IGNORED

Shield Your Eyes! This doll has a penis!

FJismyheadship

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had an anatomically correct doll when i was little :lol: i have no idea though why parents would want to buy one for their kids... i'd just rather that whole discussion not be part of playtime, but everyone's opinion is different. Imo it's just as good training on changing diapers for kids to play pretend with a generic eat/drink doll. That is kind of hilarious that the packaging has a big heart on it though. Someone in marketing got the can. :D

I had one when I was a little girl in the 70's... I guess my parents bought it when my little brother was born :) It was not a big deal, just a baby boy doll, I don't see where is the problem :?

I collect ball-jointed dolls and most of them are sort of vaguely correct, there are some that are... well...

http://spiritdoll.net/node/242 - this is a direct link to a nekkid but quite realistic doll who has magnetic bits (pixeled out but well, you can tell they are there) in various configurations (he comes with three different stages of um, interest) tastefully referred to as 'option parts'.

(A friend ordered one and he was shipped here. We spent 2 weeks gleefully sticking the magnetic penii to things and taking pictures of them.)

That's hilarious!

This doll would make me extremely uncomfortable because I'm, well, I'm awkward like that. I didn't have brothers growing up, so seeing baby/toddler boys naked (changing their diapers, giving them baths) is really weird for me. Now that I've got two little nephews, I'm getting better about it, though!

Someone gave my sister a Growing up Skipper doll when we were little. Let me tell you, that thing gave us an entirely incorrect view of puberty.

Let's just say that spinning your arms around does NOT make breasts grow.

(Also, I'd have been fine getting an anatomically correct boy doll for my boys. One of mine had a little baby that he toted everywhere as a toddler, and I even made him some little diapers that matched my son's cloth diapers. He was utterly perplexed as to why his supposed-to-be-a-boy doll was missing some pretty important parts.)

I'm going to date myself here, but this uproar makes me think of the infamous 'Baby Joey' doll. I never realized how much the doll looks like a creepy baby version of Carroll O'Connor. 1314268442289_joeystivic3.jpg

Someone gave my sister a Growing up Skipper doll when we were little. Let me tell you, that thing gave us an entirely incorrect view of puberty.

(Also, I'd have been fine getting an anatomically correct boy doll for my boys. One of mine had a little baby that he toted everywhere as a toddler, and I even made him some little diapers that matched my son's cloth diapers. He was utterly perplexed as to why his supposed-to-be-a-boy doll was missing some pretty important parts.)

Exactly my thinking!

My younger brother had a few dolls, none of which were anatomically correct. It's curious to me that my parents were so adamant about me not having Barbie dolls, because they offered inaccurate representations of women, but weren't fussed about my brother playing with dolls who, though male, didn't have genitalia.

My little sister had an anatomically correct boy doll when she was younger (and I think one or two of the girl ones were anatomically correct too). It really is no big deal, some babies have penises, its not like kids don't know that-they might have a penis, or might see their mom change their baby brother's diaper and see that he has a penis. Its not like you can hide that people have genitals forever, most kids are aware that penises and vaginas exist.

I'm going to date myself here, but this uproar makes me think of the infamous 'Baby Joey' doll. I never realized how much the doll looks like a creepy baby version of Carroll O'Connor. 1314268442289_joeystivic3.jpg

That doll really is creepy, and not because he has genitals. I don't remember having an anatomically correct doll growing up, but I did have a younger brother and cousins who were all males on my dad's side of the family, so I knew that what made boys different was that they have a penis and that I had a vagina as I was a girl. In my family, the males were circumcised in the hospital as that was what was normally done in the 80's. If children have opposite gender siblings and cousins, they become aware of genitals when they happen to be around during diaper changes.

At the time, that little tiny doll penis caused a LOT of pearl-clutching controversy.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone remember the uproar a few years ago with the pregnant Midge doll? Jeebus forbid our children realize that babies grow inside mommy before their born.

I collect ball-jointed dolls and most of them are sort of vaguely correct, there are some that are... well...

http://spiritdoll.net/node/242 - this is a direct link to a nekkid but quite realistic doll who has magnetic bits (pixeled out but well, you can tell they are there) in various configurations (he comes with three different stages of um, interest) tastefully referred to as 'option parts'.

(A friend ordered one and he was shipped here. We spent 2 weeks gleefully sticking the magnetic penii to things and taking pictures of them.)

HILARIOUS. I am most intrigued by the photo of the doll sitting crossed legged... clearly, you take the 'option part' off for that pose? :clap:

Ha! My mom actually bought a book to try to teach me about the subject. My little brother wasn't born till I was 7, but mom didn't want me to go off to kindergarten not knowing.

