IGNORED

Two Men Kiss on 'Survivor'; Facebook Reacts

Boogalou

So, this season of Survivor is branded "Blood vs. Water" where instead of 18 strangers being on the show there are now 9 pairs of "loved ones" (mother/daughter, brothers, dating couple, etc.) and one of the pairs is an unmarried gay couple. Before last night everyone was on an opposite tribe from their loved one but last night the tribes were randomly switched and the dating gay couple, Josh and Reed, and the dating straight couple, Jon and Jaclyn, all ended up on the same tribe.

Over the course of an hour (according to the internet) Josh and Reed kissed twice on the lips and once on the cheek. Jon and Jaclyn kissed 293845798265 times (approximately). Facebook was pissed, not because these people haven't brushed their teeth in 11 days and were kissing but because two men kissed! Chastely! For .3 seconds! On TV! Survivor is shoving this done our throats!!! (No complaints about John and Jaclyn)

Someone complained that this is a family show! Good quality family entertainment where people lie and backstab for money. Where women get naked for peanut butter. Where people throw other people's socks in the fire. Where people's breasts and nether regions are routinely blurred out. You know, good quality family entertainment that has been forever tainted by two men's lips touching for a grand total of one second.

If you want to read it for yourself: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

Oh! Extra dose of irony; Josh and Reed are saving sex for marriage and I think it is safe to say that Jon and Jaclyn are not. "Christian" values only when it's convenient!

survivor never really appealed to me, but i like this. :) my mum and stepdad and even my dad and stepmom watch it now and then. i wonder if they're watching this season...

I bet this is the most media attention Survivor has gotten since 2006!

Got that right!! I was never a Survivor fan, but I am sure these will give them a ton of attention.

Survivor is still one of the best things on TV. I'm glad they're not presenting Josh and Reed's relationship as anything out of the norm. Also, I strongly suspect that Josh is going to win the season.

Survivor is still one of the best things on TV. I'm glad they're not presenting Josh and Reed's relationship as anything out of the norm. Also, I strongly suspect that Josh is going to win the season.

I agree, Josh is getting a potential winner's edit.

Way to let us know that show is still on the air lol.

Thought it died years and years ago.

I've watched every episode since the middle of season 1. I love it. Also, the only reason I even know people were outraged was because I read some forums and they were talking about it there. It's weird, I know no one IRL who watches but people must because it keeps chugging along.

I do like that their relationship is just basically depicted as normal. Survivor has a lot of faults - inviting John Rocker to play, for example, but their depiction of Reed and Josh is fair.

My hubby is a huge fan of Survivor, and he and my daughter watch every week. I asked him about this when I read the thread, and he thought for a minute. His response?

"Yeah, I guess they did kiss. But the awesome thing about yesterday was I'm pretty sure John Rocker's girlfriends top slipped during the challenge."

Again, if you're worried about modesty and "proper behavior", survivor probably isn't your thing. According to my husband it was a quick "nice to see you again" peck, not exactly a makeout session.

What is a winner's edit?

The contestant is being presented in a favorable manner that suggests they are likely to go far in the game. The smart, sympathy provoking, or impressive things they do are highlighted more than their mistakes. They get a lot of screen time, but not too much, because getting a lot of focus suddenly can mean that you are about to be voted out. Basically, little tricks and styles of editing that Survivor fanatics have learned to look for.

The contestant is being presented in a favorable manner that suggests they are likely to go far in the game. The smart, sympathy provoking, or impressive things they do are highlighted more than their mistakes. They get a lot of screen time, but not too much, because getting a lot of focus suddenly can mean that you are about to be voted out. Basically, little tricks and styles of editing that Survivor fanatics have learned to look for.

That part I bolded is the golden rule of reality TV. If your screen time goes UP drastically, you're going home.

Haven't missed an episode on Survivor since I was a kid. This show does a pretty good job at portraying people's opinions and beleifs without making the entwork look bad.

The kiss between the two guys was nothing to be shocked at. It was actually a very sweet and heartfelt moment. Jackie&John - now that was some immodest make out....

This show has not been family friendly for many seasons - basically since they stopped going to varying locations (they only ever have beach and tropical locales now), so they can have half naked women in bikinis.

I'm glad they left in their kiss and people on fb and the internet need to STFU about it being "inappropriate."

Just watched the episode - I love Survivor. I wonder why none of those same people commented on the fact that the gay couple said that they were "waiting for marriage" and self-identify as Christians. Josh talked about how he grew up in conservative Christianity - he was a pastor's kid and said he was never accepted (surprise, surprise).

He's by far my favorite for the win.

Archived