IGNORED

Love Letter To A Lesbian

FJismyheadship

Ugh. A fundie on my friends list shared this on her wall.

desiringgod.org/blog/posts/love-letter-to-a-lesbian

The person who shared this went to a fundie college and has a friend from said college who came out last year as a lesbian. I wonder if when fundie friend posted this if she thought about our mutual friend?

And shared it in hopes our friend would read it. I may need to keep an eye on the comments.

Ah yes, the wise 23-year-old giving sage life advice based on what she has learned since her youth.

But really, this is sad. I don't believe you should always follow your heart, but she goes from this:

At the age of 17, I finally made the decision to pursue these desires. I entered into a relationship with a young lady who became my “first.†The first time we kissed, it felt extremely natural, as if this feeling is what I had been missing all along. After her came another woman and then another woman. Both relationships were very serious, each lasting over a year. I enjoyed these relationships and loved these women a lot. And it came to the point that I was willing to forsake all, including my soul, to enjoy their love on earth.

to talking about her struggle, temptations, and battle with faith. I think this paragraph says a lot too:

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that this may be your dilemma as well. You see what God has to say about homosexuality, but your heart doesn’t utter the same sentiments. God’s word says it’s sinful; your heart says it feels right. God’s word says it’s abominable; your heart says it’s delightful. God’s word says it’s unnatural; your heart says it’s totally normal. Do you see that there is a clear divide between what God’s word says and how your heart feels?

She just is not making a compelling case here, and I hope she doesn't influence more young women to give up what feels natural for a lifetime of struggles. For her own sake, I hope she realizes that this isn't the only way to go for a Christian woman who is attracted to the same sex. As far as Christian lesbians go, I really love Kori Ashton's ex-ex-gay story. She turned from her "sins" and became somewhat known in the Christian community with her band, and she told her own story to thousands as a part of her ex-gay ministry. But she writes:

I was at last living my dream – singing for Jesus and sharing God’s love – but somehow I was still quietly hurting and lonely. I had been so preoccupied with creating an image of a “Perfect Christian,†that I had ignored who I knew I truly was.

She eventually embraced who she really was, saying:

It has been a lot of tears and prayers, but I am blessed to say that I am now Ex-Ex Gay. No label fits me better than “Set Free!†The manipulation of the condemning so-called “Christians†(not true examples of Christ) with their failed rehabs and the self-abuse of needed perfection is NO MORE! God's Word is Truth - Nothing can separate us from His Love!

I have never known God’s peace and grace like I do now. I have realized that my imperfection keeps me on my knees, looking to God and not to people for my acceptance. He truly loves me for me. I wouldn't go back and do things differently. The road I’ve traveled has been the scenic route, but it has led me to the feet of God where I rest in His Grace knowing that I am His design, His joy and His perfection!

She's still very Christian and Evangelical, and she's also now married to woman. They even had a son together in June of this year.

I just want girls who are lesbian and Christian to see stories like these, and not just the stories of suppressing your identity and living with that "struggle" the rest of their lives. (Seriously, I don't think I've ever read an ex-gay story where the person seemed genuinely happy.) Speaking from personal experience, it meant all the world to me to realize that you can be both gay and a Christian. Maybe Jackie's choice of not giving in to her attractions really will work for her; it's her life and I can't tell her what she really feels. But I just want girls to know that there are other options. You don't have to "battle" your attractions, and you still can have a family and go to church and live the life that really truly gives you the most peace and fulfillment.

Rachel333, you said it so well.

I read the link, then went to the Legacy site and read more about Jackie Hill.

I really worry for her. She was "rescued" from being a lesbian at 19, and now at 23 is an expert (although admits she's had plenty of temptations since being saved) at being a recovered lesbian.

So will she stay celibate? Jesus is enough for her now ,I guess but will that be true at 33? 43? Beyond?

Or, will she end up marrying a man?

Either way it seems like a lonely, unhappy, repressed life.

Rachel333, you said it so well.

I read the link, then went to the Legacy site and read more about Jackie Hill.

I really worry for her. She was "rescued" from being a lesbian at 19, and now at 23 is an expert (although admits she's had plenty of temptations since being saved) at being a recovered lesbian.

So will she stay celibate? Jesus is enough for her now ,I guess but will that be true at 33? 43? Beyond?

Or, will she end up marrying a man?

Either way it seems like a lonely, unhappy, repressed life.

Maybe she'll marry an ex-gay man so they can spend a decade or two together gritting their teeth desperately at each other. :cry:

Maybe she'll marry an ex-gay man so they can spend a decade or two together gritting their teeth desperately at each other. :cry:

If that's the case, she'll be sad when she learns that Greg is taken. :D

Archived