IGNORED

Shield Your Eyes! This doll has a penis!

FJismyheadship

I would LOVE to get into BJDs, but they're simply too expensive for me. I think they're so beautiful and expressive and I love the customisation. There's this one BJD I've been lusting over for so long but it's $700 without face on, a wig or clothes.

If any BJD enthusiasts know of forums, websites or places where people sell second hand BJDs for more reasonable prices I'd love to know about them.

The biggest problem in the BJD world is that the dolls don't always depreciate that much in value. And if the one you have in mind is a limited edition...finding it cheaper is going to be tough.

THAT SAID, you could join a forum like Den of Angels, Dairyland, or some other regional forum and see if they have marketplaces (DoA does, I'm pretty sure Dairyland does, and either or both places could probably point you in the direction of other forums that might meet your needs). On DoA they have forum sections specifically devoted to selling dolls and you can look there. I'm pretty sure they let you put out want-to-buy posts for dolls as well if the one you want isn't already listed. I mean, it's not guarantee that you're going to get a response at all, let alone an offer that's reasonable, but it's worth a try.

You could look for dolls on eBay as well but if you're at all concerned about avoiding recasts I'm not sure how trustworthy eBay is. I'm also going to admit that I've never bought a second-hand doll anyway because I'm too freaked out about the possibility of recasts and scammers. But I'm probably just being paranoid because the majority of these transactions seem to be successful.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My parents got me an anatomically correct boy baby doll when my mom was pregnant with my brother. I was expected to change his diapers, so it was definitely necessary to discuss anatomical differences!

I got a "Chrissy" doll that was nearly as big as I was before my sister was born. I was a lot more interested in her retractable hair than her privates.

Any girl who has ever had a baby brother knows exactly what is different about little boys. Other than trying to avoid getting sprayed with urine, so what?

With all the parenting the J'Slaves do of their younger siblings is there any doubt large or even medium sized families are able to or even try to hide the differences between male and female genitalia? If so maybe that is why female fundie babies all seem to wear flower toting headbands... so you can tell they are girls!

Must have been a slow news day for this toy to become the focus of so much drama. :lol:

I got a "Chrissy" doll that was nearly as big as I was before my sister was born. I was a lot more interested in her retractable hair than her privates.

Any girl who has ever had a baby brother knows exactly what is different about little boys. Other than trying to avoid getting sprayed with urine, so what?

With all the parenting the J'Slaves do of their younger siblings is there any doubt large or even medium sized families are able to or even try to hide the differences between male and female genitalia? If so maybe that is why female fundie babies all seem to wear flower toting headbands... so you can tell they are girls!

Must have been a slow news day for this toy to become the focus of so much drama. :lol:

In my church, unmarried teen girls and women weren't even allowed to change baby boys.

In my church, unmarried teen girls and women weren't even allowed to change baby boys.

I've never heard of that before! What church?

I asked my daughters dad if he would be upset if I bought our daughter an anatomically correct boy doll. He said "Keep it at your house!"

Seriously? What is the difference between her having a baby doll with a penis and taking a shower with her dad? I mean, eventually she is going to realize Daddy has different parts than her. So whats the difference in her learning boys and girls have different parts from a doll?

I asked my daughters dad if he would be upset if I bought our daughter an anatomically correct boy doll. He said "Keep it at your house!"

Seriously? What is the difference between her having a baby doll with a penis and taking a shower with her dad? I mean, eventually she is going to realize Daddy has different parts than her. So whats the difference in her learning boys and girls have different parts from a doll?

Maybe, when/if the time is right, you should ask him that.

Maybe, when/if the time is right, you should ask him that.

Or, as someone with exhaustive experience in the dance of co-parenting .......pick your battles. Your kid is a toddler, you have an estimated 5 billion parenting details to negotiate / fight with him about while your child is growing up. Choose wisely. Just a been there, done that observation.

