IGNORED

Names for Second Royal Baby

roddma

I seem to recall Kitty Kelly being a writer whose books couldn't be entirely believed... either facts not checked, or not completely true... she was one of those "tell all" people who really didn't know all she told, I think.

I did a reasonably decent job providing four different sources based on years of reading about the royal family including one significant primary source, Mountbatten's own letter to Charles. If you want to play attack the sources or insist it is all just my own opinion that is your choice.

I find it ironic to repeatedly be put in this position on a snark board that is set up to be nothing BUT opinion and conjecture. If I were defending a dissertation, fine, but a snark board? Okay....

Carry on!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anytime someone states something as fact that is merely their opinion I always have an issue with it. Snark or not,

And your source isn't a primary source for Charles, it is a primary source for Moutbatten's feelings. If we had a letter that Charles sent in reply saying hey I am highly influenced by what you said about sewing my oats, that would be a primary source,

Until then it remains conjecture...which is fine. But own that don't pretend like you can state definitively what Charles was thinking and what his motivations were.

Eta: on any given post you will find someone calling our ISB vs conjecture. This post isn't unique. Go look at the most recent maxwell one.

Anytime someone states something as fact that is merely their opinion I always have an issue with it. Snark or not,

And your source isn't a primary source for Charles, it is a primary source for Moutbatten's feelings. If we had a letter that Charles sent in reply saying hey I am highly influenced by what you said about sewing my oats, that would be a primary source,

Until then it remains conjecture...which is fine. But own that don't pretend like you can state definitively what Charles was thinking and what his motivations were.

Eta: on any given post you will find someone calling our ISB vs conjecture. This post isn't unique. Go look at the most recent maxwell one.

Oh for Pete's sake.... it is all over biographical and quoted journals coverage of Charles life.

"From his university days onward, he (Charles) was increasingly guided by his great-uncle, Lord Mountbatten. It is difficult to overestimate the influence of the older man upon the younger. An indulgent, avuncular figure during Charles's boyhood, a naval hero and a man who had held high office in both war and peace (As Supreme Commander in South East Asia and as Viceroy of India), - he was what Charles aspired to be - supremely confident but without Phillip's brash and sometimes offensive manner. His urbanity, his wide-interests, even his implausibly left-wing views (Which may have given Charles a certain liberal bent), made him mentor of choice for the prince. At his funeral in 1979, Charles's wreath bore a handwritten message: "To my HGF (Honorary Grandfather) and GU (Great Uncle) from his loving and devoted HGS and GN Charles."

- A Brief History of the House of Windsor: The Making of a Modern Monarchy

By Michael Paterson

"In fact, Prince Charles considered Mountbatten like a father figure to the extent that when Mountbatten was assassinated by the IRA, he had written in his journal that he had lost a “combined grand-father, great uncle, father, brother and friend. Life will never be the same now that he has goneâ€.

- From Sarath Ramakrishnan's review of Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire" by Alex von Tunzelmann

"Do you seriously expect me to be the first Prince of Wales in history not to have a mistress?"

- Prince Charles

Prince Charles. (n.d.). BrainyQuote.com. Retrieved October 23, 2014, from BrainyQuote.com Web site.

So yeah, I think Charles was deeply influenced by Mountbatten's opinions even in his own words. Anything else, feel free to research yourself.

Well know that you quoted brainy quote I see how you know all of prince Charles' motivations.

(My problem was you called something a primary source when it wasn't. My opinion on everything but brainy quote is what I previously gave. And brainy quote is laughable. If he actually said that publicly finding the place date and time he said it would be easy. And that, if it were said publicly would be a primary source. )

Is there a problem with it simply being your opinion? Having one isn't an issue.

Oh wait the funeral note was a primary source. And I have my doubts that people have been granted access to his journal. Like most of the royals I suspect this is someone who said they had seen his journal. Even if we accept everything but the absolutely indictable brainy quote it still only means what you claim was likely not certain. Which I already granted you.

• 2 weeks later...

