IGNORED

Shield Your Eyes! This doll has a penis!

FJismyheadship

Anyway, I don't get the PROBLEM with anatomically-correct baby dolls. I had a lot of baby dolls as a kid, including two really lovely anatomically-correct ones (a boy and a girl). They were my favorites precisely because they were so realistic overall, and I remember begging my parents for them. I'm pretty sure my parents' objection to them was the cost, not the anatomical correctness. I just...what do people think is going to happen if kids have anatomically-correct dolls to play with?

By making such a big deal over anatomically correct dolls, these people are sending a pretty strong message to their kids that there's something inherently wrong (or at least not entirely right) with genitals.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cousin had an anatomically correct boy doll when we were kids, and I thought it was really cool because it was so realistic. I had a little brother, so penises didn't faze me at all.

I have two toddler boys who love to run around naked, and there's something so endearing about how carefree they are about nudity, with their cute bums and boy bits and knees and toes and belly buttons. I have started conversations with my eldest about private parts and wearing pants in public, but I'd hate for him to ever get the idea that parts of his body are so unspeakably shameful that we have to pretend that they don't exist.

I remember reading that rhyme in Are you there God, it's me, Margaret.

Even at that age, I thought it was weird. It was my opinion that the main character was really dumb for WANTING to go through puberty. The other parts, to me, were far more interesting.

Every ten year old girl knows the way to make your breasts grow isn't to spin your arm around ala Skipper; it's to pump your arms behind your back while chanting " we must, we must, we must increase our bust! The bigger the better, the tighter the sweater, the boys depend on us!"

Just realized that little rhyme probably is waaayyyy too politically incorrect for girls nowdays! Wonder if they still do it anyway?

Girls did when I was 13, 14. They'd add "We ask, we ask, we ask for a smaller ass!" My 5"7, eight stone, and 34DD self would defiantly refuse to join in. I thought they were daft, especially when they'd frantically say it was the only way they were ever going to get a boy.

I have to admit, I can kind of see the argument for a notice on the package. I've worked in a few toy departments that had anatomically correct boy dolls, and the packages had a little bubble of text (often heart-shaped!) that said "This doll is anatomically correct". (I had a few customers, even, who wanted that kind of doll, gasp!) This way, if, for whatever reason, you don't want your daughter to know little boys have dangling participles, you can choose.

Getting up and arms about it, tho? Please. Go home and bake a cake.

I remember something that caused an uproar back in the 90s. It was the plush dogs and cats that were pregnant and came with puppies and kittens inside of them. Kids could pull the little babies out of the uterus and pretend that the toy was giving birth.

I heard so many complaints from my parents' friends about how inappropriate those were. My personal experience with one comes from the time I was leaving a swim meet. I saw a little girl, about 5, playing with a pregnant kitty plush, and I overheard her mom clearly say, “Come on, Lacey, we're leaving! I told you to pack up your toys ten minutes ago, now move!†The cat was on a blanket and several of the kitties had already been “delivered.†One was still halfway hanging out of the mama cat. Lacey ran over and began frantically shoving all the kittens back up into the plush uterus as fast as possible, muttering, “It's okay, you can be born again when we get home, I won't make you stay in there forever.†:laughing-rolling:

I still have mine. It's currently stored in my husband's closet.

Even at that age, I thought it was weird. It was my opinion that the main character was really dumb for WANTING to go through puberty. The other parts, to me, were far more interesting.

As a late bloomer, I could relate to Margaret. I don't think it's so much about wanting to have periods every month, it's more about getting it that first time just to know you're normal. It's tough when all the other girls are experiencing changes and you still look like a nine-year-old, especially when people mistake you for a nine-year-old and therefore treat you like one.

I was the opposite. I was thrilled to be an early bloomer and would walk around with my little boobs stuck out, or push my arms together and lean onto the table or desk so I could make cleavage and pick shirts specifically because you could tell there was a bra underneath. :embarrassed: :lol:

And to the poster who said their friends included a line about wishing for a smaller ass --no way! I wanted those hips and bubble butt to arrive as well :D

The way I learned it was:

"The bigger the better

The tighter the sweater

The better the boys will like us!"

(says she who was a B-cup at 12)

I'm buying two of this doll. Today. I'm not making that up. One for my girls, and one for a friend's son who loves baby dolls. (Yes, boys play with baby dolls too.)

