IGNORED

GOV Rick Perry Indicted on Coercion Charges

roddma

i tried discussing this case with a conservative friend of mine, who basically called me stupid and dumb and ignorant and naive of the real issues. i linked him to the scanned document of the indictment and went over it yet again. he said something along the lines of the fact that i must pride myself on the facts (uh, yeah, i do pride myself on depending on facts and not assumptions and conjecture). he basically treated me like a naive child who couldn't comprehend what was going on, and then proceeded to link me to a video of judge jeanine pirro (sp?) - a fox news commentator - "discussing" the issue.

and by "discussing" the issue, i mean there was a couple of truth nuggets thrown into a pile of bullshit and rabbit trails that had nothing to do with the issue at hand.

so he calls me stupid and ignorant, and yet he depends on a political pundit of sorts for his information instead of relying on the actual legal documents provided? oooookay then...

:nenner: :angry-banghead:

Also, can I just say that the natural-born requirement is incredibly fucked up and xenophobic? It made sense when the US was just barely removed from England, but 200 years later, the world has changed. Maybe a fantastic US president has just been born in Taiwan or Romania or New Zealand. A huge number of countries require only that the leader be a citizen, and that is, IMO, the requirement the US should adopt - a citizen of the United States, nothing more, nothing less.

Whenever this birth certificate stuff comes up, it really is irksome that no one ever gets to the real heart of the issue - that it's a dumb requirement that should be scrapped - and frankly, it's puzzling that the population does not seem to want to change this, or that it does not even seem to have occurred to them. There doesn't even seem to be any kind of organized movement for it. Why on earth should a person be prevented from this office because of being born on the wrong side of an arbitrary line, something the person had absolutely no control over?

/rant over, carry on

Excellent, excellent point.

And here is my reaction to (P)Rick Perry being indicted.

h285F48C5

Now if only Gov. Scott Walker would be indicted. A girl can dream, can't she?

21265242.jpg

i tried discussing this case with a conservative friend of mine, who basically called me stupid and dumb and ignorant and naive of the real issues. i linked him to the scanned document of the indictment and went over it yet again. he said something along the lines of the fact that i must pride myself on the facts (uh, yeah, i do pride myself on depending on facts and not assumptions and conjecture). he basically treated me like a naive child who couldn't comprehend what was going on, and then proceeded to link me to a video of judge jeanine pirro (sp?) - a fox news commentator - "discussing" the issue.

and by "discussing" the issue, i mean there was a couple of truth nuggets thrown into a pile of bullshit and rabbit trails that had nothing to do with the issue at hand.

so he calls me stupid and ignorant, and yet he depends on a political pundit of sorts for his information instead of relying on the actual legal documents provided? oooookay then...

you can't fix stupid :lol:

i'm still holding out hope that there might be intelligent Republicans somewhere out there who discuss things rationally. I think Mort Zuckerman and David Brooks are as close as i've found. And they're definitely not purists. Less Republican and more conservative moderates, i guess.

i'm definitely in the liberal camp. Feminist yes. I don't think feminist and Christian are mutually exclusive at all. (fundie parents faint lol)

Also, can I just say that the natural-born requirement is incredibly fucked up and xenophobic? It made sense when the US was just barely removed from England, but 200 years later, the world has changed. Maybe a fantastic US president has just been born in Taiwan or Romania or New Zealand. A huge number of countries require only that the leader be a citizen, and that is, IMO, the requirement the US should adopt - a citizen of the United States, nothing more, nothing less.

Whenever this birth certificate stuff comes up, it really is irksome that no one ever gets to the real heart of the issue - that it's a dumb requirement that should be scrapped - and frankly, it's puzzling that the population does not seem to want to change this, or that it does not even seem to have occurred to them. There doesn't even seem to be any kind of organized movement for it. Why on earth should a person be prevented from this office because of being born on the wrong side of an arbitrary line, something the person had absolutely no control over?

/rant over, carry on

Funny how the GOP forgot about how they wanted to change the Constitution in 2003/2004 so that Arnold Schwarzenegger could be eligible to run for POTUS.

I've been wanting Perry gone for years now - he's been a blight on Texas for far too long.

And because you can never get too much of Grumpy Cat or an irritated Rick Perry:

post-7337-14451999370519_thumb.png

you can't fix stupid :lol:

i'm still holding out hope that there might be intelligent Republicans somewhere out there who discuss things rationally. I think Mort Zuckerman and David Brooks are as close as i've found. And they're definitely not purists. Less Republican and more conservative moderates, i guess.

i'm definitely in the liberal camp. Feminist yes. I don't think feminist and Christian are mutually exclusive at all. (fundie parents faint lol)

I was listening to (evil librul) NPR yesterday and they were reporting on this new PAC americanunitypac.com. I was pleased to see an effort to direct some of the political money out there to more moderate Republicans. I'm a democrat and would rate myself moderate/liberal, but I'm all for moderates of any political stripe.

I worked in the US Congress in the mid '80s when Tip O'Neill was speaker and Reagan was president. It's so crazy to me to see the difference in that congress and the one we have today. Back then getting legislation passed was considered a sign of your political strength, now it's exactly the opposite. :angry-banghead:

You are a braver woman than I am... I have finally, i hope, learned not to even discuss these things with people, in particular the ultra conservatives I know. It falls under the "teaching a pig to sing" category of things, and I'm sure they feel I'm the tone deaf pig while I think they are.

You are a braver woman than I am... I have finally, i hope, learned not to even discuss these things with people, in particular the ultra conservatives I know. It falls under the "teaching a pig to sing" category of things, and I'm sure they feel I'm the tone deaf pig while I think they are.

there are some friends i know i can discuss things with and it will actually be a discussion. but this particular friend i've officially given up on. he drinks the faux news/conservative kool-aid that has to have what he thinks spoon fed to him and looks down at me because i actually research things before forming an opinion.

reminds me a lot of my dad. i actually did get into two debates with my dad on fb (that he initiated)...whooped his ass twice. he no longer engages me in debate. pretty sad that a guy in his late 60's has no grasp on actual discussion and gets totally owned by his daughter in her late 20's (yes, i was a late baby :P ).

I doubt Gov.Goodhair will get prison time. My ex is headed to prison, and back when he was rich was quite the contributor to the Texas Republican party. So,he was friendly with Perry. Next time I visit the ex I'll have to tell him he might recognize his cellie.

Archived