continue posting the things that they know aren't true. I decided that perhaps they are embarrassed that they got publically proven wrong, so I started sending the information through a FB message and got the same reaction, so it seems that some people just do not want to know the truth. So I've stopped doing it because it appears to make people hate me. If I post something that isn't true(and I have done that before) when someone shows me I'm wrong I am embarrassed that I didn't research before posting it, but I'm glad to know the truth.

Some of us were just born as fact checkers and no we aren't generally appreciated in wild world of Facebook. I don't read or post there much at all because of it.

INFJ here too...

And, yes, I have many more masculine traits than feminine traits. Sports, cars, engineering...yeah. Chick flicks, shopping...no. It's probably why I was reputed to be a lesbian in high school...but...I know I'm straight. When I WOULD show up at a school function with my boyfriend, heads would spin...LOL

Now...I'm old, cranky and even more of an introvert. I LOVE being alone, love my solitude. I would probably never leave the house if I didn't have to work.

INFP.

What fits: tender-hearted, dreadfully untidy, mostly conflict-avoidant unless I believe that my avoiding conflict will lead to others being hurt. But kick me in one of my core values, and you will hurt your foot.

2xx1xy1JD, I definitely don't think it's weird to prefer class to partying. I can't even count the number of times I was kicked out of the library at closing time on a Friday night. So peaceful.

This was mine:

post-10046-14451999872941_thumb.jpg

from here: humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp if anyone else wants to take it :)

So basically Spock at a party intentionally? :lol: I used to be more introverted, but maybe doing more because of the kids has slowly changed that.

And honestly imo none of the posters on FJ are elitist assholes at all. This is a very respectful board. We just have different ways of expressing what we think about issues, but it's done politely. It all works together; our comments resonate with others on an individual level. Imho no one who is respectfully sharing should apologize for their opinion, or how it's expressed.

Definitely would call Ken and CM assholes, but they earn it.

Hi! Chiming in as a fellow IN T/F J, by which I mean I fall somewhere on the border between the two. It's interesting to see what parts of each I have. I'm definitely good at turning off emotions and having a logical debate if the situation warrents it, but I can also be very conflict avoidant if my "shields" are not up.

I know I used to be much more T when I was younger, so it's interesting to see how these personality profiles change over time.

INFJ here too...

And, yes, I have many more masculine traits than feminine traits. Sports, cars, engineering...yeah. Chick flicks, shopping...no. It's probably why I was reputed to be a lesbian in high school...but...I know I'm straight. When I WOULD show up at a school function with my boyfriend, heads would spin...LOL

Now...I'm old, cranky and even more of an introvert. I LOVE being alone, love my solitude. I would probably never leave the house if I didn't have to work.

I'm also an INFJudging you (which is a joke!). I've always found and focused on my own interests regardless of what's "popular" or "accepted" -- as well as sticking to my "convictions". Which are much different than they were ten years ago. And, while I'd love for grunge to be fashionable again, it's not because of "approval" so much as convenience. I'd like inexpensive flannel shirts again, not hipster flannel at hipster prices.

And I LOVE my solitude. I like my people, too, but I'd be happy to have a small house/apartment with just me and whatever animals have claimed me as their own.

INTJ here as well. For me the following's quite accurate:

k0k12f.jpg

So true!

What's funny is that my dad is an even more extreme INTJ than I am, although he's quieter and not as snarky. He is relentlessly logical. I remember my late grandmother, who was very much a lady, was also like this. With both of them, I knew that I was loved, but they didn't spend a lot of time being really mushy, and they never had emotional outbursts. My dad and I used to take the commuter train together - we'd often sit in silence the whole way, but you could tell from the way that he always saved me a seat that he really wanted me to be with him. My grandmother dealt with any crisis by planning. Widowed at age 40 with kids? She proudly showed me the notebooks she kept from managing properties, which is how she paid her bills. When her 2nd husband collapsed at our house, she immediately thought about doing CPR while my other grandmother was freaking out. I also see it in Girl 2 - when she was younger, she'd get totally impatient with her friends for acting like little kids, even though they WERE little kids.

It makes sense that there are a bunch of us here!

I remember mine has an E and a J... and it was pretty accurate. I would argue with Robert until I got bored. I'd call him an idiot asshole, too... because, as someone said, I just don't care. I would NOT do well as a fundy wife.

I'm either INFP or INFJ depending on the test and time of year :) I've been called an "elitist", I have no tolerance for idiocy or bullshit, but I've learned when to just roll my eyes and let go (like at work, for instance).

I would probably prefer to be a lifelong student but depends on the courses. Anthropology/cultural studies? YES. Psychology classes where half of the students need analysis themselves? No thanks.

(Oops there's that ~elitist~ thing again!)

I'm INFJ, although pretty deeply feminine - I'd question gendering personality traits so much. Heck, as someone who is of nonbinary gender, I wouldn't give interests like gaming or makeup gender either. They're just interests. Women are actually a bigger market for gaming believe it or not, so it's just as feminine as makeup.

Sorry, I find labelling chick flicks/shopping/makeup as feminine and therefore less interesting to be super problematic from a feminist viewpoint. You can have a low tolerance for bullshit and idiocy and still love shopping and makeup.

According to the vague free tests online, I am INFJ the care taker, apparently only 2% of the population is INFJ. Seems like we are drawn here. I use FB strictly for keeping up with people. So I don't get in many debates or arguments.

Like OP I have been wondering about why people get so angry and take it so personally when others disagree. I wondered if it had to do more with culture than personality types. I enjoy debate largely because it helps me form my ideas and opinions better. As long as people are respectful, I don't mind people punching holes in my ideas. I have been finding myself avoiding conversations because I felt like I would get ripped for asking questions, or trying to look at other angles of situations.

As far as politics go people are so divided. Sometimes I think the problem is a lack of critical thinking. I don't like such and such presidents policies so they are automatically stupid, or evil. Instead of trying to see the reasoning behind it. I don't think anybody who makes it into the whitehouse could really be stupid. I don't think any president has the intention of destroying the country, or hates poor people. I think thier ideas of how to accomplish things are different, and perhaps they have different priorities. Nobody seems to want to hear others out on why they think policies are good or bad it immediately goes into insult your stupid or bad or selfish mode. Maybe because they form their opinions based on other people's opinions and cannot back them up with facts because they don't know them well enough.

Edited to add typing from my phone while I am sitting with my sister at the hospital.I have band aids in several fingers including my right thumb so I can't be botherd to correct grammar and spelling. Sorry I'm being selfish.

Archived