IGNORED

Geoff Botkin's latest rant: Peanut Butter Cheerios!!

Marian the Librarian

As others have said, you see what you want see. Normal people (that is to say, NOT Geoff Botkin & his ilk) see a dad being a decent person in the midst of his family, all of whom also seem decent. What interested me was the number of kids the family has -- 4? 5? -- definitely a change from the standard ad portrayals of 1-2 kid families.

That all said, I sure hope that the peanut butter cheerios come to a market near me soon! :thumbsup3:

I do tire of the "father as

Bumbling fool everyone laughs at trope.

However.... I dislike the male as leader thing whoever wrote this had going on.

But would you have objected if the whole ad was the exact same script - except substituting a mother? I think if it was a woman in this ad people would be objecting to dad just being vaguely in the background, while mom is the one getting everyone ready and passing dad a cup of coffee and calling him hot :D

There's nothing wrong with a dad being a leader- it doesn't imply mom isn't one too.

eta: I'm not saying mom should have been more prominent in the ad, it wasn't about her. I think they looked like a normal, busy happy family. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but despite unrealistic gorgeous house and lack of screeching, they did have a messy living room

I admit that I hate commercials where dad is an idiot who is clueless how to care for his own children or make simple decisions for himself; however, I am equally annoyed at the idea that women are always annoyed bitches stuck with their childish husbands. These commercials are equally sexist against men and women.

:pink-shock: My grandson wanted me to use this smilie

lol! That is so cute. My 4 year old LOVES the smilies. She calls them Berrykins (from Strawberry Shortcake) :D

Peanut Butter Cheerios should make a new ad and use RuPaul's "Peanut Butter" as the theme song.

I don't believe one person said this, let alone one hundred...

I can pretty much guarantee no one said this (if GB is telling the truth), as there are no Sam's Clubs in Canada.

-Curly Girl the Cancuk

If FJ has taught us anything, it's that nothing good ever comes from PEANUT BUTTER!

That is all!

If FJ has taught us anything, it's that nothing good ever comes from PEANUT BUTTER!

That is all!

I was going to post that I was impressed that we'd gotten this far discussing the "pb" words without a fight, but was afraid of starting something!

I never did read that thread.

I am not the target audience for *any* commercial because this is what happens.

Me talking to my friend while we are watching tv together:

Me: Oh that was a really cute commercial, I loved x, y, and z about it.

Him: yeah me too

Me: uh...I have absolutely NO clue what that commercial was just for

Him: yep, me either.

Me: oh well it was really cute!

I can pretty much guarantee no one said this (if GB is telling the truth), as there are no Sam's Clubs in Canada.

-Curly Girl the Cancuk

Like I said earlier, I know someone who actually said nearly the exact same thing. Remember people everywhere are seeing this now, so it may not have been someone in Canada who saw it on tv there.

The Botkins watch network TV? :o

Pretty sure there are no 2 minute spots on tv. I'm not even sure there are many 60 second commercials anymore.

Anyway nor a fan of the idiot dad trope but am amused that male empowerment can now be purchased for 4.99 since advertising has been selling girl power for years.

Pretty sure there are no 2 minute spots on tv. I'm not even sure there are many 60 second commercials anymore.

Anyway nor a fan of the idiot dad trope but am amused that male empowerment can now be purchased for 4.99 since advertising has been selling girl power for years.

I wondered about the 2 minute thing too, but figured maybe it was different in Canada, or it's a purely Internet based ad.

Really, if I hadn't read the Geoff Botkin take on it first I never would have seen this dad as some symbol of anything - except a normal parent getting his kids ready for school. More entertaining of course, and I think the "dad's are awesome" 2 minute sell is very smart marketing, but definitely not some return to whatever version of the world Geoff Botkin fancies.

I do tire of the "father as

Bumbling fool everyone laughs at trope.

However.... I dislike the male as leader thing whoever wrote this had going on.

Me too. For at least 15 years it seems (per TV dommercials) that men can't do anything right. I don't want ANYONE to look stupid just to sell products. I also hate the fact that most items can't be marketed without children/ families front and center. Hello...there are child-free and LGBT families and singles out here!

Me too. For at least 15 years it seems (per TV dommercials) that men can't do anything right. I don't want ANYONE to look stupid just to sell products. I also hate the fact that most items can't be marketed without children/ families front and center. Hello...there are child-free and LGBT families and singles out here!

There was a great commercial I saw several times a couple of months ago about a guy buying his first home, and it was just him and his dog. The fact that he was single wasn't the focus of the commercial and there was no implication that the home would help him "start" his life. It was just his time to get a house, and he just happened to be a single man with a dog. It was great.

Peanut Butter Cheerios should make a new ad and use RuPaul's "Peanut Butter" as the theme song.

I'd never thought I'd see a shout out Mama Ru or Big Freedia in a fundie thread! :clap:

That is all!

Now I want a peanut butter milkshake.

:soda:

it's just that he seems to know a lot about commercials. :lol: :whistle:

Yes, but Geoff Botkin knows a lot about a lot of things. He's been an artist, cultural analyst, political consultant, documentary filmmaker, writer and lecturer. And a duck biologist (but only for one season). :lol:

Archived