Grow up. It's just a body. If people having penises and vaginas makes you uncomfortable, that's your problem. My kids won't be growing up thinking anything is inherently gross and shameful. My kids are more comfortable about human body differences than many adults. I guess my kids are more mature and body-positive than a lot of adults who claim to be.

I had a doll with a penis as a kid (mid 70's) Most of the time I would ignore it and dress it up in girl clothes because I didn't care for the few boy clothes I had. :lol:

I was the opposite. I was thrilled to be an early bloomer and would walk around with my little boobs stuck out, or push my arms together and lean onto the table or desk so I could make cleavage and pick shirts specifically because you could tell there was a bra underneath. :embarrassed: :lol:

I was a very early bloomer, and was teased so bad I eventually had to be pulled from school. :(

I'm going to date myself here, but this uproar makes me think of the infamous 'Baby Joey' doll.

That was a two-part outrage -- some people were freaked out because they also showed the actual baby in a full-frontal diaper change on the show:

Amazingly, the world did not come to an end.

With all due respect to Alicia Keys and "Girl On Fire":

It's just a doll that's got a penis

A G-d d*mned f*cking dildo, with which your kids can play

It has got testicles and it has a penis

It's a catastrophe, and it will lead your kids astray

Ohhhhh oh oh oh oh

The heathens have done it now

Something we can't allow

Ohhhhh oh oh oh oh

This certainly won't please G-d

And it's meant to defraud

This doll has a penis

This doll has a penis

D*amn thang's got a penis

This doll has a penis...

Sing it, you know you want to :D

Someone gave my sister a Growing up Skipper doll when we were little. Let me tell you, that thing gave us an entirely incorrect view of puberty.

Let's just say that spinning your arms around does NOT make breasts grow.

(Also, I'd have been fine getting an anatomically correct boy doll for my boys. One of mine had a little baby that he toted everywhere as a toddler, and I even made him some little diapers that matched my son's cloth diapers. He was utterly perplexed as to why his supposed-to-be-a-boy doll was missing some pretty important parts.)

Wait....do I understand this correctly? Spinning Skippers arms around made her boobs grow?!?!?! OMG GREAT!

My sister was a bit twisted with her barbies. Let's say Skipper cheated on Ken.... Skipper would be sporting a buzz cut. Barbie disses her friend... Barbies hair was chopped off with black sharpie on her eyes. So she had a Skipper that was this french kissing skipper... so crazy lol. Push a button on her back and her tongue came out. So Skipper "Cheated" on her husband and she bit the lips off of kissing Skipper.

My sister was a bit deranged, lol!

Wait....do I understand this correctly? Spinning Skippers arms around made her boobs grow?!?!?! OMG GREAT!

My sister was a bit twisted with her barbies. Let's say Skipper cheated on Ken.... Skipper would be sporting a buzz cut. Barbie disses her friend... Barbies hair was chopped off with black sharpie on her eyes. So she had a Skipper that was this french kissing skipper... so crazy lol. Push a button on her back and her tongue came out. So Skipper "Cheated" on her husband and she bit the lips off of kissing Skipper.

My sister was a bit deranged, lol!

Growing up Skipper was awesome! Not only did spinning her arm make her boobs grow, it also made her slightly taller, AND gave her a waist. And she had a set of little girl clothes and a set of cool teen clothes. Apparently she also had a friend who also went throw puberty and additional clothing set and even a transforming bedroom.

http://www.fashion-doll-guide.com/Growi ... -Doll.html

I was just slightly past Barbies when she came out, but my little sister had one, and I thought it was phenomenal. Of course I'm also the kid who was thrilled to get boobs early so I could fudge on my age to the cute boys. :embarrassed:

I have never heard of a French kissing Skipper!

wow that site is a new addiction :D i love dolls.

i got my daughter this one for Christmas this year, but i'm not sure how i'll be able to hide it from her for that long. It's not anatomically correct, but she does help me change her little brother's diapers (handing me wipes, etc.) so she does know about boy/girl anatomy even though she's never asked about it. (she's almost 5).

post-10046-14451999332605_thumb.jpg

it's from a reborn dealer but it's just the basic JC Toys stock doll with a magnet added for a paci. i would love to get her one of the Amore dolls that actually opens and closes its own eyes and can drink/wet and she can give it baths. (the amore doll is actually a toy meant to be played with by little girls, not as a display like an actual reborn doll). But i've never seen one of them for sale, even online, and anyway it's got to be outrageously expensive. Rather let her have dance or music classes if it was that much.