I don't understand why anyone would object to dolls with penises. I think it's great, because dolls shouldn't be seen as just toys for girls and I've seen little boys be disappointed or confused by the lack of peen on dolls before. It's harmless, penises aren't anything to be ashamed of.

And yeah, little boys are not shy about whipping it out at ALL. Once I was babysitting and I took the two boys (aged 8 and 3) to the pool for day. At the end of the day while I was getting the 3 year old changed back into his regular clothes he pulled off his boardies, ran out of the change rooms and began to run around outside on the grass completely naked. And then, to top it all off, he began to pee as he ran.

I was halfway between amused and horrified. Thankfully the other patrons weren't worried by it at all!

I worked in a summer camp for preschoolers once. I was working with 2 and 3 year olds. After outside play time (where the kids got to run through sprinklers) the counselors would have to help the kids change into dry clothes (3 counselors helping 15 wet kids isn't enough). One time a little boy and girl were talking, and suddenly the boy whips it out.

Another video:

blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2014/07/31/toys-r-us-anatomically-correct-baby-boy-doll-causes-a-stir/

"Why does it have to have a peepee?"

"Because boys have peepees!"

By making such a big deal over anatomically correct dolls, these people are sending a pretty strong message to their kids that there's something inherently wrong (or at least not entirely right) with genitals.

Maybe if I had an anatomically correct doll as a kid I wouldn't view penises (penii?) as harbingers of doom (though, I blame my health class for that mindset).

I still have mine. It's currently stored in my husband's closet.

I wanted a Midge doll as a kid! Can't believe they took those off the market. Pfft. Maybe if they bring them back when I have kids I'll get one for them. After seeing an amazing Barbie Dream House at Target, bigger and better than the one I had, I decided when I have kids I'll get them all the toys I want, and play with them when the kids aren't around.

ETA: I think once I get a job I'll start an "inappropriate doll" collection. On my list are: this penis doll, Growing Up Skipper, and pregnant Midge. I think Barbie also had a pooping dog. I miss the 90s and the shit Mattel got away with...

I know people are talking about the controversy over growing up Skipper, but I think people need to remember this was pre-Internet, so " controversy" usually meant a few people writing letters to a newspaper or making angry phone calls to a corporation. If it was something with any sex /freak factor maybe it would get a new story in the back page of a newspaper or maybe - extremely unlikely- a minute out of the precious hour of news.

It's not like now where people can create a huge controversy over absolutely anything by posting about on YouTube or Facebook or a thousand whack-a-doodle forums. Drumming up support so it goes viral and become cause of the week on all 4,000 round the clock " news" shows. So thousands of consumers can scream their outrage until a product is removed.

I don't recall anything about the Skipper controversy, but I think it would be very easy to get a toy like Skipper removed today.

Wow! Which church was that?

I had priests telling me not to talk to boys or wear lipstick, but handing the baby brother over when Mom needed a break... nobody gave it a second thought.

This is an honest question, not a snark based one. If unmarried girls and women where not allowed to change baby boys diapers, didn't that cause logistics problems for the wives and mothers trying to manage their young children at church or anywhere else in public?

Ok, here comes the snark: So if you had a spinster and a widow of the same age, the spinster couldn't change a baby boy, but the widow could?

This concept is a new one to me.

Wow! Which church was that?

I had priests telling me not to talk to boys or wear lipstick, but handing the baby brother over when Mom needed a break... nobody gave it a second thought.

This is an honest question, not a snark based one. If unmarried girls and women where not allowed to change baby boys diapers, didn't that cause logistics problems for the wives and mothers trying to manage their young children at church or anywhere else in public?

Ok, here comes the snark: So if you had a spinster and a widow of the same age, the spinster couldn't change a baby boy, but the widow could?

This concept is a new one to me.

My parents were members of the IFB. I have no idea about the spinster/widow thing. The nursery was usually staffed with a couple married women and a teen girl or two. I suppose the older unmarried woman would be classified with the teens if she were on the nursery schedule.

This was JUST in the nursery. Mothers could make whatever choices they wanted to, I'd assume.

Archived