IGNORED

Prophetic Day today, 8/23/11

FlorenceHamilton

Also in central/southeast Ohio (outside of Zanesville) and I felt it.

A bit OT, but for a second there, I thought you were one of my bffs who's studying to be a law librarian and is from outside Zanesville. Then I saw you felt the earthquake...and she's up in NW Ohio with me atm. ^_^;

Also in central/southeast Ohio (outside of Zanesville) and I felt it. It was stronger than any of the little tremors I felt when living in LA. My entire office swayed, and I heard a creaking and rumbling. I felt really seasick. I spent the next ten minutes or so trying to convince my co-workers that I wasn't nuts. They tried to convince me that my office was haunted.

A few fundie-lite FB friends were posting about how it's a sign of the end of the world. Most of them were posting that "earthquakes were occurring all over the country at that moment!!!!1!!!1!" They weren't too happy when someone pointed out that the Colorado earthquake was last night and that the quakes that were "reported" in PA, OH, Ontario, NY, and NC were all the Virginia earthquake being felt hundreds of miles away. Isn't that obvious? One woman also didn't understand the concept of aftershocks.

Seriously, if God wanted to really freak people out, why stop at a 5.9 earthquake? Were fundies shouting when the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan? That was a tragedy. This was nothing.

Exactly, if God wanted to freak people out, a 5.9 earthquake is nothing, as it would have been more like the New Madrid quakes were. It's true that there are earthquakes on a daily basis, but they're usually too small to be felt.

Don't make too much fun of me, but sometimes the world is ending thoughts come into my head when stuff like this happens.

Me too, but only because I did a marathon of Supernatural last weekend.

I felt it in SW Ohio, near Dayton. I thought I was just light-headed for a few seconds, but then the swaying intensified and I saw the water in a glass on the coffee table moving like that scene in Jurassic Park, and I was pretty sure it was an earthquake. Everyone I know near here felt it, except my husband, who was at work 5 miles away, and claims to have felt nothing.

Aww, now I'm kind of sad that I booted all of the fundie/fundie-lite types off of my Facebook friends list a while back. This could have been way more entertaining.

Oh god, this has my aunt a-goin....She's in SW Ohio too and felt it. I think she mentioned something about "Teh end of the world!!!!111!" to my mom. She's all about the rapture and stuff. When the giant Jesus statue on I-75 got struck by lightening and burned down, she was convinced that it meant that something evil was taking over the world.

edited for typo

Oh god, this has my aunt a-goin....She's in SW Ohio too and felt it. I think she mentioned something about "Teh end of the world!!!!111!" to my mom. She's all about the rapture and stuff. When the giant Jesus statue on I-75 got struck by lightening and burned down, she was convinced that it meant that something evil was taking over the world.

edited for typo

R.I.P. Touchdown Jesus :(

I saw some random comments that had been posted to failbook about how god was attacking DC for taking his name out of schools, public buildings, etc.

Personally, I would hope my omniscient deity would have better aim. The epicenter of the quake was over 100 miles from DC.

No worries, it's not the rapture - God's just mad that men are getting manicures, according to Pat Robertson:

http://www.borowitzreport.com/2011/08/2 ... nd-of-gay/

double-facepalm.jpg

Oh and Pat doesn't get manicures? And designer eyeglasses? What about his 3000$ suits? What a freaking hypocrite. I'd like some of what he's been smoking. The dispensary here doesn't offer that good stuff.

asshat.jpg

“If you keep getting pedicures and facials, you can expect two to three inches of rain and some really hot humid days in your future.†- Pat Robertson

How can he even say things like this with a straight face? Made me laugh just reading it...I grew up along the Gulf Coast, and I never knew so many men were getting pedicures and facials! Damn them - think how nice the weather could've been if they had only stuck with their ingrown toenails and dry, flaky skin!!

One idea I read in a book a long time ago has always stayed with me - basically, the thought was that mankind can destroy the earth for ourselves (and other existing lifeforms), but we cannot destroy the earth itself. Other life will emerge after we are gone. All we have the power to do is destroy ourselves...and maybe that's a good thing. If we get to the point where we are making the earth inhospitable to our lifeforms, maybe it's time to do away with us, and let the giant cockroaches become preeminent (okay, maybe that last part is my thought, not the book's).

As for natural disasters, well, they've been happening for as long as the earth has existed. Maybe it IS God saying he's done with us (heck, maybe he got bored with the dinosaurs), and he wants to try something different. :D You can easily believe in God AND natural disasters. It's the same mentality that says any horrible thing that happens is either 1) God testing us and giving us the "opportunity" to be better by praising him regardless of what shit falls on us, or 2) Satan attempting to destroy our faith by tempting us to blame God for our misfortune or his failure to take it away.

Whatev. I've been in/near major hurricanes, massive snowstorms, a tornado, volcanic eruptions, and earthquakes. I've lived through miserably hot weather and miserably cold weather, drought and flood, gypsy moth invasions, and more. Nature happens, for whatever reason. We don't control it, we can't often predict it, and if we spent every minute worrying about what could happen, we'd be miserable, paranoid people who miss out on all the beauty and joy there is in life right now.

Oh, wait, I know a few people that fit that description... :lol:

We really felt it here in DC! One of the best tweets I saw was from the comedian, Lizz Winstead:

"Worst. Rapture. Ever."

Another good one:

"Next up for the East Coast: Godzilla."

In all seriousness, I'm a little concerned about Hurricane Irene (not "Hurricane EOTWAWKI") because my family has a house in Ocean City MD. I'm glad the flood insurance is paid up!

I still maintain that we are safe until the day the Chi Cubs and the Chi White Sux go to the Worlds Series together AND the Pittsburgh Steelers go up against the Browns go the superbowl. AND The Penguins win the Stanley Cup. (BTW, the Cubs, the Steelers and the Penguins all have to win their respective games). That is when the world will end.

I still maintain that we are safe until the day the Chi Cubs and the Chi White Sux go to the Worlds Series together AND the Pittsburgh Steelers go up against the Browns go the superbowl. AND The Penguins win the Stanley Cup. (BTW, the Cubs, the Steelers and the Penguins all have to win their respective games). That is when the world will end.

Au contraire, as someone who lives around Cleveland (but isn't a football person), the day the Browns make it to the Super Bowl won't be a sign of the apocalypse, it will be the ultimate miracle, more miraculous than a virgin birth! And if God could also turn water into beer in the Muny Lot, the fans might not even care if they win! :lol:

Hey, I could care less about the Steelers, but as the mother of the first girl on the Pens I have to say the Pens will win the cup(again:)) at least in 2017 when she is eligible to play pro. :)

Archived