What I didn't tell her until 20 years later (I honestly thought she'd already figured it out, or I might've mentioned it sooner) is that the neighbor boy and I used to go off behind the trees and show each other our crotches. There was nothing sexual about this, we were 5 or younger, and honestly just curious.

Once my little brother was born 2 years later, my parents had no problem with me gazing at his genitals and changing his diapers.

I'm not sure they would've bought me an anatomically correct baby doll if it was advertised, but if it came with a tiny penis, I don't think they would've flipped out about it.

From their perspective, it was better that I learn these differences from them instead of...wherever else they thought I might learn it, I guess. Like behind the tree with the neighbor kid. Heh.

I don't see the big deal; I feel that there are more important things be concerned about. If a child receives this doll as a gift, will it be very long before some child cuts its penis off with a pair of scissors or their dog chews it off? :popcorn2:

At the time, that little tiny doll penis caused a LOT of pearl-clutching controversy.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone remember the uproar a few years ago with the pregnant Midge doll? Jeebus forbid our children realize that babies grow inside mommy before their born.

i remember those! except i remember one from the 90's, not the most recent version. The magnetic tummy kind of freaked me out as a kid. What do you do with that piece once the baby is "born"? it's like a removable arm or something, just thrown into the barbie shoe bin. :think: We never had one, but it would have been interesting.

I remember something that caused an uproar back in the 90s. It was the plush dogs and cats that were pregnant and came with puppies and kittens inside of them. Kids could pull the little babies out of the uterus and pretend that the toy was giving birth.

I heard so many complaints from my parents' friends about how inappropriate those were. My personal experience with one comes from the time I was leaving a swim meet. I saw a little girl, about 5, playing with a pregnant kitty plush, and I overheard her mom clearly say, “Come on, Lacey, we're leaving! I told you to pack up your toys ten minutes ago, now move!†The cat was on a blanket and several of the kitties had already been “delivered.†One was still halfway hanging out of the mama cat. Lacey ran over and began frantically shoving all the kittens back up into the plush uterus as fast as possible, muttering, “It's okay, you can be born again when we get home, I won't make you stay in there forever.†:laughing-rolling:

:D :lol: Every ten year old girl knows the way to make your breasts grow isn't to spin your arm around ala Skipper; it's to pump your arms behind your back while chanting " we must, we must, we must increase our bust! The bigger the better, the tighter the sweater, the boys depend on us!"

Just realized that little rhyme probably is waaayyyy too politically incorrect for girls nowdays! Wonder if they still do it anyway?

I think the anatomically correct doll controversy comes around every ten years or so. I think it makes sense to have dolls with at least the suggestion of a normal baby appearance, both boy and girl dolls. Because lack of a penis does not equal lack of genitalia.

Any child with younger brothers is well aware that boy children come with penises. Little boys aren't shy about weeing, or playing with their penises, or walking round naked.

HILARIOUS. I am most intrigued by the photo of the doll sitting crossed legged... clearly, you take the 'option part' off for that pose? :clap:

I notice that they have a whole list of measurements, length and girth of arms, legs, etc. Except there is [ahem] one body part they don't seem to list the dimensions of… … in any of its "iterations" :lol:

Of all the places to run into another BJD collector :lol: I don't have a Spiritdoll but I DO have an Iplehouse EID and everything about him is massive. Even his bits (which aren't as fun as the Spiritdoll ones, but still).

Anyway, I don't get the PROBLEM with anatomically-correct baby dolls. I had a lot of baby dolls as a kid, including two really lovely anatomically-correct ones (a boy and a girl). They were my favorites precisely because they were so realistic overall, and I remember begging my parents for them. I'm pretty sure my parents' objection to them was the cost, not the anatomical correctness. I just...what do people think is going to happen if kids have anatomically-correct dolls to play with?

I don't understand why anyone would object to dolls with penises. I think it's great, because dolls shouldn't be seen as just toys for girls and I've seen little boys be disappointed or confused by the lack of peen on dolls before. It's harmless, penises aren't anything to be ashamed of.

And yeah, little boys are not shy about whipping it out at ALL. Once I was babysitting and I took the two boys (aged 8 and 3) to the pool for day. At the end of the day while I was getting the 3 year old changed back into his regular clothes he pulled off his boardies, ran out of the change rooms and began to run around outside on the grass completely naked. And then, to top it all off, he began to pee as he ran.

I was halfway between amused and horrified. Thankfully the other patrons weren't worried by it at all!

My parents got me an anatomically correct boy baby doll when my mom was pregnant with my brother. I was expected to change his diapers, so it was definitely necessary to discuss anatomical differences!

Archived