Names for the new baby for a girl I'd love to see them resurrect an older royal name that hasn't been used in awhile like Eleanor, Isabel/Isabella, Matilda, Sophia, Charlotte, Jane, or Emma. Victoria is a likely candidate as is using Diana's middle name Frances. I could see both showing up as either a first or middle name.

Sophia Frances

Victoria Anne

Charlotte Isabella Jane

Victoria Eleanor Frances

Matilda Isabel Anne

Charlotte Matilda

For a boy Stephen, Arthur, Phillip, Edward, Richard. It be nice to see them adopt a non-traditional name Maybe a Luke, Victor, Paul, or Thomas.

Stephen Victor Phillip

Thomas Arthur Edward

Phillip Thomas Richard

Luke Arthur Thomas

I doubt they would use Anne or Edward since they are the names of great-uncle and aunt.My bets for a girl are on something with Victoria/Mary/Diana. My bet for another boy is on something with a combination of Arthur/William/ Phillip with Michael for a middle name..I too would like to see some older names that havent been used in a while resurrected.

If we're going down a rather strange road away from baby names and into more general royal musings, what's the story on Anne? I met her once (nothing exciting, but she was nice enough and easy to talk to for a few minutes, although I did struggle with her accent -- as she probably did with mine), but prior to that didn't know anything about her.

So, the night before what do I do but, of course, look her up on Wikipedia. I read somewhere that she was something of a wild child in her younger years, is that true? She seems so not that way now. I think she would have made a good enough king, lol.

Anne is father's daughter-blunt, matter of fact, pragmatic but also devoted to her royal duties. You are not the only one to say she is best fit for monarch out of her siblings.I don't know if she was wild but she is strong enough to usually get her way...She was nearly kidnapped and in the middle of a gun battle and acted like a boss ;)

http://www.scribes.eu/2011/01/princess- ... apper.html

Yeah, her reaction to having a gun in her face and being told to exit her limo is just awesome: "Not bloody likely!"

Anne has always struck me as not giving a fuck about what people think of her while at the same timing genuinely caring about her role in the Royal Family. I think she has the best parts of both of her parents and that she would make a good queen.

Yeah, her reaction to having a gun in her face and being told to exit her limo is just awesome: "Not bloody likely!"

Anne has always struck me as not giving a fuck about what people think of her while at the same timing genuinely caring about her role in the Royal Family. I think she has the best parts of both of her parents and that she would make a good queen.

I wonder if it helps that she was only in the third line to the throne for a few years before her youngest brothers were born and then the grandchildren.

I also don't know a lot about Anne, but once caught part of a made-for-TV-movie that didn't portray her in the most positive light. Most of what I saw was of her in her younger partying days where she supposedly had problems with substance abuse and had some abuse issues with her first husband. I seem to remember her being adamant about not naming a son Henry if they had one because she hated the connection to Henry the 8th. Anne also supposedly took up with a younger hippie guy for a brief period of time between husbands, and he eventually left her for a fellow flower child.

That was a pretty weird movie, I have no idea if even half of it was true. It was awesome watching her tell the press to go to hell in the film, though.

Anne sounds pretty brassy, I should find a book about her and learn more.

Not to be that person but she was Princess so completely opposite Diana and representative of old school royalty...Her rep was not good when the popularity of the family in the aftermath of that whole disaster era even though she works for her charities and causes tirelessly.

Wow, I hadn't heard that story before. Princess Anne DOES sound like a total badass. She reminds me of this woman:

[bBvideo 560,340:1jiqiq5k]

[/bBvideo]

"ALL. BETS. ARE. OFF." :D

When she was young she had a real attitude.. Telling reporters to sod off and such but she has mellowed with age.

Back on topic, The name Phillipa ticks all the box's-Traditional, royal pedigree, honors people important to both sides of the family.

Phillipa Elizabeth Diana sounds very nice.

When she was young she had a real attitude.. Telling reporters to sod off and such but she has mellowed with age.

Back on topic, The name Phillipa ticks all the box's-Traditional, royal pedigree, honors people important to both sides of the family.