baby amore

[bBvideo 560,340:1pu73591]
[/bBvideo]

i just love getting realistic dolls for her to play with, and sewing them clothes and blankets and things... I guess it's my quiverfull side coming out in spite of not being fundie anymore. :D

But as long as it doesn't get this bad we're okay, right? ...right? (A mom and daughter with a collection of about 20 reborn dolls)

[bBvideo 560,340:1pu73591]
[/bBvideo]

sigh. i need to get a real hobby. :lol: :embarrassed: Dolls and pretend play are a pretty cheap hobby since most of what goes with it can be homemade. So glad my hubby and i decided to stop with just two children... so we would be able to do fun things instead of always being stressed to the max and barely getting the basics of life done well, let alone affording time to play or do things that are basically useless, just fun. :lol: i'm so type a i'd never be able to play toys with them if we had 7 or 8 kids. It would be laundry and dishes 24/7. And my goodness, trying to give them a quality education on top of it all, there's just no way i could handle the pressure. I think a lot of quiverfull SAHDs when they finally get a family of their own will choose smaller families if they are brave enough. After helping raise my younger siblings in shoestring budget conditions i just choose to avoid those hardships over again.

it's from a reborn dealer but it's just the basic JC Toys stock doll with a magnet added for a paci. i would love to get her one of the Amore dolls that actually opens and closes its own eyes and can drink/wet and she can give it baths. (the amore doll is actually a toy meant to be played with by little girls, not as a display like an actual reborn doll). But i've never seen one of them for sale, even online, and anyway it's got to be outrageously expensive. Rather let her have dance or music classes if it was that much.

Well, dear Coco - see what I just found on german Amazon :mrgreen:

Is it this one ( better don´t mind the somewhat crude italian-to-german translation) ?

http://www.amazon.de/Spiele-kostbare-ba ... baby+amore

However, I would like to throw the potential danger of unsafe materials, which the baby dolls are unfortunately often made of, into this discussion...

Our oldest daughter got her first babydoll for her birthday last year & we were quite scared by the tiny amount of safe-to-play dolls, if you take into consideration that a special toy like a doll should create a lasting and postitive memory.

(Our girls have of course other dolls :lol: - but Waldorf dolls, so the unsafe-material question didn´t really come up before)

We opted for the Schildkröt baby doll, as it is PHALATE FREE (and really beautiful in every detail).

Kids-approved and parents-recommened! :D

Growing up Skipper was awesome! Not only did spinning her arm make her boobs grow, it also made her slightly taller, AND gave her a waist. And she had a set of little girl clothes and a set of cool teen clothes. Apparently she also had a friend who also went throw puberty and additional clothing set and even a transforming bedroom.

http://www.fashion-doll-guide.com/Growi ... -Doll.html

I was just slightly past Barbies when she came out, but my little sister had one, and I thought it was phenomenal. Of course I'm also the kid who was thrilled to get boobs early so I could fudge on my age to the cute boys. :embarrassed:

I have never heard of a French kissing Skipper!

Probably because it doesn't exist :3

Well, dear Coco - see what I just found on german Amazon :mrgreen:

Is it this one ( better don´t mind the somewhat crude italian-to-german translation) ?

http://www.amazon.de/Spiele-kostbare-ba ... baby+amore

However, I would like to throw the potential danger of unsafe materials, which the baby dolls are unfortunately often made of, into this discussion...

Our oldest daughter got her first babydoll for her birthday last year & we were quite scared by the tiny amount of safe-to-play dolls, if you take into consideration that a special toy like a doll should create a lasting and postitive memory.

(Our girls have of course other dolls :lol: - but Waldorf dolls, so the unsafe-material question didn´t really come up before)

We opted for the Schildkröt baby doll, as it is PHALATE FREE (and really beautiful in every detail).

Kids-approved and parents-recommened! :D

oh that is awesome! :D thank you. So i'm guessing about $75? That's not too awful. Oh actually over $100 with shipping. yikes lol But yes the BPA and things like that are a concern, esp with a really loved toy. Waldorf dolls are so sweet. <3 We have The Children's Year and would like to make a few of them with her too, good way to teach her how to sew. We have long winters here so lovely playthings are worth the time.

I would LOVE to get into BJDs, but they're simply too expensive for me. I think they're so beautiful and expressive and I love the customisation. There's this one BJD I've been lusting over for so long but it's $700 without face on, a wig or clothes.

If any BJD enthusiasts know of forums, websites or places where people sell second hand BJDs for more reasonable prices I'd love to know about them.

Archived