Phillipa Elizabeth Diana sounds very nice.

I do quite like that

I agree with this part. Charles in particular has seemed well entrenched in his feelings of entitlement as Prince of Wales. Past Princes of Wales have generally assumed they could have any woman they wanted when they wanted her. Most of the time that was true regardless of their marital status or age.

The abdication in 1936 was a notable exception but Wallis Simpson really wasn't the cause, only the public excuse. It was not remotely romantic, Wallis was living under numerous death threats and although she wanted to become Queen, she begged David NOT to abdicate and marry her. He did anyway. One of her most well know quotes from subsequent letters to friends was, "You have no idea how hard it is to live out a great romance." Source: brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/wallis_simpson.html#BYesOMs7u0eDcZAW.99

David's own father thought he would destroy himself as King in short order. The only suprise is as Edward VIII he took less time to do it in than his father anticipated. Keep in mind David was a major Nazi sympathizer and spent a good deal of WWII listening to Hitler's promises to return him to the throne as a puppet monach when the Third Reich finally took over Europe completely. Fortunately that didn't happen.

Charles didn't marry Camilla after their first six month romance when they were young because he was having too much fun being the world's most eligible bachelor.

There was something off between Charles and Diana even on their wedding day. My Mom woke me up in the wee hours to watch it live on TV. Even then the TV commentators were saying, something is wrong here, he should be leaning over to whisper in her ear now. He should be more affectionate. I am paraprhasing , but both my Mom and I noticed how disconneted Charles seemed from Diana in real time during the wedding and of course being in the TV audience we were only seeing part of what was going on.

Freejoyannatoo, I don't know what you think about journalist Penny Junor's books about the royal family but despite obvious attempts to make Charles look more sympathetic to readers he still seems to be a dour, demanding and depressive man who is extremely difficult to work for and has zero consideration for his staff.

I spent many summers in Canada growing up. In the 1970's and 80's there seemed to be a great deal of genuine affection for Queen Elizabeth II. No clue how it is in England.

Sorry, haven't been about much recently :) I like your post and very much agree with what you say.

Penny Junor - chum of Prince Charles and part of the Establishment. After Charles and Di got divorced there was a lot of side-taking and of course most of the court and its hangers-on backed Charles. Her books were part of the effort to support his image at a time when the public was largely pro-Di. The BBC has tended very much this way over the years, too. They have worked hard to rehabilitate Charles + Camilla and had moderate success I think. Increasingly though, most Brits don't much care about them. They are seen as old and hopelessly out of touch. Nearly all the interest is on William, Kate and Harry.

he still seems to be a dour, demanding and depressive man who is extremely difficult to work for and has zero consideration for his staff. Yes, absolutely. In fact some rumours say worse than this, I'll leave you to google if you want to know more.

As for the Queen, yes I think she still commands plenty of respect here but probably not much affection these days except among old people. I wonder if this is the same in other Commonwealth countries now?

Oh, and as for the Princess Royal - she was on a UK TV programme recently. It's called Countryfile, and is about matters relating to the countryside. You can probably find it on youtube if you want to see it.

Among the things Princess Anne approves of are gassing badgers and eating horses. So no, I don't think she's mellowed that much!

Oh, and as for the Princess Royal - she was on a UK TV programme recently. It's called Countryfile, and is about matters relating to the countryside. You can probably find it on youtube if you want to see it.

Among the things Princess Anne approves of are gassing badgers and eating horses. So no, I don't think she's mellowed that much!

... gassing badgers? That's an odd thing.

I wondered if maybe badgers were really destructive toward crops and gardens. I googled it and it turns out that it really is an issue in Britain. (Not saying I support gassing badgers, but I'm assuming that's why Anne is in favor of it)

wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Ref/bookscontents/rspca-problems_with_badgers/6_Damage.htm

Thanks for this, I've just about finished watching nine seasons and counting of that British high school/comprehensive school soap opera,'Waterloo Road,' and I need a new series to watch. :)

/watchesBritishTVbecausemostUStelevisionisawful :?

Archived